EPL 2020/21

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: EPL 2020/21

Post by govmentchedda »

pruitt2 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:50 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:48 am Both were out of favor, but sure feels like Everton had a pretty huge transfer day getting both van de Beek and Alli?
Can't speak about van de Beek, but Alli has not had a good game in 4 years or so. Spurs fans a bit sad, but more because we remember the promise that he showed a few years ago.
van de Beek hasn't had one good game in Manchester red.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

pruitt2 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:50 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:48 am Both were out of favor, but sure feels like Everton had a pretty huge transfer day getting both van de Beek and Alli?
Can't speak about van de Beek, but Alli has not had a good game in 4 years or so. Spurs fans a bit sad, but more because we remember the promise that he showed a few years ago.
Alli's deterioration is shocking. When watching All or Nothing Tottenham, there is just something off with him. His weird stare and smirk as Mourinho went off on him were strange. I don't know if he doesn't care, he is narcissistic, or maybe on the spectrum and just reacting in a different way than most, but it was noticeable, and he certainly didn't respond to Mourinho. So much talent, it'd be a shame if he doesn't get back to form.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

There were rumours of drug issues, but I think it was just a case of too much hype and a young kid who was suddenly making millions and no longer had to even try.

And once Cristian Ericksen stopped giving a shit, Alli's play fell off incredibly.

And 4 managers decided that he just wasn't good enough (or committed enough - or both) to play for England's 6th best team, so good luck to the Toffees.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Any Big 6 player who joins Everton is, by definition, damaged goods.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Rex wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:07 pm Any Big 6 player who joins Everton is, by definition, damaged goods.
Walcott? Andros Townsend? Aaron Lennon? Gylfi Sigurdson?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

pruitt2 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:38 pm
Rex wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:07 pm Any Big 6 player who joins Everton is, by definition, damaged goods.
Walcott? Andros Townsend? Aaron Lennon? Gylfi Sigurdson?
Walcott was just old, and a player who was 90% speed, age is crippling. What happened to Alex Iwobi’s career?
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, Spurs follows up the big win against Man City by losing to 18th place Burnley?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:45 pm So, Spurs follows up the big win against Man City by losing to 18th place Burnley?
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:20 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:45 pm So, Spurs follows up the big win against Man City by losing to 18th place Burnley?
This team can make Man City's holding midfielders and defenders look like children, yet are stonewalled by the 19th place team?
My daughter predicted it even before kickoff.

And when my number is up and it's time to shuffle off this mortal coil, the angels will taunt me for having spent 2 hours of my life watching such an abject display.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nice little ending there for Arsenal.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:41 pm Nice little ending there for Arsenal.
Such a huge 6 point swing. If Wolves held on, they would have jumped ahead of Arsenal. I'm in shock seeing Arsenal 1 point out of 4th with two games in hand. It's been so long since Arsenal competed for their 4th Place Trophy.
-Pruitt
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

If I was a betting man, I'd be putting a few bucks on Leeds to be relegated.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

pruitt2 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:37 am If I was a betting man, I'd be putting a few bucks on Leeds to be relegated.
Certainly missing Bamford
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

Not gonna lie, but it got a little dusty in here seeing Christian Erickson subbed in just now.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Is Anthony Gordon from Everton the most English looking guy ever?

He looks like every Tommy in a WWI film, ready to go over the top and fight the Jerries.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:18 pm Is Anthony Gordon from Everton the most English looking guy ever?

He looks like every Tommy in a WWI film, ready to go over the top and fight the Jerries.
He could be one of the Peaky Blinders
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Bielsa out at Leeds
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:10 pm
Surely trying to avoid legal problems tied to sanctions against Russian oligarchs. Or maybe even Russian-owned assets. The weird thing is it doesn't sound like he's giving up ownership, just "stewardship and care," whatever the hell that means. Doesn't sound like much of a solution to me, but I have to think he has good lawyers who worded that carefully.

How many other sports teams are owned by Russian oligarchs? The Brooklyn Nets, right? (and why do we only call Russian billionaires "oligarchs"?)
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:27 pm How many other sports teams are owned by Russian oligarchs? The Brooklyn Nets, right? (and why do we only call Russian billionaires "oligarchs"?)
The Everton owner is Iranian, but his money came through a Russian company.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:27 pm
How many other sports teams are owned by Russian oligarchs? The Brooklyn Nets, right? (and why do we only call Russian billionaires "oligarchs"?)
I think it's a little different with the Russian billionaires, as all of them gained their wealth by Putin handing them previously State-owned industries. Their wealth was obtained through grift and stealing from The People. Mikhail Prokhorov sold the Nets. I'm a bit confused by him. I used to think he was in the same boat as Abramovich, a Putin loyalist handed a fortune. Then he ran against Putin and seemed to gain traction, then backed down (my assumption was under threats from Putin), but I never fully understood that whole situation.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Baloney wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:42 am Bielsa out at Leeds
And Jesse Marsch in
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:56 pm
Baloney wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:42 am Bielsa out at Leeds
And Jesse Marsch in
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Kinda wanted him to remain free until the end of qualifying.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Definitely the depressing headline of the day. Imagine being propped up by Russian money and you’re still getting relegated.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:10 pm Kinda wanted him to remain free until the end of qualifying.
Same
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Three good goals in this Gunners game
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Baloney wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:50 am Three good goals in this Gunners game
Fourth pretty nice too
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That second half was about as good as it gets. Which is the opposite of United’s CBs today who looked about as bad as you can get.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:38 pm That second half was about as good as it gets. Which is the opposite of United’s CBs today who looked about as bad as you can get.
ManU's back four played like they met each other for the first time right before kick off.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

