Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by rass »

Oldest is currently D1 or bust. She’s certainly got the drive, and maybe the skill? Sophomore spring track season is coming up, so I guess we’ll see where she is after that and start laying the groundwork to talk to schools (I sat through a Zoom seminar on NCAA eligibility - fun stuff).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:39 pm Oldest is currently D1 or bust. She’s certainly got the drive, and maybe the skill? Sophomore spring track season is coming up, so I guess we’ll see where she is after that and start laying the groundwork to talk to schools (I sat through a Zoom seminar on NCAA eligibility - fun stuff).
She objectively has the skill, that's the beauty of track.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:21 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:17 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:56 pm My coaching buddy used to talk about playing in college as a goal, but I don't think he was good at explaining it's not just about D1. Coaches get paid and win/lose jobs all the time at the D3 level now. It didn't used to be that way, at all. Coaching soccer was often a second coaching job at a given school at many places. Now, many D3 coaches run ID camps and shit like that. And there are something like 420(!) D3 women's programs out there. Not all playing at that high level, but UAA, NESCAC, Centennial... Some of the best academic schools in the country.
My GF's daughter played at D3, at Univ of Puget Sound, and it was a great experience for her. Her Coach was an awesome guy, and an amazing influence on her.
I appreciate all the D3 talk. I really don't care if she decides not to play in college, but want to give the opportunity to if she wants it. I just mentioned D1 because I was talking scholarships, but lower divisions probably offer some tuition breaks too.

https://scholarshipstats.com/soccer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:11 pm
rass wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:39 pm Oldest is currently D1 or bust. She’s certainly got the drive, and maybe the skill? Sophomore spring track season is coming up, so I guess we’ll see where she is after that and start laying the groundwork to talk to schools (I sat through a Zoom seminar on NCAA eligibility - fun stuff).
Yeah... I miss watching her play soccer and would most days would take sitting at a soccer tournament over a track meet, but I'm thankful she chose XC/track.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:26 pm
Yeah... I miss watching her play soccer and would most days would take sitting at a soccer tournament over a track meet, but I'm thankful she chose XC/track.
At one of those horrendous all-day Middlesex meets I watched random U-12 soccer games rather than the meet. I think it was the day you took pictures of me sleeping.
-Pruitt
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:32 pm
At one of those… sex meets…you took pictures of me sleeping.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

serrano wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:04 pm
Thanks for ignoring watching 12 year olds.
-Pruitt
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:14 pm
I didn’t want to make it weird.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

serrano wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:18 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:14 pm

I didn’t want to make it weird.
You definitely haven't watched Syb sleep.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nonlinear FC in 2027 wrote: My son ordered a steak!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Track meets 20x better with a good mc. And one of these teams brought music you can hear clearly in the opposite stands. It's a party. Liquor and track mixes poorly. Atl hoe
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Still indoor season up here!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My son is rowing for the school. The big find raiser is mulch sale. Some unbelievable number of bags. This thing is a full weekend production. Some how they screwed up a delivery so my son grabbed a crew to deliver the last 50.

Or maybe I am just posting this to say I am a very very good operator of fork lifts and similar vehicles. Set record times for loading up 27 foot box trucks with pallets of mulch.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

the boy made it to NJ Meet of Champs..had run his fastest time to get there on saturday, and despite running his second fastest time in the 3200.. got smoked. started out (too) strong and ran out of gas. painful to watch.
seems the top miler in the country was in the building, that kid ran an 8:48

the boy was disappointed but a huge accomplishment getting there outright as a sophomore (only three i think in the meet for that race)
unfortunately the track coach is pushing him to quit soccer now (and not at end of club season as planned)..of course the club soccer coach has pushed for the same. He plans to follow
we did get to spend lots of time chatting with a college recruiter -- who offered to come to the boy's outdoor meets this spring and provide (us, can't talk to the boy yet i think) feedback.

so far the boy has the record as a freshman and sophomore (for the HS). pretty cool.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:10 am the boy made it to NJ Meet of Champs..had run his fastest time to get there on saturday, and despite running his second fastest time in the 3200.. got smoked. started out (too) strong and ran out of gas. painful to watch.

