Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by A_B »

Reaper wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:53 am I hear songs in the sounds that various electronics/appliances around the house make.

Whenever I print something, Renegades of Funk gets stuck in my head.
Whenever the oven gets to the correct temp, I hear King of Wishful Thinking.
Yeah, we usually forget and have to shut the oven off when the takeout arrives, too.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

:o

i do this 24/7 it's OCD-annoying.

However, the coolest one was back at our local library in Vancouver - they would print receipts and it made a complex sound that was the exact opening vocal chord to Bohemian Rhapsody.
Reaper wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:53 am I hear songs in the sounds that various electronics/appliances around the house make.

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The beeping from unlocking a subaru outback rolls right into the Super Mario Bros theme.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

For me it's the car. The warning sound for the rear cross-traffic alert sounds like the beginning of Crocodile Rock. The lane drift alert sounds like an Abba song (which I can't remember because we turned it off).
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Anyone else do the NYT mini-crossword and if so do you also think it's been a little horny lately?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There's a window washer outside my apartment windows and it's kind of creeping me out. But it shouldn't because I know it's a thing.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:38 am Anyone else do the NYT mini-crossword and if so do you also think it's been a little horny lately?
Slang for semen

[C]
[ ]
[ ]
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fire Up Chips!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:21 am
rass wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:38 am Anyone else do the NYT mini-crossword and if so do you also think it's been a little horny lately?
Slang for semen

[C]
[ ]
[ ]
CPO (Chief Petty Officers)
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Why don't great goalies play every game?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In soccer they do and in hockey they get sleepy like everyone else.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:23 am In soccer they do and in hockey they get sleepy like everyone else.
In the Premier League, it's common to let the 2nd string keeper play in cup games. Gotta keep them engaged and happy.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Someone enjoyed Ortega Moreno's clean sheet yesterday.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Just got an invite to a free lunch with a chance to learn about "pre-planning your final wishes" re: cremation and burial options.

There isn't a lunch good enough to get me to something like that.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:04 pm Just got an invite to a free lunch with a chance to learn about "pre-planning your final wishes" re: cremation and burial options.

Do they have a "get swallowed by a python" option?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:04 pm Just got an invite to a free lunch with a chance to learn about "pre-planning your final wishes" re: cremation and burial options.

you are not dying for a free lunch?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:35 pm

Do they have a "get swallowed by a python" option?
hmmm. not gonna go and find out.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Best gift you can give your kids. No worries about having to plan/pay for cremation and/or burial. No decisions need to be made. One less hassle for them when you do end up kicking the bucket.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

duff wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:10 pm

Best gift you can give your kids. No worries about having to plan/pay for cremation and/or burial. No decisions need to be made. One less hassle for them when you do end up kicking the bucket.
(takes bite of lasagna)

(immediately chokes to death)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

duff wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:10 pmBest gift you can give your kids. No worries about having to plan/pay for cremation and/or burial. No decisions need to be made. One less hassle for them when you do end up kicking the bucket.
1. Reciprocating saw
2. Fire pit
3. Mason jar w/ lid
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Says here in the Will dad wants us to "Weekend at Bernie's" him for three days then run him through a wood chipper like in Fargo
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Set my record for longest continuous shit this am. Oddly convinced of that record. Felt like I lapped the field.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:13 pm Set my record for longest continuous shit this am. Oddly convinced of that record. Felt like I lapped the field.
And you didn't take a picture?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

duff wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:10 pm

For sure. But it’s not just about hassle avoidance. It’s also about making decisions with a clear head, and not in a state of grief where funeral directors can sell you more expensive options as a perceived expression of your love for the deceased.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

It's there a Ralph's around here?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Psychiatrist and I were talking yesterday about ways to sort of trick your brain into a serotonin boost and forgetting where I was I said, "and that will release the brain cum?"

She was in tears for a good 8 minutes.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:41 am Psychiatrist and I were talking yesterday about ways to sort of trick your brain into a serotonin boost and forgetting where I was I said, "and that will release the brain cum?"

Any good tips?
-Pruitt
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:45 am
Jerloma wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:41 am Psychiatrist and I were talking yesterday about ways to sort of trick your brain into a serotonin boost and forgetting where I was I said, "and that will release the brain cum?"

Any good tips?
Yes please.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Just find something to focus on that doesn't seem overwhelming. In this case it was a card with a picture of an exotic bird but it can be a tree, a car...anything. Then dive into it. Dissect the colors, the patterns, wonder about it's origins, it's stories, anything really. Just get to a place where it has all of your focus. It's supposed to trick the brain into a sense of accomplishment which should in turn make it jizz a little.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Just curious, how was the traffic last night for Halloween at your place? Usually, we get a ton of kids, starting around 630 and going until about 815, but this year was very light, even though I was continuing with the 'Treats for Grownups' (Small cups of Margaritas) tradition. As a side note...anyone want some cheap tequila?

