Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:41 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:26 pm So we had the furnace repaired yesterday. I figure I'll spend the rest of the year evaluating a replacement furnace that will add to the resale value of the house.

So three guys were here for about 10 hours yesterday. Two of them cleaned the air ducts. The other guy did the repairs. He still couldn't get it to run after finishing replacing all the parts. So he called his supervisor after four or so hours of dicking around finding alternatives. The supervisor (really, the senior-most tech of the now four guys) immediately diagnosed the issue. They cleared out well enough, but now my Ecobee thermostat can no longer control the furnace. That tells me they disconnected the thermostat from the furnace (at the furnace) to avoid the thermostat from sending messages to it.

I called today around 10a for them to come back and finish the job, but...crickets.

I can probably figure this out myself, but I'm not billing myself $2300.
Are you able to turn the furnace on and off at all?

When I had my furnace inspection last week, the guy was about to leave when I noticed my thermostat screen was blank. It took him another hour and a half to connect whatever needed connecting to get it working again.
The only way to turn the furnace on is to go down to the basement and flip the switch at the furnace.

I think they disconnected it, and then attempted to reconnect it, because the thermostat recognizes it, but it can't control it. So perhaps one of the wires (there's five) remained disconnected.
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Homeowners insurance is of no interest whatsoever. Even the billing is hidden. Until you need it. Ive learned a lot and will continue over the next several but I know enough now that you all should have a look at your policies and coverages and options. Eventually you may have to know it very well.

So far the biggest thing ive learned about is Xactimate. Not sure if it is only for insurers or if actual contractors use it as well but this software basically determines your entire claim. The best thing I did in this matter was to hire what has turned out to be a professional construction estimator. You would think actual bills and contractors that know what theyre doing would be important. As for the insurance check, they are not. At least not yet. All about the estimators. The construction estimator did better than the appraiser/public adjuster I also hired (watch those % contracts). But the guy did get some really good photos. Id say hire a photographer and estimator if faced with a big loss. So long as coverage not disputed pay contractors and get reimbursed. Way more control. Those paid direct from insurer do not tell me anything or provide any info or even ask for consent. Just do what they please which is as little as possible.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Since this thread is always bad news, I thought I'd post some positive updates. After 45 hours of almost constant rain and all the snow melting, my back room has remained dry! Rain was light most of the time. I went outside during the heaviest rain, as the water on the patio was right by the sliding door and getting higher. I cleared all the excess water with a broom and shoveled snow into a chute away from the door and towards the driveway. Just a few more hours until the rain stops.

I was able to get a microwave repair guy and he found evidence of an "arcing event," basically burn marks on the magnetron. He doesn't think that was actually the reason for the microwave not working, but I explained that's what they needed to see. Guy was cool and said if they need to see arcing, here it is, and sent a report and pictures. Got a call from Sharp today, they approved my appeal, so I am getting a new microwave and free installation.

The morning after the furnace guy did his thing, we had no hot water. One of the furnaces in next to the hot water heater, so he either turned it off to do something and forgot to turn it back on, or accidentally hit the switch. At least that one was a quick and easy fix.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

does anyone have any experience with ductless mini-splits? we're apparently heading down that road for the room that was added onto this house 30 years ago. the AC unit needs to be replaced despite being only 7 years old because the cooling coil is from 1993. and the room isn't big enough for a 2-ton unit to work efficiently

a ductless mini split is more up front than the AC unit, but allegedly will be way more efficient and cheaper to operate on a monthly basis.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

got the first quote on monday and then two more people came out to look at it. got a ballpark quote from the third guy with the official estimate to come ... and he came in ~$2K cheaper than the first quote for basically the same thing

hopefully that's true! and more proof how I'm never sure who is good and who is ripping you off and who is bad in these type of situations
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

When searching for a handyman or contractor on craigslist or other online classifieds, try searching for the trade/job in spanish (such as plomero instead of plumber). You’ll usually find the same guys who do the labor but you dont pay for the middle man.

You can also use similar searches for small jobs to create an online version of the home depot parking lot.

(Of course, always do your due diligence, ask for references for bigger jobs and be careful who you allow into your home)
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I rely on the town FB page. People always ask for recommendations and responders aren’t shy about calling out bad experiences. I see the same names recommended and trashed over the years. Also see a lot of developets and contractors comment on who to hire or who overcharged. I’ll pay a little more for an established company with decades of happy customers
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Keg wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:46 pm When searching for a handyman or contractor on craigslist or other online classifieds, try searching for the trade/job in spanish (such as plomero instead of plumber). You’ll usually find the same guys who do the labor but you dont pay for the middle man.

You can also use similar searches for small jobs to create an online version of the home depot parking lot.

(Of course, always do your due diligence, ask for references for bigger jobs and be careful who you allow into your home)
this is great to know. I kinda did this with the foreman on the crew who renovated my basement. I paid him in cash for a couple extra things when he was here in the evenings and didn't tell the (white) guy who ran the company.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:16 pm I rely on the town FB page. People always ask for recommendations and responders aren’t shy about calling out bad experiences. I see the same names recommended and trashed over the years. Also see a lot of developets and contractors comment on who to hire or who overcharged. I’ll pay a little more for an established company with decades of happy customers
I have tried to swear off facebook, but the dumb posts on our little suburb's facebook group make me check every now and then. we have a coyote!

thankfully the company that appears to be the cheapest did some HVAC work here previously as part of the renovations and have good reviews. so does the other one. I'm just annoyed with the HVAC company I've used for years, because they apparently installed an early 2019 furnace in the crawl space in 2020. and all furnaces switched to variable speed motors (and use way less energy) in late 2019
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

So we had the door on our microwave break, so I looked up fixes on YouTube. Easy little drill and move the spring it looks like. Nope, the end of the spring on the door has absolutely disintegrated, of course, the warranty just ran out in December so 190$ to order a new door to replace about half a cent worth of plastic.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Anybody ever pay cash for a sizable project? Contractor is knocking $2000 off if we pay cash. At first I was thinking sure, the hassle of going to the bank a couple of times is worth $2k. Need to pay $12k at the start of the job, and being the paranoid person I am, I am taking in out in two installments to avoid a Suspicious Activities Report. (Every bank transaction over $10K requires a SAR filing with FinCen, a government financial crimes entity).

So I go in asking for $8k, and I feel uncomfortable having to walk out carrying that much cash to begin with. The teller gives me a weird look and says loud enough for everyone in the lobby to hear "Did you call in, I don't think we have this much cash on hand." She gets a second teller and loudly discuss how much they have in various registers. Then a manager comes up looking me over and asks what my profession is. The teller counts it out with the machine in the back. Then she carries the counting machine up front and plugs it in to count it in front of me and the others in line behind me. A couple who were meeting with the loan officer walk up to say goodbye to the teller. She waves at them with a stack of my 100s in her hand. Then laughs at herself saying that was stupid, "but you are the one who has to walk out carrying all this cash. Ha!" When she hands me the cash, she gets serious and asks "are you bailing someone out of jail?"

Looking forward to going back tomorrow and twice more! Next time I think I'll just write out a check.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I suppose I assumed cash/check was basically the same thing. Shoot, get a cashier's check for like $12
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

How do you prove you paid cash if the contractor decides to say you didn't?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Receipt?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:05 pmReceipt?
Checking in from the Wild West!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:55 pm I suppose I assumed cash/check was basically the same thing. Shoot, get a cashier's check for like $12
Yeah, I would do a cashier's check. And if the contractor won't accept that for some reason, that's a huge red flag.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:50 pm Anybody ever pay cash for a sizable project? Contractor is knocking $2000 off if we pay cash. At first I was thinking sure, the hassle of going to the bank a couple of times is worth $2k. Need to pay $12k at the start of the job, and being the paranoid person I am, I am taking in out in two installments to avoid a Suspicious Activities Report. (Every bank transaction over $10K requires a SAR filing with FinCen, a government financial crimes entity).

So I go in asking for $8k, and I feel uncomfortable having to walk out carrying that much cash to begin with. The teller gives me a weird look and says loud enough for everyone in the lobby to hear "Did you call in, I don't think we have this much cash on hand." She gets a second teller and loudly discuss how much they have in various registers. Then a manager comes up looking me over and asks what my profession is. The teller counts it out with the machine in the back. Then she carries the counting machine up front and plugs it in to count it in front of me and the others in line behind me. A couple who were meeting with the loan officer walk up to say goodbye to the teller. She waves at them with a stack of my 100s in her hand. Then laughs at herself saying that was stupid, "but you are the one who has to walk out carrying all this cash. Ha!" When she hands me the cash, she gets serious and asks "are you bailing someone out of jail?"

Looking forward to going back tomorrow and twice more! Next time I think I'll just write out a check.
At least you aren't a black movie director.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlant ... PA2VP5FZI/
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:54 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:55 pm I suppose I assumed cash/check was basically the same thing. Shoot, get a cashier's check for like $12
Yeah, I would do a cashier's check. And if the contractor won't accept that for some reason, that's a huge red flag.
This guy lives in my town, has been in business for a long time, and he and his wife sponsor the annual town menorah lighting and she is on numerous town volunteer committees. I've hired him for several small jobs over the years, so I trust him. Cashier check doesn't serve his purposes here in saving money. I felt a little weird in aiding his purposes here, but I consulted my friend who is in-house counsel for a major property developer and he told me he always pays cash to contractors. This is a super-straight laced by-the-books guy who got in an argument with his accountant because the accountant wanted to submit a home office credit while he worked from home for COVID, but my friend insisted he uses the office space for non-work purposes on occasion.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

And yet he wants cash? And somehow can't save the same money with a cashier's check? I'ma introduce you to Mr. Madoff. People say such nice things. Sounds ok. Also sounds like your not using the requisite protocols.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

How does getting paid in cash instead of a cashier's check save him money?

I understand with credit cards, because there's a fee. And regular checks may take a while to clear and risk being declined. And there may be a cost to *get* a cashier's check. But is there a cost involved in receiving a cashier's check and depositing it in the bank?

It sounds like he wants to be able to pay his subs under the table. Which in and of itself is probably fine, but it may raise other concerns about whether he's keeping insurance up to date and whether he's really paying everyone what they are owed so that you don't get stuck with mechanic's liens.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:51 pm How does getting paid in cash instead of a cashier's check save him money?

I understand with credit cards, because there's a fee. And regular checks may take a while to clear and risk being declined. And there may be a cost to *get* a cashier's check. But is there a cost involved in receiving a cashier's check and depositing it in the bank?

It sounds like he wants to be able to pay his subs under the table. Which in and of itself is probably fine, but it may raise other concerns about whether he's keeping insurance up to date and whether he's really paying everyone what they are owed so that you don't get stuck with mechanic's liens.
Good points on the potential liens. He also might want cash because he might not be recognizing this business revenue/income on his own taxes.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Sorry too much a jerk. I'm with you do as I say not as I do. I'm sure there are others:

Quotes and bids
Written agreement
Insurance certificates
Draw payments and do not cash ahead of work
Physical possession of materials
Lien waivers
Receipts
Written warranty
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I had my kitchen remodeled in ABQ and I paid by check for each installment.

None of my banks have a brick and mortar location I could even pull that much money out of.

All of what you went through sounds fucking weird and even worse when you get questions from the bank employees themselves.

Something's for sure going on there. Everyone made great points as to why.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I don't think it's concerning or a red flag. My dad paid his HVAC guy for a new furnace that way; I paid for a concrete front stoop same way. It's not just about paying the subs...he doesn't want to report the income.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It seems similar to me to the Mom and Pop restaurants that offer a discount if you pay cash.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:51 pm How does getting paid in cash instead of a cashier's check save him money?

He plans on buying materials and paying his employees with the cash. My assumptions is he is avoiding declaring taxes on his payroll and profits. He can't take my cashier's check and buy materials or pay his guys without going through his bank and creating a taxable paper trail.

I appreciate all the concerns, but this is a guy I know and have used for projects 3 times already. He never brought up cash before. We were hedging, as the job was more involved than we expected and we asked what we could do to get the costs down. He only uses his own workers, no sub-contracting. The guy only does work in my town and one neighboring town. He has been in business for a long time, raised his kids in this town and as I mentioned, he is a pillar of the community and he isn't going to throw away his business to steal my money. Recommendations on the Town FB forum is the lifeblood of his business, and he knows my wife is in PR and marketing and I'm a lawyer. If he fucked us, he knows we could destroy his reputation.

I do have a contract. It calls for payments in 4 installments reaching different milestones of the project, with 25% at completion. Contract includes a warranty on his work, he is fully licensed, and he lives a mile from my house. He always gave me signed receipts and I get them again.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Obviously a guy running the largest Ponzi scheme in history!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If his youngest is a senior in HS you know you're fucked.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, in anticipation of giving my daughter our 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid, I've got an appointment tomorrow with the local dealer to give it a complete service and inspection. And, now our very old garage refrigerator/freezer has just crapped out, so a serviceman is coming tomorrow to look at it and see if it is worth repairing. Also, our once-every-two-weeks cleaning lady is also coming tomorrow, which is good because one of our 17 year-old cats has become incontinent and has started pissing in non-litter box locations almost every night, which is a pain in the ass and may lead to his demise, soon.

Should be a busy day, tomorrow.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I hope your beer fridge pulls through.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:54 pm I hope your beer fridge pulls through.
I'm more concerned about his cleaning lady killing the cat.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

What does one put in/over light bulb sockets in an indoor ceiling fan to use outdoors without lights under covered patio for a fan only option. Electrical tape?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:14 pm What does one put in/over light bulb sockets in an indoor ceiling fan to use outdoors without lights under covered patio for a fan only option. Electrical tape?
Duct tape to cover the bulb socket. Probably have to replace it a few times a year since it's going to face weather/atmospheric conditions. But a 6" cut slapped over the mouth of the socket should keep the wiring OK.

For a time of course?
Noli Timere Messorem
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:14 pm What does one put in/over light bulb sockets in an indoor ceiling fan to use outdoors without lights under covered patio for a fan only option. Electrical tape?

Socket fillers should only be a few bucks, probably have them at the big box stores and if not there should be a million of them on Amazon.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Well boys, sometimes it pays to procrastinate! My driveway is mess, was beyond needing to be repaved before I moved in. Got estimates and planned on doing it in the Spring, but glad I didn't. Gas company is replacing all the lines in my neighborhood. Week 4 of digging up my street and repaving every day to replace the lines, now they are connecting the street line to every house. They have to excavate my driveway to get to the connection. If I had just repaved, I would have been so pissed. Feel bad for the guy across the street, they had to dig up a bed of bushes in front of his house and drove the backhoe all over his front lawn.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:18 am Well boys, sometimes it pays to procrastinate! My driveway is mess, was beyond needing to be repaved before I moved in. Got estimates and planned on doing it in the Spring, but glad I didn't. Gas company is replacing all the lines in my neighborhood. Week 4 of digging up my street and repaving every day to replace the lines, now they are connecting the street line to every house. They have to excavate my driveway to get to the connection. If I had just repaved, I would have been so pissed. Feel bad for the guy across the street, they had to dig up a bed of bushes in front of his house and drove the backhoe all over his front lawn.
So they have to pay to have your driveway redone after? If so, that's fortuitous indeed.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

We had our windows replaced last week. Probably worth the whole cost to never have to deal with the old screens again.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:43 am We had our windows replaced last week. Probably worth the whole cost to never have to deal with the old screens again.
New windows did wonders for our HVAC efficiency at our previous house. Cut like 20% off power bill from day 1.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Jealous about the windows. They say some 20 weeks for a sliding door from the window installation companies.

Also, if you install one of those wifi thermostats do in the fall or spring. Too easy to pay someone but more of a job than id like to commit to while the summer heat invades your space. Of course, it didnt work on the first shot so dread of were not gonna have AC til someone gets out here to fix this mess ive made. The troubleshooting did work but required some careful reading and repeated visits to the crawlspace furnace.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:35 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:18 am Well boys, sometimes it pays to procrastinate! My driveway is mess, was beyond needing to be repaved before I moved in. Got estimates and planned on doing it in the Spring, but glad I didn't. Gas company is replacing all the lines in my neighborhood. Week 4 of digging up my street and repaving every day to replace the lines, now they are connecting the street line to every house. They have to excavate my driveway to get to the connection. If I had just repaved, I would have been so pissed. Feel bad for the guy across the street, they had to dig up a bed of bushes in front of his house and drove the backhoe all over his front lawn.
So they have to pay to have your driveway redone after? If so, that's fortuitous indeed.
Hell no. They are having a contractor come out to patch the area they dig up, so I'll have a large square a completely different from the rest of the driveway. But now I can have that ripped up with the rest of the driveway redone. I'd be pissed if I had a new driveway and a chunk ripped out and patched. I'm sure whatever the contractor does won't look good and will be done as cheap and sloppy as possible.
-Pruitt