Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:49 am
elflaco2 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:59 pm got jabbed, poked, boostered. 3rd shot all done. had a fairly productive workday afterwards, even as it was interrupted by barrage of emails/text messages about the boy's upcoming trip to Texas (soccer showcase in Houston.. yeah, @Giff.. i'll let you know)

just now starting to feel the dead arm.
Please do!
The flack: Tournaments on the northside, when can you be here?

Giff: six hours or so.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Neighboring town (Summit) did a random test of 1000 students and teachers. 50% tested positive.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Holy shit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Good thing they decided to go remote for... the last two days of this week?

Our schools announced that they're virtual again next week.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:38 am Good thing they decided to go remote for... the last two days of this week?

Our Superintendent sent out a letter saying every school district going remote is violating the law and she refuses to violate the law, so blame the Governor. I'm fine with holding in school sessions, but don't understand why there can't be a remote option for vaccinated kids who are exposed. Half the school is out sick and calling in remote, so why force other kids, many who will test positive in a day or two, to attend in person?
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Does your superintendent think our superintendent is going to get arrested or something?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:43 am Does your superintendent think our superintendent is going to get arrested or something?
No, but she is probably sick of people complaining and asking her to change the rules or citing all the local schools that went remote, so she is saying she doesn't have any authority, so blame the Governor. Our Superintendent retired a couple years ago, and the President of the School Board pushed through an unqualified teacher into the position, and she's been a trainwreck. I think she caved in after being bullied by some of the Town nutters pushing for full in-school since day one. President of the Board lost his reelection after winning for as long as I can remember because he is blamed for pushing her through improperly. One of the new Board members is a nutjob who constantly sues the Town to release irrelevant documents.
-Pruitt
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:38 am Good thing they decided to go remote for... the last two days of this week?

Summit will be back to “normal” on Monday with not enough staff; guaranteed. The company they hired to do the testing didn’t deliver on their promises. If a family had more than one kid tested, and there was a positive, the company was going to notify the family about the positive, but would not say which of the kids tested positive. I would say it’s a shit-show in Summit, but that would be an insult to shit-shows.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Reaper wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:51 am To top it off, my dad always gives me lottery tickets for my birthday. Plays my four-digit birthday in the pick 4 for about a week. It came out on Tuesday. Except this year he mailed it with my birthday card because he wasn't sure when he'd see me. Mailed it on Friday from two zip codes over, still haven't received it and it's not in our mail preview for today. Could be about 5 grand floating in the netherworld, or some postal carrier's wallet now.
I had updated the previous part before so I took that out of the quote, but some good news out of this. Exactly three weeks after it was mailed, this card with everything in it arrived. Guess that'll be the last time he mails anything to me. He's 80 years old and probably would rather walk the eight miles to my house than go through that again.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Reaper wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:50 pm
Reaper wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:51 am To top it off, my dad always gives me lottery tickets for my birthday. Plays my four-digit birthday in the pick 4 for about a week. It came out on Tuesday. Except this year he mailed it with my birthday card because he wasn't sure when he'd see me. Mailed it on Friday from two zip codes over, still haven't received it and it's not in our mail preview for today. Could be about 5 grand floating in the netherworld, or some postal carrier's wallet now.
I had updated the previous part before so I took that out of the quote, but some good news out of this. Exactly three weeks after it was mailed, this card with everything in it arrived. Guess that'll be the last time he mails anything to me. He's 80 years old and probably would rather walk the eight miles to my house than go through that again.
Thanks, Louis DeJoy!

Glad you finally got it. My parents stopped mailing gift certificates to my sister and her kids. Always took 10+ days, and birthday cards were noticeably opened and sometimes gift cards removed.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nice!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:25 am
Reaper wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:50 pm
Thanks, Louis DeJoy!

Glad you finally got it. My parents stopped mailing gift certificates to my sister and her kids. Always took 10+ days, and birthday cards were noticeably opened and sometimes gift cards removed.
I used to mail gift cards to my nieces for Christmas. Now, I figure it’s safer to just send a check.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Oldest daughter is supposed to get on a plane this afternoon to go to Italy for her semester abroad. Its been a stressful week, as she tested positive last Monday, and you have to have a negative test to get in the country.

She took a home test last night that was negative, and she just now got her 'official' test. Waiting on the result. If it's negative, she gets on a plane at 2pm. If positive, we reschedule her flight for next week.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:38 am Oldest daughter is supposed to get on a plane this afternoon to go to Italy for her semester abroad. Its been a stressful week, as she tested positive last Monday, and you have to have a negative test to get in the country.

