Spring/Summer Reading Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Spring/Summer Reading Thread

Post by pruitt2 »

Here's one book nobody will be reading...

Her Novel Was Pulled for Plagiarism. Her Explanation Was, Too.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
teeteebee
Brandt

Re: Spring/Summer Reading Thread

Post by teeteebee »

I’ve bought a lot of books over the years. Always intending to read but rarely following through.

I recently made a commitment to read at least 30 minutes a day.

Started reading The Lords of Easy Money this weekend. Just concluded chapter 3 and read about the failure of Penn Square Bank. The decision to not extend them any further was made on the 4th of July weekend in 1982.

Definitely an interesting read, especially given the current climate. The overall premise is how the printing of money has crushed the American economy. Essentially a ticking time bomb with the fireworks just starting to be set off.
oh shit...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Really enjoying Pachinko.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Guess I'm going to have to get this one:

So many celebs and politico types are giving it rave reviews. He's sharing them on his Instagram feed.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

I committed myself to finally reading "Don Quixote"

And it's pretty entertaining, but I'm stuck at page 350 and really don't think I'm going to continue.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt3 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:57 am I committed myself to finally reading "Don Quixote"

And it's pretty entertaining, but I'm stuck at page 350 and really don't think I'm going to continue.
I think with dense slogs like DQ, that's OK. One, either you pick it back up down the line reenergized or two, find something you want to read more. It took me probably 30 months to read Blood Meridian.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I'm slowly slugging through another book about maps, so this for some lighter reading.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I barreled through a couple books from both the Nightside and Secret Histories series by Simon R. Green as well as David Baldacci book in the last two weeks. Also finished the Alex Verus series which I hated to see end. Currently reading this one.

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm also caught in a bit of a slog. Trying hard to finish it, even though the story has slowed...

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:02 am I'm slowly slugging through another book about maps, so this for some lighter reading.

A good read as I recall.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt3 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:58 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:02 am I'm slowly slugging through another book about maps, so this for some lighter reading.

A good read as I recall.
AMazing how he explained why the Ukrainian war was coming back in 2014 or whatever.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I've been using Libby to send library books but my most recent loan is not available in Kindle format. My Kindle app said it changed because of Google app store policies. I'm hoping this isn't an end to free (good) books on my Kindle.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:02 am
Pruitt3 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:57 am I committed myself to finally reading "Don Quixote"

I think with dense slogs like DQ, that's OK. One, either you pick it back up down the line reenergized or two, find something you want to read more. It took me probably 30 months to read Blood Meridian.
It took me like 5 years to get through the Baroque Cycle (3 books, over 2600 pages) by Neal Stephenson (my username is a character who floats through time in his stories).

And I’ll let you know whenever I get around to re-starting/finishing Infinite Jest.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:12 pm I've been using Libby to send library books but my most recent loan is not available in Kindle format. My Kindle app said it changed because of Google app store policies. I'm hoping this isn't an end to free (good) books on my Kindle.
It's still working for me. Libby>Kindle
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Knocked out the new Jack Ryan Jr. novel on vacation. It is what you would expect from this.

During some long driving trip my son and I listened to The Three Body Problem.

Good enough that I am going to read the rest of the series. Strange when you think about it through the lens of this was written by "the most prolific and popular science fiction writer in the People’s Republic of China."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I didn't know Brentford was in London, and I've never heard of Barnet or Dagenham
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

He starts from the founding of the clubs, I'm in the 19 aughts in the book, Dagenham and Barnet play in the 5th division currently. Brentford is in West London about halfway between Westminster and Heathrow.

He's supposedly a Leyton Orient supporter, but he's shown a wee bit too much love for Arsenal.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:38 pm I didn't know Brentford was in London, and I've never heard of Barnet or Dagenham
Brentford is about as far away from Craven Cottage as Craven Cottage is from Stamford Bridge. Which is to say, they're really close.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:03 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:38 pm I didn't know Brentford was in London, and I've never heard of Barnet or Dagenham
Brentford is about as far away from Craven Cottage as Craven Cottage is from Stamford Bridge. Which is to say, they're really close.
I need to brush up on my London Neighborhood names I guess. Maybe there's a book with a common theme I enjoy that would help.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Only reason I know those "random" teams is by following Wrexham and Salford.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:45 pm During some long driving trip my son and I listened to The Three Body Problem.

Good enough that I am going to read the rest of the series. Strange when you think about it through the lens of this was written by "the most prolific and popular science fiction writer in the People’s Republic of China."
My GF read the trilogy, and enjoyed it, but I think she got bogged down in the 'out-there-ness' of the third book.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:44 pm He starts from the founding of the clubs, I'm in the 19 aughts in the book, Dagenham and Barnet play in the 5th division currently. Brentford is in West London about halfway between Westminster and Heathrow.

He's supposedly a Leyton Orient supporter, but he's shown a wee bit too much love for Arsenal.
Damn!

And I was going to get this book.

Oh well.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

He lightens it up a bit too throw love to Chelsea, I'm waiting for the Spurs chapter.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

I had no desire to read any book about the Trump administration until I learned that Mark Leibovich wrote one.

Page 40 and it is really good. So much dumb shit that I'd already forgotten - like the Marco Rubio "momentum" when the GOP grandees figured that he would be the guy to beat Trump.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt3 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:45 am I had no desire to read any book about the Trump administration until I learned that Mark Leibovich wrote one.

Page 40 and it is really good. So much dumb shit that I'd already forgotten - like the Marco Rubio "momentum" when the GOP grandees figured that he would be the guy to beat Trump.
I saw a couple appearance where Leibovich discussed the book. Sounds really interesting. He is a fantastic on panel shows, I need to get this one.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.vox.com/culture/23032674/se ... ohn-mandel

For the folks that loved Station 11 and Glass Hotel... Sea of Tranquility is pretty damn good.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.