the boy was disappointed but a huge accomplishment getting there outright as a sophomore (only three i think in the meet for that race)
unfortunately the track coach is pushing him to quit soccer now (and not at end of club season as planned)..of course the club soccer coach has pushed for the same. He plans to follow
we did get to spend lots of time chatting with a college recruiter -- who offered to come to the boy's outdoor meets this spring and provide (us, can't talk to the boy yet i think) feedback.

so far the boy has the record as a freshman and sophomore (for the HS). pretty cool.
That's outstanding, congrats to you and the boy! Is he really considering quitting soccer?
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

he'll definitely play HS in the fall --
but club soccer is requiring more and more time -- and travel - taking time away from track
this spring will tell.. he already said if there's a conflict he'll go with track.

right now.. he is posting times that can get him to D1.. soccer.. still a very good player, and a starter.. spring will tell.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That's about the time most people start specializing, right? My nephew (16) is having the same conundrum (though not at the D1 level right now in either) between baseball and basketball, which both want you to be full time anymore.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its obviously not the same stakes, but we already hit that issue at age fucking 10. Its impossible to be competitive swim (4-5 days per week) and softball (3-4). You basically need to luck into off days and run times perfectly lining up, which didn't happen. Seems ridiculous to me, but maybe that's because I grew up only playing city and HS leagues and not higher level or travel shit?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:37 pm Its obviously not the same stakes, but we already hit that issue at age fucking 10. Its impossible to be competitive swim (4-5 days per week) and softball (3-4). You basically need to luck into off days and run times perfectly lining up, which didn't happen. Seems ridiculous to me, but maybe that's because I grew up only playing city and HS leagues and not higher level or travel shit?
That's why you need to coach softball so you can set practice times!
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:53 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:37 pm Its obviously not the same stakes, but we already hit that issue at age fucking 10. Its impossible to be competitive swim (4-5 days per week) and softball (3-4). You basically need to luck into off days and run times perfectly lining up, which didn't happen. Seems ridiculous to me, but maybe that's because I grew up only playing city and HS leagues and not higher level or travel shit?
My sweet summer child.

The leagues set all game times AND practice times around here.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:28 pm he'll definitely play HS in the fall --
but club soccer is requiring more and more time -- and travel - taking time away from track
this spring will tell.. he already said if there's a conflict he'll go with track.

right now.. he is posting times that can get him to D1.. soccer.. still a very good player, and a starter.. spring will tell.
I think the surprise comes more from my soccer-centric POV. I view track as a way to improve soccer performance. Plus my track athlete isn't competitive so I view it as an activity to keep him active and social. Plus I hate going to track meets, but again, if my kid was competitive I'd be more into it, but I still don't think I'd enjoy sitting around for 5 hours to watch him run for 10 minutes. Cross country meets are bearable, but you can usually only see them for a brief time at the start and finish of the races.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:56 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:53 pm
My sweet summer child.

The leagues set all game times AND practice times around here.
I was only an assistant coach for baseball, trying to remember if HC had any say on practice times. I know for soccer we could rank preferences for day and time.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

elflaco2 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:10 am the boy made it to NJ Meet of Champs..had run his fastest time to get there on saturday, and despite running his second fastest time in the 3200.. got smoked. started out (too) strong and ran out of gas. painful to watch.

Hope he came around a bit from where you said he was post-race on Saturday and can see what an accomplishment that was.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:58 pm
elflaco2 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:28 pm he'll definitely play HS in the fall --

I think the surprise comes more from my soccer-centric POV. I view track as a way to improve soccer performance. Plus my track athlete isn't competitive so I view it as an activity to keep him active and social. Plus I hate going to track meets, but again, if my kid was competitive I'd be more into it, but I still don't think I'd enjoy sitting around for 5 hours to watch him run for 10 minutes. Cross country meets are bearable, but you can usually only see them for a brief time at the start and finish of the races.
five hours? heck no.. once you know the order of events.. you show up in time to get settled in to watch the race (or races) only time that doesn't work is when he runs the second and next to last events (unless meet is at home, in which no issue as the HS is only 10mins from home)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Kid says (and she knows her shit) that the second and third best HS boys times in the country this year were put down in the 3200 at that meet.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

yeah, no doubt. it was insanely fast.

