Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Television (no longer temporary)

Post by L-Jam3 »

Didn't see it, so I'll start a temp one here.

Did anyone else see the complete moprons on The Amazing Race? It made the kids on Jeopardy last month who all ended up with zero look like Kasparov in comparison.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Test Ride the Sybian
Jackie Treehorn

Re: Temporary Television

Post by Test Ride the Sybian »

ljam1.5 wrote:Didn't see it, so I'll start a temp one here.

Did anyone else see the complete moprons on The Amazing Race? It made the kids on Jeopardy last month who all ended up with zero look like Kasparov in comparison.
That is one reality show I probably would like, but never watched.
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by temporassy »

howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

"…and, you ground into a World Series ending double play"
Inanimate Carbon Rod
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Inanimate Carbon Rod »

ljam1.5 wrote:Didn't see it, so I'll start a temp one here.

Ridiculous. It looked to me life the girlfriend was biting her tongue on not calling out ratface for not using the FF. Dumbest move ever on a show filled with dumb moves.
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by temporassy »

"Too big to nail"

Aubrey Plaza: Hotter when threatening to stab herself in the neck or when singing "Time After Time" into an eraser? It has taken a while, and it might be a moot point next season as her show is probably going to outlast the others, but I think she has beaten out Jenna Fischer and the Community girls (and Rashida Jones I guess) as the queen of NBC Thursday comedies (for me).
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

howard test2 wrote:i am relentless in my avoidance of work this afternoon

Next Episode Of 'Girls' To Feature Lena Dunham Shitting Herself During Gyno Exam While Eating A Burrito
2 things: First, the show is losing me. It was funny. It was awkward. Now it is just sad. The only thing that kept me remotely interested last week was Marnie's insane hotness and the short clip of awkwardness that was her singing a Kanye West song.

Secondly, watching the scene between creepy guy and his new girlfriend was awful. I don't need to watch rape. They took it right to the edge of rape and then made it pretty fucking clear that the female was not a willing participant to what was happening. It was unsettling to watch. Not what I signed up for.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I have an audition for Jeopardy in LA on May 9. I almost crapped my pants when I got the e-mail. Turd, I might be hitting you up for some pointers here very shortly.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:I have an audition for Jeopardy in LA on May 9. I almost crapped my pants when I got the e-mail. Turd, I might be hitting you up for some pointers here very shortly.

DTW!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Don't you have to be able to retain a fuck-ton of useless knowledge?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:Don't you have to be able to retain a fuck-ton of useless knowledge?
That's generally the idea, yeah. Unfortunately, there are very few opportunities to make money because of that skill.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Jerloma wrote:Don't you have to be able to retain a fuck-ton of useless knowledge?
It won't be useless if he wins.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

First adult beverage to wash away your failure is on me.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:First adult beverage to wash away your failure is on me.
Thanks. I think.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:
Thanks. I think.
It seemed like a better offer than getting you tanked the night before to ruin your brain.

Seriously though, does this mean two trips out this way in a couple weeks' time (you still thinking about DET-LAA thirdt weekend in April)?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
brian wrote:
Thanks. I think.
It seemed like a better offer than getting you tanked the night before to ruin your brain.

Seriously though, does this mean two trips out this way in a couple weeks' time (you still thinking about DET-LAA thirdt weekend in April)?
DET-LAA is unfortunately probably scrubbed now. It wasn't looking good to begin with since I'm going to PHX the weekend before for a half marathon and Lucero concert. But I had already planning a trip to LA in June so that's still probably on.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Is S1 of Game of Throne available anywhere on the easy? Just checked HBO on demand, and they start with S2-01. What's up with that? Kind of useless, no?
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

ZMan wrote:Is S1 of Game of Throne available anywhere on the easy? Just checked HBO on demand, and they start with S2-01. What's up with that? Kind of useless, no?
If you're gonna download one, do that one. They don't seem to care that people download them. They're hip to these young 'uns these days.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Not that many here would/should care, but NBC made it official today that Leno will hand over the Tonight Show to Fallon next year.

My mom forwarded the story to me with the note "What? He's not even funny!" My response: "Which one?"
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I've come around on Fallon a bit. I still won't forget how he nearly ruined every SNL skit he's ever been in by breaking character, but the History of Rap stuff he did with JT is awesome. As is his house band.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

I don't watch any of that shit. But if you're Fallon? Fuck, yeah, take the cash; it's NBA star money. And resign yourself that it's as far as your career is going to ever go, become immune to terrible generic sterilized network monologue "writing", learn to tune out the trained-seal laugh track, get used to interviewing whatever shitball has a new appallingly bad teenage vampire movie out, become proficient at acting like you give a fuck and laughing along with some asshole you aren't evening listening to, wait until some soon-to-be dustbin of history crappy band closes the show so you can walk off the set, go home, and try to wash the stink off with pills and more expensive booze than your audience drinks as they watch you, as if you're NyQuil, so they can fall asleep not having to worry about missing anything of any meaning.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't think I've ever seen Fallon's show. But I've liked a lot of the "Hey watch this!" videos from his show that people post various places - usually him doing songs of some sort. Like Johnnie, I've been impressed by his talent, because he never seemed that good on SNL. He basically got by on charm, which I guess still put him way ahead of most SNL actors nowadays.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I think Fallon's show is hilarious...Thank You Notes is my favorite sketch. And as Johnnie mentioned, the house band is awesome. I'd figure this site would love him just for the musical guests.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie wrote:I don't watch any of that shit. But if you're Fallon? Fuck, yeah, take the cash; it's NBA star money. And resign yourself that it's as far as your career is going to ever go, become immune to terrible generic sterilized network monologue "writing", learn to tune out the trained-seal laugh track, get used to interviewing whatever shitball has a new appallingly bad teenage vampire movie out, become proficient at acting like you give a fuck and laughing along with some asshole you aren't evening listening to, wait until some soon-to-be dustbin of history crappy band closes the show so you can walk off the set, go home, and try to wash the stink off with pills and more expensive booze than your audience drinks as they watch you, as if you're NyQuil, so they can fall asleep not having to worry about missing anything of any meaning.
I'm with Shirley, don't think I've actually ever watched beyond clips people post on Facebook and the like, but from interviews and said clips, I get the sense that hosting the this format is Fallon's dream job and he loves every second of it. Some of the clips are really funny, but I have no desire to wade through a show. I liked Letterman in High School, but got bored of the format of latenight shows. Somehow, my parents still watch Dave. They e-mail me clips on occasion, and the guy is still telling the same jokes, exactly the same way 25 years later. They don't seem to notice or mind though.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Yep. Letterman was cool 30 years ago because he was different. Larry 'Bud' Melman and Chris Elliot different.

