NCAA Football 2021 Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: NCAA Football 2021 Thread

Post by sancarlos »

On one hand, I think it’s great that college athletes can now get paid. They should be the ones who benefit from use of their own likeness. But, on the other hand, I can see the angst some people have over the fact that it easily becomes a recruiting ploy that allows boosters to pay off and buy new recruits and easily skirts the rules.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

If you think Saban has been running anything close to clean programs, insert joke about a place with a view that actually has a shitty view. He's just mad the playing field has been leveled.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:36 pm If you think Saban has been running anything close to clean programs, insert joke about a place with a view that actually has a shitty view. He's just mad the playing field has been leveled.
Yeah maybe so, but that’s not my point, and I have no particular love for Saban. College sports recruiting has always been dirty. My point is that it’s sad that an unintended consequence of a well-intentioned rule change is that it makes it even easier for boosters to break the rules.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:47 pm
Giff wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:36 pm If you think Saban has been running anything close to clean programs, insert joke about a place with a view that actually has a shitty view. He's just mad the playing field has been leveled.
Yeah maybe so, but that’s not my point, and I have no particular love for Saban. College sports recruiting has always been dirty. My point is that it’s sad that an unintended consequence of a well-intentioned rule change is that it makes it even easier for boosters to break the rules.
At least now it's (mostly) above board. NIL deals have to fairly extensively documented as far as I'm aware.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This shouldn't be about boosters anymore. It should be a regulated business with proper oversight. As it is, it's the fucking Wild West and the schools that already have an existing money pipeline (most of the SEC, Clemson, OSU) are going to have the upper hand the first 4 or 5 years, and then this shit is going to level out very quickly.

A school like... oh I'll just randomly pick Michigan... that has a massive and on average quite affluent alumni base needs to get its ducks in a row. That brand is gold. Notre Dame, Stanford, USC/UCLA, etc etc... same thing. (Though, it sure seemed like there was a good run for those LA schools where booster went off the rails.)

The NCAA stuck their head in the ground after they got bitch slapped by the SC and now it's a mostly unregulated mess, with each conference/school left to make up their own rules (for the most part.)

The funny thing about Saban lashing out is that he's not actually wrong. Fisher and Deion can get all butt hurt, but it's all just an act. I'm not really even sure why they're getting so offended. Is Deion really trying to claim that the recruit in question would have gone to an HBCU with no shot at any real national exposure if it weren't for NIL money??

Talk about gaslighting.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's not really what Saban said. He directly accused them of cheating, not taking advantage of new rules legally.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So is there really a scenario where Deion didn't line up the NIL money and convey that to this kid prior to him signing a commitment??

I guess I'm jaded? And Miss. St., pretty much out of nowhere starts signing 5 stars a few years back, we have pretty strong incriminating statements from players they were offered money and now with NIL, that practice just stops?

I'm just not buying any of that. Like I said, the teams that have established a pipeline, and all the shady ways of conveying that to prospects, aren't all of a sudden operating out in the open and clean.

For those not fully up on this, it is NOT permissible to use NIL funds for pay-to-play commitment types schemes. Once a player is signed/committed to a school THEN you are allowed to approach a player and set-up a deal (or vice versa).

So, yeah, Saban is absolutely being hypocritical here... Doesn't mean he's wrong from a technical sense.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

he's a hypocrite. his program paid recruits for years. Fuck him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:50 pm he's a hypocrite. his program paid recruits for years. Fuck him.
Hey now, we've been taught recently that hypocrites can't be called out for being hypocrites when they're expected to be hypocrites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Lather rinse repeat
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:27 pm
Giff wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:01 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:40 pm (And I'm sorry for that very weird and specific example, but the college football thread has me all worked up.)
Where you're defending Saban for vomiting out accusations of cheating because he might be right? Where's the irony thread?!
I'm not really defending Saban, who is only upset because... Tuscaloosa isn't as flush for NIL money so he sees the long-term and it's not good for business?

