The Walking Dead Thread Walks Again

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: The Walking Dead Thread Walks Again

Post by rass »

That pretty much qualified as a happy ending for this show.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Great episode, until the last 4 minutes. I thought they were going to shoot Carl, slam the trailer door closed and have a black screen with Rick screaming.

Weak.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bfj wrote:Great episode, until the last 4 minutes. I thought they were going to shoot Carl, slam the trailer door closed and have a black screen with Rick screaming.

Weak.
AMC should have just paid whatever fine would have been necessary to let Rick drop the unspoken f-bomb at the end. Cheap bastards.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

"They're gonna feel pretty stupid when they find out."

Rick's back, baby.

Oh and fuck Maggie. How about showing a modicum of concern for your sister?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

With all the buildup, I was really hoping that last line would be better than "we're badasses."

Wouldn't cannibalism be risky where everyone carries a disease that can be transmitted from bites and scratches? I guess you'd have to kill your dinner when he or she is still human.
Jerloma wrote:Oh and fuck Maggie.
OK. Even in a trailer full of smelly people.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Jerloma wrote:Oh and fuck Maggie. How about showing a modicum of concern for your sister?
Maybe she already knew Beth's fate (lunch?) I couldn't tell who was present and who was missing inside the container.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:Oh and fuck Maggie. How about showing a modicum of concern for your sister?
I don't think Maggie knew Beth was with Daryl, so if they wanted to show us that Maggie was worried about her sister, it should have been before last night's episode. If Beth ever sees those "GLENN GO TO TERMINUS, LOVE MAGGIE" signs she'll certainly have every right to be hurt.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Same group...Glen, Maggie, Sasha, Bob, Lesbian, Ginger Goatee, Science Mullet, and Lara Croft.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Did anyone see Talking Dead after? That threw me more than the first time I heard Brody talk in real life.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:Did anyone see Talking Dead after? That threw me more than the first time I heard Brody talk in real life.
Rick? If so, congrats on avoiding Love Actually.

Not that he actually talks in that clip.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I have managed to avoid that actually and also forgot how fucking DDG Keira Knightley is.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Jerloma wrote:Did anyone see Talking Dead after? That threw me more than the first time I heard Brody talk in real life.
Maggie is Australian
Governor is British
Morgan is British
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

bfj wrote:
Maggie is Australian
Governor is British
Morgan is British
I knew the Governor was British because he was in Doctor Who. Maggie, I'm not surprised because she seems to over-do that drawl. Rick just nails it though.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Lauren Cohan isn't an Aussie. Born in New Jersey, raised in England, London I think.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

bfj wrote:Great episode, until the last 4 minutes. I thought they were going to shoot Carl, slam the trailer door closed and have a black screen with Rick screaming.

Weak.
Exactly what I was expecting. Didn't seem like much of a cliff hanger corralling them into a train car. plus the shots missing them went on way too long. i would have realized what was going on by the candle room and stayed there with weapons.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A great angle:

'Walking Dead': Revisiting the Final Scene
In the scene, as the snipers are shooting at the feet of Rick and Daryl, etc., …it then becomes clear that the shooters are missing on purpose. They're not trying to kill, they're trying to herd. It was the start of something that became really something to behold, not only for the execution itself but for the level of detail and research that went into it.

If you research how cattle are killed, the optimum approach is to have them take a series of corner turns before getting close -- if they see they’re being led to slaughter, chaos ensues. The camera follows Rick and company in a circular route through Terminus until they get out into the clearing.

Cattle are also, as they near slaughter, guided in single file -- something Gareth did meticulously with each character, leading them to the railroad/cattle car in the short distance. There is also a “correct handler position for driving cattle” -- and director Michelle MacLaren set up the final scene by positioning Gareth in a perfect, textbook handler position.

Proper handling procedures also indicate that calves go last (or, if you will, parents go first -- reversing it causes panic and a chance the cattle will disperse). And lastly, what the scene captured in a kind of haunting by-the-book approach, is that cattle go forward in a single-file line but shouldn’t actually see livestock in front of them -- which is why Glenn and Maggie and the others were shunted to the rear of the car.
I hope Temple Grandin approves.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

I thought the most chilling part of the trap was the corridor where the walls and cars and everything in it was riddled with bullet marks. Apparently you can hear screams for help coming from some of the containers, but I missed that. Will have to re-watch.

I also loved the way they did the little trust building exercise in having the group lay out their weapons, then return them fully. New group now trusts you, and you have inventory of what they're carrying.

My biggest beef with the episode was that Michonne, by all rights, should have been shot the moment she tried and failed to disarm Ed. No way he just pushes her back down and goes back to aiming. By that point Rick and Joe are full on brawling, and Dan was trying to get his rape on.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Well yeah but after Rick head-butted Joe in the stomach, in non-TV world, Joe would have just shot him. Not hugged him.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

howard wrote:Lauren Cohan isn't an Aussie. Born in New Jersey, raised in England, London I think.
The good doctor is correct. She was on Craig Ferguson last week twice since another guest was sick and they talked a ton about London.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Bensell wrote:
howard wrote:Lauren Cohan isn't an Aussie. Born in New Jersey, raised in England, London I think.
The good doctor is correct. She was on Craig Ferguson last week twice since another guest was sick and they talked a ton about London.
You can agree or disagree with my opinion pieces. But I know my Maggie; bet against me at your peril.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I watched a couple of nights ago. On reflection, that was a pretty interesting episode. It was obvious, of course, that Terminus was not going to be a nice place, but the herding was pretty cool. Granted, it was a huge waste of bullets, but it made for cool TV. Did I correctly see a pen full of fresh bones and meat - rib cages and shit - while they were running around?

In hindsight, it was pretty fucking stupid of Rick (again) to jump the guy in Terminus. Did Rick really think they only had like 4 or 5 people there? I mean, in an extremely dangerous world, they were inviting any and all people from many miles around. Clearly, they knew what they were doing and were able to handle very dangerous groups, like the dudes Rick and company had just killed. So, how was pulling a gun on that guy EVER going to work?

Similarly, probably not to bright of the Terminus folks to put so many people in the same boxcar. Especially when Rick and Co made it pretty clear that they knew and cared for the people already in there.
Totally Kafkaesque
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Shirley wrote:I watched a couple of nights ago. On reflection, that was a pretty interesting episode. It was obvious, of course, that Terminus was not going to be a nice place, but the herding was pretty cool. Granted, it was a huge waste of bullets, but it made for cool TV. Did I correctly see a pen full of fresh bones and meat - rib cages and shit - while they were running around?

In hindsight, it was pretty fucking stupid of Rick (again) to jump the guy in Terminus. Did Rick really think they only had like 4 or 5 people there? I mean, in an extremely dangerous world, they were inviting any and all people from many miles around. Clearly, they knew what they were doing and were able to handle very dangerous groups, like the dudes Rick and company had just killed. So, how was pulling a gun on that guy EVER going to work?

Similarly, probably not to bright of the Terminus folks to put so many people in the same boxcar. Especially when Rick and Co made it pretty clear that they knew and cared for the people already in there.
Yes, there was an entire cage of body parts that they ran past.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Season 5 trailer. (It's a little spoilish)

phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

We've been binge watching this after binge watching all of Breaking Bad, just catching up last night. We almost gave up after a slow and boring Season 2 (and that's all the DVDs we had), but AMC ran the rest of the series on the 4th of July weekend. It did pick up from after Season 2, and I'm finally past the point where I complain about wasting resources, etc. Glad to see I wasn't the only one bothered by that.

Looking forward to finally reading this thread.