What Country Would You Move To?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: What Country Would You Move To?

Post by sancarlos »

She asked me that, too. I got punched in the arm for replying, “maybe you could come along as my pet.”
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:24 pm We are definitely considering it. I have dual citizenship with Canada. Currently trying to get my certification so I can get a Canadian passport. Would consider the UK as well. I’m hoping a passport from a commonwealth country could smooth that process.
What is the basis for your dual citizenship? Just, um, curious. (My dad was a Canadian citizen.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:54 am
Ryan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:27 pm Oh and just from playing Geoguessr for like 1000 hours, honorable mention to Slovenia which is either the Vermont of Italy or the Oregon of Croatia but either way looks real nice.
Slovenian cuisine is a mixture of Central European cuisine (especially Austrian and Hungarian), Mediterranean cuisine and Balkan cuisine. Historically, Slovenian cuisine was divided into town, farmhouse, cottage, castle, parsonage and monastic cuisines. Due to the variety of Slovenian cultural and natural landscapes, there are more than 40 distinct regional cuisines.

Each year since 2000, the Roasted Potato Festival has been organized by the Society for the Recognition of Roasted Potatoes as a Distinct Dish, attracting thousands of visitors. Roasted potatoes, which have been traditionally served in most Slovenian families only on Sundays—preceded by a meat-based soup, such as beef or chicken soup—have been depicted on a special edition of post marks by the Post of Slovenia on 23 November 2012.[271] The best known sausage is kranjska klobasa. Slovenia is also the home of the worlds oldest vine, which is 400 years old.

Slovenia has been awarded the European Region of Gastronomy title for the year 2021.
Sign me up!
Believe me, the thought has crossed my mind ...
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

So, just landed back in the states. We have our interview to apply for our visa tomorrow morning. With good luck and everything timing out right, we could be officially moving over by mid-December.

We’ve found the house we like, and have already started the buying process. Crazy, but we are very excited. We love the area, and are ready for the adventure. This last trip we were over for a little over three weeks and got to see and do a lot.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Square Rob wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:30 pm So, just landed back in the states. We have our interview to apply for our visa tomorrow morning. With good luck and everything timing out right, we could be officially moving over by mid-December.

We’ve found the house we like, and have already started the buying process. Crazy, but we are very excited. We love the area, and are ready for the adventure. This last trip we were over for a little over three weeks and got to see and do a lot.
That sounds exciting, Bob. Good luck!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:37 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:24 pm We are definitely considering it. I have dual citizenship with Canada. Currently trying to get my certification so I can get a Canadian passport. Would consider the UK as well. I’m hoping a passport from a commonwealth country could smooth that process.
What is the basis for your dual citizenship? Just, um, curious. (My dad was a Canadian citizen.)
Both of my parents were Canadian citizens at the time of my birth. So, Canada recognizes me as their citizen, even though I was born in Denver, and even though my parents later naturalized to American citizenship.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Contract is officially three years, but we can extend.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Square Rob wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:30 pm So, just landed back in the states. We have our interview to apply for our visa tomorrow morning. With good luck and everything timing out right, we could be officially moving over by mid-December.

This sounds so great. Are you transferring jobs within your company? Or a complete "let's do something even more dramatic and exciting" move?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve, he explained it all in detail in the Life Changes thread.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:08 pm Steve, he explained it all in detail in the Life Changes thread.
Thanks. I missed a lot of happenings a few months back.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Woo boy. That's a very valuable piece of plastic there.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Well, if things go to shit hereabouts, now I think I can escape to Canada, or some other British Commonwealth country.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That's awesome, SC.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:04 pm That's awesome, SC.
Steve, because your father was a Canadian citizen, I think you could get a Canadian passport and citizenship certificate, too. check this out.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Am I Canadian? Website wrote:Based on the answers you gave us, you are most likely a Canadian citizen.
Ooh. Eh.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:18 pm
Steve, because your father was a Canadian citizen, I think you could get a Canadian passport and citizenship certificate, too. check this out.
I gathered the documents and just filled out the application. I'm nervous about the question "Did parent 1 leave Canada for more than 1 year before 1977?" He moved to the US in 1961 and lived there the rest of his life (April 2022), though he kept his Canadian citizenship the whole time. And then of course I've never lived in Canada.

I hope those don't disqualify me.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:59 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:18 pm
I gathered the documents and just filled out the application. I'm nervous about the question "Did parent 1 leave Canada for more than 1 year before 1977?" He moved to the US in 1961 and lived there the rest of his life (April 2022), though he kept his Canadian citizenship the whole time. And then of course I've never lived in Canada.

I hope those don't disqualify me.
I wouldn't think that would disqualify you. Because my parents moved to the States in 1958 - 1960 for good, (naturalized in 1965), and I got my Canadian citizenship certificate. I would note that it took 14 months of waiting before I received my certificate. (The passport was processed very quickly after that, though.)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That’s good to hear. Thanks.

I had to spend a couple hours on Ancestry figuring out when my dad came to Canada and when he left. But now I have the records for almost the whole family.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:43 pm That’s good to hear. Thanks.

I had to spend a couple hours on Ancestry figuring out when my dad came to Canada and when he left. But now I have the records for almost the whole family.
Utahans be genealogy-ing.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:20 am

Utahans be genealogy-ing.
Oh, the souls I could baptize.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Happy Canada Day!

Canadian International
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That’s great.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Fuck that noise! No Greg, no Murray, no Jeff equals no Wiggles.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The fuck?

You can slap the bag?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I’ll take things I’ve asked my wife not to do for $800, Alex.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Sold in packages of three. And of course 3 bags=4 litres of milk
Canadian International
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Of course.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Nurses station at the birthing center lookin’ ass contraption
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:41 pm Image

Is that the norm? Never seen anything like that.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:25 am
Pruitt IV wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:41 pm Image

Is that the norm? Never seen anything like that.
Yep.

More About Bagged Milk Than You'll Ever Need To Know
Canadian International
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

In college, the milk dispensers had milk that was in bags (housed in a crate) with a little hose that you would cut open. The dispenser was just a lever that pinched the hose closed when not in use.

(Not checking for ... quotes.)
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

my first bag milk experience was many years ago camping outside of Marathon, Ontario. Did not have the pitcher which made it difficult

twice now over the weekend i've read this entire thread slowly and sadly while nodding with an aching to gtfo. :(

I did canada for 4+years - was great but incalculably difficult permit-wise. I need a no(little)-red-tape, non-hot destination. My oldest spent last semester in New Zealand and hasn't stopped talking about going back after graduation. Hell, we might follow her to Hobbiton.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

So all this time we were talking about "milkbags" with Canadians, they thought we were referring to actual bags of milk?
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

MaxWebster wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:39 am my first bag milk experience was many years ago camping outside of Marathon, Ontario. Did not have the pitcher which made it difficult

twice now over the weekend i've read this entire thread slowly and sadly while nodding with an aching to gtfo. :(

I did canada for 4+years - was great but incalculably difficult permit-wise. I need a no(little)-red-tape, non-hot destination. My oldest spent last semester in New Zealand and hasn't stopped talking about going back after graduation. Hell, we might follow her to Hobbiton.
Have you considered donating to the federal Liberal party?
Canadian International
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i would consider pledging allegiance to bag milk and donating my Mickey Mantle cards to any non-Poilievre party for residency. I'll throw in an old VHS of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em hockey and put up the full 1972 Summit Series on DVD as collateral.
Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:41 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:39 am my first bag milk experience was many years ago camping outside of Marathon, Ontario. Did not have the pitcher which made it difficult

Have you considered donating to the federal Liberal party?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

You know what I’d offer for residency.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The true north strong and free, bitches ...

Now I need to find a couple of Canadians who I've known for two years to act as Guarantors for my passport application. Degen? Pruitt? Scottie?
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

As they say in Quebec, Mazél Tov!
Canadian International