Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:01 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:48 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:46 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:21 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:17 pm DOn't care about the timeline...thats Gandalf's hand at the end of the LOTR Amazon show promo.
AHHH THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN TELEVISION THREAD!
Is this gonna be based on stuff that Tolkien actually wrote (Silmillarion, etc)?
I think so, with some additions. Gandalf and hobbits aren't in this Age as written, but they appear (the hobbits are apparently forerunners to "modern" hobbits) to be in it. Of course, the hand of Gandalf could be a feint.
Yeah, just refreshed my terrible memory of Gandalf's origins (thanks tolkien.net) and that he only came to Middle Earth in the 3rd age. If so, why do yo think that is Gandalf's hand?
Mostly because Sir Ian said he wanted in and I don't think you tell him no. What's a couple of thousand years among wizards? Hell, he will spend half his time off doing other shit as is his wont, so it's not even a huge lift!

I figure elrond will show up too, what with the whole immortal thing and being there in so many flashbacks adn he is at least on record as being in the 2nd age.

But mostly because GANDALF FOR LIFE.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Per the Vanity Fair article I linked just above breaking down the trailer, Elrond is in it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:09 pm Per the Vanity Fair article I linked just above breaking down the trailer, Elrond is in it.
Just saw same.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Do we know if the new show is really based on the Silmarillion? Or just taking the world-building from there and running with it?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I thought I read they're gonna play a little loose with the timeline so they don't have to introduce a full new cast of human characters 10 or 20 times over to span the entire 2nd age.

Besides, not like fucking nerds get worked up over stuff like "not being the same as the source material".
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

As long as R2D2 doesn't show up I"m good.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:27 pm As long as R2D2 doesn't show up I"m good.
It's an Amazon joint, so you should be good. Now, about that new demon Bezosabulb...
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

It just sucks Lord of the Rings gets another deep dive, but dog forbid something like Cryptonomicon get green-lighted.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Starting Peacemaker. Have had about eight genuine laughs in first 10 minutes.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:18 pm Starting Peacemaker. Have had about eight genuine laughs in first 10 minutes.
It reminds me of the shows of my youth (Chips, Dukes, etc). The only difference is the serial nature instead of being wrapped up in 30 minutes or an hour. Cheap sets, similar plots, but just fun. I like John Cena and the the opening to the show (dance thing..is just weird but fits)

Felt similar about the Amazon version of Reacher
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:18 pm Starting Peacemaker. Have had about eight genuine laughs in first 10 minutes.
So much fun
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:04 pm
So much fun
I’m gonna binge to catch up. This is hilarious.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:42 pm Righteous Gemstones is so great. The penultimate scene in episode 2 had me in tears.
Thanks for the reminder, another show I forgot to tag. Watched Season one and this show is such a great mix of good acting and ridiculous scenarios and absurd characters. The level of detail they created in the Gemstone's compound is fantastic. This show is not for everyone, but if you like absurdist comedy and Danny McBride, then this is a must watch. Walton Goggins and his character are the best, he might be my favorite actor. McBride is a slight variation on every character he plays, but he plays it so damned well. I think I'm in love with McBride's character's wife, not love, but definitely lust. Her expressions are so sexy. I had to stop myself from jumping straight into season 2.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

RE: The Righteous Gemstones, specifically the beginning of the most recent episode, if you put a scene like that in something I'm gonna laugh.

Team America, Bridesmaids, a random SNL skit, don't care. I'll laugh.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

counter-point - Gemstones is for everyone. Fucking hilarious and brilliant
[+] spoiler
by the way, my lowkey spoiler guess for the assassins isn't the memphis subplot, i think they were sent by the Lissons...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'll be shocked if that isn't true.

The big mystery to me still is WTF happened at the reporter's cabin. In fact, if there is a quibble with this season it's that incident not blowing up in their faces yet since even if no one knew he was starting to investigate the Gemstones the dummies left evidence of their presence all over the place. Maybe next week?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Saw this last night. I remember when the first photos from FOTR came out, pretty sure the Gandalf/Saruman duel mentioned below was one of them. The lighting was just so bright and shiny (because it was a photo of the set and not an excerpt from the film) that it did like a soap opera or something and people DID lose their shit.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:23 am Saw this last night. I remember when the first photos from FOTR came out, pretty sure the Gandalf/Saruman duel mentioned below was one of them. The lighting was just so bright and shiny (because it was a photo of the set and not an excerpt from the film) that it did like a soap opera or something and people DID lose their shit.

I'll admit to never liking or understanding the Uruk-hai eggs, but the rest of that stuff is ridiculous and sad. Yes, they changed a few things from the books, but you can never 100% move a book to a movie without changing a few things to better tell the story.
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I guess I was never bothered by the eggs. Orcs orignated as tortured elves, right? And humans were, presumably, evolved into humans. And the Urak-hai were a cross of humans and orcs? Do I remember that right? Eggs beats watching orcs and humans fucking, all things being equal. I guess I don't recall from the book how Saruman made them. Did Tolkien go into the mechanics of it?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:12 am I guess I was never bothered by the eggs. Orcs orignated as tortured elves, right? And humans were, presumably, evolved into humans. And the Urak-hai were a cross of humans and orcs? Do I remember that right? Eggs beats watching orcs and humans fucking, all things being equal. I guess I don't recall from the book how Saruman made them. Did Tolkien go into the mechanics of it?
I don't think so. But it makes no sense to birth a full-grown, muscle-bound warrior that can understand spoken language. Maybe they were actually regular adult orcs who were put in the pods and given serum like Steve Rogers.
Totally Kafkaesque
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

rass wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:57 pm RE: The Righteous Gemstones, specifically the beginning of the most recent episode, if you put a scene like that in something I'm gonna laugh.

