The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Also I just learned today that Chris Pine's dad is
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Watched 'Licorice PIzza' on the flight to Italy.

Man....I really did not like that movie. Why would the cool 25 year old woman hang out with the dorky 15 year old? Made no sense.
[+] spoiler
That said...the cameos by Bradley Cooper and Sean Penn were fantastic. I'd see another movie with just those two characters.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I haven't seen two movies at the theatre in one day since the days where we could sneak into one immediately after the other one ended, so like 15 years ago maybe? Just bought a ticket for Everything Everywhere All at Once (wife has zero interest in this) this afternoon and then we're going to go see Dual at the Drafthouse tonight. Both look trippy.

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I really want to see Everything Everywhere All at Once.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I feel like that might be a good response if someone asked you how your first trip to the bathroom went.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ha. If we're gonna be literal.

"Morbius" sounds like a better choice figuratively speaking.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:18 am I haven't seen two movies at the theatre in one day since the days where we could sneak into one immediately after the other one ended, so like 15 years ago maybe? Just bought a ticket for Everything Everywhere All at Once (wife has zero interest in this) this afternoon and then we're going to go see Dual at the Drafthouse tonight. Both look trippy.

Both of those trailers are super intriguing.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

OK, believe the hype on Everything Everywhere All at Once. It was brilliant and I loved every single second of it. I brought myself to tears explaining a couple of scenes to my wife they were so damn funny.

Dual was also really good, but we were unfamiliar with the filmmaker and didn't realize until maybe 20 minutes in that it was supposed to be bad. Up until that point it we thought we were laughing in spite of it, not because we were supposed to be. If that makes sense. Now I'm really looking forward to watching The Art of Self-Defense done by the same person.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Feel like F9 finally lost the balance between dumb and fun and instead of dumb fun ended up stupid and too infrequently fun.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

About to take the recommendation and see Everything.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I went in knowing almost completely nothing about the Everything movie. What a strange film. Probably brilliant. I think I liked it? not sure.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent was incredible for Nic Cage completists or anyone who likes a great action comedy.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Ryan wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:42 pm Turning Red was weirdly mediocre
Yeah, have to agree.

Okay as a kids' movie, but
[+] spoiler
Considering that it involved Chinese mythology, a family curse, puberty, mother/daughter relationships, it was pretty shallow
But it made Toronto proud! The renderings of Chinatown and Kensington Market were so accurate that my daughter asked where the Temple is in real life.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Encanto is - and this is a trite word to use - a delight.

Loved it from start to finish. The best of what family animation can be, packed full of life, amazing palette and a good story that resonates on a number of levels. (Meaning kids and old farts can get something from it.)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:13 pm I went in knowing almost completely nothing about the Everything movie. What a strange film. Probably brilliant. I think I liked it? not sure.
Same, except I'm pretty sure I liked it. Thought the acting was great, and what great choices for casting.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:18 pm
tennbengal wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:13 pm I went in knowing almost completely nothing about the Everything movie. What a strange film. Probably brilliant. I think I liked it? not sure.
Same, except I'm pretty sure I liked it. Thought the acting was great, and what great choices for casting.
it was just so different. I think it made me uncomfortable in part because of its deep rumination on the choices you make in life leading you to a certain older middle aged point. Hit too close to home.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:43 am
govmentchedda wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:18 pm
it was just so different. I think it made me uncomfortable in part because of its deep rumination on the choices you make in life leading you to a certain older middle aged point. Hit too close to home.
I hear you about the life choices. What a genius idea to cast 3 of the 4 Asian leads from iconic movies from the Western market. Regarding it feeling different, I couldn't shake how much it felt like the Boots Riley movie from a few years back with LaKeith Stanfield.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That’s a great comp.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Watched the new Dr Strange.
[+] spoiler
I was terribly unimpressed. And this fucking shit where you have to watch all the movies, all the tv shows, read one specific comic form 1987, give your firstborn's blood to Kevin Feige is getting old. Not saying you couldn't at least enjoy it without all that but I am saying that it ain't worth the time anymore.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This Is Spinal Tap sequel to come out in 2024 for 40th anniversary of the film.

Trying to not get my hopes up too much because this will likely either be incredible or really suck.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The only time I ever watched it I didn't realize what I was watching. I've never revisited it which is strange because I love most of the rest of those movies.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I watched all the Christopher Guest movies in a run around a dozen years ago. Spinal Tap obviously deserves praise for popularizing mockumentaries, although I think Best in Show and A Mighty Wind were where he perfected his voice.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

For my money A Mighty Wind is the best of all of them
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:23 pm The only time I ever watched it I didn't realize what I was watching. I've never revisited it which is strange because I love most of the rest of those movies.
I was probably in middle school when I saw it. I knew I was missing a lot of the jokes at the time. Always planned on watching it again. One of these days...
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:18 pm
Giff wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:23 pm The only time I ever watched it I didn't realize what I was watching. I've never revisited it which is strange because I love most of the rest of those movies.
I was probably in middle school when I saw it. I knew I was missing a lot of the jokes at the time. Always planned on watching it again. One of these days...
I think I was elementary and I was expecting more Blazing Saddles.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

brian wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:48 am This Is Spinal Tap sequel to come out in 2024 for 40th anniversary of the film.

