Podcasts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Podcasts

Post by brian »

Craig Finn has a new podcast (That’s How I Remember It) adv the first guest is Patterson Hood.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:34 pm Craig Finn has a new podcast (That’s How I Remember It) adv the first guest is Patterson Hood.
May give this a listen

ETA: Holy shit this really adds nothing to the conversation. I gotta get back in the office.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:08 am Really enjoying 544 Days. A podcast by Jason Rezaian, a Washington Post Iran correspondent who was arrested, along with his wife, under suspicion of being a CIA agent and held in an Iranian prison for 544 days. He is a fantastic storyteller and intersperses interviews with various people and news clips about his story. It's amazing how he sounds upbeat and almost joking about some horrific aspects of being held in solitary confinement and mentally tortured for months.
Bump. Went back through this thread and saw this and listened to 4 episodes today. Very engaging having Rezaian hosting with his wife on a lot of the first 4 episodes. I’m hooked and really looking forward to listening to the rest. Thanks SYB.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerranoredux wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:37 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:08 am Really enjoying 544 Days. A podcast by Jason Rezaian, a Washington Post Iran correspondent who was arrested, along with his wife, under suspicion of being a CIA agent and held in an Iranian prison for 544 days. He is a fantastic storyteller and intersperses interviews with various people and news clips about his story. It's amazing how he sounds upbeat and almost joking about some horrific aspects of being held in solitary confinement and mentally tortured for months.
Bump. Went back through this thread and saw this and listened to 4 episodes today. Very engaging having Rezaian hosting with his wife on a lot of the first 4 episodes. I’m hooked and really looking forward to listening to the rest. Thanks SYB.
I also recommend reading or listening to his book. Much more detailed. He read the audiobook, which added to my enjoyment. Then follow it up with Ben Rhodes' memoir "The World as it Is." Rhodes was former Obama era Deputy National Security Advisor and did a lot of the negotiating to get Rezaian out. The entire book was fantastic, but I happened to read it shortly after listening to this podcast and reading Rezaian's book, and hearing it from Rhodes' perspective was pretty fascinating.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

If there are any fans of The Wire. HBO is celebrating the 20th anniversary of the show with a podcast. Hosted by Method Man, pretty good and entertaining.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 1626527232
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

22 Goals.
Host Brian Phillips unfolds the surprising history of the World Cup through the stories of 22 of the most important goals ever scored in the world’s greatest sporting event.
https://www.theringer.com/2022/8/3/2329 ... g-22-goals
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I started listening to that today. So far so good.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Does anyone still listen to the Men In Blazers? I'm wondering because I'm pretty close to dropping it from my rotation...the amount of ads that they insert now they've hooked up with a new hosting company (Wondery) is ridiculous.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:28 pm Does anyone still listen to the Men In Blazers? I'm wondering because I'm pretty close to dropping it from my rotation...the amount of ads that they insert now they've hooked up with a new hosting company (Wondery) is ridiculous.
sometimes...but I am also not losing sleep if I miss an episode
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Usually just the weekend recaps in-season. And usually only as long as my Monday run lasts.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:02 pm 22 Goals.
Host Brian Phillips unfolds the surprising history of the World Cup through the stories of 22 of the most important goals ever scored in the world’s greatest sporting event.
https://www.theringer.com/2022/8/3/2329 ... g-22-goals
Excited for this one.

Fittingly, the first one is on Maradona.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Same
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:05 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:28 pm Does anyone still listen to the Men In Blazers? I'm wondering because I'm pretty close to dropping it from my rotation...the amount of ads that they insert now they've hooked up with a new hosting company (Wondery) is ridiculous.
sometimes...but I am also not losing sleep if I miss an episode
oh but that being said the 1-1 interviews (Matt Turner and Tyler Adams series were great and prioritized on the playlist).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I still listen, fast forward the ads. I don't listen to all of their ancillary podcasts, they are going overboard. I listened to a couple of the Women's Game episodes, maybe one of the European Nights. I don't do any of the live discussion episodes, and I haven't watched their show since it moved to Peacock. I really enjoy the Tyler Adams series and liked the first episode of States United, interviewing USMNT players. And about half of the Friday Q&A pods. Crap, that is a lot of content!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:39 pm
I still listen, fast forward the ads. I don't listen to all of their ancillary podcasts, they are going overboard. I listened to a couple of the Women's Game episodes, maybe one of the European Nights. I don't do any of the live discussion episodes, and I haven't watched their show since it moved to Peacock. I really enjoy the Tyler Adams series and liked the first episode of States United, interviewing USMNT players. And about half of the Friday Q&A pods. Crap, that is a lot of content!
I enjoyed the European Nights ones...especially the ones with all the backstory on the smaller European teams.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime ... story.html

Finally got a reasonable prosecutor on the Adnan Sayed case. I went back and read the initial discussions and it was kind of fascinating. You can see the split between folks that just listened to Serial, as opposed to those that kept digging with outside sources.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Wow!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Anyone else listen to Your Favorite Band Sucks?
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Giff wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:16 pm Anyone else listen to Your Favorite Band Sucks?
Not yet, but downloading Van Halen sucks as we speak.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I just looked it up and this made me laugh:
By pretty much any metric you want to choose, Van Halen was one of the worst bands of all time. This is the soundtrack to getting dumb, being dumb and staying dumb. Literally every fictional band from a movie about a band made better music than Van Halen. This is the musical equivalent of mixing every color of paint in the store together until you end up with brown instead of just buying brown paint.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

How old are the folks running that podcast? There are lot worse bands from that era than VH. Kind of weird take, IMO.

And I don't even particularly like them all that much.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Is it a satire? Because it seems like you'd almost have to lean into it to be able to make whole episodes that weren't just the same shit over and over about why a band sucks.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:19 am Is it a satire? Because it seems like you'd almost have to lean into it to be able to make whole episodes that weren't just the same shit over and over about why a band sucks.
Some you can tell they probably actually like the band, but there are a lot where the hate is real. Weezer, for instance.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Suddenly I'm intrigued.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, not that I still listened to them all that much, but pretty sure I'll never listen to them again.

No DMB episode yet which surprises me. In fact, the only two times they've even referenced them the comments were either neutral or positive.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I proposed to my wife on a weekend where Weezer's Blue Album was in heavy rotation in our multiple CD player* in the car driving around "wine country" in VA.

Honestly, not really going to apologize for still belting out that entire album on occasion.

* - Tell me you're old without...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brilliant. And Leslie's not wrong.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I don't hate Weezer's original music, but I do hate their whole motif. "Oh, we're really nerds, so we're going to wear glasses and mustaches and cover these songs exactly like the original artist so people will think that we don't get laid and will identify with us." Get the fuck out of here. You guys are musicians. You've gotten more pussy in your life than a cat-breeder.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:26 am I don't hate Weezer's original music, but I do hate their whole motif. "Oh, we're really nerds, so we're going to wear glasses and mustaches and cover these songs exactly like the original artist so people will think that we don't get laid and will identify with us." Get the fuck out of here. You guys are musicians. You've wanted more illegal pussy in your life than a cat-breeder.
FIFY
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Whoa. I never heard that story as I'm not really a fan of theirs.

Now Google is going to send me barely-legal links. Shit.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Just some of his lyrics are very questionable and would make me uncomfortable to listen to them again. One of those where you just sing along or really don't pay attention until they're just read aloud.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:59 am Just some of his lyrics are very questionable and would make me uncomfortable to listen to them again. One of those where you just sing along or really don't pay attention until they're just read aloud.
The "Winger" Conundrum
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean, this could absolutely be another thread.

Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon? Creepy AF.

Don't Stand So Close to Me

I'm sure there are probably dozens and dozens.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Oh for sure. They haven't done a Neil Diamond episode yet, but The Police one is pretty good.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

No one tops Mardones for me, though Gary Puckett takes a very catchy run at it.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Maybe I'm the weird one, but I cannot recall ever feeling turned on by underage girls when I was an adult. In fact, I think the majority of women I've had relationships with (in terms of number, not length of time) have been older than me.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean, Britney Spears is one of many of that ilk that I didn't feel like it was crazy (at the time) because of how she was marketed. In hindsight... fucking gross, but very much par for the course up until fairly recently. Also, with the caveat, it could still be happening, but I'm very much unplugged from the MTV teen scene.

It's gross.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The countdown timer for the Olsen twins utterly turned my stomach.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wonder if anyone is sweating the old skool swamp search right now?