The entire episode had me rolling on the floor. The cattle prod, Uncle Baby Billy’s Elixir trailer tipping over, the glory hole on Keefe’s cage, the yack scene...it’s my favorite show right now.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Keg wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:39 pm
rass wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:57 pm RE: The Righteous Gemstones, specifically the beginning of the most recent episode, if you put a scene like that in something I'm gonna laugh.

The entire episode had me rolling on the floor. The cattle prod, Uncle Baby Billy’s Elixir trailer tipping over, the glory hole on Keefe’s cage, the yack scene...it’s my favorite show right now.
The scene in the cage was hard for me to watch (and not just because of the dick in the eye). I have issues watching scenes where people are caged up like that, prison movies excluded. I can't imagine just sitting their calmly and not losing my ever loving fucking mind trying to get out and it makes me uncomfortable.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I'm just not sure where they are going with muscle-men subplot. Maybe it's just supposed to be comic relief - but it also is the one thing that seems excessively cringe for no good reason.
[+] spoiler
unless one of them is ordering the hits on Eli
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not just muscle-men. God Squad!

I'd lean towards them just being Kelvin (and Keef!!) character development.

Giff wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:24 am

The scene in the cage was hard for me to watch (and not just because of the dick in the eye). I have issues watching scenes where people are caged up like that, prison movies excluded. I can't imagine just sitting their calmly and not losing my ever loving fucking mind trying to get out and it makes me uncomfortable.
Despite his advanced age, Giff still can't watch a man in a cage.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Worst Billy Corgan lyrics ever.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:32 am Not just muscle-men. God Squad!

I'd lean towards them just being Kelvin (and Keef!!) character development.

Giff wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:24 am

Despite his advanced age, Giff still can't watch a man in a cage.
This explains why he was so upset when I locked his door from the outside when he visited Lexington.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:26 am I'm just not sure where they are going with muscle-men subplot. Maybe it's just supposed to be comic relief - but it also is the one thing that seems excessively cringe for no good reason.
[+] spoiler
So the first time I saw the muscle squad thing was some Canadian channel when I lived in Seattle. Guys bending steel bars and screaming about the power of the lord. Over the years I have seen panel wrapped vans promoting this. I figured it was just putting this strange element of evangelism forward.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ours was guys ripping phone books in half. FOR THE LORD!!!!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:47 am
tennbengal wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:26 am I'm just not sure where they are going with muscle-men subplot. Maybe it's just supposed to be comic relief - but it also is the one thing that seems excessively cringe for no good reason.
[+] spoiler
So the first time I saw the muscle squad thing was some Canadian channel when I lived in Seattle. Guys bending steel bars and screaming about the power of the lord. Over the years I have seen panel wrapped vans promoting this. I figured it was just putting this strange element of evangelism forward.
It's definitely a thing. I saw it in the 80s growing up in central Ohio - that was the first iteration of that insanity. It's just...I am not entirely cool with it being used as an extended gay panic joke is all.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

This looks great...

I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:35 am
[+] spoiler
It's definitely a thing. I saw it in the 80s growing up in central Ohio - that was the first iteration of that insanity. It's just...I am not entirely cool with it being used as an extended gay panic joke is all.
When I was in high school, in the goddam 1970s!, we had some assembly after school (attendance not required, but was encouraged), where some old coot was powerlifting large amounts of weight with the power of Jesus! I was still pretty Catholic back then, and I was embarrassed by some of the other kids mocking the old dude. But, I did wonder what the hell lifting weight had to do with religion.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:39 pm
[+] spoiler
When I was in high school, in the goddam 1970s!, we had some assembly after school (attendance not required, but was encouraged), where some old coot was powerlifting large amounts of weight with the power of Jesus! I was still pretty Catholic back then, and I was embarrassed by some of the other kids mocking the old dude. But, I did wonder what the hell lifting weight had to do with religion.
did we learn nothing from tim tebow's eyeblack?

Phil 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:36 am This looks great...

You had me at Waititi!
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

pruitt2 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:34 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:36 am This looks great...

You had me at Waititi!
Had me at Murray from Flight of the Concords. I assume he's the deputy cultural attache to Blackbeard.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:39 pm
[+] spoiler
Are you talking about the Power Team?

I remember seeing them on TV in the late 80's. The stunt that stood out to me was when they would inflate a hot water bottle until it exploded...using the POWER BREATHE OF JESUS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Finished season 3 and 4.1 of Ozark over the last couple of weeks.
[+] spoiler
Poor Wyatt. You would have thought he would have learned the lesson of 'Don't stick your dick in crazy' at some point. Especially 'crazy, who've already seen murder 2 people'.

And Ruth is such a great character.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:25 pm Finished season 3 and 4.1 of Ozark over the last couple of weeks.
[+] spoiler
Poor Wyatt. You would have thought he would have learned the lesson of 'Don't stick your dick in crazy' at some point. Especially 'crazy, who've already seen murder 2 people'.

And Ruth is such a great character.
I thought Season 4.1 was fantastic. I watched it because I read 4.2 was coming out soon. Now I see it might not come out until the end of the year.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I must ask, do any of you have a coterie of supervillains?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Peacemaker
[+] spoiler
You're late you fucking dickheads!