Did have one funny thing...I was handing out the candy/drinks, and heard a little girl tell her mom that she needed to go to the bathroom. I offered to let them come in and use ours, and said "We're totally harmless...expect for the handing out alcohol to total strangers" (they took me up on the offer).
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Our turnout was pretty standard. I have co-opted your margarita idea for the past few years and it is well received. We ran out of candy with about 15 minutes left of official trick or treat time.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:31 pm Just curious, how was the traffic last night for Halloween at your place? Usually, we get a ton of kids, starting around 630 and going until about 815, but this year was very light, even though I was continuing with the 'Treats for Grownups' (Small cups of Margaritas) tradition. As a side note...anyone want some cheap tequila?

Did have one funny thing...I was handing out the candy/drinks, and heard a little girl tell her mom that she needed to go to the bathroom. I offered to let them come in and use ours, and said "We're totally harmless...expect for the handing out alcohol to total strangers" (they took me up on the offer).
This is the first year my wife and I were home in about 15 years. Went with the kids when they were little, and the past 8 years went to a party at a friends' house and left a bowl out. It was in our old hood, so I'd stop by several times to replenish. Old hood was one of the most trafficked because it was a large circle with row rows of streets, so lots of houses in a contained area. Always got a lot of out-of-towners parking and going door to door. New house in a street that kind of connects two different neighborhoods with a few side streets off of it. That and the long driveways keeps people away. Very disappointed how few came through. I did have fun telling little kids to take more. They'd take two and look at me, so I'd tell them to keep going. They'd take 2 more and I'd tell them to grab as much as they could. Amazing restraint and politeness out of these kids, most looked worried or unsure, but they'd get excited to take a bunch. Bought one bag of 155 snack-sized, only gave out half. Last year we set out a table at the end of the driveway, need to do that again next year.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

They'd take two and look at me, so I'd tell them to keep going. They'd take 2 more and I'd tell them to grab as much as they could. Amazing restraint and politeness out of these kids, most looked worried or unsure, but they'd get excited to take a bunch.
I was definitely giving away way more per kid then in past years, just because I could tell we'd have a ton left over.

We did find that because the 'fun size' are now almost bite-sized (the Snickers are about the size of a Yahtzee die) that kids were more likely to grab the small bags of Oreos or Swedish Fish.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Can't find the Rant thread, so this will do...

Just noticed that my credit card changed policies and counts Venmo purchases as a cash advance. So in addition to the 3% surcharge, there was a $10 cash advance charge for every Venmo transaction and interest on the cash advance. What a fucking racket! I assume they provided notice in a 20-page 8 font attachment I never read. Fuck them.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:30 pm Can't find the Rant thread, so this will do...

Just noticed that my credit card changed policies and counts Venmo purchases as a cash advance. So in addition to the 3% surcharge, there was a $10 cash advance charge for every Venmo transaction and interest on the cash advance. What a fucking racket! I assume they provided notice in a 20-page 8 font attachment I never read. Fuck them.
Call them up and bitch, and threaten to leave unless they take the charge off.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

We had surprise rain last night shortly after we left as a large group (6 parents, 6 kids), retreated after about six houses. Shortly after going out when it stopped raining, older kid just wanted to go home (terrible, terrible poker face).

Talked to them on the way/after arriving at home and they hated the group size and that we were so loud (yelling at the little kids to stay with the group, don't get so far ahead, stop at this house, whatever), as well as how other groups of kids were rude (crowding instead of waiting for space, cutting through yards to save time, etc.). Next year, they go out with their friends without adults, the respective moms can shepherd the two younger kids together, and I stay home and heckle trick-or-treaters.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:34 pmCall them up and bitch, and threaten to leave unless they take the charge off.
Then pay off the balance and leave anyway.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:31 pm Just curious, how was the traffic last night for Halloween at your place? Usually, we get a ton of kids, starting around 630 and going until about 815, but this year was very light, even though I was continuing with the 'Treats for Grownups' (Small cups of Margaritas) tradition. As a side note...anyone want some cheap tequila?

We definitely had less kids than we did in the pre-pandemic days. Maybe Halloween falling on a Monday had something to do with it? Still had a lot of traffic, but it was down from the old days.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Somebody had a good day in court. Call Syb quick. Maybe he can renege on that job and go help FedEx.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bu ... 248029001/