The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by The Sybian »

Just tried the Slainte Scotch ale. I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't quite the flavor I expect in a Scotch. It was a very slight typical Scotch ale taste, with a stronger roasty malt taste of a stout. Not what I was expecting, but really good if you don't go into it expecting a Scotch ale. I'd definitely buy it again.

Moved onto 21st Century's Monks Blood Belgian Dark ale. The can says it is brewed with Cinnamon, vanilla, oak chips and dried figs. All I taste is Bazooka Joe. Seriously horrible.

Interesting note: Both beers rate an 86 on BA, and a 95 on Rate Beer. Does anyone on Rate Beer not love everything?

Yesterday I had a Great Lakes Chillwave DIPA. Really good taste, doesn't have any of the citrus or resiny flavors some DIPAs have. So if you like IPAs, but don't like the DIPAs because of citrus or pine needle flavors, this is definitely for you.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I used to hate ipas. But i have been on a kick latelty. I just like beer with flavor and ipas deliver
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I got the Wells Banana Bread beer last weekend and I can see that being a perfect summer beer for me this year, albeit a bit expensive.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Bought the sam adams hopplogy ipa variety pack. Six different hoppy beers. The third voyage ipa is ecxellent. Grumpy monk just a tad leas good.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB_skin_test wrote:Bought the sam adams hopplogy ipa variety pack. Six different hoppy beers. The third voyage ipa is ecxellent. Grumpy monk just a tad leas good.
I've had their new(ish?) "West coast style" IPA in bottles and draft in the last week, and it's not bad.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Did I do good?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote:

Did I do good?
I don't know, did you like them? That's all that really matters. I am a big fan of both of those breweries, so for my tastes, you did good.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I liked the Ommegang more than the IPA, but yes, I like the Ommegang quite a bit.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote:I liked the Ommegang more than the IPA, but yes, I like the Ommegang quite a bit.
Which type of Ommegang is it? The picture is blocked on my work computer. They are known for their Belgian style, and they are as true to the style as any American brewery I have tried. Well, Allagash is as good. They were recently purchased by Duvel, which is a great Belgian brewery, so I wouldn't think that would hurt the quality. Isn't it fun to try new stuff?
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Bought the sam adams hopplogy ipa variety pack. Six different hoppy beers. The third voyage ipa is ecxellent. Grumpy monk just a tad leas good.
I've had their new(ish?) "West coast style" IPA in bottles and draft in the last week, and it's not bad.

That one wasn't in the set. Here are the ones that were included:

The Roggen Wolf and Third Voyage were my favorite.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

The newish one is probably Rebel IPA

Tomorrow is KBS hunting day. I'm not at all confident.

For any of the North Jersey swampers, have you tried Carton or Kane Brewings' stuff? I hear good things, but am debating whether its worth an hour and a half drive.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

devilfluff wrote:The newish one is probably Rebel IPA
It was. The "ish" qualifier was just because I wasn't sure exactly how new.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote:The newish one is probably Rebel IPA

Tomorrow is KBS hunting day. I'm not at all confident.

For any of the North Jersey swampers, have you tried Carton or Kane Brewings' stuff? I hear good things, but am debating whether its worth an hour and a half drive.
I've had their Carton of Milk milk stout, and their Boat session ale. The stout was pretty good, but nothing great. The Boat was OK, but I'm not a fan of lighter ales. Boat seems to get a lot of praise, though. Certainly not worth travelling for. Not even 15 minutes. Never tried Kane.
-Pruitt
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Took a ride at lunch. No dice, yet...
Somebody posted on Beeradvocate that they got a bottle at a liquor store in Glassboro, so it exists. Now just gotta spear that whale...

Grabbed a bottle of the new Game of Thrones beer while I was out, though.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote:Took a ride at lunch. No dice, yet...
Somebody posted on Beeradvocate that they got a bottle at a liquor store in Glassboro, so it exists. Now just gotta spear that whale...

Carton is everywhere in these parts. I'd offer to mail you some, but it's not worth it.
-Pruitt
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

The Sybian wrote:
devilfluff wrote:Took a ride at lunch. No dice, yet...

Carton is everywhere in these parts. I'd offer to mail you some, but it's not worth it.

Sorry, I was out looking for KBS.

