The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by bfj »

Ran up and back to Philly last night to see Phish play at The Mann Center. Great venue, free parking, nice people. Amazing show! Walking back to the car, i realized If there is a national nitrous oxide shortage, I know where it all went.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sharon Van Etten, Angel Olsen, and Julien Baker tomorrow night in Asheville. I've seen Julien 3x, but never the others. Really love the SvE track, Seventeen.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:45 pm Sharon Van Etten, Angel Olsen, and Julien Baker tomorrow night in Asheville. I've seen Julien 3x, but never the others. Really love the SvE track, Seventeen.
That was my #1 song of 2020.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Beach House last night in a 3,000 capacity theatre was spectacular.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:27 pm Beach House last night in a 3,000 capacity theatre was spectacular.
Were they still Jesus and Mary Chain loud?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I found it to be the perfect volume for a band that rarely goes in hard. One of those shows you’d go see again the next night if it were an option.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Got tix to see The Decembrists in Chicago next month. Great band to see live and the venue (Chicago Theater) is about as good as it gets.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:26 pm Got tix to see The Decembrists in Chicago next month. Great band to see live and the venue (Chicago Theater) is about as good as it gets.
I’m also seeing them next month. On the 8th, at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga, CA (awesome outdoor venue!)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:53 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:27 pm Beach House last night in a 3,000 capacity theatre was spectacular.
Were they still Jesus and Mary Chain loud?
3rd loudest act I’ve ever seen. Just behind Dinosaur Jr. and Sugar.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Hates carll and James McMurtry tomorrow. When tickets went on sale it was 130+. Got them for 37 today. Love both of them so looking forward to it. Seen hayes three times I think. First time for McMurtry but if he came out first and played Choctaw bingo and they shut it down I’d call it good.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:49 pm Hates carll and James McMurtry tomorrow. When tickets went on sale it was 130+. Got them for 37 today. Love both of them so looking forward to it. Seen hayes three times I think. First time for McMurtry but if he came out first and played Choctaw bingo and they shut it down I’d call it good.
That sounds great. I've seen Hayes once, and I think I'm going to see McMurtry in October. His latest album has some great songs.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fun show. Had a great time but today may not be as good.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Thanks for the video with the Santa Cruz line!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Have four shows in eight days in three cities coming up starting Thursday:

8/4 - American Aquarium in Houston
8/5 - Murder By Death in Austin
8/6 - Garth Brooks in Houston
8/12 - Vandoliers in Dallas
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:11 am Thanks for the video with the Santa Cruz line!
What did he say about Santa Cruz?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I was thinking 'bout you, crossing Southern Alberta
Canola fields on a July day
About the same chartreuse as that sixty-nine Bug
You used to drive around San Jose
Never knew where my old white Lincoln might take you
Party on wheels with suicide doors
Bring the kids and the dogs and your grandma too
We always had room for more
'Til that white-knuckle ride back from Santa Cruz
Second-best surfer on the central coast
Had you wrapped up all the way back to Los Gatos
And I could've cut his throat
And it wasn't like we were an item to start with
It had no basis in fact
But the whiskey could push me to sudden extremes
I don't wanna think about that, I don't wanna think about that
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Two great Phish shows at Merriweather Post in Columbia. Had a blast in the pit both nights. Feeling it today, but totally worth it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ok. I know that song. Misunderstood what you were referring to.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

FUCK YOU, I WON'T EAT WHAT YOU TELL ME

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Speaking of James McMurtry, Patterson Hood of DBT had some kind words.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BtS tonight! (non-Korean division)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:38 am BtS tonight! (non-Korean division)
I wonder if the band ever has fun with that coincidental acronym. I can just imagine a gaggle of confused teenagers at one of their shows.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:38 am BtS tonight! (non-Korean division)
I know it’s called Jannus Live now, but back when it was Jannus Landing? Man oh man I saw a wide variety of bands down at that venue back in the early 90s. Pretty sure one weekend I saw Skinny Puppy one night and Hot Tuna the next. :lol:

What I loved about that venue was they were imbedded in many music scenes. The problem of course was they were on the other side of the Bay. There were a # of venues that popped up in Ybor that tried to emulate their success (The Ritz, Carmines, and another place whose name escapes me), but they never came close to the success Jannus maintained throughout the 80s and 90s.

Have fun!
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:45 pm
I wonder if the band ever has fun with that coincidental acronym. I can just imagine a gaggle of confused teenagers at one of their shows.
Pretty sure I read something recently that they have had a little fun with it. We're going with another couple, the guy who went to Liverpool with me in May. His initials? B.T.S.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:05 pm
I know it’s called Jannus Live now, but back when it was Jannus Landing? Man oh man I saw a wide variety of bands down at that venue back in the early 90s. Pretty sure one weekend I saw Skinny Puppy one night and Hot Tuna the next. :lol:

What I loved about that venue was they were imbedded in many music scenes. The problem of course was they were on the other side of the Bay. There were a # of venues that popped up in Ybor that tried to emulate their success (The Ritz, Carmines, and another place whose name escapes me), but they never came close to the success Jannus maintained throughout the 80s and 90s.

Have fun!
Been raining all day, but it looks like it'll stop before the show. They really do bring in a wide variety of acts to that venue. Orpheum and New World Brewery were two other good spots to see a show, but they're both out of Ybor now as well.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:07 pm

Have fun!
Been raining all day, but it looks like it'll stop before the show. They really do bring in a wide variety of acts to that venue. Orpheum and New World Brewery were two other good spots to see a show, but they're both out of Ybor now as well.
I feel like we've had this conversation before. Orpheum might've been there when I was still living in Tampa (sounds like it might've been the locale of where there was an early 90s alternative music night club), but New World Brewery hadn't arrived yet by the time I moved out (summer '97).
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:58 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:07 pm

Have fun!
I feel like we've had this conversation before. Orpheum might've been there when I was still living in Tampa (sounds like it might've been the locale of where there was an early 90s alternative music night club), but New World Brewery hadn't arrived yet by the time I moved out (summer '97).
We may have had this convo. New World was off 7th, up near the old Spaghetti Warehouse was and is now Scientology. Maybe on 8th or 9th? It was more a bar than a live music venue, but they had great foosball tables, and would have small acts play on the patio. No raised stage.

Can't remember if New World was there in '97 or not. The Castle is another spot, but that was mostly goth back then.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The gothic arsehole?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m going to pitch a freelance article to Defector about why there aren’t more tours like Spoon/Interpol

(Spoiler: No band wants to be potentially blown off stage by the “opener”. Quotes doing some work there.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I haven’t gone to bed yet which is a largely not good development for me.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:18 pm I’m going to pitch a freelance article to Defector about why there aren’t more tours like Spoon/Interpol

(Spoiler: No band wants to be potentially blown off stage by the “opener”. Quotes doing some work there.
A lot of acts that do this switch back and forth don't they? So sometimes you're the opener sometimes the headliner. Giff thought that tour would come to Railbird, alas they canceled it this year without any kind of an idea on the lineup.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:18 pm I’m going to pitch a freelance article to Defector about why there aren’t more tours like Spoon/Interpol

Curious as to which one was which. I know what I would think, but I'm also biased in that I like one band way more than the other.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

When we went it was Spoon then Interpol, which felt right sound wise, but I think I read they've been switching up.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Spoon opened for Interpol and Spoon wailed, but then Interpol wailed right back. It was an incredible show.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Good to hear! I wish they were coming my way.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can't remember if I said it here or not (and I'm too lazy to search and check), but I went in a little concerned Interpol might be too cool to play at less than their peak but that def wasn't the case. I thought they were better, which I don't think was a majority opinion, but I also like them a lot more.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Over the decades, I've been to a few concerts where the opener was better received by the crowd than the headliner. It's kind of funny to see people streaming for the exits before the headliner even starts (which happened twice that I saw, because the opener had been booked long before the show I assume, and then their star went up while the headliner's did not.)

Separately, it probably takes a strong ego and respect for two bands to do the co-headlining thing together. I remember about 20 years ago, when Drive by Truckers and Son Volt did that, alternating who would go first on a city-by-city basis, and playing about equal-length sets. (Obviously, in retrospect, DBT was the more ascendant band, but at the time they were arguably about equal in fan-drawing strength.)
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan ruin Dire Straits' evening many, many years ago.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

My apartment complex is now probably the safest place in Las Vegas since it’s walled inside the footprint of the Life Is Beautiful festival until Sunday.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

PJ in Camden last night. Great show. They really crushed it for 2 1/2 hours. Wish they had another show but they are doing an abbreviated NA tour. Maybe in 2023 they’ll be back.

Anyway, upthread note. Also in Camden, but 16 years ago, I saw the Allman Brothers and Tom Petty. They’d alternate who the opener was. To see both of them in the same night was awesome. And truthfully, didn’t matter who went on first, you weren’t going to miss any of either set.

https://www.concertarchives.org/concert ... a1ef2e2e88

ETA: link to 2006 show.
oh shit...