2021/22 NCAA Basketball

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Re: 2021/22 NCAA Basketball

Post by Square Rob »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:01 pm Say it again, I've never seen a more Night/Day basketball team than this version of MI. Probably just punched their NCAA ticket with a win in Columbus without their best player (Dickinson - stomach virus). They have loads and loads of talent and heart, but they play every 3rd game or so like they don't really want to be there.

Just... odd.
Did you happen to watch Alabama play at all this year?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hansbrough compared Saturday’s game in Durham to a recent episode of HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm, in which guest star Albert Brooks throws himself a funeral while still alive so he can enjoy everyone’s praise.

“The only thing I can really compare it to—and I know I’ll take some heat for this—is Larry David, the Larry David show. This season they have a guy that goes to his funeral while he’s still alive so people can tell him how good he is,” Hansbrough said. “I thought it was one of those situations, I thought it was funny.”
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Square Rob wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:46 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:01 pm Say it again, I've never seen a more Night/Day basketball team than this version of MI. Probably just punched their NCAA ticket with a win in Columbus without their best player (Dickinson - stomach virus). They have loads and loads of talent and heart, but they play every 3rd game or so like they don't really want to be there.

Just... odd.
Did you happen to watch Alabama play at all this year?
Nope.

But, to be clear, the Indiana game was the first time they've done the yo yo thing inside of one game. Usually, the beat the life out of a team one game, and then shit the bed the next outing. Super frustrating and wouldn't be upset if they didn't make the tourney.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

One of the things I love about college basketball can be summed up in a player like Collin Gillespie. I’m not a Villanova fan, per se, but the guy’s floor leadership skills are off the charts, and he can hit a three with the best of them. If they are to reach the Final Four, he will likely be a key factor.

He’s also not particularly fast (or tall) and may very well go undrafted…And when he is signed as a free agent, he will likely have to maintain a high 3pt shooting percentage to justify a bench spot in the NBA.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Looks to me the biggest snub is Dayton (23-10) because Richmond stole the A10 crown. Still, Michigan was only 17-14 and went 2-7 vs ranked opponents this year.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Most A-10 fans I know of were pretty positive Davidson losing in the finals was pretty much the only path to 2 bids. I don’t think Dayton was making it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:59 pm Most A-10 fans I know of were pretty positive Davidson losing in the finals was pretty much the only path to 2 bids. I don’t think Dayton was making it.
The guys on the selection show didn’t think Dayton deserved to be in.

I’m kind of excited about the tourney, since my alma mater got in and has what looks like a winnable game (sorry, Nonlinear), and the Mountain West got four teams in, which I assume is a record for them.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think there’s a good chance a certain alma mater of mine fucked them.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yeah, it's sort of a horse shit argument when they say Dayton only played one ranked team (1-0) when teams got in from more established conferences (Big Ten, specifically) that shat the bed vs ranked opponents (2-7, 3-7 for both Michigan and Indiana). Shit, Indiana finished with an under .500 record vs the Big Ten.

Nine teams from the Big Ten? Give me a break.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Big East at-large bids from the committee versus KenPom rankings is a very clear instance of one side being very, very wrong. There’s a 4 seed with six (6) teams that missed the tourney ranked higher.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:33 pm Big East at-large bids from the committee versus KenPom rankings is a very clear instance of one side being very, very wrong. There’s a 4 seed with six (6) teams that missed the tourney ranked higher.
I’ll admit I don’t know much about college basketball, but to your point (and EnochRoot’s point), KenPom’s #74 ranked team got an at-large bid to the tournament.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:33 pm Big East at-large bids from the committee versus KenPom rankings is a very clear instance of one side being very, very wrong. There’s a 4 seed with six (6) teams that missed the tourney ranked higher.
Can you provide some specifics here?
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:05 pm
Can you provide some specifics here?
He’s referring to Providence. (#49 at KenPom.com)
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Let’s say the over/under for Big Ten teams making it to the weekend is 3.5. Are you going over or under?
oh shit...
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:59 pm Most A-10 fans I know of were pretty positive Davidson losing in the finals was pretty much the only path to 2 bids. I don’t think Dayton was making it.
One of my cousins is a Dayton alum/superfan. He was hopeful, but didn't like their chances without the auto-bid. Their early season losses were killer (UMass-Lowell - KenPom #249, Lipscomb - #265, Austin Peay - #289), but grew into a really good team.

