The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by tennbengal »

still. all. in.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:55 pm still. all. in.

Yeah, that looks great. For all of my Tolkien fandom, I've never read The Silmarillion. I wonder if I should try to tackle that before this?
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:15 am
tennbengal wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:55 pm still. all. in.

Yeah, that looks great. For all of my Tolkien fandom, I've never read The Silmarillion. I wonder if I should try to tackle that before this?
No. No you should not. Even the WIkipedia entry is a slog.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I think you need to first read Tolkien as a kid or adolescent to get into it. I tried reading LoTR and The Hobbit for the first time as an adult, and I just couldn't power through. I get the fandom, it's an incredible world he created, but I just found it a tedious slog to get through. I don't remember if I stopped in the middle of the second or third book, but I realized "why am I doing this to myself?" I wanted to read the books before the movies came out. I saw the first movie in the theater and fell asleep. I think they did an incredible job, I just didn't care about any of the story and it just dragged on.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Hobbit was the first novel of any real consequence I read as a kid. I then read a bunch of other stuff (To Kill A Mockingbird sticks out) before tackling the trilogy when I was probably 12.

I was a pretty big Tolkein nerd at that point. I tried to read the Silmarillion and... Fucking NOPE. That shit was just way too fucking dense and convoluted. I'd actually always meant to come back to it, but I doubt I'd have the patience for it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, The Hobbit was also a really important book to my childhood. Can't remember when I first read LOTR, but it was a bit later and I reread it once or twice since. I've always heard that The Silmarillion is a slog though (first from my best friend's older brother when I was a kid), so I've never tried it. I'm pretty sure we have it in the house though.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I wonder how they are going to Retcon there being no people of color in the six movies they've made. Don't get me wrong, glad there is more representation for sure, but it is probably going to end up being a "don't think about it too hard" kind of thing I guess.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:45 am I think you need to first read Tolkien as a kid or adolescent to get into it. I tried reading LoTR and The Hobbit for the first time as an adult, and I just couldn't power through. I get the fandom, it's an incredible world he created, but I just found it a tedious slog to get through. I don't remember if I stopped in the middle of the second or third book, but I realized "why am I doing this to myself?" I wanted to read the books before the movies came out. I saw the first movie in the theater and fell asleep. I think they did an incredible job, I just didn't care about any of the story and it just dragged on.
And I totally get this... I have a difficult time reading books anymore... If it doesn't really grab me by the first chapter, I get into the "what am I doing here" mode and it's very difficult finishing.

Don't get me wrong, I love when I find a new book. But my patience for "wasting time" is almost zero these days. I like to read before nodding off, but I don't want to feel annoyed with what I'm reading.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Read the Trilogy and the Hobbit as a kid. Re-read the Trilogy a bunch over the decades (but skip the poems and songs and, frankly, a lot of the Sam and Frodo walking stuff).

Tried the Silmarilon once. Won't go back.

Looking forward to this and especially looking forward to not having to read whatever the source material is first. Less to get upset about with respect to any changes.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:49 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:05 am
Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:30 pm Anyone watch The Bear on Hulu? It's pretty good. 8 'half hour' episodes means you can just burn through it quickly.
Yeah, really digging it. As all of the reviews mention, it's frenetic as fuck, but once you get used to the pacing, the story and characters are outstanding.

I'm 2 episodes in and loving the aspiring sous chef (sidney?)
She's great. Also the voice of Missy in Big Mouth.

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm8731249/?ref_=tt_cl_t_3

Read today it got renewed for a Season 2 as well.
Finished it last night. Big fan. All of the chefs I follow on social media keep raving about how accurate it is.

Fantastic soundtrack as well.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:32 pm
rass wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:10 pm Fresh out of Joe Pera. :(
Nooooooooooo

This should cheer you up, Joe Pera was on Seth Meyers and showed clips... he is the new James Bond!

I love how Seth can't contain how much he enjoys Joe.

-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So excited to see him on this tour.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not sure we deserve Joe Pera but glad he exists.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

"James Bond!"
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

As usual, I’m a little late to the party. But I’m through seven of the nine episodes of Severance, now. Shit is getting wild!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:59 pm As usual, I’m a little late to the party. But I’m through seven of the nine episodes of Severance, now. Shit is getting wild!
Welcome !
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:59 pm As usual, I’m a little late to the party. But I’m through seven of the nine episodes of Severance, now. Shit is getting wild!
We've only made it through 4 episodes because I invariably fall asleep with about 20 minutes left each time.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Watched the last two episodes tonight.
[+] spoiler
Holy shit!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

First two episodes of "Old Man" have me completely hooked.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

How is it I’ve never even heard of the six part mini-series “The Night Manager” (2016)? It’s on Amazon Prime. It’s based on a John Le Carre spy novel of the same name. Two enochs up from me.
Pruitt3 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:34 pm First two episodes of "Old Man" have me completely hooked.
I like it a lot. Somehow I thought it was going to wrap up after E7, but there’s a second season scheduled.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:46 pm How is it I’ve never even heard of the six part mini-series “The Night Manager” (2016)? It’s on Amazon Prime. It’s based on a John Le Carre spy novel of the same name. Two enochs up from me.
Pruitt3 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:34 pm First two episodes of "Old Man" have me completely hooked.
I like it a lot. Somehow I thought it was going to wrap up after E7, but there’s a second season scheduled.
I read the night manager, but the show was on a service I didn't have at the time. I enjoyed the book a lot, so I will check it out again. Thanks!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:24 am
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:46 pm How is it I’ve never even heard of the six part mini-series “The Night Manager” (2016)? It’s on Amazon Prime. It’s based on a John Le Carre spy novel of the same name. Two enochs up from me.
I read the night manager, but the show was on a service I didn't have at the time. I enjoyed the book a lot, so I will check it out again. Thanks!
I binged all six episodes last night. Lots of fun. I might check out some of his other spy novels. If I ever get motivated to read a book that isn’t career beneficial that is.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:03 am I might check out some of his other spy novels. If I ever get motivated to read a book that isn’t career beneficial that is.
I went on a crazy spy/thriller bender about a decade back. IIRC all of his books are basically a night's worth of reading.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Episode 5 ended it for me.
[+] spoiler
One stupid thing after another. So much of the plotting seemed to be to allow the actors to speechify and throw out exposition. I don't believe anything about these characters - other than Chase.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt3 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:33 am
[+] spoiler
One stupid thing after another. So much of the plotting seemed to be to allow the actors to speechify and throw out exposition. I don't believe anything about these characters - other than Chase.
[+] spoiler
The two biggest issues I have with this show is that the Dan Chase character would never have left himself so vulnerable to a woman the way he did to Zoe. Also, the season-ending cliffhanger appeared to occur in the last scene of E6. But then there’s E7 to wrap the season. That was weird.
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Disappointed that Amazon felt the need to bring a TV version of League of Their Own...but I would have gone against a TV Series for Friday Night Lights.

But All or Nothing (Hard Knocks knockoff) for Arsenal coming on 8/2 on Prime.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:52 am
Pruitt3 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:33 am
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
The two biggest issues I have with this show is that the Dan Chase character would never have left himself so vulnerable to a woman the way he did to Zoe. Also, the season-ending cliffhanger appeared to occur in the last scene of E6. But then there’s E7 to wrap the season. That was weird.
[+] spoiler
Zoe's character rings so false - she went from being a put upon "suburban divorcee" to someone who could do some of Chase's dirty work. And if Chase is planning on disappearing, why does he care about Zoe's email that could expose the truth about Dixon? And Emily's lengthy scene in the plane was ridiculous. She had the nerve to accuse Harold Harper of all kinds of things, yet her very presence in the FBI was based on ridiculous lies. Also, she made an urgent call to her father in episode 4 from a washroom in the FBI building. She then tore out her phone's sim card and flushed it down the toilet. Did she not suspect there might be surveillance in that building? And I don't understand what the US government is afraid of in terms of Hamzad. I mean, no one seems to give a crap about what happened in Afghanistan last week, let alone 35 years ago.

And while I probably won't keep watching, it seems obvious that Emily is Hamzad's daughter.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:01 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:03 am I might check out some of his other spy novels. If I ever get motivated to read a book that isn’t career beneficial that is.
I went on a crazy spy/thriller bender about a decade back. IIRC all of his books are basically a night's worth of reading.
I somewhat disagree. They aren’t high literature or course but while easy to read there’s a lot of subtext in there. I think it’s a bit more sophisticated than just beach reading.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:01 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:01 pm
I somewhat disagree. They aren’t high literature or course but while easy to read there’s a lot of subtext in there. I think it’s a bit more sophisticated than just beach reading.
Actually, my dad commented along those lines. “Thing is, with these Le Carre stories, sometimes you need to draw a March Madness map to figure out the relationships.”
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Doesn't take me as long, I don't have to look up what every other word means, just kidding, that was when I was going through a divorce and traveling a lot so I didn't delve deep...and I hardly remember things from a book I read last month.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:44 pm
Doesn't take me as long, I don't have to look up what every other word means, just kidding, that was when I was going through a divorce and traveling a lot so I didn't delve deep...and I hardly remember things from a book I read last month.
Harsh (: having a coarse uneven surface that is rough or unpleasant to the touch) but fair (: marked by impartiality and honesty : free from self-interest, prejudice, or favoritism).
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We just started The Resort (I think on Prime) and Surface (Apple)... Both interesting, but I'm not quite sold.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:46 am Mythic Quest is supposed to be pretty funny. Looking forward to checking that out eventually.
I never got immersed into Sunny, but the upcoming Wrexham series got me interested in Rob McElhenny. So, I think I’ll check it Mythic Quest.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:57 pm
brian wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:46 am Mythic Quest is supposed to be pretty funny. Looking forward to checking that out eventually.
I never got immersed into Sunny, but the upcoming Wrexham series got me interested in Rob McElhenny. So, I think I’ll check it Mythic Quest.
I did end up watching it and it's pretty good. Definitely worth checking out.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I loved the first season of MQ, but couldn't stick with S2 for some reason. Might circle back, but, man, I've got way too much shit to watch at this point.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I enjoyed Mythic Quest. Not the best thing out there but there are some gems of episodes.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:12 pm I enjoyed Mythic Quest. Not the best thing out there but there are some gems of episodes.
Yeah, it's amusing, but not anything special. OTOH, I only watched about 5 episodes. A couple friends absolutely loved it, but I just have way too many shows to catch up on and it didn't grab me.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Speaking of catching up on shows, I'm finally watching The Leftovers. Holy fuck, this show is a head trip! I picked the right time to start smoking weed... I just finished Season 2, and I feel like there are finally some loose ends connecting and more answers than questions, or at least signs that answers might appear. I find it necessary to watch an episode of Joe Pera to cleanse the mind before going to bed. It's both cool and frustrating how the show jumps timelines, or you get really into a plot line, then the next episode will be completely about a different character and just raise more questions and confusion.
-Pruitt