Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by rass »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:36 pm watched the first two eps of the flight attendant last night. it's trippy ... and really good so far.
We started that a couple of weeks ago. Life has intervened and prevented us from finishing season 1 and starting season 2 in real time, but we really like it.

And I never really got the Kaley Cuoco fuss during the BBT years, but man does she look great on The Flight Attendant. Especially that one night in Bangkok they keep returning to, they just made her look pretty much perfect.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:35 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:36 pm watched the first two eps of the flight attendant last night. it's trippy ... and really good so far.

And I never really got the Kaley Cuoco fuss during the BBT years,
Thank you! She certainly isn't unattractive, but zero sex appeal. I'll have to give Flight Attendant a look, just hearing too many good things, and it seems like the type of show I'd get into. Just need to finish Ozark before I hear any spoilers.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

but zero sex appeal.
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I'm with tb on this one. Kaley Cuoco is a national treasure. I'm not a fan of that sitcom, but she's adorable.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:35 pm
We started that a couple of weeks ago. Life has intervened and prevented us from finishing season 1 and starting season 2 in real time, but we really like it.

And I never really got the Kaley Cuoco fuss during the BBT years, but man does she look great on The Flight Attendant. Especially that one night in Bangkok they keep returning to, they just made her look pretty much perfect.
we watched 3 and 4 last night and I'm all-in. it's bizarre and well-done. it's not my typical type of show but it's been enjoyable. I'm interested to see what they do with Rosie Perez's character
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We watched this when it was out for S1. I really enjoyed it, my wife was having issues because she read the book and certain plot points bugged her. She's fine reading a book and then a show/movie, in general, but something about what they did with the show didn't sit right with her.

So... Long-winded way of saying we haven't started S2 yet.

(We are binging Yellowstone and S3 of Ozark, which doesn't leave a lot of room on the docket, to be fair.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:09 pm
but zero sex appeal.
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK
I knew I'd get this response. She is objectively pretty and I'll give Nonlinear his adorable claim, especially when I've seen her in interviews or heard her on podcasts. She seems like a really cool girl, just not sexy to me in the least. Reminds me of Gwyneth Paltrow in her prime. I got why some guys went nuts over her, but just didn't do anything for me. (I recently saw Gwyneth in The Politician, and she looked really hot in that show. Even my wife made a comment).

ETA: went back to look at pics of Kaley Cuoco, in most of them, I don't even think she is that pretty. It's like she has the general look of a pretty blond, but she isn't that pretty.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'd put her in the Maura Tierney Ring of Fame... She's not spectacularly beautiful, but there's something about her on-screen presence/persona that makes her very attractive.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:37 am
but zero sex appeal.
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK
I knew I'd get this response. She is objectively pretty and I'll give Nonlinear his adorable claim, especially when I've seen her in interviews or heard her on podcasts. She seems like a really cool girl, just not sexy to me in the least. Reminds me of Gwyneth Paltrow in her prime. I got why some guys went nuts over her, but just didn't do anything for me. (I recently saw Gwyneth in The Politician, and she looked really hot in that show. Even my wife made a comment).

ETA: went back to look at pics of Kaley Cuoco, in most of them, I don't even think she is that pretty. It's like she has the general look of a pretty blond, but she isn't that pretty.
So she's in the opposite side of the Ellen Barkin coin for you, i.e. not classically beautiful but sexy AF. Thinking Sea of Love era Ellen Barkin.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:37 am
but zero sex appeal.
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

now you just typing gibberish. Seek help.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Gwyneth Paltrow always has that dude in drag vibe to her. Pass.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Agree on Paltrow. She doesn't bother me, but she doesn't do anything for me either.

Ellen Barkin provides, by far/bar none, the most confusing boner in the history of the entertainment industry. She's bafflingly hot.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I've certainly sent messages on Compuserve to my brothers about Ellen Barkin.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:27 pm Gwyneth Paltrow always has that dude in drag vibe to her. Pass.
Shakespeare in Love really sticks with you.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:54 am I'd put her in the Maura Tierney Ring of Fame... She's not spectacularly beautiful, but there's something about her on-screen presence/persona that makes her very attractive.
I don't think I've seen Kaley in anything other than the two or three times I tried to watch BBT. The publicity pictures of Kaley from The Flight Attendant leave me open to changing my mind, and I trust Rass' judgment. Maura Tierney, OTOH, I had a big crush on. She was cute in a girl next door way. Not at all Hollywood glamorous, but super cute and just had a very datable look about her.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

IMO Melanie Lynskey (Rose on Two & a Half Men) possesses that quintessential girl next door vibe.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

“The Man Show does not age well.”