It is time to laugh hard at Man U.
It is United’s ninth season since the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson without a championship challenge and, during the period, they have won only three major trophies to City’s 11. All while spending more than £1bn on signings.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:11 am
Fourth pretty nice too
Fifth was nice too. Gotta give Watford's first goal the goal of the game though, magnificent. I haven't been this excited about Arsenal in over a decade. Not only are they playing beautiful, exciting soccer, but they actually have a strong defense for the first time in 15 years or more. The best part, the biggest contributors are all really young. I forget the stat, but a large percentage of Arsenal's goals are coming from players 22 yo and younger. Sako is 20, Martinelli is 21 and Smith-Rowe and Odegaard are 22. Yesterday Odegaard looked like peak Ozil if Ozil put in effort. The key defensive players are all really young, too. Ramsdale, White and Gabriel are all 23, Tierney is 24 and Tomiyasu is 22. I think it's crucial for Arsenal to qualify for Champions League to keep all these guys. My fear is they bolt to clubs playing CL. My other fear, which is the reason Arsenal haven't been good for so long, is they end up selling off all these guys. In the past, Arsenal had to sell players to pay off the Emirates and they had stupid rules about refusing to pay wages over a certain amount. My other concern is Stan Kroenke sucks. He doesn't care about the team beyond the cache of owning the club and he hasn't been willing to splash out cash for signings. OTOH, they did spend a fuckton on Pepe and large amount on Ramsdale and White.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:18 am
Fourth pretty nice too
Fifth was nice too. Gotta give Watford's first goal the goal of the game though, magnificent. I haven't been this excited about Arsenal in over a decade. Not only are they playing beautiful, exciting soccer, but they actually have a strong defense for the first time in 15 years or more. The best part, the biggest contributors are all really young. I forget the stat, but a large percentage of Arsenal's goals are coming from players 22 yo and younger. Sako is 20, Martinelli is 21 and Smith-Rowe and Odegaard are 22. Yesterday Odegaard looked like peak Ozil if Ozil put in effort. The key defensive players are all really young, too. Ramsdale, White and Gabriel are all 23, Tierney is 24 and Tomiyasu is 22. I think it's crucial for Arsenal to qualify for Champions League to keep all these guys. My fear is they bolt to clubs playing CL. My other fear, which is the reason Arsenal haven't been good for so long, is they end up selling off all these guys. In the past, Arsenal had to sell players to pay off the Emirates and they had stupid rules about refusing to pay wages over a certain amount. My other concern is Stan Kroenke sucks. He doesn't care about the team beyond the cache of owning the club and he hasn't been willing to splash out cash for signings. OTOH, they did spend a fuckton on Pepe and large amount on Ramsdale and White.
Their uniforms also just looked really good yesterday. Sunny afternoon in London and the red and white looked gorgeous out there. Crazy that they've improved without Auba and Barcelona have improved with him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:27 am
Fourth pretty nice too
Their uniforms also just looked really good yesterday. Sunny afternoon in London and the red and white looked gorgeous out there. Crazy that they've improved without Auba and Barcelona have improved with him.
I noticed the uniforms popping too. The colors looked brighter. Maybe it was the sunshine, haven't seen that in an EPL game in months. I think the red popped next to the bright yellow of Watford.

As for Auba, it's crazy how fast he jumped off in Barca. He sucked while he was playing every game prior to the disciplinary issues. I don't fully understand what happened. He held out for money, Arsenal gave in and signed him to a huge contract, and he immediately turned to shit. Then he played like he didn't care, skipped practices, overstayed his leave when his mother was sick... I was sad to see him go out like that, but I gotta give credit to Arteta for holding a strong line to push out his biggest star and captain to avoid poisoning the locker room.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I wish my team had played this week so I could talk to youse guys.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:06 am
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:27 am
Fourth pretty nice too
I noticed the uniforms popping too. The colors looked brighter. Maybe it was the sunshine, haven't seen that in an EPL game in months. I think the red popped next to the bright yellow of Watford.

As for Auba, it's crazy how fast he jumped off in Barca. He sucked while he was playing every game prior to the disciplinary issues. I don't fully understand what happened. He held out for money, Arsenal gave in and signed him to a huge contract, and he immediately turned to shit. Then he played like he didn't care, skipped practices, overstayed his leave when his mother was sick... I was sad to see him go out like that, but I gotta give credit to Arteta for holding a strong line to push out his biggest star and captain to avoid poisoning the locker room.
To be fair, Auba's 3rd goal of his hat trick a few weeks back was an amazing shot (by Pedri, I think; I'm still sorting out the wunderkinds at the Camp Nou) that grazed Auba's back/ass on it's way into the net.

degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Everton are really trying to get relegated
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:18 pm Is Anthony Gordon from Everton the most English looking guy ever?

Admittedly, one game is a small sample size - but he sucks.

As does that entire Everton team.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Everton would be the biggest surprise relegation since _______?
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:46 pm Everton would be the biggest surprise relegation since _______?
Newcastle?
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..