No votes
Nope. Frauds. Temporary.
100%

Total votes: 14

mister d
The Dude

NFTs

Post by mister d »

I checked briefly (sorry Rass) and didn't see an all-encompassing topic so I'm putting it here.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Re: NFTs

Post by tennbengal »

I am gonna clearly never be on board. If this is the future, I am definitely gonna be left behind.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

not all-encompassing, I guess

The whole thing makes me feel dumb.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I assume you can think Top Shots are stupid and still looooooove NFTs so I didn't continue off that thread.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:05 am I am gonna clearly never be on board. If this is the future, I am definitely gonna be left behind.
until the Swamp goes metaverse..and then maybe it will get scores
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I just want to learn to make them so I can sell them and take dumb people's money.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

IMG_0474.jpg
IMG_0474.jpg (197.48 KiB) Viewed 393 times
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I really am old-man-yells-at-cloud about all this.

And, this exacerbates that:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Might as well get on board now, kids. By the end of the decade, you likely won't have a physical driver's license any more. It will be a digital NFT ID that you will show/scan whomever needs to see it (the cops, the DMV, bars, etc.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Sure but that's different than pretending that some digital files that serve no purpose somehow have value because someone decided they did. I'm all for real-world uses of the concept.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:27 pm Sure but that's different than pretending that some digital files that serve no purpose somehow have value because someone decided they did. I'm all for real-world uses of the concept.
Sure, but that's really no different than pretending that piece of cardboard with a baseball player's photo on it is worth $500,000 either.

It's the same idea. It has value because it is perceived to have value and because it's unique and in demand.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:29 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:27 pm Sure but that's different than pretending that some digital files that serve no purpose somehow have value because someone decided they did. I'm all for real-world uses of the concept.
Sure, but that's really no different than pretending that piece of cardboard with a baseball player's photo on it is worth $500,000 either.

It's the same idea. It has value because it is perceived to have value and because it's unique and in demand.
Fungible would like a word!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Except that's a tangible thing.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I think the issue is that this is like every baseball card is worth $500,000 overnight somehow.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I don't understand a single word in this thread.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The baseball card is a 'thing' though that had a physical limitation to the number that could be produced, and a further limitation in that it can degrade over time. Thus it's value is tie to real-world constraints. You know you have something of value because it can be verified that only x were produced and only y remain in good condition.

An NFT doesn't have any limitations, other than that which someone arbitrarily decides. The image on your screen that you bought isn't the 'thing', it's the code that makes it appear. And that code snippet can be replicated ad infinitum and be immortal, we just trust that it won't be because that's what we're told when we give our money for it.

So I guess that's my beef with it. The value is of something non-fungible is artificially-induced and requires a level of trust by the buyer over something that can't ever be verified.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its also not like a Mike Trout common produced for 2021 is being traded for $200K; the extremely expensive baseball cards are such because they're from the past and can't be replicated. I have to assume most of the people who bought present-day cards as investments in the 90s have very little to show for it.

I have no doubt you could buy a monkey today for $200K and find a way to make $225K off it in a few weeks. I very highly doubt that $200K monkey will mean shit to anyone in 2027.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:34 pm Its also not like a Mike Trout common produced for 2021 is being traded for $200K; the extremely expensive baseball cards are such because they're from the past and can't be replicated. I have to assume most of the people who bought present-day cards as investments in the 90s have very little to show for it.

I have no doubt you could buy a monkey today for $200K and find a way to make $225K off it in a few weeks. I very highly doubt that $200K monkey will mean shit to anyone in 2027.
Yeah. I can't get shit for my 1996 Shohei Otani Rising Toddlers card.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

A_B wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:44 pm
Rising Sons ha who missed a pun now?!?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

mister d wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:34 pm Its also not like a Mike Trout common produced for 2021 is being traded for $200K; the extremely expensive baseball cards are such because they're from the past and can't be replicated. I have to assume most of the people who bought present-day cards as investments in the 90s have very little to show for it.

As a budding old man who is starting to yell at clouds, let me say that when my son was a baby (born in 1996) he was given a ton of Beanie Babies. Loved them too. Teethed on a couple that at the time were allegedly worth hundreds of dollars.

Have a feeling that 20 years from now, a lot of these NFTs will be as valuable and as interesting as a spittle-encrusted Jumps the Bullfrog.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I thought Jumps was the shark.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:54 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:44 pm
Rising Sons ha who missed a pun now?!?
Glossed over this...Point to Turd.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

I really wouldn't care about this, but the power and resources usage is an incredible waste. Not only to create, but exchange and verify. Pyramid scheme that hurts everyone and everything around it.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

From the north coast of Lake Ontario
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

such closed mindedness....some of you guys are just not fucking trying.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:34 am such closed mindedness....some of you guys are just not fucking trying.
It's an onion!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

never feed a troll
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If you have a couple hours, this is really, really good:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.