The Dude

Re: Phones & Cases And Such

Post by P.D.X. »

Sweet. Will check it out
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I don't know that they sell iphone, but if you already have a phone, they definitely can be on the network. Not exactly sure when they made that change, but it's been at least a year or so.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Thinking of switching from Verizon to Comcast for cell service. Seems like it's cheaper but Comcast can be dicks with your data speed if you use your phone a lot for for streaming away from WiFi which I don't. Anyone know anything about this?
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:35 pm Thinking of switching from Verizon to Comcast for cell service. Seems like it's cheaper but Comcast can be dicks with your data speed if you use your phone a lot for for streaming away from WiFi which I don't. Anyone know anything about this?
I would check their coverage/who they piggyback off of, just having comcast WiFi in cities seems...less than ideal.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

blundercrush wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:50 pm
EdRomero wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:35 pm Thinking of switching from Verizon to Comcast for cell service. Seems like it's cheaper but Comcast can be dicks with your data speed if you use your phone a lot for for streaming away from WiFi which I don't. Anyone know anything about this?
I would check their coverage/who they piggyback off of, just having comcast WiFi in cities seems...less than ideal.
They piggy back off of Verizon which is good around here. I just worry there some kind of scam (more than the usual).
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Working my way out of the stone age. Bought a new iPhone 13 today to replace my old iPhone 6. Quite a difference. Still learning the differences.

Any pointers or other thoughts appreciated.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The new iOS safari on my phone is weirding me out.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:48 am The new iOS safari on my phone is weirding me out.
Me too. I hate when the look of any tech interface changes, but I got used to it quickly. I don't know why they felt the need to change it, I don't see any advantages.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Has anyone ever tried a CD-slot phone mount for their car? If so, does it work well? I'm thinking about getting one for my new-to-me Toyota Highlander, but I'm not convinced these types of mounts hold up well. Here's one model I'm considering:

Thingie
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Sabo wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:29 am Has anyone ever tried a CD-slot phone mount for their car? If so, does it work well? I'm thinking about getting one for my new-to-me Toyota Highlander, but I'm not convinced these types of mounts hold up well. Here's one model I'm considering:

Thingie
I had one...it worked fine. I stopped using it because I switched to a pop-socket mount thing.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:56 am
Sabo wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:29 am Has anyone ever tried a CD-slot phone mount for their car? If so, does it work well? I'm thinking about getting one for my new-to-me Toyota Highlander, but I'm not convinced these types of mounts hold up well. Here's one model I'm considering:

Thingie
I had one...it worked fine. I stopped using it because I switched to a pop-socket mount thing.
Not hat it matters but shoving something in the CD slot can f' with you radio a bit (after time the radio can sometimes think you put a cd in or are ejecting it). Have had better luck with the type that stick to the dash or windows. I would not go with the type that hooks to the air vent.

The real thing to focus on is how it holds the phone with your case on it.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I've been using an air vent magnet in my CR-V for years and never had a problem with it. My phone case already has a metal plate on the back so a magnet-type holder will be fine. But the vents are in a tighter spot in the Highlander and it blocks my view of the phone. The CD tray is in a perfect location for the phone, but again, I didn't know how sturdy the connection would be. The units I've looked at have some sort of clip that locks it in place, so it should be good, but I always prefer to hear real-world experiences with items if possible.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:10 am I've been using an air vent magnet in my CR-V for years and never had a problem with it. My phone case already has a metal plate on the back so a magnet-type holder will be fine. But the vents are in a tighter spot in the Highlander and it blocks my view of the phone. The CD tray is in a perfect location for the phone, but again, I didn't know how sturdy the connection would be. The units I've looked at have some sort of clip that locks it in place, so it should be good, but I always prefer to hear real-world experiences with items if possible.
I am all in on lifeproof. I loved the case I had and the quickmount I use works on the armband (running), bike, and car.
https://www.lifeproof.com/en-us/lifeactiv-quickmount However, since they were bought by otterbox, I am concerned they are not going to be an ongoing option.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I got a new phone the other day and my brain is having a hard time coping with a phone with not plugging the phone in constantly (it had been 4 1/2 years).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:15 pm I got a new phone the other day and my brain is having a hard time coping with a phone with not plugging the phone in constantly (it had been 4 1/2 years).
Don't worry if it's an iPhone, the battery will start draining fast in no time.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:15 pm I got a new phone the other day and my brain is having a hard time coping with a phone with not plugging the phone in constantly (it had been 4 1/2 years).
In 2018 after going from a Nexus 6 to a OnePlus 6, I felt the same way. And then 2 years later going to a OnePlus 8T I felt the same way -- but mostly because it could fully charge in around 30 minutes.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Broke my cherry and cracked my phone screen for the first time.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:02 pm Broke my cherry and cracked my phone screen for the first time.
Your phone isn't supposed to go in there.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:58 am
brian wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:02 pm Broke my cherry and cracked my phone screen for the first time.
Your phone isn't supposed to go in there.
But the kegels are apparently working!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I need to get a new phone but it's hard to find anything other than unlimited plans which I don't really need.

