CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:23 pm I can't even imagine commuting 90+ minutes each way to my job. It would have to be a LOT of money. Good luck with the rest of the process though!

That's where I'm leaning. I'm expecting it'd be about $40k more including the larger bonus. My wife said it's nowhere near enough of a difference to consider, but if I really want the job she'll support me. Right now, I do 90% of the stuff with/for the kids. Her last job had insane hours and she was rarely home. New role she works from home, but has back to back meetings all day most days, so she could help more if necessary, but it'd be stressful. I'm sick of working from home and love being in NYC, but 3 days a week and that far from the train once I get in is too much. I have to say, that was by far the coolest office I've ever been to. Security was like a 5-star hotel. Everyone greeted my by name, wished me luck on my interview... When I got off the elevator on my floor, there were 3 concierge who greeted me and led me to host (HR recruiter). The open kitchen space took up half the floor of a huge building, was open air and had an incredible amount of free food and drinks.

Funny you mention Meta. Seen a lot of positions there that fit my experience, and the job I interviewed for today was replacing someone the manager said moved to Facebook (I assume that's Meta). Saw one come up today I'd consider, but I don't know if I could work for Zuckerberg or Meta. Their plans for the Metaverse seem like an episode of Black Mirror in the making.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:32 am Sybian, i assume it will probably come down to which one will send you out on west coast road trips?

Good luck to you all!

Still happily retired.
Company #2 does have a Palo Alto office!
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just accepted a position with a new company based in the Quad Cities, so I'll be spending about a week a month out there for the foreseeable future (send those dining and nightlife tips about Moline, IL or Davenport, IA in!)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:33 pm Just accepted a position with a new company based in the Quad Cities, so I'll be spending about a week a month out there for the foreseeable future (send those dining and nightlife tips about Moline, IL or Davenport, IA in!)
Congrats!

We really like Los Agaves in Moline. It'll be our go-to Mexican spot if we end up that way. Galesburg is about 30 minutes south and they have a pretty great little downtown with pubs and restaurants.

I'll be sure to let you know when we're thinking of our next trip there either way. Maybe you'll be around.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Congrats brian.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think I’ve finally found my Kruger Industrial Smoothing, you guys. This might be the one to take it the rest of the way home.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

As I was going to bed I received nine partially-coherent texts from an employee who is precariously close to losing her job basically blaming her performance on a promotion that was promised to her and basically begging me to fire her. Good times.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Also, I will never ever ever accept an invitation to join a meeting already in progress if I have zero idea what the meeting is about.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's right up there with "coming back to your computer ~3 minutes after the hour or half hour and seeing you have a meeting reminder that's popped up while you were gone" in terms of worst work feelings.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:53 am That's right up there with "coming back to your computer ~3 minutes after the hour or half hour and seeing you have a meeting reminder that's popped up while you were gone" in terms of worst work feelings.
All my reminders go off 15 minutes in advance and ping my cell phone, too.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Giff wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:16 am Also, I will never ever ever accept an invitation to join a meeting already in progress if I have zero idea what the meeting is about.
I get a LOT of that, and I'm usually being pulled in to calm somebody down/divert them from a bad idea. Kind of to your point, depends on who's trying to rope me in.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:12 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:53 am That's right up there with "coming back to your computer ~3 minutes after the hour or half hour and seeing you have a meeting reminder that's popped up while you were gone" in terms of worst work feelings.
All my reminders go off 15 minutes in advance and ping my cell phone, too.
The default to 15 minutes is a problem for me. I don't have that many meetings, and usually I need to prepare way more than 15 minutes.

I basically need reminders both 4 hours before *and* 15 minutes before any scheduled event.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I set 10 min cell alarms with a 10 min snooze reminder at the start time. Will google calendar remind me as an audible phone sound? Thats the only thing that keeps me on schedule.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So my brainiac niece, who is on a scholarship to R.I.T. (she's a 19 year old artsy photographer of sorts) had scheduled a zoom meeting with me for this afternoon - an AMA about how to manage her photography website. She texted me about 45 minutes before the start of the meeting asking if we could push it back until later this afternoon, because she's currently getting a tattoo and it's taking longer than she expected.

