To the extent it comes up: Trump crap post-WH years

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: To the extent it comes up: Trump crap post-WH years

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:27 am I think some of you guys are massively downplaying/ignoring the fact that his legal team is a fucking clown car driving to a shit show. The legal brief posted on here is being roundly criticized and pilloried by every legal observer on the planet for being super-duper fucking stupid.

And the Trump-appointed judge shot back what is essentially a WTF? Do better or take your asses out of of my sight type of ruling/asking for clarification yesterday.

The DoJ is going to wipe the mat with these idiots. I don't care if some Trumper somehow gets on a jury, these idiots (lawyers) are so incompetent it's just not going to matter.
The standard for lawyers is way lower than you would think. Spend two hours in a courtroom and you'll see a couple guys that don't know client name, don't know what kind of case it is, don't have required paperwork. Embarrassing really. But can you identify that guy in a 20 min conversation before you hand him a few stacks?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:38 amI don't care who he fucked with along the way, all the 3 Letter orgs aren't doing shit to him. They just fucking aren't.
Unless he makes them MLK mad.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Comparatively, yes.

But America needs a visual of the crime being committed in order for it to affect them.

See, I can tell you that Ray Rice beat up his wife in an elevator and it's "Oh damn, that's tough. Sucks for her."

But when America actually saw what happened in the elevator? It was a national firestorm.

So sure, I agree, but until it hits the national psyche it's all meh to everyone.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:59 am I mean -- when you put it that way...

I wish Dash Dobrofsky wasn't so fucking unlikeable. He comes across so poorly. Every video he posts looks like this:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The spin from the FoxNewsExtendedUniverse right now after the release of the redacted Affidavit is amazing. And not at all connected with reality.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Anyone else working all night tonight? No? Fuck.

In any event...

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Here's the government filing in sum (several tweets worth pasting):

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Am I correct in assuming that Trump's lawyers are in for a whole world of trouble?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt3 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:04 am Am I correct in assuming that Trump's lawyers are in for a whole world of trouble?
Yes. Here’s another thread thread that kicks ass (won’t paste this whole one but it is worth clicking to - here’s the part that answers your query):

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This seems probably right

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

TB, thanks for all these posts. I’m on vacation and not keeping up. This was such a great way to start my morning
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:27 am I think some of you guys are massively downplaying/ignoring the fact that his legal team is a fucking clown car driving to a shit show. The legal brief posted on here is being roundly criticized and pilloried by every legal observer on the planet for being super-duper fucking stupid.

And the Trump-appointed judge shot back what is essentially a WTF? Do better or take your asses out of of my sight type of ruling/asking for clarification yesterday.

The DoJ is going to wipe the mat with these idiots. I don't care if some Trumper somehow gets on a jury, these idiots (lawyers) are so incompetent it's just not going to matter.
Waves hands emoji

ETA - My thing all along is this: When Trump is in the "court of public opinion" he is able to muddy the waters and confuse and agitate his mouthbreating base into a cloud of noise that allows him to squeek out of his messes. The entire Mueller report was (to be fair) a master class in using his position as POTUS to get folks like Barr and his disgusting rabble in Congress to carry his water and bury that thing.

And, all along with these documents, he's been hitting that playbook hard and I think a lot of folks were thinking he was going to get away with it all over again. The reason I went a different direction was that this wasn't in the court of public opinion anymore. This was being driven by a (clearly pissed off) DoJ and FBI. And I've said for years, you fuck with the acronyms this hard, eventually they are going to take you down. When Garland held that presser, that really had me convinced they were going to indict Trump. He'd had enough of Trump's bullshit.

I will say again, Trump will never spend a day in jail. Best case scenario, he's on some sort of probation/house arrest type deal that pretty much just means the Secret Service monitor his travels from Bedminster to NYC to MAL. But he's going to get convicted for obstruction and whatever the legal term for taking/concealing government docs.

He thought he could just lie to the DoJ and FBI with impunity. Well, you can't.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:08 am This seems probably right

It's good to see that you're no more productive than I am when I work late into the night.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:20 am

Waves hands emoji

ETA - My thing all along is this: When Trump is in the "court of public opinion" he is able to muddy the waters and confuse and agitate his mouthbreating base into a cloud of noise that allows him to squeek out of his messes. The entire Mueller report was (to be fair) a master class in using his position as POTUS to get folks like Barr and his disgusting rabble in Congress to carry his water and bury that thing.

And, all along with these documents, he's been hitting that playbook hard and I think a lot of folks were thinking he was going to get away with it all over again. The reason I went a different direction was that this wasn't in the court of public opinion anymore. This was being driven by a (clearly pissed off) DoJ and FBI. And I've said for years, you fuck with the acronyms this hard, eventually they are going to take you down. When Garland held that presser, that really had me convinced they were going to indict Trump. He'd had enough of Trump's bullshit.

I will say again, Trump will never spend a day in jail. Best case scenario, he's on some sort of probation/house arrest type deal that pretty much just means the Secret Service monitor his travels from Bedminster to NYC to MAL. But he's going to get convicted for obstruction and whatever the legal term for taking/concealing government docs.

I can’t imagine him being allowed to remain free given the national security risk he represents.
Noli Timere Messorem
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:48 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:20 am

Waves hands emoji

I can’t imagine him being allowed to remain free given the national security risk he represents.
If he is convicted, just remove his Secret Service detail. I am sure he would be dead within the next few days. E tu Brute.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I totally agree that he SHOULD go to jail (obvi), I just think it's highly unlikely given zero precedent and the very real threat to country.