My wife is filling a growler of Kane High Tide(?) on her way home, and I found a growler station with Carton Boat. ;)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

devilfluff wrote:
My wife is filling a growler of Kane High Tide(?) on her way home, and I found a growler station with Carton Boat. ;)

I really wish that CO had more liberal growler laws. Only a handful of breweries have growlers and legally they aren't supposed to fill a growler that didn't come from that brewery.

I miss Vermont where the local had 3-4 different beers to fill a growler. Damn conservatives here have kept stupid liquor laws when beer is a big part of the state.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

We are a little spoiled with growlers. I have at least 5 liquor stores with growler stations in close proximity.(varying from 5 to 16 taps)

I wish the best local liquor store didn't hoard all the good stuff until their Black Friday "sale".
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote: Sorry, I was out looking for KBS.

That makes a lot more sense. Pissed I looked up locations too late. Joe Canals near my office already sold out, Wine Library is down the street from my daughters day care already sold out, and Total Wine on Route 22 sold out. Gary's in Wayne was my go to store in my old job. Supposedly they have (had it, too).
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

devilfluff wrote:We are a little spoiled with growlers. I have at least 5 liquor stores with growler stations in close proximity.(varying from 5 to 16 taps)

I wish the best local liquor store didn't hoard all the good stuff until their Black Friday "sale".
I'm a member of a trading group on FB. No idea how some of these people get cases of things. My local tends to get really good stuff, but you're limited to one or two bottles a visit, depending on the beer, and if it's really good it goes fast...they got 3 cases of Cantillion, it was gone in an hour.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Rush2112 wrote:I'm a member of a trading group on FB. No idea how some of these people get cases of things. My local tends to get really good stuff, but you're limited to one or two bottles a visit, depending on the beer, and if it's really good it goes fast...they got 3 cases of Cantillion, it was gone in an hour.
I have no idea. I've never seen most of these "whale" beers in person. And even fewer on a store's shelf...

Even some of the more reasonable ones(like Bourbon County or KBS), it is a struggle to get.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:I'm a member of a trading group on FB. No idea how some of these people get cases of things. My local tends to get really good stuff, but you're limited to one or two bottles a visit, depending on the beer, and if it's really good it goes fast...they got 3 cases of Cantillion, it was gone in an hour.
I have no idea. I've never seen most of these "whale" beers in person. And even fewer on a store's shelf...

Even some of the more reasonable ones(like Bourbon County or KBS), it is a struggle to get.
BCBS is the only one I've been able to purchase. I bought a couple bottles of Sucuba, but those seem to be everywhere, not. Still haven't found Parabola though.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:Still haven't found Parabola though.
I've got one I'm itching to open, don't know if I'll be able to wait 'til September though..why not visit? Honey, it's my lawyer friend named after a sex toy, let's break into the beer cellar!!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Still haven't found Parabola though.
I've got one I'm itching to open, don't know if I'll be able to wait 'til September though..why not visit? Honey, it's my lawyer friend named after a sex toy, let's break into the beer cellar!!

Thought I was going to get a work trip to Denver, but it didn't pan out. More accurately it did pan out, so I didn't have to put out a fire.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote:
bfj wrote:I liked the Ommegang more than the IPA, but yes, I like the Ommegang quite a bit.
Which type of Ommegang is it? The picture is blocked on my work computer. They are known for their Belgian style, and they are as true to the style as any American brewery I have tried. Well, Allagash is as good. They were recently purchased by Duvel, which is a great Belgian brewery, so I wouldn't think that would hurt the quality. Isn't it fun to try new stuff?
Sorry, it was the Abbey Ale.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I am sick as a dog.

This treacly bomb is helping.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:I am sick as a dog.

This treacly bomb is helping.
What'd you think? A couple years ago I posted that it was my all-time favorite beer. Had one recently, and it wasn't what I remembered. It was completely devoid of carbonation, and too syrupy and sweet. I'm thinking it was a bad bottle or bad year (2011 bottling I think). Still have one left, bottled in 2009, so it was sold in 2010. Was about to drink it last week, but thought better of it after drinking an 11% Hi-Res before it on a work night.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

40% of getting over the mental hurdle of moving to NJ has been alleviated by Kane Brewing. Don't think they ship out of the state, but they're really, really awesome.

http://www.kanebrewing.com/line-up/year-round/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:40% of getting over the mental hurdle of moving to NJ has been alleviated by Kane Brewing. Don't think they ship out of the state, but they're really, really awesome.

http://www.kanebrewing.com/line-up/year-round/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:40% of getting over the mental hurdle of moving to NJ has been alleviated by Kane Brewing. Don't think they ship out of the state, but they're really, really awesome.

