Friday Discussion: Your Personal Brand Loyalties

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Friday Discussion: Your Personal Brand Loyalties

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Like the title says. Which household items (edible or otherwise) do you regularly buy the same brand of?

Mine:
Tide detergent
Cascade dishwashing liquid
Crest toothpaste
Cottonelle tissue
Bounty paper towels
Dial soap
Land-o-Lakes butter
Dr. Pepper
Polar Seltzer

Probably more that I'll remember later...
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Friday Discussion: Your Personal Brand Loyalties

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This would take me a very long time because most everything I have/buy falls into a mental category and any deviation is noticeable.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:37 pm This would take me a very long time because most everything I have/buy falls into a mental category and any deviation is noticeable.
Just say Hellman's again
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I’d have to think, but I always get Mizuno Wave Runners for my running shoes. By coincidence, my newest ones came in yesterday. Check out these sweet bastards:

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I don't think I have any brand loyalties. Plenty of boycotts though!
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:44 pmJust say Hellman's again
One of four(?) food items I don't buy at Whole Foods. Technically three until I can find Nathan's ballpark mustard in stores again.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

OnePlus
T-Mobile
LG
Hyundai
Kirkland Brand things
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:50 pm I don't think I have any brand loyalties. Plenty of boycotts though!
So if you're buying dried pasta and a jar of sauce, it could be any combination of any brands on the shelf?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:28 pm
Jerloma wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:50 pm I don't think I have any brand loyalties. Plenty of boycotts though!
So if you're buying dried pasta and a jar of sauce, it could be any combination of any brands on the shelf?
Which one has the little thing below it indicating it's on sale? That's my personal brand loyalty!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Giff wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:31 pm
Which one has the little thing below it indicating it's on sale? That's my personal brand loyalty!
Same! Although Ragu is the cheapest but it's shit. I usually get some two-fer deal on Paul Newman.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, I have a tad bit of standards as well. Classico is our go-to.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

~ Ecco golf / casual / sandals
~ My wardrobe has turned into a battle between Territory Ahead vs Tommy Bahama.
~ Apparently Samsung appliances
~ I'm a Mac guy, but honestly I'd like to give up my iPhone for a quality, less expensive flip phone. Razr comes close, but not quite.
~ I was an Intellivision kid and then went Nintendo, SNES. Pretty sure I never owned a Sega, but I played the crap out of it in my early 20s. Mid 90s I bought a Playstation and never once bought an Xbox (I'm still on a PS4. Not sure I'll buy a PS5)...
~ 7up blows away Sprite
~ Dr Pepper is better than any cola ever
~ My latest devotion is apparently Justin's naturally delicious classic peanut butter.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:04 pm
Giff wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:31 pm
Same! Although Ragu is the cheapest but it's shit. I usually get some two-fer deal on Paul Newman.
Same. I get points from the wife cuz proceeds go to charity. Newman all the way.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'd say I have habits more than brand loyalty, especially if we're just talking grocery stuff. I make enough money to not have to buy the cheap shit for the most part, but I am partial to a sale if there's a choice.

Otherwise, stuff like Apple for phones is much more convenience (and making it easier on my wife) than a deep love for Apple. Although I do think they overall have a better system than Android.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:33 pm I'd say I have habits more than brand loyalty, especially if we're just talking grocery stuff. I make enough money to not have to buy the cheap shit for the most part, but I am partial to a sale if there's a choice.

Otherwise, stuff like Apple for phones is much more convenience (and making it easier on my wife) than a deep love for Apple. Although I do think they overall have a better system than Android.
This sums me up. To Mister D's pasta sauce question, I don't use sauce that much, but I always look for something new, or an expensive brand on sale. I prefer variety. While I have preferences in brands, I wouldn't say I'm particularly loyal to any.

Reading through the 2006 thread, I want to know if Johnnie's loyalties have changed
by Johnnie » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:29 am

I go with:

Reese's Peanut Butter (and Jif if there is none of that around)
Ecko Clothing
Cape Cod potato chips
Dunkin Donuts coffee (Good Call Timgod99!! I don't even drink coffee otherwise)
All detergent
American Crew hair gel
Patron tequila
Samuel Adams beer (when I buy beer. otherwise I drink what's offered)
Doc Marten shoes (though Bed Stu & Diesel are creeping)
Nokia, Motorola, Sony cell phones
Marshall's dept stores
Kodak cameras

That is all I can think of for right now. I am sure there are more.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm always tempted to try Rao's but then I can't justify spending 9 bucks on a jar of sauce unless it's laced with meth.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Kroger will every once in a while have it like 1/2 off.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:03 pm
Reading through the 2006 thread, I want to know if Johnnie's loyalties have changed
by Johnnie » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:29 am

I go with:

Reese's Peanut Butter (and Jif if there is none of that around)
Ecko Clothing
Cape Cod potato chips
Dunkin Donuts coffee (Good Call Timgod99!! I don't even drink coffee otherwise)
All detergent
American Crew hair gel
Patron tequila
Samuel Adams beer (when I buy beer. otherwise I drink what's offered)
Doc Marten shoes (though Bed Stu & Diesel are creeping)
Nokia, Motorola, Sony cell phones
Marshall's dept stores
Kodak cameras

That is all I can think of for right now. I am sure there are more.
Oh snap! Let's see...

Peanut Butter - JIF, if there's no Kirkland's/Justin's. Reese's Peanut Butter cups are still king - but not their jarred stuff.

Clothes - Noooope. No Ecko. Donated all of that. Actually bought some clothes from the Goodwill the other day for cheap. Sundays and Mondays are 20% off for military/veterans.

Chips - Yes, to Cape Cod when I do buy them. But Doritos Sweet and Spicy are awesome as well.

Coffee - Yup to Dunkin Donuts. However, coffee is so damn ubiquitous that the local spot is my go-to if no Dunks exists.

Detergent - Tide. But I also use those in-wash scent booster pebbles. Haven't become loyal to a brand yet.

Hair gel - none. Haven't used hair gel in a long, long time.

Tequila - I'm not picky here. Patron is ok, but no longer loyal to the brand.

Beer - Sam Adams only in Boston. Like coffee, there are so many local places it's tough to be loyal to one exclusively.

Shoes - No loyalty here anymore. I have a pair of Docs, but I have other dress shoes too. For running, it's Nike though.

Cell Phone - OnePlus, as mentioned. 2006 is pre smart phone. Android is my platform. Since 2006 I've had Nokia, Motorola, LG, Google, and OnePlus Androids. My next phone? No clue. Could be a Google Pixel or a Nothing phone. Just a big no go on Apple.

Dept store - I don't have loyalty to Marshall's. Kohl's, TJ MAXX, and those places are all similar. And the Goodwill is even cheaper.

Cameras - Not a photographer at all. Kodak was what seemed to always be good until smartphones came along.

That was fun. 2006 was before the large explosion of social media and the way it has caused us to be warped around it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I know I've talked about it here before, but most everything I have is a duplicate and everything in the genre comes from the same place without exception. All my flannels are the same brand/style, hoodies are all the same store, sweats/athletic shorts all the same brand and just the same thing in every color, pants same store and sizing, sneakers and shoes all have siblings, etc. I assume that's some sort of thing.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:46 pm I know I've talked about it here before, but most everything I have is a duplicate and everything in the genre comes from the same place without exception. All my flannels are the same brand/style, hoodies are all the same store, sweats/athletic shorts all the same brand and just the same thing in every color, pants same store and sizing, sneakers and shoes all have siblings, etc. I assume that's some sort of thing.
What are your feelings about your wife’s sister?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:46 pm I know I've talked about it here before, but most everything I have is a duplicate and everything in the genre comes from the same place without exception. All my flannels are the same brand/style, hoodies are all the same store, sweats/athletic shorts all the same brand and just the same thing in every color, pants same store and sizing, sneakers and shoes all have siblings, etc. I assume that's some sort of thing.
Sounds like a neurodiversity thing to me. Sneakers, I usually have one pair I wear every day until they start falling apart and become my yardwork shoes, at which time I throw away the former yardword shoes.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:07 pm I'm always tempted to try Rao's but then I can't justify spending 9 bucks on a jar of sauce unless it's laced with meth.
It's so weird to me seeing Rao's sauce and frozen dinners in stores. A college friend told me about going there with a friend whose father "owned' a table at the restaurant. It's a tiny restaurant and most of the tables are permanently reserved for regular customers so it's impossible to get in. I buy the sauce on occasion, as it is frequently $3 or $4 off. I think the open jar currently in my fridge is Rao's mushroom and pepper. It's better than most national brands. I've had their frozen chicken parm and it's actually good (for a frozen dinner), but the lasagna wasn't good.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

There's a local family-owned grocer here that makes and sells their own pasta sauce. It is unequivocally the best sauce I've every tasted. But, it is also too frickin' expensive. But, a lot of times, they run a special where you get a free container of fresh pasta if you buy a jar of sauce. That's the only time we buy it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:24 pm
Jerloma wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:07 pm I'm always tempted to try Rao's but then I can't justify spending 9 bucks on a jar of sauce unless it's laced with meth.
It's so weird to me seeing Rao's sauce and frozen dinners in stores. A college friend told me about going there with a friend whose father "owned' a table at the restaurant. It's a tiny restaurant and most of the tables are permanently reserved for regular customers so it's impossible to get in. I buy the sauce on occasion, as it is frequently $3 or $4 off. I think the open jar currently in my fridge is Rao's mushroom and pepper. It's better than most national brands. I've had their frozen chicken parm and it's actually good (for a frozen dinner), but the lasagna wasn't good.
When in the sauce aisle at the store, Rao's is on the top shelf and is routinely over $11 (bougie Safeway) and Ragu is on the bottom shelf and routinely $3.

I end up with Classico or Newman's in the $4-$5 range. I'm not spending $11 on jarred pasta sauce. Fuck that.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:17 pm OnePlus
T-Mobile
LG
Hyundai
Kirkland Brand things
You’d rethink T-Mobile in me area. We switched and the network is not as good as ATT. But we also saved 70 a month so it’s good.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Aaarggghhh.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Leprechaun ass motherfucker.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Heinz ketchup
Skippy peanut butter
Kerrygold butter
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Heinz ketchup and Kerrygold butter for sure.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:22 pm
Johnnie wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:17 pm OnePlus
T-Mobile
LG
Hyundai
Kirkland Brand things
You’d rethink T-Mobile in me area. We switched and the network is not as good as ATT. But we also saved 70 a month so it’s good.
I was with AT&T since '99 until 2018 when T Mobile had an awesome military plan and I switched. Then I added a line for my wife and got Netflix for free.

And in the meantime I've used MLB TV for free and a free year of Paramount+ that expires soon.

Far more benefits and a cheaper bill.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The only ones I can think of are:
  • Sneakers: Adidas
  • Outerwear: Patagonia
  • Drip Coffee: Peets - No Starbucks in my house. Fuck Howard Schultz (and David Stern, Greg Nichols, and Clay Bennett)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

qtips
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:09 am The only ones I can think of are:
  • Drip Coffee: Peets - No Starbucks in my house. Fuck Howard Schultz (and David Stern, Greg Nichols, and Clay Bennett)
Patagonia stuff really is made well and they seem to be one of the few companies that actually gives a fuck about the earth. I endorse!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:10 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:09 am The only ones I can think of are:
Patagonia stuff really is made well and they seem to be one of the few companies that actually gives a fuck about the earth. I endorse!
I have pieces of Patagonia stuff that are close to 20 years old that I still wear. Stuff lasts forever.

I should have added another one:
  • Water Bottles: Hydroflask
But that's because my GF's daughter gives us so much of it for free.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:01 pm
It's funny, I couldn't come up with a single brand that I am a real die hard for. In many categories, there are 2 or 3 or 4 brands I'll buy. Which Toilet Paper? Which of the 4 are on sale.

But when I smoked, I was a die hard duMaurier man.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pert shampoo
Dove body wash
Secret deodorant (strong enough for a man)
Crest toothpaste
Tide detergent

Starbucks Ice Coffee

Skippy Chunky pb
Utz potato chips

Marlboro reds when I smoked
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.