2021/22 NCAA Basketball

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

Re: 2021/22 NCAA Basketball

Post by Rex »

I think the most interesting thing is that Duke won by 20 (and that understates it) while getting so little out of Banchero, who sometimes seems to be playing his own game separate from what the other 9 guys are doing.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Rex wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:11 pm I think the most interesting thing is that Duke won by 20 (and that understates it) while getting so little out of Banchero, who sometimes seems to be playing his own game separate from what the other 9 guys are doing.
Yeah, without Banchero, Duke has to slide by with only 5 McDonald's All Americans (plus Joey Baker, who would have been one had not reclassified and joined Duke early).
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Nobody said Duke wasn’t talented. I think the question is about the other guys (who did start 3 McDonalds AAs of their own).
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Rex wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:15 pm Nobody said Duke wasn’t talented. I think the question is about the other guys (who did start 3 McDonalds AAs of their own).
Yeah, their recent McD's haven't turned out as well. Or at least they haven't been immediate successes. Caleb Love's talent jumps out at you, but he still needs to learn how to play. He's awful at times and others, unstoppable.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

After fans and booster ran of Turg....the apathy from the Maryland fanbase with this year's team is bad and not a great omen for moving forward. For a team that wants to be viewed as a blue blood hoops powerhouse, they are at risk of becoming Georgetown, Temple, St. Johns (remember when they were power house program schools).

Terps should be a great job for a coach next year...but I wonder if there is an established coach or a high profile up and comer who wants the gig (when others could open up).

Enfield's name keeps coming (JHU, MBA from Maryland). Same with Cooley from Providence. Don't see Pearl taking the gig. When it all settles would not be surprised to see Ryan Odom (UMBC) or English (George Mason) in consideration.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

George Mason, huh? Wonder if they had a game this past weekend ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shared time with Enfield, but never really hung out much. He got his start coaching as a Free Throw shooting guru. Next thing I knew, he was at FGCU in March Madness.

And, yeah, given the proximity to DC and all the nationally recognized bball in the catholic leagues... Not to mention up in Baltimore... MD should be right up there with the best in the B1G every year.

They just can't seem to fill out the roster anymore. They always seem to have a good guard and a good forward, but not enough depth around them.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Minor issue of that hall of fame coach turning over keys to first time coach
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:33 pm After fans and booster ran of Turg....the apathy from the Maryland fanbase with this year's team is bad and not a great omen for moving forward. For a team that wants to be viewed as a blue blood hoops powerhouse, they are at risk of becoming Georgetown, Temple, St. Johns (remember when they were power house program schools).

Terps should be a great job for a coach next year...but I wonder if there is an established coach or a high profile up and comer who wants the gig (when others could open up).

Enfield's name keeps coming (JHU, MBA from Maryland). Same with Cooley from Providence. Don't see Pearl taking the gig. When it all settles would not be surprised to see Ryan Odom (UMBC) or English (George Mason) in consideration.
The elephant in the room with Maryland is I guess a lot of fans just don’t have any more skin in the game the way they did when the Terps’ rivals were anywhere from 90 minutes to 5 hours south. Hell, even Georgia Tech represented an opportunity of a weekend getaway to Atlanta (I mean, Columbus, OH?).
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I don't know about whether it has much to do with the allure of travel as it has to do with losing the historic rivalries or matchups with ACC blue blood programs. Going to Cole Field House and watching the Terps in the 80s and 90s face off against Duke, UNC, UVA, Wake, GT and NC State was one of the hottest tickets in town. (Even more so than Georgetown games for quite a while there.)

They've just lost their luster, meanwhile, the lacrosse and soccer teams are really the only remaining crown jewels of that AD.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:09 pm Yeah, I don't know about whether it has much to do with the allure of travel as it has to do with losing the historic rivalries or matchups with ACC blue blood programs. Going to Cole Field House and watching the Terps in the 80s and 90s face off against Duke, UNC, UVA, Wake, GT and NC State was one of the hottest tickets in town. (Even more so than Georgetown games for quite a while there.)

They've just lost their luster, meanwhile, the lacrosse and soccer teams are really the only remaining crown jewels of that AD.
Tobacco Road is a 5 hour road trip down 95 from College Park. I know there's more to it than that, but damn man.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:13 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:09 pm Yeah, I don't know about whether it has much to do with the allure of travel as it has to do with losing the historic rivalries or matchups with ACC blue blood programs. Going to Cole Field House and watching the Terps in the 80s and 90s face off against Duke, UNC, UVA, Wake, GT and NC State was one of the hottest tickets in town. (Even more so than Georgetown games for quite a while there.)

Tobacco Road is a 5 hour road trip down 95 from College Park. I know there's more to it than that, but damn man.
Oh, hey, I'm not completely discounting that, but, really.. Not many tickets available to those outside of family in those barns.

And, I'll never really allow MD to fully settle in mind in the B1G. I barely want to acknowledge PSU and Nebraska, even though I think they kind of make sense.

But Rutgers? Maryland? They just don't make sense. They are (were) cable market grabs, as we all know. Rivalries don't just happen. Takes an incredibly long time AND it needs to have quality teams on both sides to spark something meaningful.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:16 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:13 pm

Oh, hey, I'm not completely discounting that, but, really.. Not many tickets available to those outside of family in those barns.

And, I'll never really allow MD to fully settle in mind in the B1G. I barely want to acknowledge PSU and Nebraska, even though I think they kind of make sense.

But Rutgers? Maryland? They just don't make sense. They are (were) cable market grabs, as we all know. Rivalries don't just happen. Takes an incredibly long time AND it needs to have quality teams on both sides to spark something meaningful.
I totally get that. The proximity/familiarity bred not only respect, but also contempt. Maryland fans would crowd bars in Canton and Fells Point for the UVA game that they just don't care to do for Ohio State and Michigan. IMO, Turgeon caught the ire of fans who were already tired of the fans that are still pissed they uprooted all their traditional rivalries for the greener ($$) of the Big Ten. They say winning cures all. In this case? I dunno.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I just looked and in the 20 years since Maryland won the title, they've made the sweet 16 twice. And one of those was in 2003, the year after the title. They've missed the tournament 8 times (not counting 2020, but they would have made that one anyway).
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't have any inside info (though I do know a couple of guys I could pull info from if I really wanted to), but it sure seemed like the end of the Gary Williams era was less than ideal. Issues with the ADs aside, it just felt like something was weird about that "retirement."

Anyways, they were already on a downward trend before he left, and they sure have cemented the mediocrity role at this point.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:04 pm I don't have any inside info (though I do know a couple of guys I could pull info from if I really wanted to), but it sure seemed like the end of the Gary Williams era was less than ideal. Issues with the ADs aside, it just felt like something was weird about that "retirement."

Anyways, they were already on a downward trend before he left, and they sure have cemented the mediocrity role at this point.
Yeah, it always seemed to me like Gary lost his fire after he won the title. I mean, he still got fired up in games, but I think he stopped doing the hard off-court work, like recruiting. MD should always have Balt-DC area talent, especially after that run they had with the Baxter/Dixon/Blake teams.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:15 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:04 pm I don't have any inside info (though I do know a couple of guys I could pull info from if I really wanted to), but it sure seemed like the end of the Gary Williams era was less than ideal. Issues with the ADs aside, it just felt like something was weird about that "retirement."

Yeah, it always seemed to me like Gary lost his fire after he won the title. I mean, he still got fired up in games, but I think he stopped doing the hard off-court work, like recruiting. MD should always have Balt-DC area talent, especially after that run they had with the Baxter/Dixon/Blake teams.
I thought the inside story was Gary lost his fire after some recruiting incidents (was it Lance Stephenson going to the Bearcats?). The rumor mill was he was not willing to be play the AAU game. But maybe some shoe stuff was in there too. It was part of the reason Bino Ransom was on the coaching staff those last year(s).
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:49 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:15 pm

I thought the inside story was Gary lost his fire after some recruiting incidents (was it Lance Stephenson going to the Bearcats?). The rumor mill was he was not willing to be play the AAU game. But maybe some shoe stuff was in there too. It was part of the reason Bino Ransom was on the coaching staff those last year(s).
Didn't he get mad after losing a kid to UConn after UConn scheduled an exhibition game that essentially paid the kid's AAU coach 6 figures? The NCAA changed the rule a few years later to cut out that loophole. No more exhibition games against traveling all-star squads.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw this floating around. Kind of wild:

(He's shooting 64.3% from the field, and 46.3% on threes)
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

That doesn't seem very strange. Four centers and a stretch 4? 67 is about 3 a game? Probably not taking step backs off the dribble. Some guys have to be north of 200 3s attempts by now.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Maryland getting taken to the woodshed at home by an unranked Iowa squad, 92-61 with 7:59 left in the second half.
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:36 pm Maryland getting taken to the woodshed at home by an unranked Iowa squad, 92-61 with 7:59 left in the second half.
They just don't want to be there. Which is a shame because they have an event at a game for the national championship team later this month and I am not sure anyone will go.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Weird to see the Duke player on the receiving end of an insanely dirty play.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, that was pretty bad. Learned it by watching Grayson Allen no doubt.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Meanwhile, this is probably the weirdest MI bball season I can remember in over a decade. The ability to blowout a top 5 Purdue team, but barely scrapes by PSU on the road.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:06 am Yeah, that was pretty bad. Learned it by watching Grayson Allen no doubt.
Grayson’s dark enough to level the assault after engaging in the plausible deniability of making a play for the ball.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

This is like the time in DADA class (Defense against the Duke Arts) when Harry sectumsempra'd draco.

/nerdage
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pretty positive legs aren’t supposed to bend the way the one on that Baylor player just did.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Why would Wisconsin call timeout, up 15 with 15 seconds remaining?
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:39 pm Why would Wisconsin call timeout, up 15 with 15 seconds remaining?
I’m not up on Big Ten beefs. Is there something there between those two or is just run-of-the-mill Fuck UM-ness?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:39 pm Why would Wisconsin call timeout, up 15 with 15 seconds remaining?
Why were the Wolverines in a full court press after Wisc pulled their starters? That’s the real question.
oh shit...
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

teeteebee wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:45 pm
Why were the Wolverines in a full court press after Wisc pulled their starters? That’s the real question.
No, that's the answer to my question. Thanks!
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:47 pm
teeteebee wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:45 pm
No, that's the answer to my question. Thanks!
Howard has to know you can't expect the opposing team to lay down (despite the game situation) if you are still engaging in a press like that. Call off the dogs if you want the game to end, plain and simple.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Howard has got to be fired after that.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Guy was screaming crazy the other night. Wondered what was up but didn't think anything of it. Not dealing well with the stress. Been there seen that. Just sit there.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:25 pm Howard has got to be fired after that.
I think that's too much. But UM should suspend him for 5 games before the Big Ten or NCAA come after them.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:22 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:25 pm Howard has got to be fired after that.
I think that's too much. But UM should suspend him for 5 games before the Big Ten or NCAA come after them.
He’s got a history of confrontational behavior (as a head coach) though. Then again, he did win the B10 regular season championship last year.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think a suspension through the end of the regular season (that's 2 weeks/5 games) is fair. Then make a decision with cooler heads at the end of that. The conference might do that anyway.