Quick Hitter Travel Guide - Denver *TODAY*

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Quick Hitter Travel Guide - Denver *TODAY*

Post by sancarlos »

Speaking of Pliny, Russian River Brewing also has a great hazy IPA called Mind Circus. A local place has it on tap and the wife and I partook a few days ago. Really tasty.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:49 pm Speaking of Pliny, Russian River Brewing also has a great hazy IPA called Mind Circus. A local place has it on tap and the wife and I partook a few days ago. Really tasty.
I really love their sour porter, it gets bottle releases here but either we get a small ass allocation or someone else is getting there before me as I can only pick up a couple as that's all that's available.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

We are taking a cross country trip this summer and will be in Denver for overnight and 6 hours to spend in Denver with teenagers (so no breweries). Any ideas on where to stay and things we have to see?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

duff wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:13 pm We are taking a cross country trip this summer and will be in Denver for overnight and 6 hours to spend in Denver with teenagers (so no breweries). Any ideas on where to stay and things we have to see?
I am hoping to drive to Denver on Friday for the Cubs-Rockies game. I'll probably arrive a few hours before the game but have to take off right after. Should I just drive to the stadium parking and then head into downtown from there to pass the time, or is there a better option?

(I'll be traveling with my 22yo son, so breweries are a great option.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Stadium parking is the edge of RiNo district... plenty of options there. Denver Central Market, Ratio, Odell, Our Mutual Friend, etc
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

duff wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:13 pm We are taking a cross country trip this summer and will be in Denver for overnight and 6 hours to spend in Denver with teenagers (so no breweries). Any ideas on where to stay and things we have to see?
I had some great pizza and ice cream at Sweet Cow Ice Cream in Louisville. Very family friendly and with some good brews on tap.

One of my favorite restaurants in the country is Steuben's, which offers great takes on regional American food. Food is delicious, good service and good beers and cocktails.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Meow Wolf is open and is all the rage as well. Prob need tickets.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You need tix and it's not cheap.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Meow Wolf in Vegas was pretty trippy.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

If the teenagers are into music I would go out to Red Rocks...if there isn't a show you can go into the amphitheater for free and mix in a hike in the park or nearby. There is a museum/hall of fame there as well. On the other side of interstate 70 from Red Rocks is Lookout Mountain which has some trails that provide good views of the city (if it's not hazy which it usually is nowadays). Lookout Mountain is right above Golden so if you want a "cute" town to peruse Golden is a good place to do that.

As far as where to stay I'm always a fan of staying downtown; if you do stay closer towards Union Station/Lower Downtown as that is where all of the restaurants, etc. are. If you are looking for specific hotel suggestions some non-chain ones to take a look at are The Oxford, The Maven or The Rally...they are in great locations although probably won't be cheap. If you don't want to stay downtown I would stay out towards Lakewood or Golden (somewhere off of 70).
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:58 am
I am hoping to drive to Denver on Friday for the Cubs-Rockies game. I'll probably arrive a few hours before the game but have to take off right after. Should I just drive to the stadium parking and then head into downtown from there to pass the time, or is there a better option?

(I'll be traveling with my 22yo son, so breweries are a great option.)
I second what PDXs said (Ratio is one my favorite breweries)...the whole area around there has no shortage of options. It's a bit of walk (half mile or so) to the ballpark but it's a fun area. If you want something closer there is a new brewery a block from the ballpark called Smash Face. Denver Milk Market and McGregor Square are cool places with multiple food options (Milk Market has a great beer bar) but will be busier pre-game than RiNo. I also cannot recommend a place called Number 38 enough...it's at the northern edge of RiNo so I wouldn't recommend walking it but the beer list stacked with some of the best local breweries; food is good and their space/facility is great. If it's a nice day out their outdoor space is hard to top.
What am I, 12?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Bonus of No. 38 is that you can look at my art while you whiz.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:04 pm Bonus of No. 38 is that you can look at my art while you whiz.
That sounds like a hell of a bonus.

