NBA Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Scottie
Donny

Re: NBA Thread

Post by Scottie »

Cleveland is up by 21 at halftime against the 23-straight wins Heat. And Miami couldn't hit a thing in that second quarter. Even their free throws looked brickish.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
test_MRC_test
Jackie Treehorn

Post by test_MRC_test »

Boy have things turned around since then.
It's a cookbook!
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

test_MRC_test wrote:Boy have things turned around since then.
No kidding, eh? Both the real Heat and the real Cavaliers showed up in the second half.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

LeBron, post-game: "That kid gotta spend the rest of the night in jail, but he'll probably be on Sportscenter."

Story. With video.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

ZTest wrote:I still say whether it was a dunk, a layup, or a trey, you just scored 2-3 points in a 100 point game. Stop fucking yelling like you scored the game winner at the buzzer, and get the fuck down court for some D.

And Zman comes right in to defend his title in the "get-off-my-lawn"-off!
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

It takes a real curmudgeon to not even realize you can just draw a tech for taunting and take your sweetass time getting back on D
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Absolutely no reason not to do that. In addition to the publicity garnered, it'll be interesting to see how bad she's dominated.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

When is Spoelstra gonna get hit with that suspension for resting Lebron and Wade?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote:Absolutely no reason not to do that. In addition to the publicity garnered, it'll be interesting to see how bad she's dominated.
I wouldn't draft her, but sure, bring her in for a workout/tryout.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Giff wrote:Absolutely no reason not to do that. In addition to the publicity garnered, it'll be interesting to see how bad she's dominated.
Agreed. I doubt she is drafted.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

AB_skin_test wrote:
It can't hurt, but god do I get tired of this argument. It happens every couple of years, whenever there's a dominant women's player. Great, she can kind of dunk - at 6'8". As Greenberg said in that ESPN bit, she could probably be a pretty decent DIII men's player. Maybe.

The whole comparison is a waste of time and really, insulting to women players. Can't they just exist and be judged on their own?
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shirley wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:
It can't hurt, but god do I get tired of this argument. It happens every couple of years, whenever there's a dominant women's player. Great, she can kind of dunk - at 6'8". As Greenberg said in that ESPN bit, she could probably be a pretty decent DIII men's player. Maybe.

The whole comparison is a waste of time and really, insulting to women players. Can't they just exist and be judged on their own?
I seriously doubt there's a woman basketball player out there insulted because Cuban mentioned this or that anyone else would like to see the result. Given they're not, you know, in the grips of the splendor that is womanhood. That said, when is the last time an NBA owner mentioned giving a woman college bball player a workout?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Giff wrote:I seriously doubt there's a woman basketball player out there insulted because Cuban mentioned this or that anyone else would like to see the result. Given they're not, you know, in the grips of the splendor that is womanhood. That said, when is the last time an NBA owner mentioned giving a woman college bball player a workout?
No, but they are insulted when the question is invariably put to analysts who have to point out how ludicrous it is. Then the debate quickly devolves into charges of sexism and condescension. It's completely predictable.

Women have been given NBA workouts before. Those were also for publicity reasons. Can't remember the last time though. I'm pretty sure Nancy Leiberman got a shot with the Pacers back in the day.
Totally Kafkaesque
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rex wrote:When is Spoelstra gonna get hit with that suspension for resting Lebron and Wade?

Was wondering the same thing.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Shirley wrote:
Giff wrote:I seriously doubt there's a woman basketball player out there insulted because Cuban mentioned this or that anyone else would like to see the result. Given they're not, you know, in the grips of the splendor that is womanhood. That said, when is the last time an NBA owner mentioned giving a woman college bball player a workout?
No, but they are insulted when the question is invariably put to analysts who have to point out how ludicrous it is. Then the debate quickly devolves into charges of sexism and condescension. It's completely predictable.

Women have been given NBA workouts before. Those were also for publicity reasons. Can't remember the last time though. I'm pretty sure Nancy Leiberman got a shot with the Pacers back in the day.

Giving that chick from Tennessee the slam dunk crown was insulting to women.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Shirley wrote: I'm pretty sure Nancy Leiberman got a shot with the Pacers back in the day.
Ann Meyers. DUH!

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm sure they're much more insulted by the general disregard for women's basketball in general than they are Griner getting a workout.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

AB!!! Thomas [sic] Jones, straight from D-League to a double-double! He was very close to two sure-fire SC top 10 plays on put backs.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote:AB!!! Thomas [sic] Jones, straight from D-League to a double-double! He was very close to two sure-fire SC top 10 plays on put backs.
He's very good. I'm surprised he has spent all season in the d-league, and I was hoping when they dealt both morris and patterson that he would get more run, but I'm not a coach and also biased. I can see him having a long career as a glue-type guy who rebounds, plays defense and scores a little. Could be a good 3rd/4th option on a team for several years.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Giff wrote:AB!!! Thomas [sic] Jones, straight from D-League to a double-double! He was very close to two sure-fire SC top 10 plays on put backs.
He's very good. I'm surprised he has spent all season in the d-league, and I was hoping when they dealt both morris and patterson that he would get more run, but I'm not a coach and also biased. I can see him having a long career as a glue-type guy who rebounds, plays defense and scores a little. Could be a good 3rd/4th option on a team for several years.
I think after the trades, they wanted to give Motiejunas and Robinson some run, plus Jones had a wrist injury (I believe it was his wrist) that sidelined him for a bit. Robinson hasn't shown much so far and the coaches mentioned how a different light turned on in Jones during his last trip down to Rio Grande.

I'm really impressed with the way the Rockets have been using their D-league this year and the way two of the guys, Jones and D-Mo, have reacted to it. It can be such a useful tool if the players buy in to it. Better to get playing time rather than sitting on the bench, but anytime there's been a chance for extended practice time during the season, they've been sure to call them up so they can get in on that as well.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I love to see the D league guys come up and do something. It's a mystery to me how the league's worst teams don't capitalize on this more often. They certainly have an edge in signing free agents who don't make NBA rosters in that they offer the fastest track to the NBA.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

How is the Royce White thing going?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DC47 wrote:How is the Royce White thing going?
Outta site outta mind it seems. He's played well at times in the D-League and others he's played awful. He's such a unique talent that it will be a shame if he doesn't ever amount to anything. My favorite story of his so far is him taking that damn bus to Santa Cruz from Harlingen, TX. 34 hours (each way). He was ejected from the game.

The Rockets backup PG, Patrick Beverly, has at least one block in eight-straight games. Two have been on fastbreaks where he chased the offensive guy down and swatted it from behind. The one against the Spurs led to a Parsons' three pointer...a five-point swing late in the 4th that put us down 1 instead of down 6 in a game we ultimately won.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote:
DC47 wrote:How is the Royce White thing going?
Outta site outta mind it seems. He's played well at times in the D-League and others he's played awful. He's such a unique talent that it will be a shame if he doesn't ever amount to anything. My favorite story of his so far is him taking that damn bus to Santa Cruz from Harlingen, TX. 34 hours (each way). He was ejected from the game.

The Rockets backup PG, Patrick Beverly, has at least one block in eight-straight games. Two have been on fastbreaks where he chased the offensive guy down and swatted it from behind. The one against the Spurs led to a Parsons' three pointer...a five-point swing late in the 4th that put us down 1 instead of down 6 in a game we ultimately won.
Damn. Fred and Rita didn't have to drive that far for chirstmas!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

You'd think at that point you'd just let him have the game off.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote:You'd think at that point you'd just let him have the game off.
Except wouldn't that completely undermine the point of BOTH parties? Rockets want him to be available. White says he can drive to games. Blah blah blah.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Giff wrote:You'd think at that point you'd just let him have the game off.
Except wouldn't that completely undermine the point of BOTH parties? Rockets want him to be available. White says he can drive to games. Blah blah blah.
Well, I thought the issue was him being able to take the bus when feasible. Doesn't seem very necessary to make a D-leaguer travel 68 hours round trip for a game. Either he needs to be able to fly that one or just stay at home.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Bruce Arthur retweeted that Dwight Howard has missed more free throws this season (332) than Steve Nash has missed in his entire 17 year career (322).

Crazy.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

@Scalabrine wrote:Tired of people challenging me 1on1. Let me be direct. If ur white & not N the NBA u have No chance. If ur a brother, maybe...but i doubt it
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Sabo wrote:
@Scalabrine wrote:Tired of people challenging me 1on1. Let me be direct. If ur white & not N the NBA u have No chance. If ur a brother, maybe...but i doubt it
Was it here that I watched the videos of Scalabrine playing guys 1 on 1? Some radio station in Boston sponsored it because so many people loved to bash on Scalabrine. They got the best amateur dudes they could to play in 1 on 1, sequentially. I think the games were to 11. The guys they got looked like really good players. But. Really good <<< NBA. He beat the hell out of all of them. The scores were like 11-1, 11-0, 11-0, 11-2.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

What about a woman, though?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:
Sabo wrote:
Was it here that I watched the videos of Scalabrine playing guys 1 on 1? Some radio station in Boston sponsored it because so many people loved to bash on Scalabrine. They got the best amateur dudes they could to play in 1 on 1, sequentially. I think the games were to 11. The guys they got looked like really good players. But. Really good <<< NBA. He beat the hell out of all of them. The scores were like 11-1, 11-0, 11-0, 11-2.
One of those guys who played Scal for that was a 6'8" former walk-on at Syracuse who was just a couple years out of school. Cumulative score for all four games was 44-6.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

That same radio show had their three hosts play Scalabrine 3-on-1 (winners' outs). Scal beat them 11-1. Even with all three of them trying to guard him, he could just dribble through them or shoot over them.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Joe K wrote: Even with all three of them trying to guard him, he could just dribble through them
So it wasn't WEEI

Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rockets won thanks to a goaltending call at the buzzer on Jermaine O'Neal. First playoff berth since 2009. Not bad for the youngest team in the league.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Keg wrote:Image

That's a foul in the NCAA.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

I kow you're just joking but there was a lot more body contact by Burke:

My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Not to go all Zapruder film, but from that angle, you could argue that the contact Burke is making is with his off hand and arm, which is exactly what is in the GIF as well
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer