Culinary Hot Takes

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Culinary Hot Takes

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:21 pmI just don't understand the appeal of having a chewy bagel when you've got toppings that slide all over the place and drop on the plate/ground.
Ex-fucking-actly. The dumbest part of this it would be very easy to create a bagel roll that solves the issues but people are too locked into existing product + BEC.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

IN my experience of eating east coast bagel sandwiches, this was not a problem at all. I guess it's just the hardscrabble hillbilly in me, not afraid to work for my breakfast.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also not mindin' if yer overalls get a little gunk on 'em.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:47 pm Spent the last week and a half looking forward to the awesome breakfast sandwich on a subpar bagel I plan on eating tomorrow so gonna sit this one out.
Well. How was it?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh my god he hasn't posted this AM.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

1498C6A1-0551-4716-A61D-D07FE9D58797.jpeg
1498C6A1-0551-4716-A61D-D07FE9D58797.jpeg (83.88 KiB) Viewed 652 times
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Baking giant cookies in cast iron pans is a total baller move.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:36 am Baking giant cookies in cast iron pans is a total baller move.
Go on...
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Two summers ago during the pandemic we got this big-ass, pre-seasoned cast iron pan, about 24 inches in diameter. Can probably cook a whole rack of lamb if I tried. We were first calling it "The Gavone", but then I changed it to "Clemenza". And I got to learn its tendencies, specifically that the heat is more evenly distributed, and to consider the low end on cook times as it stays hot longer. Cooking meats was easy, especially switching it to the oven to finish. I also learned the proper way to clean it. Simply toss some Kosher salt in it when it cools off, rub deep chars over with a paper towel, rinse off, dry completely, and drop a tablespoon or two of a non-tasty oil into the pan and wipe it around the surface. Every three to five times I use it, I'll clean it with some soap and water with a soft bristle brush, and dry it completely and use the oil to keep it seasoned.

We really got to like using it, so we got three more cast iron pans in smaller sizes, "Luca", "Rocco", and "Al Neri". The smaller-sized ones allow better use when making pan sauces. For the cookie, we use the second smallest (Rocco), which is about 12 inches across. The heat at 325, along with the frequent oiling of the pan, is enough that 28 minutes is really all that's necessary to go from dough to soft, cookie goodness.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:29 pm Two summers ago during the pandemic we got this big-ass, pre-seasoned cast iron pan, about 24 inches in diameter. Can probably cook a whole rack of lamb if I tried. We were first calling it "The Gavone", but then I changed it to "Clemenza". And I got to learn its tendencies, specifically that the heat is more evenly distributed, and to consider the low end on cook times as it stays hot longer. Cooking meats was easy, especially switching it to the oven to finish. I also learned the proper way to clean it. Simply toss some Kosher salt in it when it cools off, rub deep chars over with a paper towel, rinse off, dry completely, and drop a tablespoon or two of a non-tasty oil into the pan and wipe it around the surface. Every three to five times I use it, I'll clean it with some soap and water with a soft bristle brush, and dry it completely and use the oil to keep it seasoned.

We really got to like using it, so we got three more cast iron pans in smaller sizes, "Luca", "Rocco", and "Al Neri". The smaller-sized ones allow better use when making pan sauces. For the cookie, we use the second smallest (Rocco), which is about 12 inches across. The heat at 325, along with the frequent oiling of the pan, is enough that 28 minutes is really all that's necessary to go from dough to soft, cookie goodness.
I implore you to NOT put this take on Twitter, lest you be roasted. Hell, Mr. D is probably typing concurrently to me right now.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I have to pull the LeCreuset cast iron pans out of my wife’s hands when she wants to “clean” them with dish soap.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Hell, I would prefer to never use soap on it and just stick it in a hot oven until the baked-on detritus just flakes off, but there are times when you have to do it for appearances for her.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:00 pm Hell, I would prefer to never use soap on it and just stick it in ... for appearances
fair
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nope, I clean mine too from time to time. They can get gross when "some people" cook "certain things" in there.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I’ve used a cast iron skillet for ages. I rarely use soap and water, and if I do, I re-season it immediately afterwards.

LJam, I recommend using a high-smoke point oil for seasoning your cast iron, like peanut oil. Using low-smoke point oils can create odd tastes and has that whole burnt-oil-as-a-carcinogen issue.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:47 pm...will...treat....
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Risotto is labor intensive, but when you nail it right, it’s worth every turn of the whisk and then some.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:28 am Risotto is labor intensive, but when you nail it right, it’s worth every turn of the whisk and then some.
Just don't try it in on chopped!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:29 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:28 am Risotto is labor intensive, but when you nail it right, it’s worth every turn of the whisk and then some.
Just don't try it in on chopped!
Or Top Chef. Almost everyone who has tried it on Top Chef has been sent home.

When we did the cooking class in Italy, the chef made risotto and stirred it once, when he poured the broth in. And it turned out perfect.

(And he didn't really use broth either....he used a bouillon cube dissolved in some hot water)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So my wife was out at Wegmans this past weekend and she picked up a couple Motor City Pizza Co. frozen pizzas. The four cheese and the supreme.

The four cheese was good, but man...this supreme pizza - I'm having trouble remembering a better tasting frozen pie.

Anyone had this before?

Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:07 pm So my wife was out at Wegmans this past weekend and she picked up a couple Motor City Pizza Co. frozen pizzas. The four cheese and the supreme.

The four cheese was good, but man...this supreme pizza - I'm having trouble remembering a better tasting frozen pie.

Anyone had this before?

Fairly certain in this thread there was a discussion about the "frozen pizza from Costco" and "how good it is." It lives up to the Swamp hype

This is the brand. For the price, $13 or so, you get a 2 pack. Costco near me only has the ultimate meat option, but it's fantastic.

If I see that supreme in stock I'm getting it though because there's no olives on it. I hate olives.

https://www.motorcitypizzacompany.com/
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:17 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:07 pm So my wife was out at Wegmans this past weekend and she picked up a couple Motor City Pizza Co. frozen pizzas. The four cheese and the supreme.

Anyone had this before?

Fairly certain in this thread there was a discussion about the "frozen pizza from Costco" and "how good it is." It lives up to the Swamp hype

This is the brand. For the price, $13 or so, you get a 2 pack. Costco near me only has the ultimate meat option, but it's fantastic.

If I see that supreme in stock I'm getting it though because there's no olives on it. I hate olives.

Well then I second that notion. The crust is superb. Of course, I ate about half of it, so we'll see how well it re-heats.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Definitely going to try this:

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If you're a fan of mojitos then get yourself down to Elkton, MD, because I have an absolute bumper crop of mint.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:17 pm

Anyone had this before?

Seconded. Olives are gross. No idea how the pizza tastes.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yes. Thirded. Olives r horrible
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I know I've said this, but the only base food we won't eat are olives. The only two times we've actively enjoyed them have been on pizza (in tapenade) form at this place in Asbury Park.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

4th'd
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Had tapas last night for dinner and ate so many olives
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I can deal with a tapenade. Just had that on a sub from a gourmet place in Potomac a few weeks ago. (They could've put on more, to be honest.)
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Do olive haters discern between cheap canned black/green ones and the fancy artisanal bullshit? Pretty big difference.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I do think that's part of it ... these were like OO marinated or something.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I like all olives. Just now had pizza with black olives. Sue me, you bunch of snobs.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think it's actually the other way around these days. I WISH I could enjoy them, as they are often put out as part of a nice charcuterie spread. They seem like something I should like, as I'm overly into salty/savory as opposed to sweet.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:00 pm Do olive haters discern between cheap canned black/green ones and the fancy artisanal bullshit? Pretty big difference.
I've despised every type of olive I've ever tried. Canned, jarred, black, Spanish, katamala, diced up and added to toppings, them in a mix on a muffaletta, high end, low end. Everything. I hate the flavor.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:09 pm I like all olives. Just now had pizza with black olives. Sue me, you bunch of snobs.
Agreed
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:19 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:00 pm Do olive haters discern between cheap canned black/green ones and the fancy artisanal bullshit? Pretty big difference.
I've despised every type of olive I've ever tried. Canned, jarred, black, Spanish, katamala, diced up and added to toppings, them in a mix on a muffaletta, high end, low end. Everything. I hate the flavor.
Yup. It's one of the rare foods that I truly hate the taste. Most of my anti-food takes are due to texture.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:15 pm I think it's actually the other way around these days. I WISH I could enjoy them, as they are often put out as part of a nice charcuterie spread. They seem like something I should like, as I'm overly into salty/savory as opposed to sweet.
Exact same page. I'm mad I can't make myself enjoy them.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:57 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:15 pm I think it's actually the other way around these days. I WISH I could enjoy them, as they are often put out as part of a nice charcuterie spread. They seem like something I should like, as I'm overly into salty/savory as opposed to sweet.
Exact same page. I'm mad I can't make myself enjoy them.
Yeah, you are wrong not to love them. Wondering if it's one of those things where some people taste them differently, like the poor souls who taste soap when they eat cilantro. I love all kinds of olives. Kalamata and feta is one of the greatest flavor combos ever. We have a Costco box black olive snack packs for my daughter. She hasn't worked up to loving the more flavorful olives yet, but she is getting there.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Does olive oil trigger the hate?