I can't stand Saban. Former MI St. coach who has been paying players the entire time in AL.

But he's not wrong that NIL is being used to lure recruits (duh) which is expressly against the few rules that are in place for NIL. Fuck him and his hypocrisy, but, again... He's not wrong that there needs to be some kind of regulation of this shit. He was also bitching about the Transfer Portal ruling and wants the Feds to step and... I dunno, get anti-trust help so they can fuck with the players ability to move around? Enforce laws or rules the SC has already ruled to be illegal?

Fuck Saban, he's a dirtbag. Doesn't mean there's not something very shitty still existing in college sports. I think a LOT of ppl are like "oh good, the players are getting paid... all is well." That's not the reality of the current situation.
Just to make sure we've got the conversation in one place.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:58 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:50 pm he's a hypocrite. his program paid recruits for years. Fuck him.
Hey now, we've been taught recently that hypocrites can't be called out for being hypocrites when they're expected to be hypocrites.
The irony of the NIL rules is they take power away from schools where they've been cheating openly for decades but at pennies on the dollar, but with an unsophisticated and relatively poor alumni base (think Alabama, LSU, Clemson) and the new power in a regulated NIL space very well could be schools with massive, rich alumni bases (relative to the current power structure) like Texas, Texas A&M and yes even schools like Michigan, Stanford and of course Ohio State, which has its roots in both worlds.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you've ever followed the EDBSS fundraisers for refugee resettlement, you know very well that Michigan's alumni would likely outspend every other university in the country easily if it wanted to crowd-source NIL money.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:52 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:27 pm
Giff wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:01 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:40 pm (And I'm sorry for that very weird and specific example, but the college football thread has me all worked up.)
Where you're defending Saban for vomiting out accusations of cheating because he might be right? Where's the irony thread?!
I'm not really defending Saban, who is only upset because... Tuscaloosa isn't as flush for NIL money so he sees the long-term and it's not good for business?

I can't stand Saban. Former MI St. coach who has been paying players the entire time in AL.

But he's not wrong that NIL is being used to lure recruits (duh) which is expressly against the few rules that are in place for NIL. Fuck him and his hypocrisy, but, again... He's not wrong that there needs to be some kind of regulation of this shit. He was also bitching about the Transfer Portal ruling and wants the Feds to step and... I dunno, get anti-trust help so they can fuck with the players ability to move around? Enforce laws or rules the SC has already ruled to be illegal?

Fuck Saban, he's a dirtbag. Doesn't mean there's not something very shitty still existing in college sports. I think a LOT of ppl are like "oh good, the players are getting paid... all is well." That's not the reality of the current situation.
Just to make sure we've got the conversation in one place.
I'd also add that my dislike of Saban, as mentioned above, goes back to his MSU days. Let's just say the "culture" he instilled there carried on and resulted in multiple very shady players moving through that program and a lot of rumors about how many recruits landed on that team. He's smarmy POS and I've had that opinion LONG before he landed in AL.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:59 pm If you've ever followed the EDBSS fundraisers for refugee resettlement, you know very well that Michigan's alumni would likely outspend every other university in the country easily if it wanted to crowd-source NIL money.
Exactly. And Hunter Dickinson is the only one really publically saying this and calling out the school for dragging its feet to figure this shit out. I'm not, at all, against the NIL money and looser transfer portal rules... Like, at all. Not just because I see the potential for MI to get out of its own way and tap into the alumni base, but MUCH more because I think it's only fair that multi-billion dollar businesses... you know, pay their workers/entertainers. It's ridiculous at this point.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So just watching sportscenter flash by while drinking a beer at a bar and did Lincoln Riley move to Southern California and grow out his hair, like ponytail length? If so I’m hoping I missed a Y! sports deepdive on this and I apologize and give me the link.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Arch to Austin
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:37 pm So just watching sportscenter flash by while drinking a beer at a bar and did Lincoln Riley move to Southern California and grow out his hair, like ponytail length? If so I’m hoping I missed a Y! sports deepdive on this and I apologize and give me the link.
no, unfortunately
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A conference that stretches from LA to New Brunswick, NJ is definitely in the best interest of the 'Student Athletes'...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Did Lincoln Riley know?!?!?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Looking forward to a possible UCLA-UCBerkeley Rose Bowl.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

NCAA needs to stop with the trickle-changes and just realign everyone now. Create two divisions...the Haves and the Have Nots and split everybody up.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:28 pm NCAA needs to stop with the trickle-changes and just realign everyone now. Create two divisions...the Haves and the Have Nots and split everybody up.
-The NCAA is not responsible for the Conferences
- They Do FBS, FCS, D2, D3
- This is directly tied to TV/Media Rights (same reason B1G wanted MD and Rutgers...and have been connected to Florida schools)....remember the nice days of Jefferson Pilot and Raycom ACC coverage?
- And schools are forced to chase the $ because of NIL (and before that facilities, etc)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The NCAA ain't doing shit. They're completely neutered.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

ACC and PAC 10 more or less forced into a partnership and split up Kansas and Baylor (yuk). Rose Bowl could be permanent ACC and PAC 10 chip game.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Some good stuff in The Athletic on the USC/UCLA move. Lots of speculation on Oregon and Washington also joining the Big 10, with Utah, Colorado, and the Arizona schools maybe joining the Big 12.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The PAC 12 Network was a debacle and this is the result. Period.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Well there you have it! No more conference realignment!
Noli Timere Messorem
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Regular 11pm B1G games? Have a quadruple header each week on the BTN.
oh shit...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

teeteebee wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:35 pm Regular 11pm B1G games? Have a quadruple header each week on the BTN.
Yeah it seems pretty unlikely they stop at USC and UCLA. The obvious move is to add two more schools from the West Coast (Cal and Stanford if I had to bet) and you split into two 9-team “divisions” with 2 crossover games every year for a 10-game conference schedule. That effectively makes the B1G TV footprint national.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Unfortunately this probably does not result in more D1 men's lacrosse. However, D1 women's lax could gets a boost from the B1Gs growth.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

With the conference moves here does that put Notre Dame in play? What about Texas? Figure Notre Dame has TV value and the tie to the ACC is not so strong. Texas is a big TV market but UT has that ESPN deal for their channel and some state schools will get the you need to bring 2 for the rivalry (UVA and VT in the past). UNC and Duke (Prestigious but may not help the media value). Maybe UNC and Clemson.

Heard a take on the local sports talk that this really plays out well for Maryland. They were forced to leave the ACC due to Debbie Yow taking on so much debt. So instead of being a minnow or pawn as all this is going on, they get to rake in $ (at a cost of 8 years without the old basketball rivalries...and Duke did not consider MD a top-tier rival).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Texas and Oklahoma already on their way to the SEC.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shhh, don't tell him, he's on a roll
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

What do you call it now? The Behemoth Conference?
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Big Involuntary Relocation Conference.

EDIT: This is the SEC, btw.
Last edited by A_B on Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I don't think unc will ever leave the ACC so long as it exists. The only threat to the ACC would be if UVA goes to the Big Ten cause then UNC might reconsider. Any other losses of 1-2 schools wouldnt really matter much.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:28 pm I don't think unc will ever leave the ACC so long as it exists. The only threat to the ACC would be if UVA goes to the Big Ten cause then UNC might reconsider. Any other losses of 1-2 schools wouldnt really matter much.
“Stewart Mandel in The Athletic” wrote:
any talk of the SEC inviting Clemson, Florida State or whoever else has been muted by the fact ACC members signed away their Grant of Rights through 2036. It would theoretically cost hundreds of millions in lost TV revenue for a school to leave early…
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:01 pm What do you call it now? The Behemoth Conference?
Feinstein in the Post this morning called it the Rich Sixteen.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Notre Dame has to be getting the pressure to align with a conference. Would be very surprised if they aren’t within the next 3-5 years.
oh shit...