ETA - holy shit the dogs!

(Barry)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm in a personal golden age on my DVR - Better Call Saul, Atlanta, Barry with Winning Time and The Man Who Fell To Earth as pretty great newcomers.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Giff wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:02 pm I'm in a personal golden age on my DVR - Better Call Saul, Atlanta, Barry with Winning Time and The Man Who Fell To Earth as pretty great newcomers.
When I read this the first thought was is DVR now an outdated concept? Still superior for fast forwarding through commercials but I am watching most of those via streaming.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:56 pm
Giff wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:02 pm I'm in a personal golden age on my DVR - Better Call Saul, Atlanta, Barry with Winning Time and The Man Who Fell To Earth as pretty great newcomers.
When I read this the first thought was is DVR now an outdated concept? Still superior for fast forwarding through commercials but I am watching most of those via streaming.
I need to drop my cable. I only use DVR for Arsenal games, and if I dropped cable I'd pay for Peacock and get 3 times as many Arsenal games.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Now that I'm home after two weeks away (and a couple more subsequent days with my mother, who was house-sitting for us), I can now finally sit down and binge/catch-up on Better Call Saul. Looking forward to it. (I've been diligently avoiding the BCS thread).

I don't have HBO, so I've been envious of you guys who've been talking up The Righteous Gemstones. But, thanks to a 10-hour flight home and the show being available for viewing on Virgin Atlantic, I have now watched all 9 episodes of the first season. Loved it!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:34 pm
Now that I'm home after two weeks away (and a couple more subsequent days with my mother, who was house-sitting for us), I can now finally sit down and binge/catch-up on Better Call Saul. Looking forward to it. (I've been diligently avoiding the BCS thread).

I don't have HBO, so I've been envious of you guys who've been talking up The Righteous Gemstones. But, thanks to a 10-hour flight home and the show being available for viewing on Virgin Atlantic, I have now watched all 9 episodes of the first season. Loved it!
That's a lot of penis in a public environment!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:39 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:34 pm

That's a lot of penis in a public environment!
True. But, for comparison, I followed it up with the documentary on Woodstock 1999. (Meh). That included an uncomfortably large number of bare breasts for consumption by people walking past my aisle seat.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The good news is that the majority of the penis on display are very small, so...

Now, if you tune into Minx... YIKES.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

rass wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:34 am “The Man Show does not age well.”

ETA - holy shit the dogs!

(Barry)
Fantastic first couple of episodes.
[+] spoiler
It seems that Barry has snapped. Which (I think) will be a story line in relation to it making him a better actor.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:31 am Outer Range (Amazon Prime) 2 episodes in.....T.B.D. Good cast but Amazon loves the weird sci fi stuff...and just not sure it will be worth the time. Worried the pitch for this was Yellowstone but crossed with Lost but crossed with Tales From the Loop and Electric Dreams
P.D.X. wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:44 am Thought Outer Range has some promise. Curious to see if they can hold it together in a coherent storyline rather than just being weird for the sake of it. Slower burn and more artsy than Yellowstone for sure.
We've been watching this tonight. What are your thoughts?

It's OK. Not good (e5 of 8 at this point). This is a long slow burn and I'm not seeing any evidence at all this won't fizzle at the end.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

On ep 7. I'm committed!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Under the Banner of Heaven started a bit slowly, but definitely picked up steam in this episode.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I am having trouble with the pace of that show. I also have a hard time with the acting or mannerisms of the large family. It's all so incredibly manic and over the top and weird. I gather that's the point, but that first large dinner scene was just difficult for me to get a handle on what they're trying to convey with all the weird dynamics going on. A bit much, frankly.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Maybe things will change as the series continues, but I'm surprised how much different it is from the book, so far.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I will say I was pleasantly surprised to see the Yellowstone cross-over with the detective's partner. That guy has some gravitas or something compelling.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I can’t believe that show had me rooting for the lakers in a dramatic reenactment of a game that happened over 40 years ago.

And Barry is continuing its strong start.
[+] spoiler
Hugh Manity
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So Disney+ has the Muppet Show five year run.

Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I just have to see the still and now that is in my head. Thanks, ER!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:03 pm I just have to see the still and now that is in my head. Thanks, ER!
De-Doooo-de-doo-doo
Do-doo-doo-doo

You're welcome!
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Gunna have to watch this:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We watched the trailer last night and I am so pumped for it. He’s my all-time favorite stand up and somehow my wife has never seen any of his stuff, so I’m excited about her discovering him.