Trying to not get my hopes up too much because this will likely either be incredible or really suck.
I seem to recall them "reuniting" like 20 years ago and it sucked really badly.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I don't have high hopes for more tales from Spinal Tap.

Depends on the day, but I rotate between Best in Show, A Mighty Wind and Waiting for Guffman as Guest's best work.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:48 pm I don't have high hopes for more tales from Spinal Tap.

Depends on the day, but I rotate between Best in Show, A Mighty Wind and Waiting for Guffman as Guest's best work.
They are all so good, why choose favorites?
-Pruitt
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Waiting for Guffman was also pretty good. But, Spinal Tap is my favorite of the Christopher Guest oevre.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Watching Empire Falls (Richard Russo novel) tonight with my wife (HBO Max).

Great book. This mini-series was good (though the adaptation of Nobody's Fool was better).
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I was in college, and I swear that as we were leaving the theater we heard someone say "Why didn't they make a movie about a good band like Van Halen?"

I saw Spinal Tap play live once...it was pretty amusing. Thing that stood out the most was when 'Nigel' was doing the crazy ass guitar pyrotechnics solo, they had a video (pre-recorded, of course) of 'David' and 'Derek' back stage getting mani-pedi's.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:48 pm I don't have high hopes for more tales from Spinal Tap.

Best in Show is my favorite. But all of them are good.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:45 pm

Best in Show is my favorite. But all of them are good.
Best in Show is my favorite as well. Somehow I think I've never seen A Mighty Wind or Waiting for Guffman though. Shameful.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Watched Nobody last night with my boys. It was every bit as good and fun as I thought it would be. Bob Odenkirk is so great.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:30 am Watched the new Dr Strange.
[+] spoiler
I was terribly unimpressed. And this fucking shit where you have to watch all the movies, all the tv shows, read one specific comic form 1987, give your firstborn's blood to Kevin Feige is getting old. Not saying you couldn't at least enjoy it without all that but I am saying that it ain't worth the time anymore.
I enjoyed it.

It definitely assumed the viewer had seen
[+] spoiler
WandaVision. And of course the first Dr Strange. Some of this is inevitable when making sequels, but I guess the whole Illuminati thing wouldn't make sense to someone with no knowledge of Marvel comics. But this all seems to be what the people want? I do wonder how much longer this is sustainable.

I was just happy I did a good job avoiding spoilers since I had no idea Wanda was going to be the villain. Maybe duh in retrospect. I knew she had the "bad magic book" at the end of the show but just didn't think this was where that was heading.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:51 pm Watched Nobody last night with my boys. It was every bit as good and fun as I thought it would be. Bob Odenkirk is so great.
Yeah I watched that several weeks ago. Echo Odenkirk's performance, too.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Since it's another gray/rainy Seattle 3 day weekend...we went to see Top Gun:Maverick last night (our first time back in a movie theater since before Covid). Generally enjoyed it, but there sure were a lot of Star Wars vibes to the 'mission'.
[+] spoiler
Fly down this heavily defended trench! Hit this very small target! Oh no, the targeting computer is malfunctioning! Don't think, just do! The rogue pilot showing up at the last minute to save the day...ala Han Solo. I was surprised they didn't say 'Use The Force'.
Other nitpicks:
[+] spoiler
I laughed at the weapons officer who's callsign was 'Bob'...but I'm pretty sure that Navy flyers can't wear glasses.

How freakin' rich is Jennifer Connelly's character supposed to be? She owns a bar, frequented by Navy folks...and she has a house on the beach in San Diego, owns a brand new J-125 sailboat, and drives a vintage Porsche?

What country do we think the 'bad guys' were?
At least Tom Cruise had an age appropriate love interest (he's 59, Connelly is 50).

And about the sailing scene...
[+] spoiler
Ohh boy....first off, they filmed that in San Francisco, not San Diego (the boat they used is based in SF).

And then she tells him to ease the backstay to depower the sails...right idea, but then he pulls on a sheet. You don't ease by pulling on a line.

And popping the kite with only two people? Do-able, but probably not when one of the people has never been sailing before.

(Do Navy pilots...especially Academy grads...really know nothing about sailing?)
But, despite all that....still a fun movie. And totally worth it to see on the big screen. And Jon Hamm needs to be in more movies.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I watched new Thro last night. I loved it.
[+] spoiler
People are complaining it doesn't tie into the overall MCU well, to which I say THANK SWEET BABY RAY!
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

/sproile