Malichi Smith getting hurt right before halftime in the A-10 semis killed them. They looked like they were going to be fine through the first several minutes of the second half against Richmond, but they fell apart.

And Mister D - I ended up with both Davidson and Richmond in my pool draft.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:32 pmHe’s referring to Providence. (#49 at KenPom.com)
Not just them. Providence has 6 teams that didn't get bids ahead of them but so did Marquette. Creighton had 8. Its never going to be perfect, but the Big East sure looks like a team that got every decision in their direction in what appears to be a down overall year.
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:23 amAnd Mister D - I ended up with both Davidson and Richmond in my pool draft.
Not sure how I'd feel about that unless you get the spread. A-10 was a mess this year, esp relative to where I thought Bonaventure would rank among the recent history great teams.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

As I've said many times this year, wtf knows which MI team shows up. If you get the version where Hunter Dickinson establishes his game and then starts kicking it to Houstan and Brooks to knock down threes, not many teams are going to beat that.

But you are just as likely to get the version that turns the ball over 20 times and can't hit the broadside of the barn.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I usually ignore the first 4 games, but intrigued by Rutgers v. Notre Dame and Wyoming v. Indiana. Have enjoyed watching Ron Harper Jr. and think Brey is a very good coach (too bad Terps did not get to him when Gary Williams retired). I think the Pokes and IU will just be a fun matchup (or my eyes will burn from the contrast in uniform colors).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, Harper Jr. is a weird one. Profiles as much more of an 80s/90s player than his father, who was an actual 80s/90s player.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:08 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:23 amAnd Mister D - I ended up with both Davidson and Richmond in my pool draft.
Not sure how I'd feel about that unless you get the spread. A-10 was a mess this year, esp relative to where I thought Bonaventure would rank among the recent history great teams.
They were my 6th- and 7th-round picks, #44 and #53 overall, Davidson first. Basically, I liked Davidson better than Miami and South Dakota State when I grabbed them and Richmond was the last 12/highest seed remaining.

Giff would be prouder of my first two picks - Baylor (they fell out of the top four) and Houston (instead of Wisconsin or any four seed).
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:53 am I usually ignore the first 4 games, but intrigued by Rutgers v. Notre Dame and Wyoming v. Indiana. Have enjoyed watching Ron Harper Jr. and think Brey is a very good coach (too bad Terps did not get to him when Gary Williams retired). I think the Pokes and IU will just be a fun matchup (or my eyes will burn from the contrast in uniform colors).
The 16-seed play-ins are generally bad basketball, but the 11/12 play-ins are usually entertaining, if nothing else.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:56 amThey were my 6th- and 7th-round picks, #44 and #53 overall, Davidson first. Basically, I liked Davidson better than Miami and South Dakota State when I grabbed them and Richmond was the last 12/highest seed remaining.
Is South Dakota State an obvious upset pick or is my anti-Big East position getting the best of me?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:00 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:56 amThey were my 6th- and 7th-round picks, #44 and #53 overall, Davidson first. Basically, I liked Davidson better than Miami and South Dakota State when I grabbed them and Richmond was the last 12/highest seed remaining.
Is South Dakota State an obvious upset pick or is my anti-Big East position getting the best of me?
The big stats for teams with upset potential are extreme pace/tempo at either end of the spectrum (number of possessions), three-point shooting (volatility), offensive rebounding rate (relates to number of possessions), forcing turnovers (again, possessions).

South Dakota State has KenPom's #59 adjusted tempo while being far-and-away the #1 three-point shooting team in the country (44.9%, second is Colgate at 40.3% - their KenPom offense is #12), so they have a couple big factors for pulling the upset. Providence is a pretty good matchup for them because they don't force turnovers and aren't a top-end offensive rebounding team.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:53 am I usually ignore the first 4 games, but intrigued by Rutgers v. Notre Dame and Wyoming v. Indiana. Have enjoyed watching Ron Harper Jr. and think Brey is a very good coach (too bad Terps did not get to him when Gary Williams retired). I think the Pokes and IU will just be a fun matchup (or my eyes will burn from the contrast in uniform colors).
Pokes have two really solid players (Ike and Maldonado) and really have had a great year. Top end of the MW was very good this year, and they were right in the mix.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Square Rob wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:17 am
Pokes have two really solid players (Ike and Maldonado) and really have had a great year. Top end of the MW was very good this year, and they were right in the mix.
Rooting for your ‘Pokes, Pentagonz!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:17 am
Rooting for your ‘Pokes, Pentagonz!
Yup! Always root for the MWC (thank goodness Utah and BYU left)

