Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:31 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:33 am I just binged through Safe over the weeked through last night. Harlan Coben written/produced and starring Michael C. Hall from Six Feet Under. Murder mystery with tons and tons of plot twists... Though not so convoluted that if you're paying a fair amount of attention, it's not annoying. (Dumb people should just steer clear, but I'm not talking to those folks here.)

I really liked it. Hall's British accent had me wondering if he was American or not, though I'm sure Brits would take issue with various aspects.

Felt like a Coben page-turner.
So, we started binging the various Netflix series’ based on Harlan Coben thriller novels. Just finished a great Brit one called The Stranger, and before that, a French one called Gone For Good. Really enjoying them.
Coben’s The Innocent has been on deck for a bit now. Will binge it this weekend if I get the thermostat fixed.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:48 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:33 am I just binged through Safe over the weeked through last night. Harlan Coben written/produced and starring Michael C. Hall from Six Feet Under. Murder mystery with tons and tons of plot twists... Though not so convoluted that if you're paying a fair amount of attention, it's not annoying. (Dumb people should just steer clear, but I'm not talking to those folks here.)

I really liked it. Hall's British accent had me wondering if he was American or not, though I'm sure Brits would take issue with various aspects.

So, we started binging the various Netflix series’ based on Harlan Coben thriller novels. Just finished a great Brit one called The Stranger, and before that, a French one called Gone For Good. Really enjoying them.
Coben’s The Innocent has been on deck for a bit now. Will binge it this weekend if I get the thermostat fixed.
The latest iteration, Stay Close, was another pretty good effort in this group. Folks smarter than I might figure out the twists, but it was on par with these others mentioned here.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sean Payton movie sounds like something.

It would have made a great Swamp movie night double-feature with FNL.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Stranger was a great book.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window is impossibly stupid and I loved it.

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I love Kristen Bell. Absolutely mark. Watched this entire series with my wife, and... It's what you said, but I had trouble getting over some aspects of it. Like... I get the kitsch aspect, but... perhaps a bit too much for me.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:16 pm I love Kristen Bell. Absolutely mark. Watched this entire series with my wife, and... It's what you said, but I had trouble getting over some aspects of it. Like... I get the kitsch aspect, but... perhaps a bit too much for me.
I heard this was supposed to be a parody of the made-for-women murder mystery genre.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:16 pm I love Kristen Bell. Absolutely mark. Watched this entire series with my wife, and... It's what you said, but I had trouble getting over some aspects of it. Like... I get the kitsch aspect, but... perhaps a bit too much for me.
I appreciated that they never once broke character over 8 episodes. Dumb as shit, in a good way.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Reviews on that have been all over the place. I'm a KB fan 4LYFE due to Veronica Mars so will probably give it a shot.

We started watching Murderville the other day because I was fishing for a comedy/not a movie/something my youngest would agree to watch with us, and she's into crime investigation stuff. We watched the first three episodes, and the first one (Conan) might have been the weakest. Marshawn Lynch was surprisingly great? The kid and I got into solving the crimes but I think we enjoyed it beyond just that aspect.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kristin Bell is also from Michigan which means she might be one of the coolest women in the world.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:24 pm Reviews on that have been all over the place. I'm a KB fan 4LYFE due to Veronica Mars so will probably give it a shot.

We started watching Murderville the other day because I was fishing for a comedy/not a movie/something my youngest would agree to watch with us, and she's into crime investigation stuff. We watched the first three episodes, and the first one (Conan) might have been the weakest. Marshawn Lynch was surprisingly great? The kid and I got into solving the crimes but I think we enjoyed it beyond just that aspect.
I watched the first two episodes of Murderville, and I'm not sure what to make of it. It's a weird premise, Will Arnet stars as a way over the top caricature of a bad TV detective. Every episode they bring in a celebrity guest who doesn't get a script. The guest is tagging along while Arnett's character investigates a murder. Guest asks 3 suspects questions and has to say who committed the crime at the end. It's more improv sketch than show. I liked Conan's episode, mostly because of listening to his podcast and knowing how much he enjoys doing bits. He and Arnett have discussed that when they see each other in public, they end up breaking out in a bit and annoying everyone around them and they'll keep it going for hours. Just knowing that, it was fun watching them work off each other. Marshawn was a weird one, because sometimes he was into it, sometimes I wasn't sure he knew what was going on. I was enjoying the comedy and forgot to pay attention to the clues. I'll eventually watch the rest I think. Not a great show, but it's original and had some funny moments.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I liked the first ep with Conan for almost exactly the same reasons. I'll definitely keep moving through it, but I don't think the wife was all that impressed. (She doesn't listen to my podcasts.)
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

rass wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:24 pm Reviews on that have been all over the place. I'm a KB fan 4LYFE due to Veronica Mars so will probably give it a shot.

We’re on episode 4 with Sharon Stone and I hope this is where this show hits its stride and uses its kick. I love they keep it in when the actors break a little. Keep going with it. It’s a great waste of time.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

serrano wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:39 pm

We’re on episode 4 with Sharon Stone and I hope this is where this show hits its stride and uses its kick. I love they keep it in when the actors break a little. Keep going with it. It’s a great waste of time.
We watched three episodes. The Kumail walking bit absolutely slayed me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:15 am
serrano wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:39 pm

We watched three episodes. The Kumail walking bit absolutely slayed me.
Yeah, was probably one of the only literal LOL moments for me, as opposed to understated chuckles.

We started the Kristen Bell mock-murder mystery show last night and my wife laughed almost the entirety of the first 5 minutes of the first episode at just the concept itself but by the end of the episode wasn't sure she wanted to stick with it. We watched one more episode after that. The tone is definitely all over the map, but I liked it enough and #KB4LYFE so I can stick it out for 6 more episodes and see where it's going.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't think they keep stats on these things, but the quit rate among people who don't dislike it seems incredibly high. I still quote it several weeks later.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

It was enjoyable in a "watch while I'm working" way.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

The Cuphead Show is a mayhem filled throwback to the days of classic animation.

Funny as hell - goes great with an edible.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

pruitt2 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:01 pm The Cuphead Show is a mayhem filled throwback to the days of classic animation.

Never played the Cuphead video game but it routinely was praised.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:08 am
pruitt2 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:01 pm The Cuphead Show is a mayhem filled throwback to the days of classic animation.

Never played the Cuphead video game but it routinely was praised.
Same here. The show is a hoot.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Awesome show. Love the old-timey detailed animation.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

YMMV but my wife and I were in the mood for a comedy so we watched "The Bubble" - Judd Apatow's new movie.

We lasted less than a half hour of what was a 2 hour movie. Almost hatefully bad.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

pruitt2 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:08 pm YMMV but my wife and I were in the mood for a comedy so we watched "The Bubble" - Judd Apatow's new movie.

We lasted less than a half hour of what was a 2 hour movie. Almost hatefully bad.
It was a long 2 hours. Not good at all. Although I did enjoy the ending.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

duff wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:09 am
pruitt2 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:08 pm YMMV but my wife and I were in the mood for a comedy so we watched "The Bubble" - Judd Apatow's new movie.

Yeah, it was a disjointed, incoherent mess, but it had some moments and I also enjoyed the ending.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:06 am
duff wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:09 am

Yeah, it was a disjointed, incoherent mess, but it had some moments and I also enjoyed the ending.
Bummer, I heard Apatow talking about it and I was looking forward to seeing it.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Normally Apatow endings suck. Also he thought Will Smith could've killed Chris Rock, so clearly he's lost his fucking mind.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Giff wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:27 am Normally Apatow endings suck. Also he thought Will Smith could've killed Chris Rock, so clearly he's lost his fucking mind.
But at least he's giving acting work to his family members.

Seriously - The Bubble had two lengthy "funny" montages in the first 20 minutes. Tells me that he really had to work to edit it down from Godfather length.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is a definite yes for me since I'm a huge Connelly fan:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That looks great. Also reminds me I thought Elliot Gould died a few years ago.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Old Enough is delightful.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh shit, this looks good.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jesus. Lot going on there.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Netflix shares crater 25% after company reports it lost subscribers for the first time in more than 10 years

I guess when you keep raising prices and cancelling content and threaten to change more if an account is shared during a time of gross inflation the market will respond.

If it weren't for T-Mobile subsidizing my and my wife's account we would've probably gotten rid of it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Can't grow forever, especially with so many established and strong competitors now - Disney+, Apple TV+, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Max, etc. There are good shows that attract subscriptions on all of those.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:22 am Can't grow forever, especially with so many established and strong competitors now - Disney+, Apple TV+, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Max, etc. There are good shows that attract subscriptions on all of those.
Unfortunately netflix has been commoditized. Disney is not because of the brands and Amazon has free shipping and toss in some TV. Everyone else is just a TV station. So they are all playing old TV playbooks. Who has sports
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah yeah yeah but Russian Doll season 2?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:43 am Yeah yeah yeah but Russian Doll season 2?
And Ozark 4.5! Who is dropping Netflix just before the Ozark finale?
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:15 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:22 am Can't grow forever, especially with so many established and strong competitors now - Disney+, Apple TV+, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Max, etc. There are good shows that attract subscriptions on all of those.
Unfortunately netflix has been commoditized. Disney is not because of the brands and Amazon has free shipping and toss in some TV. Everyone else is just a TV station. So they are all playing old TV playbooks. Who has sports
The rumor is AppleTV landed Sunday Ticket starting in 2023...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I don't think Netflix is commoditized at all. The reason I choose to watch other platforms (While admittedly still having a Netflix sub) is because there is differentiation in offerings. HBO has the most movies I want to watch plus great shows. Apple TV+ has a couple of really good shows but it would probably be my first cut if dropping. Disney+ is not going anywhere, and probably not Amazon Prime either, despite it having the least things I watch. I've never thought Hulu had enough for me that I would use so I just borrow it when needed.

Maybe I am just looking at the word differently, but I view commoditization as the old model, where you got pretty much the same thing no matter which cable company you used. I don't think streaming has crept there just yet despite total prices being close to in line with old packages. While I can get CONTENT anywhere, they aren't truly offering the exact same thing.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:43 am Yeah yeah yeah but Russian Doll season 2?
Watched the first couple of episodes...
[+] spoiler
Like the time travelling element, but am getting overwhelmed by Natasha Lyonne. Her character is already grating on my nerves, and the fact that she seems to be delivering the vast majority of the lines in the series is making it tough.