NCAA Football 2021 Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: NCAA Football 2021 Thread

Post by HaulCitgo »

Pressure to waive their automatic playoff pass? Pressure to trade wins vs the military academies for Ls against Ohio state and Michigan? Those guys are sitting pretty and they know it. So long as NBC keeps paying they're good. If and when they'll write their own ticket playing off sec and acc.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:26 pm Pressure to waive their automatic playoff pass? Pressure to trade wins vs the military academies for Ls against Ohio state and Michigan? Those guys are sitting pretty and they know it. So long as NBC keeps paying they're good. If and when they'll write their own ticket playing off sec and acc.
Thinking there’s a lot more money aligning but your points are certainly relevant. We’ll see.
oh shit...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

* - Yeah, Notre Dame's deal with NBC, along with the fairly strong sentiment of the fan/alumni base that wants to remain independent, is going to keep them in steady state for quite some time. I don't have the numbers, but not sure ND is better off joining the B1G football deal for TV rights or just staying put. But it would have to be institution-altering money to get past the smell test for the school/fans. They REALLY don't like the idea of joining the B1G, for whatever reason.

* - The other thing to always keep in mind in these discussions is that the B1G is very stuck on admitting schools into the conference that have AAU membership. For the record, both USC and UCLA are members, as are Washington, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Stanford and Berkely. I may have missed someone, but the point remains.

(Also for the record, MD and Rutgers are AAU members. Others schools that entered the expansion discussion back in the day were Kansas and Mizzou, but 1) the media markets are weak and 2) they, um, kind of suck at football? But the point is, they were on the board because of AAU affiliation.

Also, also... Nebraska was admitted with AAU affiliation and subsequently lost that distinction (or however that should be phrased) after the fact and everyone just shrugged and moved on.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:16 am * - Yeah, Notre Dame's deal with NBC, along with the fairly strong sentiment of the fan/alumni base that wants to remain independent, is going to keep them in steady state for quite some time. I don't have the numbers, but not sure ND is better off joining the B1G football deal for TV rights or just staying put. But it would have to be institution-altering money to get past the smell test for the school/fans. They REALLY don't like the idea of joining the B1G, for whatever reason.

* - The other thing to always keep in mind in these discussions is that the B1G is very stuck on admitting schools into the conference that have AAU membership. For the record, both USC and UCLA are members, as are Washington, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Stanford and Berkely. I may have missed someone, but the point remains.

(Also for the record, MD and Rutgers are AAU members. Others schools that entered the expansion discussion back in the day were Kansas and Mizzou, but 1) the media markets are weak and 2) they, um, kind of suck at football? But the point is, they were on the board because of AAU affiliation.

Also, also... Nebraska was admitted with AAU affiliation and subsequently lost that distinction (or however that should be phrased) after the fact and everyone just shrugged and moved on.)
Notre Dame's TV deal isn't as financially lucrative as SEC or Big Ten teams, I'm pretty sure.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

SEC is like $55m, and ND's current deal is $15m.

To be fair, that's the SEC's new deal post-CBS, starting this year.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:49 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:16 am * - Yeah, Notre Dame's deal with NBC, along with the fairly strong sentiment of the fan/alumni base that wants to remain independent, is going to keep them in steady state for quite some time. I don't have the numbers, but not sure ND is better off joining the B1G football deal for TV rights or just staying put. But it would have to be institution-altering money to get past the smell test for the school/fans. They REALLY don't like the idea of joining the B1G, for whatever reason.

Notre Dame's TV deal isn't as financially lucrative as SEC or Big Ten teams, I'm pretty sure.
Pretty good (I think?) Athletic article on this very subject and why the maths mean that ND has to at least seriously consider joining a conference as a full member.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, pretty good. That article helped remind me of the other, very valid concern ND had back when they were kicking the Big Ten tires, which was potentially turning into Penn State of Nebraska... A once national brand that has since been diminished by the geography of a conference. Obviously, with the B1G now a coast to coast league, that particular concern falls off.

At some point, ND is going to have to pick the ESPN or Fox money train.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I get a kick out of every article that says Big Ten requires AAU membership for their member schools. Even though Nebraska doesn’t have it and everybody is just fine with it.

(I know they used to have it when they entered the conference.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:02 pm I get a kick out of every article that says Big Ten requires AAU membership for their member schools. Even though Nebraska doesn’t have it and everybody is just fine with it.

(I know they used to have it when they entered the conference.)
I mean... What were they gonna do, kick them out? It's absolutely part of the screening process, but they aren't going to turn down ND for ANY reason.

MD and Rutgers aren't getting into that conference without AAU justification.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

No they wont. Cant see the article but id play the long game here. You dont want to get left without a chair but that aint happening for the most part. Id want to see how the whole thing shakes out before you sign over your media rights. Id really want my own media deal like they have now but maybe over some decades the money might get where id feel pressure. But not for a while. And not until the consolidation finishes up and we see who the winner is. Would also worry a bit about football generally. The game has changed so much already and an on field death or two might make some of these schools think twice (Northwestern?). Now these HS kids seem to die every year on field in Georgia and it changes nothing but theyre not really going to join the SEC and the other presidents and trustees might not bend over to athletics so quickly.