The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:This is funny because I went to the one on 22 thinking it was the one you recommended and I thought it kind of sucked. The selection wasn't bad and there was a guy there who very obviously knew his stuff, but they had good IPAs stored warm, well expired ones and seasonal from two seasons prior. So now I have to go to the other one.
Now I know what this thread has been missing for the past year or so!

mister d wrote:Wine Library in Springfield has been my go to. Awesome buyer there and 15 packs of Founders' All Day for $18. Solid beer, low alcohol and cheap for a craft is the parent trifecta.
In the untold end to my story above, I stopped at cerrano's place on the way home, and while discussing beer he mentioned that Wine Library had bulked up their beer selection recently. That place pisses me off just because it's a pain he the ass to make a left back onto Morris Ave. NJ!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

I liked the Head High. It's very good, but I'm not as blown away as Mr D.

Of course, we had Maine Brewing's Another One and New England's Gandhi-Bot in the same session, so it was in a tough crowd.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:This is funny because I went to the one on 22 thinking it was the one you recommended and I thought it kind of sucked. The selection wasn't bad and there was a guy there who very obviously knew his stuff, but they had good IPAs stored warm, well expired ones and seasonal from two seasons prior. So now I have to go to the other one.

Wine Library in Springfield has been my go to. Awesome buyer there and 15 packs of Founders' All Day for $18. Solid beer, low alcohol and cheap for a craft is the parent trifecta.

(Also, anyone near Total Wine in Wilmington, DE, as of last Wednesday they inexplicably had like 6 cases of Enjoy By 04-20-14 on the floor at $6.99 per bottle. Here it was $9.99, limit 2, reserve immediately.)
The Buy Rite on 22 has gone downhill. They used to have a bigger selection in the back of the store. Now they moved everything to the side and it seems like a smaller inventory. They used to have some more interesting selections, but the last time I was there it was all standard stuff. I did find a 4 pack of Bourbon County Bourbon Stout there a year or 2 back, so that swayed me in favor of the place for a while. I believe they get some KBS as well. The Oaktree one removed an aisle of beer, but still have a good selection, and weird stuff I've never seen anywhere else.

Wine Library has a tiny beer section, but damn to they stock it well. Including 2 types of this Italian barley wine. For only $47 a bottle, it's a steal!

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Let's be honest, Miller Lite is great!
oh shit...
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Had Uinta Detour. So so as so so can get.

Time to clear out my heavies and get ready for Spring. The weather is finally getting ok for multiple days in a row. Though the phightins preemptively postponed the home opener tomorrow.
oh shit...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

teeteebee wrote:Let's be honest, Miller Lite is great!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Got a bottle of KBS today.

And traded for a bottle of Pannepot.

I guess I'll have a nice Beer Day!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

devilfluff wrote:I liked the Head High. It's very good, but I'm not as blown away as Mr D.

Of course, we had Maine Brewing's Another One and New England's Gandhi-Bot in the same session, so it was in a tough crowd.
Yeah, that's bordering on unfair (and I bet the order would change as you changed the order you drank them). Three top 20-ish beers I've had all at once.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote:Got a bottle of KBS today.

I need to join your beer tasting group.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Picked up a six pack variety at lunch. One of my superstitions during the UK run has been drinking beers I haven't had before during each game.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

The Sybian wrote:
devilfluff wrote:Got a bottle of KBS today.

I need to join your beer tasting group.
Beer is a social thing for us, something like that could be made to happen...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Had several new ones this past weekend:

Weyerbacher's Insanity (Barrel aged Blithering Idiot Barley Wine). OK, but way too strong on the boozy factor. Barrel aging definitely helped though.

Victory Dirt Wolf DIPA. very solid.

cigar City Jai Lai. I drink a lot more DIPA than IPA, so it is less bold, but this may be the best IPA I've tried. Highly recommend if you can find. I've been searching for Cogar City for a long time, and this certainly lived up to the hype.

-Pruitt
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Insanity improves with age. It mellows nicely, but never loses the bourbon kick. Bourbon barrel barley wines are some of my all time favorites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I really, really like Dirt Wolf and really, really hated their Hop Ranch. Both got huge ratings. Not sure how that happens.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I had some of the Cigar City IPA when I was in New York a few weeks ago and I was really impressed. Wish we could get it out here.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So glad you guys like Cigar City. It's become about 75% of the beer that I drink.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

mister d wrote:I really, really like Dirt Wolf and really, really hated their Hop Ranch. Both got huge ratings. Not sure how that happens.
I liked both. Dirt Wolf more so. Hides the alcohol incredibly.

Dirt Wolf is piny. Hop Ranch is citrusy.
oh shit...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I love citrusy, but with Hop Ranch all I get is a weird grape taste. Like I would be sure it was a terrible beer if there were no internet to check myself against.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

I really like Dirt Wolf, also. I haven't tried Hop Ranch yet.

Popped a Captain Lawrence Seeking Alpha last night. I like it as much as Dirt Wolf, maybe more.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote:So glad you guys like Cigar City. It's become about 75% of the beer that I drink.

My in-laws are talking about moving to Tampa to escape the weather and taxes in NJ. My first thought is, "that'd be cool, I'd get to go to Cigar City Brew Pub!" And meet Chedda, of course.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:So glad you guys like Cigar City. It's become about 75% of the beer that I drink.