Is there anywhere to park near Number Thirty Eight on a Friday afternoon?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:27 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:04 pm Bonus of No. 38 is that you can look at my art while you whiz.

I think getting caught snapping a picture of it and then telling a rando you're taking a pic of your friend's piece of work would be great.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:01 pm Meow Wolf in Vegas was pretty trippy.
My wife and daughter visited the one in Santa Fe over the Christmas holidays. Raved about it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

It's in a part of town that's still somewhat industrial / being developed so street parking isn't difficult.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Can confirm. Was going to mention that but wasn't sure if the display was still up...last time I was there was December.

That's the downside to Number 38...parking is limited and there is construction going on immediately to the south that has taken away some street parking. If you get there early enough, however there should be street parking across from Ironton Distillery (which is another decent place - their spirits are so-so on their own but their drinks are good and outdoor space is nice) along Chestnut; there are also a few spots along 36th.
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

* Bookmarking for next rip out there. *
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Those damn scooter things are all over there though, so that's an option.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:56 pm
It's in a part of town that's still somewhat industrial / being developed so street parking isn't difficult.
Scratch this not only for what GK said but also the gameday situ would likely make it more difficult (depending on how early you can get there).
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Hey Colorado Brethren:

Any ideas for a cheap one day ski option? I can research if they're still open, but I'm headed out that way for an extended period of time starting tomorrow. Bringing my ski gear just in case.

Packing up The Girl's apartment as she's now semi-permanently back home. But it means we have a base near DU and we're going to use it to make trips while teleworking and stuff. Shit, we figure, we paying on a lease that is cost prohibitive to break, so we're just going to say eff it and hit places like Mt. Rushmore and Steamboat Springs and stuff like that.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Eldora or Loveland is probably your best bet for 'cheap', but Arapahoe Basin is gonna have the best snow this late in the season.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Ditto what Rush and PDX said. Adding that Winter Park is still open and their conditions are still decent. Nothing will be "cheap" so it's a question of how much you want to pay and how far you want to go.
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I doubt I’ll ever ski again at those prices.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Yep. It's either get a season pass or don't ski at all :(
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thanks fellas, duly noted.

Eying a shot out to Winter Park. We got a good chart of when the various places close up shop. Will work off of that an dsee what works.

=-=-=-=-=

Met The Boy for lunch today at Happy Camper and a nice meal. Shot over to a place called Briar Commons for some more beer... Had one of the better IPAs I've had in many years -- Hoptamism. Bright, clean, not overly hopped.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm putting this here, even though the advice came in another thread...

Got back from Steamboat Springs on Tuesday after a nice weekend.

Can confirm, Carl's and Mountain Tap were f'ing great.

I also can now put my stamp of approval on Salt & Lime, which is on Rt. 40/Lincoln Ave(?) which is essentially Main Street. Great food, solid margs.

Really enjoyed exploring the trail in/out of town around the Yampa River and Fish Kill Falls was money... saw a moose. At this time of year, the trail was still snow-packed, but we were able to scramble around easily. Rabbit Ears was a cool drive and got to see a bunch of folks snowmobiling.

Drove down to Kremerling and over to Yampa and back up to the Springs for a really beautiful loop.

This state is incredible, really.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Glad you enjoyed FKF. My wife's ex-sort of best friend (we used to hang by family, they went full Trump, they talk I guess) lives in Kremmling. Loved to go up and get some country air..and now that's out of the question.

I absolutely love living in Colorado, but I still pine for New England (aside from late January and February) glad we're tending to go back every Summer for an extended visit, though my dick ass of dean may want me to go back to being on campus 100% of the time which will put the kibosh on that.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

If you swing to Colorado Springs don't miss Garden of the Gods and the Manitou Incline (reservations required to hike them). The Incline is one of those places Olympic athletes measure their fitness by timing the ascent.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:58 am If you swing to Colorado Springs don't miss Garden of the Gods and the Manitou Incline (reservations required to hike them). The Incline is one of those places Olympic athletes measure their fitness by timing the ascent.
Been to the GotG multiple times... Very cool.

Not a big fan of the overall vibe of The Springs, to be honest.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:42 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:58 am If you swing to Colorado Springs don't miss Garden of the Gods and the Manitou Incline (reservations required to hike them). The Incline is one of those places Olympic athletes measure their fitness by timing the ascent.
Been to the GotG multiple times... Very cool.

Not a big fan of the overall vibe of The Springs, to be honest.
Purple states have reds and blues (Like Manchester and Liverpool)
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

https://www.slice420.com/
Really liked this place
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Don't sleep on TRVE Brewing either \m/

eta: in Denver, not the 'sprangs
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Someone on here (I think Rush) suggested that and we went there the very first trip out here. It' probably on the front page of this thread.

I haven't re-visited many places out here, but that's on the list.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Currently resting at our VRBO in Moab. Spent 2 days in Torrey outside of Capitol Reef NP. That place was incredible... We stayed at the Capitol Reef Resort and had our own cabin. (splurged a bit.) Had a great burger at Capitol Burger, which is a food truck.. Just awesome food.

Scooted over to Bryce for a day and that was jaw droppingly beautiful. Just did a day at Arches and we are VERY tuckered out. Sunrise hike up to see Delicate Arch and then another couple of miles hiking around Devil's Garden.

We're going to do another sunrise tomorrow and then head out to Canyonlands.

This has been a trip full of bucket list items I didn't know existed (for the most part) before we arrived. Just stunningly beautiful.

Oh, shit, almost forgot, on our way out of Capitol Reef on our way to Moab we stopped at Goblin Valley SP... Holy Shit! was that cool. The rock formations (hoodoos) really do look like goblins and mushrooms, but are also quite tall in places. Having been to the world's mostly dense concentration of hoodoos at Bryce... These were just... different. And also, at Bryce, to walk among the rocks you have to hike a pretty gnarly down and up trail, which we really don't like.

At Goblin Valley, they just let you wander around them. Pretty amazing.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Did you take Highway 12 from Torrey over to Bryce?

One of the most scenic drives in the country.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:40 pm Did you take Highway 12 from Torrey over to Bryce?

One of the most scenic drives in the country.
Uh... FUCKING YES. We went a totally chill, very Utah ranch country way into Bryce when we left Torrey early in the morning. I was barely awake it was so chill, what with the 3-5 mile stretches of never having to turn the wheel and whatnot.

We were like, let's go back this other way, even though it's longer. It says right there, American Scenic Byway on it. (You can tell where this is going, we did zero research on the drive.)

So, yeah, I'm cruising along, loving the scenery. A few kind of nail biting type moments, but nothing out of the ordinary out here.

Then I get to fucking Hogback and I almost had a mini-panic attack.

For those that don't know, while you've probably been on plenty of mountain roads that have steep dropoffs on one side, this stretch of highway is a narrow two lane road with multiple thousand foot drops on BOTH sides. No guardrails and very little margin for error on either side. I came up on the last blind upslope and literally almost came to a complete stop I was so out of sorts.

I want to go back and do it again, because in the moment it was cool, but I was also very much ready for it to be over. Knowing it is coming and knowing how long it is gonna be would be major bits of calming information.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Which part of Canyonlands are you heading to?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You know, great question. We have been following a couple of YouTube vloggers and they have given us great advice. I really hadn't focused much on Canyonlands and was going to spend some time tonight watching and taking notes.

We are in OK shape, but my wife has some issues related to a couple of discectomies, so I like to hike one day and then do more of a drive day the next, so... Tomorrow I'm looking for the scenic drives and overlooks. Bryce was PERFECT for that.

Open to any suggestions!