She took a home test last night that was negative, and she just now got her 'official' test. Waiting on the result. If it's negative, she gets on a plane at 2pm. If positive, we reschedule her flight for next week.
Buona fortuna!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:52 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:38 am Oldest daughter is supposed to get on a plane this afternoon to go to Italy for her semester abroad. Its been a stressful week, as she tested positive last Monday, and you have to have a negative test to get in the country.

Buona fortuna!
Test came back negative! She's good to go!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Great news.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Awesome!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Probably the same for most of you, but I know, or know of, more covid positive cases in the last 2 weeks than at any point over the last two years. Pretty staggering, really.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Going to another country to go to school is such an awesome thing. And something that never seemed in even the realm of possibility when I was younger. Totally jealous. Italy is a great time. The pizza is delicious and the Sistine Chapel is overrated.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

phxgators wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:07 pm Probably the same for most of you, but I know, or know of, more covid positive cases in the last 2 weeks than at any point over the last two years. Pretty staggering, really.
100%. Fortunately not a single person has/had symptoms worse than a sore throat and cold symptoms. I wonder how much of it is more available home tests. I've seen some articles saying non-COVID corona viruses might show as positive on COVID tests. No idea if that is accurate.

I'm really hoping this slows down soon. Trying to figure out rational limits on the kids' activities is driving me nuts. We said we were waiting a couple weeks on indoor sports, but my son had an indoor track meet, and with late notice he was selected for a relay race, if he didn't go, the other three were screwed, so we let him go. Said no to a sleepover party for my daughter. All the other girls recently had COVID, so I think people who had it are saying fuck it, and returning to normal. Said no to a basketball scrimmage last week, but soccer (indoor) and basketball back in swing this week. High school is half day, so they eat at home, middle school back to full day today. My daughter's birthday is Friday. We were considering setting up the movie screen outside with hot chocolate, a fire pit and heat lamps, but it's going to be too cold. Not ready to throw an indoor party at my house.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We are taking both kids back to their respective schools in Denver later this week. Flight got canceled today, but wife got on the horn and just booked us out of BWI instead. (PITA vs. Dulles for us, but I'll take it in these circumstances.)

Biggest fear is getting something on the flight out there and then.. I dunno. Supposed to fly back on Sunday... Bringing my laptop in case we need to stay in CO an extra batch of days if positive. Weird to have to factor that in, frankly.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:11 pm Going to another country to go to school is such an awesome thing. And something that never seemed in even the realm of possibility when I was younger. Totally jealous. Italy is a great time. The pizza is delicious and the Sistine Chapel is overrated.
My god, yes. I've taken a lot of shit for holding this opinion, but I agree 100%.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, this whole situation sucks for us all. I have tickets for the Sharks/Rangers hockey game this Thursday. On one hand, I paid serious bucks for them (many months ago), it will be fun, and the Sharks aren't drawing well at all right now, so it shouldn't be too crowded. But, on the other hand, it will be the most crowded, most indoor place we've visited for some time, and I'm taking shit about it from the wife, who very logically points out how good we've been about not going to indoor restaurants, malls, etc., so wtf, man...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:37 pm Yeah, this whole situation sucks for us all. I have tickets for the Sharks/Rangers hockey game this Thursday. On one hand, I paid serious bucks for them (many months ago), it will be fun, and the Sharks aren't drawing well at all right now, so it shouldn't be too crowded. But, on the other hand, it will be the most crowded, most indoor place we've visited for some time, and I'm taking shit about it from the wife, who very logically points out how good we've been about not going to indoor restaurants, malls, etc., so wtf, man...
Had this discussion just last week. Decided (with a lot of input from the wife) to not go to TBL/CGY, and listed the tix for resale. Seemed like a lot of others had the same thought, and I only got like 50% back from what my price per game is for the STM.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

We're plowing through at this point. Kid filled in on an indoor Hispanic league soccer game. Awesome experience but yeah those guys lost folks due to covid so... Been playing hoops and went back to the local spot. Kids ate lunch at school too. Day #3 of the new normal and no one is sick yet. I'd give it 2-3 more days for my money. Pray for us.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:30 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:11 pm Going to another country to go to school is such an awesome thing. And something that never seemed in even the realm of possibility when I was younger. Totally jealous. Italy is a great time. The pizza is delicious and the Sistine Chapel is overrated.
My god, yes. I've taken a lot of shit for holding this opinion, but I agree 100%.
I think that, not only is it because of the building being small and the ceiling being high up, it's poorly lit and Kodak Eastman owns the rights to photos taken in it.