Had a buddy that went to UCONN try to get me riled up for their matchup with NMSU, personally, I wouldn't mind if a hole opened up under the stadium. Despise both those schools.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'm not telling you guys how to gamble your life away, and given my BIG BET record you should ignore this, but take St. Pete and the 18 points. Cal has a way of letting his teams suck shit against nobodies. UK will almost certainly win, but I bet it is more of a 10-12 point game. I figure it will be something like 72-60.

All bets refunded up to $0.01 via venmo if I am wrong.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, if your team misses the NCAA tournament, maybe you can go to the NIT. But, did you know there is also the collegeinsider.com tournament, for the next (third) level of top teams!

I just reviewed the first round schedule. All but five of the teams finished with more wins than losses!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

As a fan of a bad program, I did know about that and I’m relatively sure you have to pay to participate or host or something like that.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:20 pm So, if your team misses the NCAA tournament, maybe you can go to the NIT. But, did you know there is also the collegeinsider.com tournament, for the next (third) level of top teams!
Its the Europa Conference League of college basketball!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kinda cute that Mountain West teams think they can hang with Big Ten teams once the whistles get swallowed in the big dance.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Pokes played like shit. Ike was tight early and they didn’t move the ball quickly enough for me in the second half. They had a few guys knocking down shots when they moved ball rather than just Maldonado and Ike playing two-man games.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:24 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:20 pm So, if your team misses the NCAA tournament, maybe you can go to the NIT. But, did you know there is also the collegeinsider.com tournament, for the next (third) level of top teams!
Its the Europa Conference League of college basketball!
This is the CBI which replaced the old CIT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CollegeIn ... Tournament). I think teams have to foot the bill for this one. Lots of teams turn it down.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That sounds like a worst case scenario. If I was coaching a team that missed both the bigger tourneys and was offered a bid to this scam (and assuming I'd still be employed), I would seriously put it up to a blind vote to my players whether they even would want to go.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:20 am That sounds like a worst case scenario. If I was coaching a team that missed both the bigger tourneys and was offered a bid to this scam (and assuming I'd still be employed), I would seriously put it up to a blind vote to my players whether they even would want to go.
Another coach using kids to shield himself from failure.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I dunno, pretty easy to make the case that "the more games you play in March the better" when it comes to the CBI. Rough equivalent to the Poulan Weedeater Bowl... No one outside of the two teams (and even then, meh) care, but the coaches want as many practices and games on the docket as possible.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

In the past they have tried to do some interesting things for this 3rd-tier event. One year they made a best 3 final. I think they have done some rule trials in these too. This time it appears to be a single venue event. I am guessing most of these tournaments are targets for agents, overseas teams, etc.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Square Rob wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:04 am Pokes played like shit. Ike was tight early and they didn’t move the ball quickly enough for me in the second half. They had a few guys knocking down shots when they moved ball rather than just Maldonado and Ike playing two-man games.
I could only stand watching the first eight minutes. Their style of just backing down guys like it was the mid-90's NBA was excruciating (is that how they normally play?).

I also thought the officiating was terrible for the reason Brian cited. Jay Bilas would have had an aneurysm watching that game, screaming "freedom of movement" to his dying breath.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:57 am
Square Rob wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:04 am Pokes played like shit. Ike was tight early and they didn’t move the ball quickly enough for me in the second half. They had a few guys knocking down shots when they moved ball rather than just Maldonado and Ike playing two-man games.
I could only stand watching the first eight minutes. Their style of just backing down guys like it was the mid-90's NBA was excruciating (is that how they normally play?).
I turned it on just in time to see the one Wyoming player hanging his head over a garbage can puking his guts out.

Nice to see the Hoosiers back in the tourney though.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:07 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:57 am
I turned it on just in time to see the one Wyoming player hanging his head over a garbage can puking his guts out.

Nice to see the Hoosiers back in the tourney though.
Is it?