The Athletic Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: The Athletic Thread

Post by tennbengal »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:21 am huh
I will just assume that is gonna be bad.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Should I finally buy a subscription before NYT jacks everything up? (I only read the link/headline.)

About once a month something gets linked over there and I'm tempted.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:30 am Should I finally buy a subscription before NYT jacks everything up? (I only read the link/headline.)

I can't believe you don't already have it. yes, it is worth it. Especially at the specials they keep running. I re-upped at full price with no regrets each of the last two years.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:34 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:30 am Should I finally buy a subscription before NYT jacks everything up? (I only read the link/headline.)

I can't believe you don't already have it. yes, it is worth it. Especially at the specials they keep running. I re-upped at full price with no regrets each of the last two years.
I'm just incredibly (weirdly) stingy about monthly subscriptions, mainly because we have (too many) TV subscriptions.

I used to pop for a couple of podcasts, but dropped those many years ago for this reason.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

uh, they undercut the value of it and sell it for like $10 a year sometimes
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Well … I’m atleast half-right in that they never viewed this as a long term model.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:49 am uh, they undercut the value of it and sell it for like $10 a year sometimes
Yeah, I got it for $1.50 a month when I was going to cancel. But I admit I don't visit the site every day. It's nice to have access to their features, but the daily reporting doesn't do a lot for me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rumor that they were positioning for a sale has been going on for a few months.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is definitely better than a PE purchase so that's nice?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, Bronto, as a writer yourself, what do you see as the likely implications of this for The Athletic, its readers, and its writers?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:44 pm
So, Bronto, as a writer yourself, what do you see as the likely implications of this for The Athletic, its readers, and its writers?
Lots of athletic writers are contract and not employees. That was a big part of their business model early on.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:24 am
Why? I mean, it’s a neat app on my iPad that I can customize by sport, league, team, etc., but the content is too often milquetoast, smacking of writers too concerned with maintaining access to clubhouses and locker rooms.

If this means I’ll no longer have to hand $ over to The Athletic and it folds into my digital subscription to the NYT, then, points!
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:39 pm
Why? I mean, it’s a neat app on my iPad that I can customize by sport, league, team, etc., but the content is too often milquetoast, smacking of writers too concerned with maintaining access to clubhouses and locker rooms.

If this means I’ll no longer have to hand $ over to The Athletic and it folds into my digital subscription to the NYT, then, points!
The Bengals beat writers are fantastic. So are the Reds beat writers. I hope this doesn't change that. I worry it will. I also love the national writers they have assembled in the NFL and NBA especially. I fear change when media companies are acquired because it is usually very bad for the good stuff.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:07 pm

The Bengals beat writers are fantastic. So are the Reds beat writers. I hope this doesn't change that. I worry it will. I also love the national writers they have assembled in the NFL and NBA especially. I fear change when media companies are acquired because it is usually very bad for the good stuff.
You’re right about that, cuz it usually means consolidation.

Local news coverage is sorta hilarious when you get someone writing about “Patterson’s Park was the scene of a mugging last night.”

No, it’s Patterson Park.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:44 pm
I have no idea!
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They did another mega-draft, this time baseball, where they have one drafter for each real franchise:

Pitcher
Position player
Owner (Must be one of 30 current owners)
Manager (Must be one of 30 current managers)
GM (Free pick, could be literally anyone)
City your team will reside in (Must be a current MLB city; cities with multiple teams will be designated by neighborhood/location of existing ballparks — eg. South Side Chicago and North Side Chicago, Queens and the Bronx, LA and Anaheim)
Ballpark (Must be one of the 30 current MLB ballparks; this will magically be transported to your city of choice because why not)

Drives me insane that anyone would see these rules and then pick a player/GM early on. Always pick the limited resource.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:57 pm They did another mega-draft, this time baseball, where they have one drafter for each real franchise:

Pitcher
Position player
Owner (Must be one of 30 current owners)
Manager (Must be one of 30 current managers)
GM (Free pick, could be literally anyone)
City your team will reside in (Must be a current MLB city; cities with multiple teams will be designated by neighborhood/location of existing ballparks — eg. South Side Chicago and North Side Chicago, Queens and the Bronx, LA and Anaheim)
Ballpark (Must be one of the 30 current MLB ballparks; this will magically be transported to your city of choice because why not)

Drives me insane that anyone would see these rules and then pick a player/GM early on. Always pick the limited resource.
City first?

I want to look at a list of stadiums and see how many I know what team plays there.

ETA: 15, much easier than I thought, lots have kept their name or have the team name or a major hint.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

When they say literally anyone for GM, do really they mean anyone? Like could they Jurassic Park Branch Rickey? Or Nostradamus? Shit. Go with Doc Brown. Or Rick Sanchez. Go crazy folks.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:57 pm Or Rick Sanchez.
Got to admire that out-of-the-box thinking.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:57 pm When they say literally anyone for GM, do really they mean anyone? Like could they Jurassic Park Branch Rickey? Or Nostradamus? Shit. Go with Doc Brown. Or Rick Sanchez. Go crazy folks.
I mean, Belichick and Obama were chosen, so yeah.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Love that a place can pay someone to spend the time to write an article like this: Watford: The best team in Europe… at nutmegs
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:53 pm Thousands of words on the water fountain, the pictures, world cup.
https://theathletic.com/1448748/2019/12 ... ed-article
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Most of these good things are good because they are not part of massive lazy companies.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I am less interested in renewing by the day. And I pay like two bucks a month.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Gunpowder wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:15 pm

Most of these good things are good because they are not part of massive lazy companies.
The Athletic is basically long-form ESPN. Like a Sunday morning ESPN show that delves deeper into a feel good story.

I'm not going to pay for this next go-round. I'd rather pay Defector.
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Bus....one of the few people my parents gushed over when they lived in Pittsburgh for just how awesome a person he was.
https://theathletic.com/3265171/2022/04 ... raduation/
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

From the Athletic Pulse email
$7M a year in baseballs (assuming $24/ball)
https://theathletic.com/3325753/2022/05 ... alls-used/
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:14 pm The Bus....one of the few people my parents gushed over when they lived in Pittsburgh for just how awesome a person he was.
https://theathletic.com/3265171/2022/04 ... raduation/
I missed this before. What a great story.
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Unwritten Rules of Shirt Swapping

https://theathletic.com/2899189/2022/06 ... ed_article
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

If you have not checked this out, it is another classic MLSist read. Pretty solid research on just a lost person in soccer.
https://theathletic.com/3363062/2022/06 ... ie-mclean/
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:04 pm I am less interested in renewing by the day. And I pay like two bucks a month.
Canceled. Just not enough value for my admittedly low spending bar.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:23 am
A_B wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:04 pm I am less interested in renewing by the day. And I pay like two bucks a month.
Interesting. I read a ton and can't get to all the good stuff. No good UK, Browns stuff? C Trent for the Reds is excellent. Their national folks in the NFL and NBA are outstanding. You are not getting $2 a month in value?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:33 am
A_B wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:23 am
Interesting. I read a ton and can't get to all the good stuff. No good UK, Browns stuff? C Trent for the Reds is excellent. Their national folks in the NFL and NBA are outstanding. You are not getting $2 a month in value?
I read C Trent, but that's about it. Some of the national baseball stuff is good. I've quit reading about the Browns and the UK stuff is decent, but usually only the profiles and longer form stuff.Day to day stuff just doesn't do it for me.

I gave it two years and just don't read it enough.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Probably because you're shitting less these days.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I am thinking about letting it go. I love Pablo M (Mlsist) and his articles, but just don't have time/desire to read the other articles that catch my fancy in the emails I get each day.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pretty damning article today about the University of Michigan hockey program. Specifically regarding the head coach and the director of hockey operations.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:27 pm Pretty damning article today about the University of Michigan hockey program. Specifically regarding the head coach and the director of hockey operations.
Yeah his time at UM is probably done. Doubt he's coaching there by this time next week.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, The Athletic had an real interesting piece today about my old avatar, Jake Plummer. He’s got a mushroom company and is completely sold on their health benefits. He does come across as being a bit out there, but just as a human interest story, I found it a fun read.