Seems the HS team plans to qualify for Penn relays in the 4x800 -- little flaco will be either the third or fourth leg... and they want him to push to qualify for the 3200.
guessing club soccer is absolutely taking a back seat. going to love that convo with the coach (doubt i'll see that $ again)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Highly recommend putting your kids under anesthesia. This MFer is a damn comedian right now.

*minor surgery to remove a nevus/birthmark on the back of his head
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:16 pm Highly recommend putting your kids under anesthesia. This MFer is a damn comedian right now.

I'm not diminishing my propofol stash on them! Hope you got some good videos to taunt him with when he is older.

I was telling my sister last night about how much fun I had after having my wisdom teeth pulled. My parents didn't find me nearly as funny as I found myself. The oral surgeon had me leave in a wheelchair. I was popping wheelies and spinning in circles in the lobby. Whatever they gave me was fantastic.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:27 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:16 pm Highly recommend putting your kids under anesthesia. This MFer is a damn comedian right now.

I'm not diminishing my propofol stash on them! Hope you got some good videos to taunt him with when he is older.

I was telling my sister last night about how much fun I had after having my wisdom teeth pulled. My parents didn't find me nearly as funny as I found myself. The oral surgeon had me leave in a wheelchair. I was popping wheelies and spinning in circles in the lobby. Whatever they gave me was fantastic.
A sampling
"Why do they have to name like STDs such pretty names?"

"Chlamydia is such a pretty name. If I have a daughter, I'm going to name her Chlamydia"
"No little German boy, don't go into that gay club"

and then the little German boy said, "oh my got, this club is full of yassenqueenen!"
He was singing "Gold Digger" and "Witch Doctor" (ting tang walla walla bing bang) earlier.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Holy shit, I'm dying over here.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:12 pm Holy shit, I'm dying over here.
We were in tears and snorting laughing.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yasenqueenen is legit fucking funny.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:00 pm Yasenqueenen is legit fucking funny.
I can’t wait for Chedda’s post announcing the birth of his granddaughter Chlamydia. How old is he?
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:00 pm Yasenqueenen is legit fucking funny.
He now confesses that German boy exchange is from TikTok.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:10 pm
I can’t wait for Chedda’s post announcing the birth of his granddaughter Chlamydia. How old is he?
14. He's normally pretty funny and flamboyant, but he was next level a few hours ago.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The oldest daughter was just happy go lucky after having her wisdom teeth removed. Everything was the best. She is usually a happy kid, but it was turned up to 11. Talking to the nurses, the pharmacist, and anyone else we ran into on the way home.

The youngest after she had oral surgery was emotional. And she started crying and saying how much she loved Arianna Grande.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:30 pm she started crying and saying how much she loved Arianna Grande.
We've all been there.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I've run from that dental visit my whole life.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

We got wisdom teeth out for both of our kids, but I still think it's mostly a scam. Just have a hard time thinking EVERYONE needs them out, which seems to be the case from parents I've spoken with.

ALso hate dentists in general due to a bad experience. I've probably told this before, but I starting going to the dentist my wife and her whole family used after I got married. After a couple of visits, he comes in with the xrays and shows me what the problem is, and strangely enough it was close after a family event at which a couple of people had said they recently had dental work done. I said, yeah, I think you did that for my wife's aunt and uncle (who are brother/sister) and he goes.."Yeah, it runs in the family. Very hereditary." Bitch, I married in. Never went back to that one, but I hope the two he got to pay financed a semester or two of his kids education.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I was in my 30s and married when I finally had my wisdom teeth removed. When I came to my senses, my wife and two cute young dental nurses were all grinning at me over stuff I'd been saying. I was petrified about what I might have said to them. Luckily, my wife told me later that I didn't embarrass myself in any ways that would have pissed off any of them.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian