Culinary Hot Takes

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Culinary Hot Takes

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I can't imagine the reasoning behind that unless they wanted to fuck with you. You didn't by any chance spend the last few years hanging out there and dropping passive-aggressive snarky comments whenever they discussed politics, did you?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:12 pm The pizza place tonight’s hot take was “a request of half pepperoni + half meatball does not imply different halves”.
Yeah, the person taking the order needed to clarify that you didn't mean "half pepperoni & meatball." Occam's Razor suggests s/he didn't hear you say the second 'half'.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My wife is lactose intolerant, so we once tried to get a pepperoni pizza with only half cheese.

Even after going into the pizza place and explaining just that, it still came out as "half pepperoni/half cheese."

They ended up making a personal sized pepperoni pizza with no cheese to correct it. Which is exactly what we should have done from the start.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

cerranoredux wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:19 pmHad it while I was at a poker game a few weeks ago and was going to give it another go. New neighbors just moved in from Maplewood and they thought it was pretty good. We’ve been trying different places since Joes summit closed so we’re putting this on the list.
Interesting. I’ve found them super hit or miss and have (perhaps wrongly) considered them a place that exists just to serve the high school. I probably owe them another shot.

Arturos is our good fancy one (it’s essentially Razza in JC but the partners split) and I’d pick Village Trat as the best traditional now that I’ve left Roman because the owner didn’t mask early in COVID. Reservoir is good jersey pan or whatever it’s called here. Sabatino’s is walking distance from the place you’re getting and is a nice middle of Arturo’s and traditional.

And one of those did the weird double half move tonight!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

You guys have gone so hyper-local I'm lost and I live 15-20 minutes away!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

How close are y'all to the turnpike?
According to Fred Tackett, "We were driving down the New Jersey Turnpike in this bus and we stopped at this pizza joint off the highway. Everybody in the band shared a cheese pizza but Lowell bought a large pizza with everything on it, carried it to the back of the bus, and he ate the entire pizza by himself. He died two or three days later. So, when people ask me, 'What really killed Lowell?' I say, 'It was a pizza on the New Jersey Turnpike.'"
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:17 am How close are y'all to the turnpike?
According to Fred Tackett, "We were driving down the New Jersey Turnpike in this bus and we stopped at this pizza joint off the highway. Everybody in the band shared a cheese pizza but Lowell bought a large pizza with everything on it, carried it to the back of the bus, and he ate the entire pizza by himself. He died two or three days later. So, when people ask me, 'What really killed Lowell?' I say, 'It was a pizza on the New Jersey Turnpike.'"
I think everywhere is close to the turnpike.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

fucking sbarro's
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:20 amfucking sbarro's
Your favorite New York slice!

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

apropos of nothing, Sbarro's was a really good option for the dash-to-the-mall-during-open-lunch during high school. May not have been great quality, but it was quite a good deal for a broke student.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Should probably go in the confessions thread but I used to love Sbarro's. I swear something changed in it 4-5 years ago so it's not as good now.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:02 pm
cerranoredux wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:19 pmHad it while I was at a poker game a few weeks ago and was going to give it another go. New neighbors just moved in from Maplewood and they thought it was pretty good. We’ve been trying different places since Joes summit closed so we’re putting this on the list.
Interesting. I’ve found them super hit or miss and have (perhaps wrongly) considered them a place that exists just to serve the high school. I probably owe them another shot.

Arturos is our good fancy one (it’s essentially Razza in JC but the partners split) and I’d pick Village Trat as the best traditional now that I’ve left Roman because the owner didn’t mask early in COVID. Reservoir is good jersey pan or whatever it’s called here. Sabatino’s is walking distance from the place you’re getting and is a nice middle of Arturo’s and traditional.

And one of those did the weird double half move tonight!!!
I know Arturo’s should be on that list for us but we’re gonna try to go for lunch at some point. We liked Village Trat but DoorDash ups the prices on pies that are already expensive (but good and good apps too.). Never had Resevoir pizza, only did their pasta specials because they give you like 5 lbs on a Monday or Tuesday night and we’d eat it for at least 2 more days. Haven’t been there in forever.

Also gotta have more Glendale soon but I wait until I’m hanging in Union for that one.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:31 pm Should probably go in the confessions thread but I used to love Sbarro's. I swear something changed in it 4-5 years ago so it's not as good now.
I vote for moving this to the confessions thread, but I haven't had Sbarro's since high school, so I shouldn't comment. There was a Sbarro's a block away from my office when I worked in NYC around the time the Office was on, and I loved that scene so much. We used to eat at a place next to Sbarro's and my coworker always jokingly asked to go Sbarro's, so when that episode came out, it was perfect.

