The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by govmentchedda »

National
Mountain Goats
Arcade Fire
Archers of Loaf
Radiohead

is my take 30 seconds to think about it answer.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My current overthink is "man, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs would be a lot of fun as the middle band of the 5".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:24 pm So I bought some summer concert tickets for myself and the wife today. Looking at my purchases, I said to myself, “Yes, you are old.”

John Fogarty
The Decemberists
Robert Earl Keen
Son Volt
Wife is a big fan of The Shins, so I got us tickets for a belated birthday present for her. $15 "convenience fee" per ticket? Grrrr...

I'm not in Brian or Giff territory, but I'm going to more shows this summer than usual, for me.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:02 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:24 pm So I bought some summer concert tickets for myself and the wife today. Looking at my purchases, I said to myself, “Yes, you are old.”

John Fogarty
The Decemberists
Robert Earl Keen
Son Volt
Wife is a big fan of The Shins, so I got us tickets for a belated birthday present for her. $15 "convenience fee" per ticket? Grrrr...

I'm not in Brian or Giff territory, but I'm going to more shows this summer than usual, for me.
Wow.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I mean no offense but $15 is small potatoes for a “convenience fee”. I paid like $40/ticket “convenience” fee to see Elton John.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Checking now and The National was $9, Beach House $12 and Interpol/Spoon $17, all on ~$50 tickets.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Bright Eyes tonight.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Aaaaaaannmnnddddd Conor Oberst bailed after second song.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:43 pm Aaaaaaannmnnddddd Conor Oberst bailed after second song.
What? Why?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Right now we just assume he was fucked up. My buddy said he stumbled walking on the stage and then the crowd basically sang most of the second song. The band didn't seem to have any clue, so they vamped for a bit and then brought up some people from the audience to sing a song, then the lights came on. At least I'm getting my money back I guess.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Went to see the California Honeydrops and Infamous Stringdusters at Red Rocks last night (I had never seen either group). Honeydrops were good but their jam-band stuff felt a little stale. Dusters put on a great live show...sound was awesome.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’ve mentioned before that my buddy’s nephew is a banjo player in the Billy Strings band. That nephew is getting married tomorrow. My friend says the whole band and many other musicians are coming, so he is anticipating an epic private pickup concert at some point in the reception.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We saw Brandi Carlile play at the Gorge on Saturday night, and she was amazing, as usual. Played a great mix of tunes, with some fun covers thrown in (Space Oddity -> Radiohead's "Creep", Heart's "How do I get you alone", and finished the encore with "Somewhere over the rainbow").

One of the openers was Sarah MacLachlan, and she was amazing. Sounded just like she did 25 years ago. Other opener was Lucious, who also came out and sang backup on some of Carlile's songs. Carlile and MacLachlan also did some songs together.

The Gorge is a fantastic venue, but a pain in the ass. You absolutely have to camp there...and the trek back from the venue to the campgrounds after the show is awful (we paid for upgraded camping, which was supposed to have shuttles, but no shuttles to be found after the show), and we got mis-directed by staff and ended up having to hop a fence to get to our campsite.

And the prices inside the venue are completely ridiculous.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So... Adele and Kacey Musgraves are pretty amazing live.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Black Keys and Band of Horses tonight.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Damn I’m a week late.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Kinda glad Railbird got canceled because Giff's Griner Baylor jersey might have gone over like a lead balloon.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Mountain Goats duo show (John and Matt) last night with my oldest. Other than the sweltering heat and humidity inside the old theater, such a great time.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:30 pm Kinda glad Railbird got canceled because Giff's Griner Baylor jersey might have gone over like a lead balloon.
It would feel weird to hit my vape pen while wearing it for sure.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Can’t remember the last show I went to.

Seeing Jack Johnson tonight. Considering DMB this weekend. Have tix for PJ in Sept.

Just saw Bruce announced his tour dates for early 2023.
oh shit...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Seeing The Shins tonight in San Francisco.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oooo, I want to hear about this one. On my "I should really see them" list.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:17 pm Seeing The Shins tonight in San Francisco.
Going Saturday in Vegas. Should be a great show.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:29 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:17 pm Seeing The Shins tonight in San Francisco.
Dude what? I didn't see that when I looked. Brooklyn Bowl? We should be getting in town around 5 or so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:23 pm
Dude what? I didn't see that when I looked. Brooklyn Bowl? We should be getting in town around 5 or so.
Theater at Virgin Hotel (former Hard Rock). I should say since you’re thinking about going it’s 95 percent sure I’m going but I should be able to get 2 free tix for me and the GF.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Did sancarlos put you up to this?

(The show is next Friday the 22nd, not this Saturday the 16th. He told me The Shins were playing here in a venue much closer to where I'm staying than where he's actually seeing them. It's twice this trip I've been teased with Shins shows!)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:45 pm

(The show is next Friday the 22nd, not this Saturday the 16th. He told me The Shins were playing here in a venue much closer to where I'm staying than where he's actually seeing them. It's twice this trip I've been teased with Shins shows!)
Oh shit. I’m an idiot. Sorry.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:45 pm(The show is next Friday the 22nd, not this Saturday the 16th. He told me The Shins were playing here in a venue much closer to where I'm staying than where he's actually seeing them. It's twice this trip I've been teased with Shins shows!)
Usually that happens on trips to UTAH!!!!!!!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:23 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:45 pm

Oh shit. I’m an idiot. Sorry.
No worries, got a genuine laugh out of that. They're in Houston on 8/6, but it's a Monday and weekday shows are hell for me.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Who the hell is Whiskey Myers? I’m currently down in Palm Beach Gardens, Fl visiting my parents and an old HS buddy of mine messaged me letting me know he’s got tickets to see “Whiskey Myers” down in Pompano this Saturday.

They’re apparently some rock/country act. I think I’m gonna pass. Don’t feel like hearing any “Let’s Go Brandon” chants.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:39 pm Who the hell is Whiskey Myers? I’m currently down in Palm Beach Gardens, Fl visiting my parents and an old HS buddy of mine messaged me letting me know he’s got tickets to see “Whiskey Myers” down in Pompano this Saturday.

They’re apparently some rock/country act. I think I’m gonna pass. Don’t feel like hearing any “Let’s Go Brandon” chants.
I don't recall anything overtly political in their songs and don't think they'd necessarily encourage that, but it is very much something I'd take into consideration too.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:45 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:39 pm Who the hell is Whiskey Myers? I’m currently down in Palm Beach Gardens, Fl visiting my parents and an old HS buddy of mine messaged me letting me know he’s got tickets to see “Whiskey Myers” down in Pompano this Saturday.

I don't recall anything overtly political in their songs and don't think they'd necessarily encourage that, but it is very much something I'd take into consideration too.
No - this is about seeing a show in Pompano. If it weren’t for this MAGA environment I’d most likely go to catch up with an old friend and see some new music.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, I wasn't very clear...you'd at the very least see a lot of just "aren't I so fucking witty" t-shirts and flags in the parking lot.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:59 pm Yeah, I wasn't very clear...you'd at the very least see a lot of just "aren't I so fucking witty" t-shirts and flags in the parking lot.
Actually I’d love to rock a t shirt like that, though I suppose the tailgate is where things could get odd.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

They have maybe my least favorite song that isn’t by a typical bro country act. Ballad of a southern man. Look up the lyrics and you’ll probably make your mind up.

I don’t care much for them.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:55 am They have maybe my least favorite song that isn’t by a typical bro country act. Ballad of a southern man. Look up the lyrics and you’ll probably make your mind up.

I don’t care much for them.
I guess that’s something I don’t understand.

(holy shit, they sure like to play the victim card)
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Now that I think about it, the biggest fan of theirs I know thinks Candace Owens should run for president. Fuck 'em.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:28 pm Oooo, I want to hear about this one. On my "I should really see them" list.
Had a great time last night at The Shins show. Sat in the balcony at the wonderful Warfield Theatre. They (like a lot of bands) are a lot more rocking in concert than on their recorded music. Very tight arrangements, great stage show, really well-produced. Not much patter with the audience. The band members all wore white suits which was visually arresting. The theme of this tour is that they played their entire breakout album, "Oh, Inverted World". Also, played their other hits, of course, and also played a couple interesting covers. "Vasoline" (Stone Temple Pilots), and in the middle of a different song, they inserted an interlude of Tom Petty's "American Girl".
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hey, Giff. By the way, if you're still around for a few more days, the Shins are playing this Saturday night not too far from where you are, at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga (the place I told you I thought I was seeing them). Great venue.