"Reschedule when your afternoon is clear, thanks!" :lol:
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:07 pm So my brainiac niece, who is on a scholarship to R.I.T. (she's a 19 year old artsy photographer of sorts) had scheduled a zoom meeting with me for this afternoon - an AMA about how to manage her photography website. She texted me about 45 minutes before the start of the meeting asking if we could push it back until later this afternoon, because she's currently getting a tattoo and it's taking longer than she expected.

Um, did she know about the tat appointment when she scheduled the zoom meeting? Or just decide to blow you off to get the tat?

Kids these days, stay off my lawn, etc.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:20 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:07 pm So my brainiac niece, who is on a scholarship to R.I.T. (she's a 19 year old artsy photographer of sorts) had scheduled a zoom meeting with me for this afternoon - an AMA about how to manage her photography website. She texted me about 45 minutes before the start of the meeting asking if we could push it back until later this afternoon, because she's currently getting a tattoo and it's taking longer than she expected.

Um, did she know about the tat appointment when she scheduled the zoom meeting? Or just decide to blow you off to get the tat?

Kids these days, stay off my lawn, etc.
No clue. I'm not paid to get inside that kid's head.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:56 pm I think I’ve finally found my Kruger Industrial Smoothing, you guys. This might be the one to take it the rest of the way home.
Halfway through my first day and I think I might have overstated this (though it still seems like a good, chill place to work).
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:21 pm
brian wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:56 pm I think I’ve finally found my Kruger Industrial Smoothing, you guys. This might be the one to take it the rest of the way home.
Halfway through my first day and I think I might have overstated this (though it still seems like a good, chill place to work).
Well, if it's any help in the "grass is greener" way, I got to help clean up a massively overflowing urinal in my office building today! If they move me to the basement with bug spray I wouldn't be surprised.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:25 pm
Well, if it's any help in the "grass is greener" way, I got to help clean up a massively overflowing urinal in my office building today! If they move me to the basement with bug spray I wouldn't be surprised.
Putting that MBA to good use!
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:47 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:25 pm
Putting that MBA to good use!
Men's Bathroom Attendant.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I hate you guys, but I love you guys.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

They've switched us to Folgers coffee.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:52 am They've switched us to Folgers coffee.
Sounds like they're trying to get you to quit.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:03 am
Sounds like they're trying to get you to quit.
In my 26 years here, the past 12 months have had easily the most turnover in this office. Mostly IT, but a couple of people in accounting as well.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Is the person who buys the coffee older than 75?
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Or incented on reducing expenses / headcount?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Or, drinks tea (and hates coffee).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm 3 or 4 rounds deep in an interview process, all Zoom calls so far. The woman the position reports to asked me to meet her for coffee tomorrow. It seems a little odd, she was round two of the interviews and I've met with two more people after her. I totally get wanting to meet in person, but I would expect an interview in their office. Maybe she wants to meet in a more informal setting? She is the only employee relations person at the company, and said she wants to hire a second person as a collaborator, not as a subordinate, and I got the sense that personal dynamic is key for her.

Anyways, what is the etiquette on meeting for coffee? I feel weird if I get there first, do I reserve a table and order in advance? It seems awkward standing in line together waiting to order a drink. I know I'm over thinking this shit, but I've never had an interview in a coffee shop. Oh, I guess I did once, but that was to volunteer on a non-profit's HR committee, so I didn't care all that much.

And looking at the train schedule, I'll have over an hour to kill. I usually set up shop in a coffee place, but if I'm meeting for coffee... and I can't imagine going into an interview without caffeine, so I'll be drinking my normal cup in the morning.
Last edited by The Sybian on Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:04 pm Anyways, what is the etiquette on meeting for coffee? I feel weird if I get there first, do I reserve a table and order in advance? It seems awkward standing in line together waiting to order a drink. I know I'm over thinking this shit, but I've never had an interview in a coffee shop.
My first interview with my current job was at a coffee shop. It wasn't that weird of a thing...
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:04 pm I'm 3 or 4 rounds deep in an interview process, all Zoom calls so far. The woman the position reports to asked me to meet her for coffee tomorrow. It seems a little odd, she was round two of the interviews and I've met with two more people after her. I totally get wanting to meet in person, but I would expect an interview in their office. Maybe she wants to meet in a more informal setting? She is the only employee relations person at the company, and said she wants to hire a second person as a collaborator, not as a subordinate, and I got the sense that personal dynamic is key for her.

Anyways, what is the etiquette on meeting for coffee? I feel weird if I get there first, do I reserve a table and order in advance? It seems awkward standing in line together waiting to order a drink. I know I'm over thinking this shit, but I've never had an interview in a coffee shop. Oh, I guess I did once, but that was to volunteer on a non-profit's HR committee, so I didn't care all that much.

And looking at the train schedule, I'll have over an hour to kill. I usually set up shop in a coffee place, but if I'm meeting for coffee... and I can't imagine going into an interview without caffeine, so I'll be drinking my normal cup in the morning.
In my experience that means that they're sold on your qualifications and aptitude, but want to meet with you in a more casual setting to see if you're a cultural fit. Don't touch her hair or fart out loud.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Maybe she’s interested in you for a not-work-related position.

Seriously, you’re overthinking it. Think of it as meeting a friend socially (but on best behavior).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its a bit risky, but if she's looking for a collaborator and she enjoys pranks, making sure you get there first, hiding and then jumping out and scaring her would effectively guarantee you the position.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:22 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:04 pm I'm 3 or 4 rounds deep in an interview process, all Zoom calls so far. The woman the position reports to asked me to meet her for coffee tomorrow. It seems a little odd, she was round two of the interviews and I've met with two more people after her. I totally get wanting to meet in person, but I would expect an interview in their office. Maybe she wants to meet in a more informal setting? She is the only employee relations person at the company, and said she wants to hire a second person as a collaborator, not as a subordinate, and I got the sense that personal dynamic is key for her.

In my experience that means that they're sold on your qualifications and aptitude, but want to meet with you in a more casual setting to see if you're a cultural fit. Don't touch her hair or fart out loud.
Naw, women love it when I touch their hair. That's how I close this deal, especially since one of the things they want from this position is to revamp and teach sexual harassment prevention training.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:31 pm Its a bit risky, but if she's looking for a collaborator and she enjoys pranks, making sure you get there first, hiding and then jumping out and scaring her would effectively guarantee you the position.
I don't want to work with someone who doesn't appreciate that brand of shenanigans.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:38 pmNaw, women love it when I touch their hair. That's how I close this deal, especially since one of the things they want from this position is to revamp and teach sexual harassment prevention training.
Whoa, you're a lot hotter in person!
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

TWILTS.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:49 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:38 pmNaw, women love it when I touch their hair. That's how I close this deal, especially since one of the things they want from this position is to revamp and teach sexual harassment prevention training.
Whoa, you're a lot hotter in person!
That is a brilliant opening line. I'll let you know if it works.
-Pruitt
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

I would get coffee first and be seated. Avoid the awkward standing in line together.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:30 pm Maybe she’s interested in you for a not-work-related position.
Oh, she probably knows just from the name that Sybian can work it.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:21 am
sancarlos wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:30 pm Maybe she’s interested in you for a not-work-related position.
Oh, she probably knows just from the name that Sybian can work it.
Now I’m thinking I made a mistake leaving Sybian off my resume. Closing off all sorts of opportunities.
-Pruitt