My daughter has been asking to try Domino's for years. Somehow, there is one in my town that hasn't gone out of business despite several great pizza places. I'm convinced it has to be a mafia front, there is no way they do enough business to stay open. My daughter spent the day with my inlaws earlier this week and came home with some leftover pizza. She made me try a slice to compare pizza in the in-laws town to ours, but she wouldn't tell me where it was from. It looked disgusting in a familiar way, and I should have realized where it was from. I've heard they changed the recipe and it's much better now. The sauce and cheese are definitely better, but still really bad. Crust was how I remember it. I'd say most brands of frozen microwaveable pizza are better.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My big issue with all chain pizza places (including Dominos) is the the first ingredient seems to be salt.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:23 pm My big issue with all chain pizza places (including Dominos) is the the first ingredient seems to be salt.
Mine is "too much fucking dough."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I grew up eating Little Caeser's and Dominos... Volume!!

I appreciate a good pizza, but much like with beer, if it's Coors Light kind of day at the beach, I'm not standing on principle. If I roll up on an office party and Papa John's is on display, Imma eat that slice.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sounds like you might really enjoy this:

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:23 pm My big issue with all chain pizza places (including Dominos) is the the first ingredient seems to be salt.
Pizza Pizza is just about the biggest chain in Ontario.

Notorious for having "cheese" that technically is not cheese.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:14 pm I grew up eating Little Caeser's and Dominos... Volume!!

I appreciate a good pizza, but much like with beer, if it's Coors Light kind of day at the beach, I'm not standing on principle. If I roll up on an office party and Papa John's is on display, Imma eat that slice.
I'm sure I've said this before, but just as with sex, there's no such thing as bad pizza.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:59 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:14 pm I grew up eating Little Caeser's and Dominos... Volume!!

I'm sure I've said this before, but just as with sex, there's no such thing as bad pizza.
You are a lucky man.

Experience has taught me that you are wrong on both counts.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt3 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:07 pm

You are a lucky man.

To be fair, I've certainly had sex and pizza I've regretted. But it's always good at the time.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:14 pm

You are a lucky man.

To be fair, I've certainly had sex and pizza I've regretted. But it's always good at the time.
Maybe try them separately next time.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I’ve long grown out of dominos but it’s better than fucking microwave pizza, no doubt.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

You are a lucky man.

I’m in agreement with Mr. Puppy Copaganda.

Now I will say that even a bad chocolate brownie is good. Even the bad ones you can sprinkle on some salt and they’ll ne a passable treat.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:39 pm I’ve long grown out of dominos but it’s better than fucking microwave pizza, no doubt.
Because its usually softer or because it cools off in the car?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Microwave pizza eats a bag of dicks. I am team rass
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The ones meant for your oven, like a Screamin Sicilian, or even the DiGiorno's Rising Crust pies are way better than Dominos or Papa Johns.

Maybe the oven-baked Stouffers french bread are on par with the Dominos or Papa Johns...
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oooo … I’d eat a stouffer’s 4 cheese right now.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

TJs has a couple of frozen pizzas I’d go so far as to call really good. Just don’t cook them in the microwave.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I haven't had Papa Murphy's in a while, but the fact that there's a company for 'take and bake' pizza still puzzles me.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:25 pm TJs has a couple of frozen pizzas I’d go so far as to call really good. Just don’t cook them in the microwave.
I like how some pizzas that, in addition to giving you baking instructions in a conventional oven, go so far as include microwave instructions (with a "Not Recommended" in parentheses underneath the heading).
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Lays stacks original and two drops of hot sauce. Try it.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DiGiorno's and a number of other frozen pizzas are pretty good.

I've never microwaved a pizza and ignored that post as being frivolous and inflammatory.

Sorry, been watching too much of the Alex Jones trial.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I kind of like the Costco frozen pizza, cooked on the grill (indirect heat).
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This thread reminds me that the Instagram algorithm really bombards me with food related accounts.

And all of the videos are like a minute long with the recipe either in the description or via a website.

I really, really love that social media completely invalidated Food Network shows that were 30+ plus minutes long and were nothing but the chef reveling in self-satisfaction more than anything.

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Papa Murphy's has some very good specialty pizzas and ranks ahead of some chain pizzas, especially when they run specials

the best frozen pizza we've found so far is the detroit-style deep dish that costco sells. that stuff is great, especially at like $6 a pizza or whatever
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:12 pmthe best frozen pizza we've found so far is the detroit-style deep dish that costco sells. that stuff is great, especially at like $6 a pizza or whatever
Noting this for the next Costco run. There's a Detroit style pizza place here called Transplant. But it couldn't hold a candle to the Detroit style place called Descendant that I had in Canada so I haven't been back.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is Corey B. (stupid face guy in the 1st instragram post) also a DJ? If so, I heard ~3:00 of him playing in NOLA and then we sent text jokes about him for the next 6 months.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sadstupidface.jpg
sadstupidface.jpg (22.96 KiB) Viewed 178 times
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

my son had friends over last night --
friends.
like 30+ teens, mostly boys.
they ordered pizza.
one of the local joints got the order - but from what i heard, it was a close win over Papa John's. i was like. no. local or nothing.
never had Papa John's.