Huh, and I have yet to try it. When are we hitting up the Trap Rock, D? Cerrano and Rass?
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I should be around and I can walk there. And back.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

They don't distribute out of state at all. The Beer Advocate forums suck their dicks hard. I'm not sure if that is awesomeness or lack of availibility though...

I have a growler of their IPA in the fridge to test it out.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

devilfluff wrote: I'm not sure if that is awesomeness or lack of availibility though...
Typically it's 60% awesome and 120% availability.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'll vouch for the awesomeness side of it. One of only two times I can remember having a beer with no advance warning and thinking "oh shit, this is A+++ level". And that was the Head High, the Overhead is the DIPA version.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Head High is what I've got. :)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wear a condom.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:
rass wrote:For when you're not just drinking...you're drinking.
rass on some other Swamp wrote:My dad is friends with the guy who runs this place. I guess the top two are their newest brews, and (biases aside) my dad had very good things to say about both of them, but only has the stout to bring up to share with me this weekend. Damn.
Pops brought the goods this weekend. The Fordham Rams Head is good. But the winner is the Double D. Just a beautiful color.

< 4 miles cerrano. Come on over.
Ya know, I didn't make the connection before, but I bought the Old Dominion Oak Aged Stout at the Buy Rite in Plainfield about a year ago. It was fantastic. One of the best stouts ever. In fact, The Bros. on Beer Advocate gave it a 99, which is really damned impressive.
I finally made it to Syb's Buy Rite. That place is great*, except they were out of growlers (didn't think to bring one) so beyond the sample couldn't try the Kane Head High.

I'm heading down to DE next weekend to pick up my mom so she can watch the kids over their Spring break. I'm doing a 5K while I'm down there that starts/ends at the Fordham/Dominion brewery. Samples for the participants.

*the Gertrude Hawk Chocolates right next door was great because my wife took the girls there to meet the Easter Bunny while I browsed. Also, we were on our way to effing Bob's Furniture, which I thought was farther West, but when we stopped I realized it was right across the highway.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

For my birthday, my wife signed me up for what is essentially a craft beer of the month club. Every month I get a case of three different local craft beers (four of each) delivered to the house. Kind of fun, especially since we are new to the area and I haven't had any of them before. Unfortunately though it is prohibitively expensive so I likely won't continue it, but it's been one of the better birthday presents I've had recent years.
Popin' ain't easy
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: I finally made it to Syb's Buy Rite. That place is great*, except they were out of growlers (didn't think to bring one) so beyond the sample couldn't try the Kane Head High.

I'm heading down to DE next weekend to pick up my mom so she can watch the kids over their Spring break. I'm doing a 5K while I'm down there that starts/ends at the Fordham/Dominion brewery. Samples for the participants.

*the Gertrude Hawk Chocolates right next door was great because my wife took the girls there to meet the Easter Bunny while I browsed. Also, we were on our way to effing Bob's Furniture, which I thought was farther West, but when we stopped I realized it was right across the highway.
The one on 22? That's South Plainfield. The one I raved about is in Plainfield on Oaktree. The one on 22 is just as good. Oaktree has a a lot of weird Scandinavian and Danish stuff, that has pretty much all sucked. Now I'm into Joe Canals on Route 9 in Woodbridge. And the Wegmans in Woodbridge opened a liquor store. Speaking of Wegmans, their NY stores now carry Bell's. Had my parents look, and they had 5 or 6 varieties. No Hopslam, but they did have the Two Hearted Ale.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is funny because I went to the one on 22 thinking it was the one you recommended and I thought it kind of sucked. The selection wasn't bad and there was a guy there who very obviously knew his stuff, but they had good IPAs stored warm, well expired ones and seasonal from two seasons prior. So now I have to go to the other one.

Wine Library in Springfield has been my go to. Awesome buyer there and 15 packs of Founders' All Day for $18. Solid beer, low alcohol and cheap for a craft is the parent trifecta.

(Also, anyone near Total Wine in Wilmington, DE, as of last Wednesday they inexplicably had like 6 cases of Enjoy By 04-20-14 on the floor at $6.99 per bottle. Here it was $9.99, limit 2, reserve immediately.)