Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B »

Wakanda Forever is a pretty strong marvel entry. And whatever the furthest thing from spoilers is, this is one: Angela Bassett is just flat out phenomenal. The cast is overall pretty great and a touch about every other Marvel in terms of acting ability and by gawd Bassett owns the screen every time she appears. Just an amazing performance.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Good to hear - gonna make sure to see it.

Ran a search and couldn't find if it was talked about previously - but Last Night in Soho is really excellent. Edgar Wright may be the director I trust the most at this point. Not sure I've ever seen something he's done that wasn't excellent.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:00 am OK, believe the hype on Everything Everywhere All at Once. It was brilliant and I loved every single second of it. I brought myself to tears explaining a couple of scenes to my wife they were so damn funny..
Finally saw this tonight. Very trippy. Very fun and entertaining. But I had a hard time keeping up with what was happening on screen.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

I saw the new Black Panther movie yesterday and didn't like it at all, Angela Bassett was indeed fantastic.

Maybe I have seen too many Marvel movies and I am bored of them, because I loved the first movie.

I am going to see Martin McDonagh's latest film The Banshees Of Inisherin today, with the absolutely wonderful Brendan Gleeson and I am really looking forward to it.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

I want to say that The Banshees Of Inisherin was beautiful, but it was not. It was laugh out loud funny in parts and also very, very sad in parts. Farrell and Glesson picked up from In Bruges with really strong performances, but Kerry Condon as Farrell's sister was brilliant. Jenny the miniature donkey was also great.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Tom 1860 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:03 pm I want to say that The Banshees Of Inisherin was beautiful, but it was not. It was laugh out loud funny in parts and also very, very sad in parts. Farrell and Glesson picked up from In Bruges with really strong performances, but Kerry Condon as Farrell's sister was brilliant. Jenny the miniature donkey was also great.
Cross-posted from the bachelor parties thread, obvs.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:21 am Weird (Weird Al Biopic) was okay. Fun idea but not as good as UHF. Pool scene made me giggle because it just came across as "how many of my friends can I bring together to keep their SAG card/insurance".
I really liked it!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Laughed till I cried at 7:30 am!
Canadian International
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

the Cocaine Bear trailer is an absolute delight

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:41 amWakanda Forever is a pretty strong marvel entry.
If that's "Black Panther Pt. 2" then I could be in the blurry background of a night driving scene. NBD.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:40 pm the Cocaine Bear trailer is an absolute delight

Spectacular. And there must be a cocaine search because an early Robin Williams video came up as the suggested viewing after.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ok, I waited 24 hours and saw all the hype and Cocaine Bear still delivered.

And GOTG3 had me at Spacehog.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Even more effective than spacehog

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Heard someone talking about making Cocaine Bear on a podcast, can't remember who or what podcast. Inspired by a true story (cocaine dropped in the woods and eaten by a bear), then they tried to make a funny movie about what could have happened.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bullet Train (now on Netflix) was a pretty fun 2 hours.

Don’t miss the mid-credits scene.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

When Clark falls through the attic floor onto the bunk bed, he could have just climbed down.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

YES! I’ve thought that since the very first time I watched that movie when it came out.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just noticed the lightbulbs being crushed by dog food for the first time
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Dumb shit like that is what makes it a classic versus just great. Like having to explain the presents for Mr. Shirley to the kids.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(Although I thought the shape was part of the joke and if you do too, never Google it.)
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Tom 1860 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:45 am I saw the new Black Panther movie yesterday and didn't like it at all, Angela Bassett was indeed fantastic.

Maybe I have seen too many Marvel movies and I am bored of them, because I loved the first movie.

I am going to see Martin McDonagh's latest film The Banshees Of Inisherin today, with the absolutely wonderful Brendan Gleeson and I am really looking forward to it.
Tom, my wife and I are with you. I felt it was formulaic as hell. Loved the first one, didn’t love this one. It wasn’t bad, but the only things that moved me were the memorials to Chadwick Bozeman.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rewatched Avatar in full for the first time since seeing it in the theater. Yeah it’s formulaic but man is it well done. Gonna find the nicest theater I can find to watch the second one. And save a bunch of cash because no one else in my family has any interest.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Was really truly sitting here saying to myself you should post that Harold and Kumar Save Christmas isn’t Christmas enough and then they shot santa
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(neither kid wanted to watch a trad Christmas movie and my wife and dog fell asleep so I ate an edible and kept drinking and watched this to try to have a night)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The montage of Kevin’s prep of his house is about as good as it gets. Dramatically scored and every shot pays off.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:40 pm Rewatched Avatar in full for the first time since seeing it in the theater. Yeah it’s formulaic but man is it well done. Gonna find the nicest theater I can find to watch the second one. And save a bunch of cash because no one else in my family has any interest.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:14 pm The montage of Kevin’s prep of his house is about as good as it gets. Dramatically scored and every shot pays off.
Agreed. And, the interactions with the old man next door are really what makes it a great Christmas movie.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That cop does an incredible turn into the Murphy’s driveway
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just now noticing how few scenes Kevin and one or more of Marv and Harry are actually in frame together.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

rass wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:51 pm (neither kid wanted to watch a trad Christmas movie and my wife and dog fell asleep so I ate an edible and kept drinking and watched this to try to have a night)
I enjoyed The Night Before and Office Christmas Party much more (going with the theme), though none of them are particularly great.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I wanted to take an edible and watch Avatar last night, but my wife wasn't down.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

So the new whites in the Hollywood foreign Press have decided that white Irish is foreign enough. The Banshees of Inisherin is brilliant and I think you should all go see it.

I watched "Violent Night" yesterday and thought it was really good fun...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Violent Night was so damn fun.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:43 pm I wanted to take an edible and watch Avatar last night, but my wife wasn't down.
Is anyone excited at all about the Avatar sequel?

I don't even remember how the first one ended...only saw it once, on a flight to Europe.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:59 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:43 pm I wanted to take an edible and watch Avatar last night, but my wife wasn't down.

I don't even remember how the first one ended...only saw it once, on a flight to Europe.
rass wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:40 pm Rewatched Avatar in full for the first time since seeing it in the theater. Yeah it’s formulaic but man is it well done. Gonna find the nicest theater I can find to watch the second one. And save a bunch of cash because no one else in my family has any interest.
Me, for now. Dude knows how to make BIG movies.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:59 pm

Meh. Meant to watch the first one, so much hype when it came out. Saw an extended trailer for the new one and if I
didn’t know about the hype, I would have thought it looked terrible.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Started the 1st one last night to refresh. It's just amazing to me that a director with Cameron's pedigree would allow dialogue that's so bad. Movie sounds like it was written by a 12 y/o. Also, the extent that they portray the aliens as basically (a white director's conception of) Native Americans is just so cringe – feels more like exploitation than reverence.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That movie is a really good example of technology/ahead of the curve cinematography that just doesn't translate or age all that well. When it came out, Cameron had done some crazy cool shit and the dialogue was almost an afterthought... both for him and for the audience.

Because, yeah, it's a weirdly pedantic, really poorly written movie. Lots of folks (critics) mentioned this at the time, and in the years after the glow dimmed, it became kind of a joke of a movie in many circles.

It's part of why the promotion and hype around it this go 'round seems muted, IMO.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

So it sounds like I shouldn’t go back and watch it now that the impressive technology doesn’t hold up.
-Pruitt