So you are now also dealing with these bouncers in red jackets coming after you for the crime of photography. Made the entire experience feel really weird considering it's on the tail end of the Vatican tour and you've been allowed to see really amazing shit and take all the photos you wanted.

Like this. The lighting was perfect for this photo. No filter at all necessary.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Back to serious COVID discussion:

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We (cough wife cough) bought the youngest tickets for Hamilton for Christmas. The purchase was made well before anyone ever heard of "omicron" and the show is this Thursday. As said upthread, plowing through. They're probably going to drive into NYC rather than taking the bus/train.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

phxgators wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:07 pm Probably the same for most of you, but I know, or know of, more covid positive cases in the last 2 weeks than at any point over the last two years. Pretty staggering, really.
Yup. Makes me wonder how close we are to herd immunity at this point. Whether you get COVID, get vaxxed, or both, at some point everyone will have antibodies. In the meantime I stocked up on N95 masks (basically retiring my cloth ones) and have ordered rapid tests.

In one friendship circle we've got a bet going as to who will get it last. Just the other day a friend was sure it was "allergies brought on because it's been windy." Despite us all going "You went to a New Year's Eve party and another friend of ours is positive." He wouldn't give in until he saw his results. We've been giving him shit relentlessly since.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:17 pm In the meantime I stocked up on N95 masks (basically retiring my cloth ones) and have ordered rapid tests.
Speaking of N95 masks, can anyone recommend any good models? I am 0-for-2 so far in finding ones designed by someone who was familiar with the dimensions of a human face.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:21 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:17 pm In the meantime I stocked up on N95 masks (basically retiring my cloth ones) and have ordered rapid tests.
Speaking of N95 masks, can anyone recommend any good models? I am 0-for-2 so far in finding ones designed by someone who was familiar with the dimensions of a human face.
EnochRoot is following this discussion.
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kimberly Clark has duck looking things on Amazon. Maybe a buck a piece. Blue flimsy straps that do not ever ever break. Easy to breathe. You do look like daffy though.

https://www.sfgate.com/shopping/article ... 514098.php

Alas I still have a fat beard that goes on neck beard that's good for letting in covid no matter what brand.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I went with a 50 pack from a company called Boncare. It says KN95 on the side. Got black because I'm stylin' and profilin' like the Nature Boy.

Looks just like this, but I don't think this photo is of that brand specifically:

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Those are the ones my wife got us. And if you double them up, feels pretty solid. I like that they peak out away from the face, so it's not so claustrophobic.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:16 pm I went with a 50 pack from a company called Boncare. It says KN95 on the side. Got black because I'm stylin' and profilin' like the Nature Boy.
Last few projects I have worked on, which have included the contracting of a COVID compliance company, these are the masks that have been provided to us. I give them a thumbs up, including for comfort, as I rarely wear a mask for a long time (work-from-home, etc.).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:17 pm
Yup. Makes me wonder how close we are to herd immunity at this point. Whether you get COVID, get vaxxed, or both, at some point everyone will have antibodies. In the meantime I stocked up on N95 masks (basically retiring my cloth ones) and have ordered rapid tests.

In one friendship circle we've got a bet going as to who will get it last. Just the other day a friend was sure it was "allergies brought on because it's been windy." Despite us all going "You went to a New Year's Eve party and another friend of ours is positive." He wouldn't give in until he saw his results. We've been giving him shit relentlessly since.
I don't think we can ever irradicate through herd immunity, as the virus seems to quickly/easily mutiate. I think this will be like the flu, with different strains coming out every year, if not more often. At some point, when deaths are around flu levels, we just accept it and move on, with new boosters every year or 6 months.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:01 pm Back to serious COVID discussion:

This Tweet led me to respond in a way that led to a week-long suspension. I even deleted it before they suspended my account!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I assume people who say they do their own research accept information from guys like this. From now on, when I read "I do my own research," I'll assume they ward off COVID by drinking their piss, and I can feel less angry after reading their comment.

ETA: I read the article and watched the video... This guy says there is tons and tons of peer reviewed research proving urine is the antidote to COVID. And he said he has been drinking his own urine for 23 years and he is fine, so... I'm convinced! WTF, who would listen to anything this nutter has to say? When you precede everything you say with, "this is going to ruin my credibility, well, I've already done that, but ..." you can be sure the guy isn't a trustworthy source. FFS!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/anti-vax- ... wsource=cl
-Pruitt
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:01 pm Back to serious COVID discussion:

Let them die.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That reminds me of a quote by Neil DeGrasse Tyson which noted that the vast majority of Covid deaths are among likely Republican voters. I wonder if that will be borne out in future elections.