Chicago Restaurant Guide???

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Chicago Restaurant Guide???

Post by Weatherfrog »

I've never been to Chicago. I am going in three weeks. I need dinner reservations for 2 (wife and me) for Saturday. Any suggestions?
Sabo
The Dude

Re: Chicago Restaurant Guide???

Post by Sabo »

Where in Chicago?

If you're near the Magnificent Mile, check out Rosebud's on Rush. I've had a couple of outstanding meals there.

If you're going to Evanston, I'd recommend the Davis Street Fish Market. I've been there multiple times and never had a bad meal.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Renaissance Downtown. I think that is near Magnificent Mile. Is it tough to taxi around?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

It's very easy to get cabs in downtown Chicago.
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Cool. Rosebuds looks good.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Let me ask a friend of mine who's a foodie and works downtown if he has any suggestions. Are you looking for a particular style of food?
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

I want something unique to Chicago, but I am not opposed to "traditional" places like Italian or steakhouse. While something experimental like Moto appeals to me, I would be more than happy with someplace more straightforward. I am very much a steakhouse guy.

Basically, I want a great fucking meal that I won't regret spending a few hundred dollars on.
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Also, thanks.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Probably not what you are looking for, but a buddy of mine owns a killer pizza(east coast style)/brew pub in Wicker Park. Place is called Piece. http://www.piecechicago.com/
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Always looking for good pizza
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I asked my friend for a recommendation, and he wrote the following:
Is he a beer guy, wine guy, small plates vs. big ass steak guy? My most recent awesome meal was at 'Girl & The Goat'. Awesome space, small plates, so many unique and complex flavors, still casual and not pretentious. Kinda hard to get a reservation so he'd have to get on that right away. Easy cab ride from the loop (it's in West Loop).
I told him you were a scotch guy, and most likely a steak guy. He responded with the following:
In that case he can't go wrong at pretty much any of the 4-5 star steakhouses in the City. Gene & Georgetti is arguably the most 'Chicago'. Slightly surly career waitstaff, supper clubby place, etc. Have him hit up Yelp for the other heavy hitters. It's pretty hard to get a bad steak in downtown Chicago unless you end up at Chili's or some shit. ;)
I hope this helps.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

No offense to Dave's guy, but if I'm going to Chicago I'd rather get Chicago-style pizza, even if it isn't my favorite pizza variety.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Of the standard Chicago pizza spots near the loop or gold coast, Lou Malnatis was the best to me. Definitely hit one of the hot dog places with the yellow Vienna hot dog sign, mostly the same, all good.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sabo wrote:I asked my friend for a recommendation, and he wrote the following:
Is he a beer guy, wine guy, small plates vs. big ass steak guy? My most recent awesome meal was at 'Girl & The Goat'. Awesome space, small plates, so many unique and complex flavors, still casual and not pretentious. Kinda hard to get a reservation so he'd have to get on that right away. Easy cab ride from the loop (it's in West Loop).
I told him you were a scotch guy, and most likely a steak guy. He responded with the following:
In that case he can't go wrong at pretty much any of the 4-5 star steakhouses in the City. Gene & Georgetti is arguably the most 'Chicago'. Slightly surly career waitstaff, supper clubby place, etc. Have him hit up Yelp for the other heavy hitters. It's pretty hard to get a bad steak in downtown Chicago unless you end up at Chili's or some shit. ;)
I hope this helps.
Girl & The Goat is the place run by Stephanie Izard, who won Top Chef a few years ago. Everything I've heard about that place has been good...

I've never been much of a steak house guy, but I went to the Chicago Chop House years ago, and it was pretty damn good. I remember the creamed spinach being really damn tasty.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

An old friend is the GM at The Dawson. If he's involved, it means some tasty craft cocktails.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

So, I tried Girl and Goat to no avail, but I got reservations at Blackbird. That place is supposed to be cool and Tony Bourdain recommended it on one of his shows, so there you go. Going the artsy-fartsy route, but I understand that they have actual entrees and not just "tastings," which should be cool. Thanks again for all the advice.

I'm also getting some deep dish, and I will try to find an italian beef. I can't wait. Chicago is one of those towns that I have been meaning to visit for ages, and I am excited that I finally get the chance.
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

HaulCitgo wrote:Of the standard Chicago pizza spots near the loop or gold coast, Lou Malnatis was the best to me. Definitely hit one of the hot dog places with the yellow Vienna hot dog sign, mostly the same, all good.

This is the second Lou Malnatis rec I've gotten. Definitely going there.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Weatherfrog wrote:So, I tried Girl and Goat to no avail, but I got reservations at Blackbird. That place is supposed to be cool and Tony Bourdain recommended it on one of his shows, so there you go. Going the artsy-fartsy route, but I understand that they have actual entrees and not just "tastings," which should be cool. Thanks again for all the advice.

I'm also getting some deep dish, and I will try to find an italian beef. I can't wait. Chicago is one of those towns that I have been meaning to visit for ages, and I am excited that I finally get the chance.
I do not like most big cities, but Chicago is awesome. Hope you have a good time.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

I spend about 30% of my time in Chicago these days.

I am a wild, raving fan of Shaw's Crabhouse - 21 E Hubbard St.

When you walk in, there are two options - a) to the left, an old school, stodgy experience for dinner only, and b) to the right, for a wonderful, live blues, cozy dining experience.

Go right.

Worth the wait.
mini puke to 1,558
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

kranepool wrote:I spend about 30% of my time in Chicago these days.

I am a wild, raving fan of Shaw's Crabhouse - 21 E Hubbard St.

When you walk in, there are two options - a) to the left, an old school, stodgy experience for dinner only, and b) to the right, for a wonderful, live blues, cozy dining experience.

Go right.

Worth the wait.

You leave Baltimore to go out for crabs? BTW, I can't think about crabs or Old Bay seasoning without imagining BFJ finger banging his wife.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Kranepool even takes his own crabs with him wherever he goes!
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.