Life changes

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Life changes

Post by sancarlos »

I’m imagining Bob bringing a crowd of Swampers with him into the meeting with the big boss…

“Oh, these guys? They’re my advisory team.”
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

So the meeting went well. I pulled no punches and was very clear with my frustrations. He scheduled 30 minutes but we ended up talking for almost two hours. He was really receptive to my complaints/observations, and didn’t even try to convince me to stay in my current role. Made the point that I’ve proven I can do it to a high level and have ticked the necessary box. Then did offer me a three year expat contact and to move to France. Even let me pick location, so we are moving to Grenoble. Got the formal position offer from him last night. Obviously a whole lot to work out, and this won’t happen immediately, but everyone understands it has to be an expedited process. Wife is so excited she could barely sleep.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

So this has turned into a lot bigger life change than anticipated when I started the thread.

It’s not public yet, and we have to figure out how message is conveyed, so please no Twitter comments.

I also have to tell other company, but I’m confident they will understand. It’s the one thing they can’t offer me.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Congrats, this took an interesting turn. I’m really hoping you let us live vicariously and post a lot of pics and stories.

ETA: the move probably won’t help your Bourbon scarcity issues.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think we're all ignoring the elephant in the room, which is nonlinear's expressed desire to take bob's job, run off to France, and then sleep with bob's wife...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Congrats! When you run alongside the Tour de France riders, will you be wearing a devil costume or the Borat swimsuit?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Congrats, Pentagonz!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Hell yeah
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Congrats, Bobby P. Or as they would say in your future home, toutes nos félicitations!
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

And, I think Grenoble is like the Jackson Hole of France. You’re going back to Wyoming! (With better food and fewer rednecks).
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

There are rednecks everywhere!

Congrats 'Gonz, here's your bourbon source get it preordered for delivery upon arrival!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Andre the Giant is from Grenoble! Oh, congratulations.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:52 am I think we're all ignoring the elephant in the room, which is nonlinear's expressed desire to take bob's job, run off to France, and then sleep with bob's wife...
Let me have my dreams, man.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Ryan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:48 am Andre the Giant is from Grenoble! Oh, congratulations.
I think my French teacher in HS was there for a semester as well. I seem to remember her saying she was there either the semester before or the semester after they held the Winter Olympics.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

hells yes, bobp. so happy for you and the missus.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh snap! Was not expecting to read this when I opened the thread. It's good to know that companies on the outside take care of you like this. I'm very excited for you! Congrats!!

Europe is amazing and I wish I could've stayed longer.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Man, what a ride. And what an amazing life opportunity. You totally deserve it!
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Echo what others have said here. Also, the firm you're turning down had to know this was in the cards. I mean, yeah, offer letters get used to spin larger salaries at the old job, but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity that the spurned organization can only shrug and say, "NGL, I'd have done the same thing..."
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

What a great opportunity for you. Congratulations! Grenoble is a great city from what I hear(there's a synchrotron facility there: https://www.esrf.fr/ and I've known people who work there).

My year abroad in Australia was under different circumstances (It was the only job I could find at the time, and it was only for a year) but it was one of the best things I've ever done. It was an amazing experience, and I look back and kinda can't believe it happened.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Policier Pentagonez* has a nice ring to it… congrats!

*google translator
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Good for you Robear Cinqagonz!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Mazel tov BP!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Quick update-

Things are now moving very quickly. It has taken weeeeeeeeeeks for some key things to happen, but I now have a definitive contract. 3yr gig with the possibility to extend. Visa applications go next week. We’ve actually already sold our house here, with the closing date 8/19. (Full list offer with no contingency, no appraisal, and they pay closing costs. List offer was 30% above what we bought it for. Nuuuuuts)

Our first official house hunting visit will be 8/13 - 8/20. This will also be the wife’s first time in France. We are incredibly excited. Expected relo date is mid September.

I can’t say I’ve enjoyed the last two months. It’s really hard to get up and go into a job each day that you quit months ago. Some of this has been terribly frustrating at how slow it has moved as we wait approvals. That said, while they have had lots of euro expats come over here, I’m the first to go the other way. All of that said, it finally feels real.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good stuff, Bob!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Tres bien, mon ami!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You hiring?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:31 pmYou hiring?
A) would be moving from American South?
B) works in old-line industry?
C) affiliated with something called the Swamp?

Ding! Ding Ding!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Fantastic Bob!

Our neighbours are building their retirement home some 90 minutes south of Paris. I'm jealous of both y'all.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

That sounds amazing!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Square Rob wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:40 pm ...I’m the first to go the other way...
Aw yeah you are.

Good luck man, this sounds amazing.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Okay, holy shit. This thread is the best thing I’ve read in a long while
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:03 pm Okay, holy shit. This thread is the best thing I’ve read in a long while
And way overdue for some updates!

ETA: never mind, just saw the updates in the moving thread.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

After yesterday, it's time for us to finally make a decision one way or another. We don't want the oldest to start high school in a new place, so we've given ourselves a deadline of summer of '24. We most likely will have to take my MIL into consideration so that narrows it to Illinois and Michigan due to family/family friends. If that wasn't the case, we'd expand the search to Colorado and New Mexico with the latter being my overall #1 choice.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Giff wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:55 am After yesterday, it's time for us to finally make a decision one way or another. We don't want the oldest to start high school in a new place, so we've given ourselves a deadline of summer of '24. We most likely will have to take my MIL into consideration so that narrows it to Illinois and Michigan due to family/family friends. If that wasn't the case, we'd expand the search to Colorado and New Mexico with the latter being my overall #1 choice.
Split the difference and join me in northern Indiana! More bang for you buck and slightly less repressive than TX.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

duff wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:31 am
Giff wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:55 am After yesterday, it's time for us to finally make a decision one way or another. We don't want the oldest to start high school in a new place, so we've given ourselves a deadline of summer of '24. We most likely will have to take my MIL into consideration so that narrows it to Illinois and Michigan due to family/family friends. If that wasn't the case, we'd expand the search to Colorado and New Mexico with the latter being my overall #1 choice.
Split the difference and join me in northern Indiana! More bang for you buck and slightly less repressive than TX.
It's imperative we are close to family/friends if the MIL is involved. She'll most likely be following us wherever we go and we cannot handle her without her having other people to spend time with. That may also play a role in our ultimate decision to stay as well. We're not staying in Texas after the girls graduate high school anyway so maybe we risk another 10 years here before moving wherever the hell we want.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:35 am
duff wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:31 am
It's imperative we are close to family/friends if the MIL is involved. She'll most likely be following us wherever we go and we cannot handle her without her having other people to spend time with. That may also play a role in our ultimate decision to stay as well. We're not staying in Texas after the girls graduate high school anyway so maybe we risk another 10 years here before moving wherever the hell we want.
How is Texas going to turn blue if you leave?
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I don't think our two votes are going to matter.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[waiting on Ryan to nail this setup]
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:55 am We most likely will have to take my MIL into consideration so ...
The parents factor will most likely delay any move for us, even after I get my Canadian passport. My father is 87, my mother is 83 and it is going to be up to me to step in when needed, because my brother probably won't be much help.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

The fast and slow process of moving abroad just sped up significantly. Finally got our visa’s yesterday. Move ~19th, just in time for Christmas. Would have been significantly quicker if I worked for an efficient company, but nonetheless, it’s finally happening!