I can see some type of plea, where he agrees not to run in 2024 and stops attacking the government. I mean, I'm obviously shooting from the hip with zero legal background.

I just don't see him sitting in some correctional facility at the end of the day. Happy to be proven wrong!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:40 am

It's good to see that you're no more productive than I am when I work late into the night.
It was oxygen I needed at 12:30 am. Stopped at 3:30, am, put a few chairs together for a makeshift cot in the office, and slept for a few hours. Totally refreshed, really...
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:53 am I totally agree that he SHOULD go to jail (obvi), I just think it's highly unlikely given zero precedent and the very real threat to country.

I can see some type of plea, where he agrees not to run in 2024 and stops attacking the government. I mean, I'm obviously shooting from the hip with zero legal background.

I just don't see him sitting in some correctional facility at the end of the day. Happy to be proven wrong!
Trump may have already sold top secret materials. There’s an investigation into whether or not his compromising human sources have cost lives. He literally tried to end the USA on January 6th, 2021. Also, I’m not sure it’d ever be in the United States’ best interest to enter into an agreement with Donald Trump.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Apropos of nothing, I have been watching the Colosseum doc series on The History Channel (which includes commentary by Swamp favorite podcaster Patrick Wyman from The Fall of Rome and The Tides of History). Anyway, last episode focused on Commodus, the real-life Roman Emperor played by Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator. And that movie really whitewashed how horrific he was.

Here are some of the things Commodus did:
* he made deals with the invading Germanic tribes who later made further incursions into Imperial territory
* he promoted himself as a leader for the people and gave them games but not leadership
* he made enemies with the establishment in Roman government
* he sicced the Praetorian Guards on his new enemies (in his defense, it was after an assassination attempt)
* he absconded to his villa (which he stole from a Senator he had executed) outside the capital for significant amounts of time
* he completely ignored a health crisis (specifically a famine)
* he ignored an infrastructure crisis in faulty water delivery
* he put his freed slave who had no experience in government in charge of the day-to-day operations when he was away in his villa
* he surrounded himself with yes-men and hangers-on instead of competent advisors
* he fought in the arena as a gladiator, invoking Hercules, an admittedly flawed hero, much to the dismay of the aristocracy who saw it as debasing. Gladiators were viewed as the lowest of the low in society, functionally lower than slaves.

It's really uncanny how history repeats. If only Trump's personal trainer was alone in the same room as him while he was bathing...
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:53 amI can see some type of plea, where he agrees not to run in 2024 and stops attacking the government.
While those seem like logical terms, I don't think DOJ could ask for things like this. DOJ/Biden are already facing claims that they're engaging in "election interference"; so I don't think they could say "we'll be more lenient if you agree not to run again and stop criticizing Biden." I don't think DOJ could even bring those up in plea negotiations.

If there is any sentence of confinement, it would probably have to be house arrest, since he's still entitled to Secret Service protection as a former president.

Anyway, to me, the shocking revelation from the DOJ filing is that they are called "Redweld" folders. I've always thought they were "redwells".
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, Steve, that's where I'm at and what I'm reading/hearing in terms of options and likely scenarios.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The idea that someone could hold public office, break the law weekly and continue to break the law beyond the end of their term (possibly including selling US secrets to other countries!) then simply plea down to "I won't run for office again" would probably set a bad precedent, no?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The newly reimagined "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Complete Bumbling Idiot" is a must watch!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:10 pm The idea that someone could hold public office, break the law weekly and continue to break the law beyond the end of their term (possibly including selling US secrets to other countries!) then simply plea down to "I won't run for office again" would probably set a bad precedent, no?
Absolutely. He should go to jail.

I guess I'm just hedging a little because *waves hands at 1/3 of the populace that worships him as a cult leader*

He should 1000 percent be incarcerated, whether he sold this shit or not.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I predict it will be house arrest.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:17 pm I predict it will be house arrest.
This is as far as I could imagine it going. However, I hope there's some kind of social media/visitors ban included.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:55 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:10 pm The idea that someone could hold public office, break the law weekly and continue to break the law beyond the end of their term (possibly including selling US secrets to other countries!) then simply plea down to "I won't run for office again" would probably set a bad precedent, no?
Absolutely. He should go to jail.

I guess I'm just hedging a little because *waves hands at 1/3 of the populace that worships him as a cult leader*

He should 1000 percent be incarcerated, whether he sold this shit or not.
It is mother fucking treason. Fuck jail time, execute the mother fucker. Then that 1/3 (although it will be less) can come after the government and we can just kill all them fuckers too. Nothing like a good ole civil war to thin the herd.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The treason seems difficult to prove without someone on the other side either leaking or corroborating. Or someone within that knew what happened and comes out with it. I see both very unlikely, so Al Capone, Presidential edition is probably best case.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:53 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:40 am

It was oxygen I needed at 12:30 am. Stopped at 3:30, am, put a few chairs together for a makeshift cot in the office, and slept for a few hours. Totally refreshed, really...
So it’s not just engineers in manufacturing that have to do that on occasion…
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The only thing better than normal bengal is sleep deprived bengal. Well, maybe toss a bottle of red wine into the equation just to see what happens, as a treat.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:53 am I can see some type of plea, where he agrees not to run in 2024 and stops attacking the government. I mean, I'm obviously shooting from the hip with zero legal background.
Any plea type of deal would require Trump to admit to doing something wrong...and there's no chance in hell he will ever do that.

My bet would be that they've already got the indictments already written up, and that the DOJ is sitting on them until after election day in November.