My in-laws are talking about moving to Tampa to escape the weather and taxes in NJ. My first thought is, "that'd be cool, I'd get to go to Cigar City Brew Pub!" And meet Chedda, of course.
Cigar City is way cooler than me.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:

Not if you're including the collab they did with New Belgium. That shit be gross.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Punded out an entire script outline today.

I earned this baby - the best thing to come out of Nova Scotia since Anne Murray.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:

Not if you're including the collab they did with New Belgium. That shit be gross.
Can't remember if I had that or not. Was it part of NB's Lips of Faith series? I had the coconut curry one in that series.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:
Can't remember if I had that or not. Was it part of NB's Lips of Faith series? I had the coconut curry one in that series.
Yes it was brewed with peppers and aged on cedar. Tasted like what I imagine a shingle would taste like.

You folks see the beer camp 12er that Sierra Nevada is putting out? Beers from Ninkasi, 3 Floyds, New Glarus, Cigar City, Bells, Firestone, Oskar Blues, Ballast Point, Russian River, Allagash, Victory, and Asheville Brewers Alliance.

Look to be pales, and light belgians mostly, all brewed in collaboration with Sierra Nevada.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Some people like the taste of shingle, others don't. To each his own, I guess.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:Some people like the taste of shingle, others don't. To each his own, I guess.

I joke with the New Belgium rep that they should come out with something called "Shit on a stick" or similar. They have so many fanbois that they can brew anything and people will think it's awesome.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Anyone ever try Dogfish Head ImortAle? I wanted to buy some, but I had too much stored up at home. Went back, and it's all gone. It's like that time I was going to see Mr. T at the mall. I'll go a little later, I'll go a little later. And when I asked the guy at the mall if Mr. T was coming back, [sniff] he said he didn't know. Well, I'm not going to let THAT happen again.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote: You folks see the beer camp 12er that Sierra Nevada is putting out? Beers from Ninkasi, 3 Floyds, New Glarus, Cigar City, Bells, Firestone, Oskar Blues, Ballast Point, Russian River, Allagash, Victory, and Asheville Brewers Alliance.
I had heard about that. Looks to be a pretty decent variety of styles actually. Something for everyone.

http://beercamp.sierranevada.com/beer/twelve_pack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote:
Rush2112 wrote: You folks see the beer camp 12er that Sierra Nevada is putting out? Beers from Ninkasi, 3 Floyds, New Glarus, Cigar City, Bells, Firestone, Oskar Blues, Ballast Point, Russian River, Allagash, Victory, and Asheville Brewers Alliance.
I had heard about that. Looks to be a pretty decent variety of styles actually. Something for everyone.

http://beercamp.sierranevada.com/beer/twelve_pack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh right on! I had only seen a post on FB about it (and read about it in some beer magazine late last year.) They are tasting the prototypes at the Falling Rock in Denver tonight..might have to go.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Looks like the Cigar City pairing is a bock. I'm not aware of CC ever brewing a bock before. Should be interesting.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My first Cigar City Jai Alai was old and it completely turned me off from them for like 3-4 years. Then I had it again and realized I was a big idiot. Great beer.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Rush2112 wrote:You folks see the beer camp 12er that Sierra Nevada is putting out? Beers from Ninkasi, 3 Floyds, New Glarus, Cigar City, Bells, Firestone, Oskar Blues, Ballast Point, Russian River, Allagash, Victory, and Asheville Brewers Alliance.

Look to be pales, and light belgians mostly, all brewed in collaboration with Sierra Nevada.
Did you see the Trail of Brew festivals?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

It's not a craft per se, but Southwest now has Fat Tire on their flights. So if you get drink coupons all the time, it's a nice beer to have instead of the other options.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

devilfluff wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:You folks see the beer camp 12er that Sierra Nevada is putting out? Beers from Ninkasi, 3 Floyds, New Glarus, Cigar City, Bells, Firestone, Oskar Blues, Ballast Point, Russian River, Allagash, Victory, and Asheville Brewers Alliance.

Did you see the Trail of Brew festivals?

Aye. I haven't been drinking as the wife can't drink...I can get special things, but all sorts of festivals are a no no.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Ahh... Considerate of you. But, that sounds like you've got a DD to me.

I very much intend to be at the one in Philly.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote:Ahh... Considerate of you. But, that sounds like you've got a DD to me.

Exactly. Rush, you are looking at this all wrong! I had essentially 5 years of DD between 2 pregnancies, nursing and trying for #2. Unfortunately, she never got back into drinking. she used to be such a party girl, too.
-Pruitt
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

I already bought my ticket.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:
devilfluff wrote:Ahh... Considerate of you. But, that sounds like you've got a DD to me.

Exactly. Rush, you are looking at this all wrong! I had essentially 5 years of DD between 2 pregnancies, nursing and trying for #2. Unfortunately, she never got back into drinking. she used to be such a party girl, too.

Oh I do have a DD when drinking, I'm just on a diet that I'm trying to cut down on my drinking. Also I quit working the one day at the liquor store, had work travel and 6 days a week was sucking it, so I don't have stuff in the house besides my collection.

Did get hammered when I visit the GM of the liquor store last week for dinner (he's a good friend.) But that was bourbon and scotch.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Whenever I see Rush's new avatar, ,I think that Ed Romero has returned to the Swamp.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian