Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Jerloma »

What are your thoughts on sending follow up emails a week after an interview to say that you're still interested? GF says it's protocol but it just feels sort of cringy to me. Any of you guys ever have to hire people and were influenced by whether or not they sent a follow up email?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:53 pm What are your thoughts on sending follow up emails a week after an interview to say that you're still interested? GF says it's protocol but it just feels sort of cringy to me. Any of you guys ever have to hire people and were influenced by whether or not they sent a follow up email?
My wife is a bit of a big shot in her field, and whenever she has interviewed, she has shot off a "thank you" email within a few hours.

She has made negative comments about people she's interviewed who did not follow up with an email. So, I'd say your GF is right on this one.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its both. Its cringey in theory and execution, but its definitely viewed as a sign of interest (and not sending one can be viewed as a sign of disinterest). If there are three candidates and one is good and two are blah and the good one passes, it could break the tie between the two blahs, either explicitly or subliminally.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

God dammit. Alright.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Don't forget compliments on physical appearance, both the email recipient and anyone you noticed around the office.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Does this sound not too embarrassingly-fabricated?
Hi Nathan. I just wanted to thank you again for the giving me the opportunity to talk with you and to let you know that I’m still very interested in the position provided that my candidacy is still under consideration.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:41 pm Does this sound not too embarrassingly-fabricated?
Hi Nathan. I just wanted to thank you again for the giving me the opportunity to talk with you and to let you know that I’m still very interested in the position.
Suggested edit
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:41 pm
Jerloma wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:41 pm Does this sound not too embarrassingly-fabricated?
Hi Nathan. I just wanted to thank you again for the giving me the opportunity to talk with you and to let you know that I’m still very interested in the position.
Suggested edit
Yeah, see this is way my fucked up brain works. If he had to disappoint me, I don't want to make it harder on him so I have to let him know that I understand that I wasn't a lock.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Is this bad? Seems bad. To clarify - seems bad. For me. This is all about me.

(Getting through each day is SO hard nowadays)

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/b ... story.html
The two sides already are due back in court Oct. 27 for a hearing before Circuit Judge Keith R. Truffer to address another matter involving Wells Fargo, which one of Georgia Angelos’ lawyers said could freeze the bank accounts of her husband’s law firm.

Georgia Angelos had asked the court appoint someone to run the firm, which Louis Angelos has managed since his father became incapacitated, because it was under threat of Wells Fargo freezing its accounts. Louis Angelos had transferred the law firm to his name, which Georgia Angelos’ attorneys characterized as selling it to himself.

“As the Court may recall, it encouraged the parties to reach an interim agreement regarding the continued operations of The Law Offices of Peter G. Angelos, P.C., that would ensure its continued operation,” Louis Angelos’ attorney, Jeffrey E. Nusinov, wrote to Truffer in a letter dated Tuesday.

“Unfortunately, the parties are at an impasse,” Nusinov said. “In the absence of an agreement, there is a risk that Wells Fargo will freeze the law firm’s accounts within the next few days forcing the law firm to cease all operations.

“The repercussions that would flow from this are very serious,” he continued.

Nusinov went on to request a mediator be appointed to work with the two sides.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shit, man.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jeebus! Good luck, TB.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:04 pm Its both. Its cringey in theory and execution, but its definitely viewed as a sign of interest (and not sending one can be viewed as a sign of disinterest). If there are three candidates and one is good and two are blah and the good one passes, it could break the tie between the two blahs, either explicitly or subliminally.
No question. I've only had 2 instances where a follow-up email hurt candidates, and it's a) when you are super pushy or entitled about the prospect of coming to work for me/us and b) multiple follow-ups. Like, one right after is totally cool. But following up 3 or 4 days later is annoying.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Good luck, bengal.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:57 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:04 pm Its both. Its cringey in theory and execution, but its definitely viewed as a sign of interest (and not sending one can be viewed as a sign of disinterest). If there are three candidates and one is good and two are blah and the good one passes, it could break the tie between the two blahs, either explicitly or subliminally.
No question. I've only had 2 instances where a follow-up email hurt candidates, and it's a) when you are super pushy or entitled about the prospect of coming to work for me/us and b) multiple follow-ups. Like, one right after is totally cool. But following up 3 or 4 days later is annoying.
Yeah I prefer the current system where you apply and never hear anything at all ever one way or another despite what the website indicates happens in the process.

You're looking for someone, they're looking for a job. Sure, don't be pushy, but it's a two way street. Hopefully your group doesn't do this.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

We're probably a decade or less away from Sir Damon Albarn and Dame Mel B.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just logged into the VA to see about my rating.

100%

Merry fucking Christmas to me.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:08 pm We're probably a decade or less away from Sir Damon Albarn and Dame Mel B.
well...Wooooooooooohoooooooo.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:48 pm Just logged into the VA to see about my rating.

100%

Is that a good thing?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Not having to pay taxes on retirement income? It's a plus.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Also can't have it sent directly to an ex spouse as part of a divorce, but IIRC, he wasn't married for a huge portion of his service.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:01 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:08 pm We're probably a decade or less away from Sir Damon Albarn and Dame Mel B.
well...Wooooooooooohoooooooo.
I looked them both up on Wikipedia after I posted this. They’re BOTH knighted, for about 5 years or so.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt3 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:14 am
Johnnie wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:48 pm Just logged into the VA to see about my rating.

100%

Is that a good thing?
Yes, extremely. It's tax free income for life. Every military member dreams of this rating upon separation.

Scroll down about halfway and open the drop-down that corresponds to the "with spouse" section.

https://www.va.gov/disability/compensat ... ran-rates/

And then that's going up 8.7% next year because it's inflation adjusted. Also, because it's over 50%, I pull concurrent VA disability and my military retirement. Also, with 100%, I'm fully covered with no out of pocket costs for anything medical through the VA.

It also opens up other things depending upon the state as well. Arizona doesn't tax my military retirement. And I will get a break on property tax and driver's license costs. Then there's things like free hunting and fishing licenses, free national park entry, education benefits, etc.
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:35 am Also can't have it sent directly to an ex spouse as part of a divorce, but IIRC, he wasn't married for a huge portion of his service.
Correct. It's compensation. It's completely off limits. I don't even report it on my taxes.

My military retirement is another story though. But I don't plan to get divorced anytime soon.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So...why are you considered disabled?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:24 am So...why are you considered disabled?
That's HIPAA.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:25 am
A_B wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:24 am So...why are you considered disabled?
That's HIPAA.
Good point. Didn't mean to pry!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

In all fairness, there needs to be a better word to define it.

I'm not disabled in the traditional sense. I have usage of all my faculties and don't need any sort of specialty equipment to get around.

I'm 'disabled due to military service' because had I not joined the military I would be better off physically and mentally. So this is compensation from Uncle Sam for that.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

all that free shit and I still have to thank your ass?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:11 am
Pruitt3 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:14 am

100%

Is that a good thing?
Yes, extremely. It's tax free income for life. Every military member dreams of this rating upon separation.

Scroll down about halfway and open the drop-down that corresponds to the "with spouse" section.

https://www.va.gov/disability/compensat ... ran-rates/

And then that's going up 8.7% next year because it's inflation adjusted. Also, because it's over 50%, I pull concurrent VA disability and my military retirement. Also, with 100%, I'm fully covered with no out of pocket costs for anything medical through the VA.

It also opens up other things depending upon the state as well. Arizona doesn't tax my military retirement. And I will get a break on property tax and driver's license costs. Then there's things like free hunting and fishing licenses, free national park entry, education benefits, etc.
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:35 am Also can't have it sent directly to an ex spouse as part of a divorce, but IIRC, he wasn't married for a huge portion of his service.
Correct. It's compensation. It's completely off limits. I don't even report it on my taxes.

My military retirement is another story though. But I don't plan to get divorced anytime soon.
TBF, in Florida at least, it absolutely does count as your income for the purposes of determining alimony and child support.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:15 pmTBF, in Florida at least, it absolutely does count as your income for the purposes of determining alimony and child support.
Ewww. That's shitty. Thankfully I'm never having kids and my wife makes more than me.

And I'll never live in Florida either. That seems relevant.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, the main teams I root for… Broncos 2-4, Sharks 0-5, CSU 1-5, CU 1-5, SF Giants finished a very poor season. None of them looking better than their record. Sheesh.

Umm… better get back on the Warriors’ bandwagon!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Just think of all the money Johnnie can save when actually working in the military won't keep him from soaking up all the Veterans' Day freebies.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Was Rass searching through every thread to quote Possum Kingdom by the Toadies?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

duff wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:18 am Was Rass searching through every thread to quote Possum Kingdom by the Toadies?
Heard it in the car last week and while singing at the top of my lungs and careening through suburban NJ on my way to a carpool pickup at my kid's HS thought about the fact that I hadn't done a music thread in a while and then forgot about it until I heard the song on the radio AGAIN today and that was the result of the first thing that popped into my head. Or doing the whole song was but that was going to take too long so I went with just the chorus (or whatever that is).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I don't know that song, but I had noticed rass was trying to do something that deserved more credit than it got.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:47 am Just think of all the money Johnnie can save when actually working in the military won't keep him from soaking up all the Veterans' Day freebies.
Funnily enough, Veteran's Day being a federal holiday meant I could save money while still in because I wasn't at work -- and I made sure to avoid being part of a Veteran's Day parade.

Me and my buddy went around to as many places as we could in a day a while back. We hit up 12 individual places and by location 9 I was done.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:02 am I don't know that song, but I had noticed rass was trying to do something that deserved more credit than it got.
I couldn't figure it out, either, but several threads had been bumped by that time, creating further disconnect.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:47 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:02 am I don't know that song, but I had noticed rass was trying to do something that deserved more credit than it got.
I couldn't figure it out, either, but several threads had been bumped by that time, creating further disconnect.
I mean, the all-time greats do it for the love of the game. They don't need some statistical analysis of their posts to show that it was indeed deserving of credit. We just get to enjoy them, even when it seems like they should be past their primes.

And then there's whatever that was Rass did.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:01 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:47 pm
I mean, the all-time greats do it for the love of the game. They don't need some statistical analysis of their posts to show that it was indeed deserving of credit. We just get to enjoy them, even when it seems like they should be past their primes.

And then there's whatever that was Rass did.
Got distracted mid-inspiration by a Swamper texting me unsolicited foot pics, went limp.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The stories you and Giff could share.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

I hear songs in the sounds that various electronics/appliances around the house make.

Whenever I print something, Renegades of Funk gets stuck in my head.
Whenever the oven gets to the correct temp, I hear King of Wishful Thinking.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?