Any suggestions on carriers/plans to match with a new iPhone? I'm thinking I might just go to a Verizon store tomorrow and see if I can find someone who is remotely helpful, though I'm certain they're going to try and fuck me and steer me to something that is way more expensive than I need as far as a plan
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Mint mobile then?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Xfinity Mobile is about $50 less a month for two lines than Verizon. They lease the bandwidth from Verizon, and it is definitely a step below on Verizon’s priority list, but it’s decent enough. Still, I’m tired of having the world in my pocket. My next phone will be a flip phone.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:24 pm Mint mobile then?
Help fund Wrexham's rise!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Looks like my iPhone X is dying...the lightning port is flaky, and the power cable connects/disconnects repeatedly. I'll plug it in at night, and sometimes I wake up and it hasn't charged.

Anyways...if one was to get a new iPhone 14, which model would one get?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think they're doing that shit they do where an update fucks with the battery and cell connections and shit because its time to push new purchases.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:37 pm Looks like my iPhone X is dying...the lightning port is flaky, and the power cable connects/disconnects repeatedly. I'll plug it in at night, and sometimes I wake up and it hasn't charged.

I'd go with the plus, but there isn't much downsideto the regular, IMO. Depends on how big you like it!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Considering getting an iPhone for the 12-year-old for Christmas (responsibility level, etc. are not concerns for them). Is there a recommended vendor for used phones? Simply trying to keep the cost down instead of buying a new phone.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:53 pm Considering getting an iPhone for the 12-year-old for Christmas (responsibility level, etc. are not concerns for them). Is there a recommended vendor for used phones? Simply trying to keep the cost down instead of buying a new phone.
Do you have a Bad Apple or other iPhone repair place nearby? I've bought my last two iPhones from the local repair shop here, and they've been great.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:37 pm Looks like my iPhone X is dying...the lightning port is flaky, and the power cable connects/disconnects repeatedly. I'll plug it in at night, and sometimes I wake up and it hasn't charged.

Did you try cleaning out the port? On my first iPhone many moons ago it wouldn't charge at all. Brought it to several places and they told me I needed a new port and it made more sense to buy a new phone at the rates they charged. Brought it to a local repair show, guy dug into the port with tweezers and a toothpick and pulled out some lint. Took a charge immediately. Guy told me to come back in a few hours after it was fully charged and it worked perfectly, no more issues connecting, and the guy refused to let me pay him.

As for the batteries dying, I'm sure we've discussed it before, but Apple lost a class action suit because they intentionally designed batteries to stop working after a few years. Not sure if it's a software design or using batteries that decay. A few years ago my son's phone kept draining really fast, like an hour from full charge to dead with no apps running. I had the same shop replace the battery for $50 instead of the $300 or whatever Apple charged. Replacement battery worked great for about a year, then we broke down and got him a new phone.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

officially upgrade to a current model iphone today for the first time in a loooong time. have been rocking the 7 plus since 2016
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:32 am officially upgrade to a current model iphone today for the first time in a loooong time. have been rocking the 7 plus since 2016
Me too! (last month, but I also had a 7 and now I'm rocking a 12... company ph, but I haven't had a personal cell since back when I bought a Treo in 2000.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If you're on autopay with T-Mobile they are changing it so that you have to have a debit card or bank account on file instead of a credit card.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/t-mobi ... nt-in-may/

Pretty shitty if you ask me. I may have to visit a store and see what my options are for a better cell phone plan.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Pixel Fold is $1,800. And it's getting mixed reviews.

Then there's this:

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Apparently I can get a free battery replacement on my iPhone because the battery is now shitty enough (< 80% capacity versus new). Anyone done this before? Big improvement? Any hidden fees?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Yes
Yes
How would i know?!?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Mine is about 3 years old and max battery shows as less than 87% capacity and it’s suggested I should get an authorized retailer to replace it but hasn’t offered to cover it yet.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:04 pm Mine is about 3 years old and max battery shows as less than 87% capacity and it’s suggested I should get an authorized retailer to replace it but hasn’t offered to cover it yet.
Just checked, mine is 87% too! My firm’s mobile device policy allows for a $300 reimbursement towards buying a new phone. You can do this every 18 months! I keep a phone for like 5 years, so this seems crazy to me.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

FYI, T-Mobile customers:

T-Mobile Is Forcibly Moving People on Older Plans to Some of Its Newer Ones in November

I called and opted out today. It was very easy. I'm on the OG military plan where I have 2 lines and Netflix for $84. I'm not trying to lose that.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The iPhone 12 I had but the dust after one final drop while fumbling with the keys. My brother runs a T-Mobile store so I was lucky enough he was working. Before I left the house I checked the passwords for all my major apps knowing that was a pain last time I got a new phone in 2020. I had no idea they could transfer all that so easy now! My Sportsfrog tab was still open on the Safari app on the new phone!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto