Re: 2021/22 NCAA Basketball

Post by Shirley »

Down year for the ACC.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I think a neat little thing going on right now is last night Kansas won its 2,324th game in program history, the most in NCAA history, and then Carolina won around 2.5 hours later for their 2,324th win to tie them.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:25 am I think a neat little thing going on right now is last night Kansas won its 2,324th game in program history, the most in NCAA history, and then Carolina won around 2.5 hours later for their 2,324th win to tie them.
It’s not cool at all!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This inevitable UNC-Duke semifinal is gonna make me want to kill myself
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

A_B wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:13 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:25 am I think a neat little thing going on right now is last night Kansas won its 2,324th game in program history, the most in NCAA history, and then Carolina won around 2.5 hours later for their 2,324th win to tie them.
It’s not cool at all!
Fake news…. Kansas is number 1 with more than 2,324 wins. UNC is #3. Surprisingly, Temple is #5.
oh shit...
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

teeteebee wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:22 pm
A_B wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:13 am
It’s not cool at all!
Fake news…. Kansas is number 1 with more je than 2,324 wins. UNC is #3. Surprisingly, Temple is #5.
My bad. I could’ve sworn I’ve seen that Kansas and Carolina were 1-2 during a bumper to a game last week.

Temple started playing in 1894-95. That’s three years after Dr. Naismith first hung the peach baskets. I remember we had a conversation here when UVA won their title a few years back who the best program never to win the NCAAs. I don’t think we came to consensus, but Temple and Oklahoma got a lot of the ink.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Looks like Penny is in some extreme hot water in Memphis. Probably good for the school as he is not a good coach at that level.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Fuck Duke, but more importantly, fuck the people who thought it was cute to give Grant fucking Hill a microphone to point out his former teammates in the crowd.

Fuke Duck.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:12 pm Fuck Duke, but more importantly, fuck the people who thought it was cute to give Grant fucking Hill a microphone to point out his former teammates in the crowd.

Fuke Duck.
I have full confidence Duke will be just as insufferable next year after Coach K retires.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:07 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:12 pm Fuck Duke, but more importantly, fuck the people who thought it was cute to give Grant fucking Hill a microphone to point out his former teammates in the crowd.

Fuke Duck.
I have full confidence Duke will be just as insufferable next year after Coach K retires.
I mean, it's UNC and Duke in a collision course in the Big Easy semi final game.

Villanova vs Kansas in the other one.

The elephant in the room is the injured Nova guard. Honestly, Duke's the champion unless UNC punks them again.

Duke had this '04 UConn vibe to them tonight. Altered a hilarious # of shots without even touching them. What the hell was Arkansas doing getting that far?
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

We’re a half away against a perennial title contender, but if they make the Final Four and lead The U to becoming a MBB powerhouse, then I’m all for it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

duff wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:00 pm Looks like Penny is in some extreme hot water in Memphis. Probably good for the school as he is not a good coach at that level.
I, for one, am shocked, SHOCKED, that Memphis might have been cheating. Again.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:22 pm We’re a half away against a perennial title contender, but if they make the Final Four and lead The U to becoming a MBB powerhouse, then I’m all for it.
woof
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:19 pm
duff wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:00 pm Looks like Penny is in some extreme hot water in Memphis. Probably good for the school as he is not a good coach at that level.
I, for one, am shocked, SHOCKED, that Memphis might have been cheating. Again.
Except, it's not. This is still a prolonged fight with the NCAA from Wiseman.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Tomorrow in the Women's tournament, NC State is #1 seed in their region, but has to play #2 UConn in Bridgeport, Connecticut? I wonder why the #2 seed got bracketed to get what is essentially a home game when they play the top seed?

If I was an NC State person, I'd be pissed about that.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:16 pm Tomorrow in the Women's tournament, NC State is #1 seed in their region, but has to play #2 UConn in Bridgeport, Connecticut? I wonder why the #2 seed got bracketed to get what is essentially a home game when they play the top seed?

If I was an NC State person, I'd be pissed about that.
Mens committee avoided this scenario by putting Nova in the south region.

As if UConn needed that extra benefit.
oh shit...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, that seeding was a shocker. Plenty of Villanova fans would have been much happier as an East 3 rather than a South 2 which kinda proves the point about home court.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I just realized that three of the four possible matchups would be rematches from a prior Final, which only happened once before. Only Nova vs Duke would be a new Final.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I believe each team has at least three national titles which is a first for the Final Four
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm happy for Shaheen Holloway that he got the Seton Hall gig. But I wonder if his taking that job about 4 minutes after losing to UNC taints the run a bit for St. Peters? Look, we're a big time program too! Oh wait, the millisecond he gets a chance to bolt to a better program, our coach left. :-(

BTW, I have nothing against Holloway and I hope he does well ... but, I'd say it's even odds he never gets to the Elite Eight again.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Coaches jumping in this scenario is so commonplace, I don't think anyone thinks any less of their run. Andy Enfield jumped from Florida-Gulf Coast to USC almost as quickly after taking Dunk City to the Sweet 16.

And no one thinks/thought Saint Peter's is/was "a big time program".

ETA: And there was talk about Holloway being the candidate for Seton Hall when Willard became a candidate for the Maryland job.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Oh none of it surprises me. And I think Cinderella runs are still fun, but there's often a component to the coverage of them - usually by non-normal college hoops media - as if this school is going to suddenly become Gonzaga or something. Then, they lose, their coach leaves, and they never make a remotely similar run again. And more often than not, the coach doesn't parlay that one run into a successful career.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:56 am Oh none of it surprises me. And I think Cinderella runs are still fun, but there's often a component to the coverage of them - usually by non-normal college hoops media - as if this school is going to suddenly become Gonzaga or something. Then, they lose, their coach leaves, and they never make a remotely similar run again. And more often than not, the coach doesn't parlay that one run into a successful career.
The former had a long career before his run, but Jim Larranaga and Shaka Smart are fairly successful coaches now.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:37 am I'm happy for Shaheen Holloway that he got the Seton Hall gig. But I wonder if his taking that job about 4 minutes after losing to UNC taints the run a bit for St. Peters? Look, we're a big time program too! Oh wait, the millisecond he gets a chance to bolt to a better program, our coach left. :-(

BTW, I have nothing against Holloway and I hope he does well ... but, I'd say it's even odds he never gets to the Elite Eight again.
I think its a little better since he's going back to his alma mater and not saying fuck off for like Providence? But still sucks, especially since everyone knew early he only had one more loss at St. Peter's.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:37 am I'm happy for Shaheen Holloway that he got the Seton Hall gig. But I wonder if his taking that job about 4 minutes after losing to UNC taints the run a bit for St. Peters? Look, we're a big time program too! Oh wait, the millisecond he gets a chance to bolt to a better program, our coach left. :-(
The same thing happened with Gonzaga way back in the day. Dan Monson got them to the Elite Eight, then bolted to Minnesota about 10 minutes after the game ended.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:08 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:56 am Oh none of it surprises me. And I think Cinderella runs are still fun, but there's often a component to the coverage of them - usually by non-normal college hoops media - as if this school is going to suddenly become Gonzaga or something. Then, they lose, their coach leaves, and they never make a remotely similar run again. And more often than not, the coach doesn't parlay that one run into a successful career.
The former had a long career before his run, but Jim Larranaga and Shaka Smart are fairly successful coaches now.
I almost listed both of those. Larranaga has been solid at Miami, but hasn't matched the Final Four run he had at George Mason. Not even close until this year.

Shaka Smart left VCU for a school with WAY more resources and never matched that run. He was heading to get fired at Texas before he bolted for a step-down to Marquette. Good coach, maybe even very good, but he hasn't proven to be a great coach. He's lost his last 7 NCAA tournament games.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Defector post running down Coach K's tourney losses is a delight.

Coach K’s 30 NCAA Tournament Losses, Ranked From Delightful To Even More Delightful

I argue with their selection for #1 (CAL 82, DUKE 77—1993 (Second Round) - The Jason Kidd game) though...for me its gotta be UNLV 103, DUKE 73–1990 (Championship). That was a complete ass-whupping that was so bad Bobby Hurley had shark nightmares for months afterwards.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:52 pm The Defector post running down Coach K's tourney losses is a delight.

Coach K’s 30 NCAA Tournament Losses, Ranked From Delightful To Even More Delightful

I argue with their selection for #1 (CAL 82, DUKE 77—1993 (Second Round) - The Jason Kidd game) though...for me its gotta be UNLV 103, DUKE 73–1990 (Championship). That was a complete ass-whupping that was so bad Bobby Hurley had shark nightmares for months afterwards.
The very idea of that article and the title are funny enough. But the article was a fun read as well, even if I don't count myself as a true Duke hater. I actually liked Duke when I first started following college hoops as they were completely harmless. Then, I really like Johnnie Dawkins, so they were my second-favorite ACC team. That started to change during the Laettner-Hurley days as I (and pretty much everyone who watched college hoops in those days) got really sick of hearing how great they were.
Totally Kafkaesque
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Shirley wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:40 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:52 pm The Defector post running down Coach K's tourney losses is a delight.

The very idea of that article and the title are funny enough. But the article was a fun read as well, even if I don't count myself as a true Duke hater. I actually liked Duke when I first started following college hoops as they were completely harmless. Then, I really like Johnnie Dawkins, so they were my second-favorite ACC team. That started to change during the Laettner-Hurley days as I (and pretty much everyone who watched college hoops in those days) got really sick of hearing how great they were.
Same here. But the Laettner-Hurley teams had the Hills, and they were really hard to hate.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think this game is Kansas in a walk.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I remember cheering for Duke in the '78 Finals against Kentucky (the Goose Givens game). That was a fun team (Banks, Spanarkel, Gminski), but it was long before K was there.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:12 pm

I remember cheering for Duke in the '78 Finals against Kentucky (the Goose Givens game). That was a fun team (Banks, Spanarkel, Gminski), but it was long before K was there.
18 months?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:32 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:12 pm

18 months?
Hah...I was in 8th grade! I didn't realize that K was hired so soon after that game.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

IMO, if it weren't for Jay Wright, this Villanova team would be losing by 30 points right now. Undersized, under-manned, and when Kansas hits 3s like that?
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:56 pm I think this game is Kansas in a walk.
That late first half rally by 'Nova coincided with me turning on the game, seeing the margin was 18, and failing to find something else to watch. Turner Networks owes me some scratch for making it close enough to get people to stay for the second half.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

BIG FELLA
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Anyone ever been to Guster?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Did a Duke fan just flash a racist hand symbol while celebrating a 3 point shot?

(I've seen Guster - they were good 15 years ago. Not a fan of their stuff lately)
Noli Timere Messorem
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:38 pm Did a Duke fan just flash a racist hand symbol while celebrating a 3 point shot?

(I've seen Guster - they were good 15 years ago. Not a fan of their stuff lately)
Duke hit a three and the fan put up three fingers. Don’t think there’s anything to make of that.
oh shit...
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

teeteebee wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:41 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:38 pm Did a Duke fan just flash a racist hand symbol while celebrating a 3 point shot?

Duke hit a three and the fan put up three fingers. Don’t think there’s anything to make of that.
She spread her last three fingers while pinching her index finger to her thumb.

You're probably right though.
Noli Timere Messorem