(And good bands, like Graham Parker and the Rumour.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:Yep. Letterman was cool 30 years ago because he was different. Larry 'Bud' Melman and Chris Elliot different.

(And good bands, like Graham Parker and the Rumour.)
[threadjack alert]. Hey, Doc, I finally saw This is 40 last weekend. Graham Parker was awesome, and it was cool seeing Ryan Adams in it, too.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

omg Swamp Pawn
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So wait, Californication finished up this week? Why was I able to get a hold of the final episode last week then?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote:So wait, Californication finished up this week? Why was I able to get a hold of the final episode last week then?
I think Showtime makes episodes available on their website the week before.

Justified's finale was satisfying. Next season should see some pretty awesome Boyd/Winn Duffy scenes.
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

Anyone watch Hanibal on NBC?

I guess I went in with too high of expectations based on initial reviews, but I don't think it's going to be anything special. Definitely could tell the writing and production was a big step above Criminal Minds (which it seems like it will be similar to on a week by week basis, story-wise), but I was hoping for more I guess.

Still waiting for a network show to even approach what cable does in terms of drama quality.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I watched it. A little bit too cute. I give wide latitude to the pilot/first episode of a promising show, as introduction of the premise and the main characters is a big chore that can bleed off quality. But I am not hopeful. Or, maybe Lawrence Fishburne's thing is over-the-top acting; I hadn't noticed anything he's dons since The Matrix.

The only movie in the Hannibal line I've seen is Silence, so I am unfamiliar with the Will Graham character. And I am interested. But I have the feeling I am going to be longing for Ed Norton (at least more than usual), even though I missed Red Dragon.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

I saw it, too. To anyone that hasn't, I'd recommend not getting one's hopes up.

The Red Dragon films, yes, there's two of the same story, one with William Petersen and the other with Edward Norton, are both superior to Silence Of The Lambs (the story of a woman horrified by protein-based food who falls in love with a cannibal, go figure). And the TV show is just what you'd expect; dumbed down (even further) and sterilized. Mads Mikkelsen is a decent enough actor; quite good in this role. Hugh Dancy is just a TMZ-level pretty boy and is utterly unconvincing in the role of Will Graham. "Wooden" is a useful adjective.

On a related note, from the "you get what you wish for" department, at least the networks are not pushing out teenage vampire crap as much. The downside is that they've shifted to serial killers; The Cult, The Following, Hannibal, Whatever Is Next.

That's the one whacky thing about America that I could never quite get my finger on. It's the most Christian of countries, yet there are no mainstream Christian shows. Don't get me wrong, that's not a complaint. But something like 80% of Americans identify themselves as Christians and about 1% (surely less) of what comes from the networks/Hollywood is faith-based. Americans are generally God-fearing people who are tough on crime, yet worship serial killers and Godless (beyond themselves, of course) characters as heroes.

The anti-hero. Cervantes and Shakespeare (and, later, Joyce) were really on to something, back in the day.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Scottie wrote:The Red Dragon films, yes, there's two of the same story, one with William Petersen....
Manhunter, directed by a young Michael Mann. Highly recommended movie.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

FX is developing a vampire show based on the The Strain trilogy.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Watched a recorded How I Met Your Mother last night. I've never enjoyed a show as much as this one where the main character and the main story line are so fucking horrible?

I'm behind on Justified too. Watched the one where they have Drew Thompson and need to get him back to Lexington. Damn, who knew Constable Bob was such a badass?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I've really gotten hooked on The Americans.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Scottie wrote:That's the one whacky thing about America that I could never quite get my finger on. It's the most Christian of countries, yet there are no mainstream Christian shows. Don't get me wrong, that's not a complaint. But something like 80% of Americans identify themselves as Christians and about 1% (surely less) of what comes from the networks/Hollywood is faith-based. Americans are generally God-fearing people who are tough on crime, yet worship serial killers and Godless (beyond themselves, of course) characters as heroes.
Touched by an Angel?
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Steve of phpBB wrote:I've really gotten hooked on The Americans.
I'll second that. Excellent show.
timgod99X
Jackie Treehorn

Post by timgod99X »

Giff wrote:Justified's finale was satisfying. Next season should see some pretty awesome Boyd/Winn Duffy scenes.
[/quote]

Not one of their best seasons, but still better than a lot of junk that's out there. Was weird not having it on the DVR last night.
howard
Karl Hungus

Christian Shows

Post by howard »

I could not think of too many. Touched by an Angel, mentioned above. Joan of Arcadia. Highway to Heaven. Father Murphy. The Flying Nun. And, of course, Morel Orel/Davy and Goliath. That's all I got.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…