Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by mister d »

Man, we're mostly out of it but I'm definitely never getting another puppy. Studio apartment would come first.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

No fucking way. I'm too old to deal with the equivalent of a super-destructive 3 year or 4 year old kid who can run faster than me.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I think we've made stout vomit ~5 times over the past year for stuff he's eaten. the most recent was during the chargers-49ers game when he ate a third of a kong after getting the treats out of it

he drinks peroxide either in orange juice or with it on his food. so I just did the latter, threw on the game outside on the porch and drank a beer while I waited for him to puke up the evidence. given the size of the chunks that came up, there was no way that was getting passed through
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:16 am stout vomit
AKA March 18th.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:16 am I think we've made stout vomit ~5 times over the past year for stuff he's eaten. the most recent was during the chargers-49ers game when he ate a third of a kong after getting the treats out of it

he drinks peroxide either in orange juice or with it on his food. so I just did the latter, threw on the game outside on the porch and drank a beer while I waited for him to puke up the evidence. given the size of the chunks that came up, there was no way that was getting passed through
Holy shit what did you just make me do to my dog???

(it worked, but that's a lot of vomit)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

7 times!!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

What beer did you have?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:05 pm7 times!!
did you match the peroxide serving to weight?

I go a little under. he typically pukes 3-4 times.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:33 pm
rass wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:05 pm7 times!!
did you match the peroxide serving to weight?

I go a little under. he typically pukes 3-4 times.
Excellent timing. Rass probably didn't even try to look up EVA charts or consider the game clock and context of the situation.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yes. I also fed him some food with it rather than trying to force it down his throat, so that likely helped increase the output. The foreign object was in the third pile. He seems good now. Going to be hungry at dinner time, I guess.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(and thanks bronto, seriously - less stressful than waiting for the other end and could be useful again at some point)
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

it's a great trick and usually works. we did pay like $75 have the vet make him puke and hang out there for the day about 6 months ago after he ate the entirety of both straps on a pair of LA's flip flops. but that was money well spent as far as I was concerned given how busy we were that day.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:36 pmExcellent timing. Rass probably didn't even try to look up EVA charts or consider the game clock and context of the situation.
xV.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:55 am Stupid puppy chewed some stupid small little metal hoop thing off his stupid new leash and we can't find it and now I have to keep a close eye on his stupid shit for the next day or two?
Ah, the inspection of the poop. Every dog owner's favorite job.

My 14 1/2 year-old (50 pound) dog, has really slowed down. But, the concerning thing is that if we give her any kibble at all, she shits diarrhea. So, then, we put her on chicken and rice for awhile which improves her poop quality. Then, start mixing in canned food. Then, if we are getting good results, we start adding in a little "special digestion formula super-bland" kibble. Then, invariably we are soon back to the diarrhea, starting the cycle again. Ultimately, it is probably not a stomach upset issue, but rather just the facts of life for a dog who is the equivalent of like 90+ human years. [Sigh]
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Does she watch Fox News?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

When I was a legal intern at the Massachusetts Dept of Corrections I read the procedures for examining shit for foreign substances. Happy to provide advice if needed in the future.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Any time I need a lift over the last week or so I look at this and replay it like 300 times in a row:

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

this is a new one ...

both dogs have airtags with their tags in case something ever happens. last night about 8:30 we notice that stout has chewed his airtag holder open and there is no airtag. so I fire up the find my app and try to locate it and it becomes apparent that the airtag is following me throughout the house as stout is following me. well shit, he ate his airtag.

so we do the peroxide trick and wait for him to puke. in the meantime we play ball in the back yard and you can see the airtag go back and forth towards the fence as he chases the ball. he pukes after about 15 minutes. no airtag. we bring him inside before cleaning up the puke just in case. airtag shows it is back inside.

well shit again. so we call the emergency vet and ask if this is something we can wait out or not. because of the battery they want to get it out of him. no problem. they have to deal with a poison control database because airtag eating is a relatively new thing and the first thing to do is to do x-rays to see where it is.

after we get to the vet I checked where the airtag was and it showed our three other ones at home but was unable to make a connection with his airtag. kind of weird, but made me wonder if it started to break in his stomach. we wait around (and overhear a horrible story about a woman's cat, ugh) and he goes back for x-rays. 15-20 minutes later we overhear them say "no tag."

what??? I fire up the app again and sure enough, it says as of 20 minutes ago his airtag is at home. they bring him back out, say they can't find anything but want the doc to look and we'll go from there. doc can't find anything. $500 later, the dog is fine (albeit a tad traumatized).

but we still have no idea where the airtag is. it wasn't in his kennel and it appears to be somewhere in the back yard, as that's the only place where my phone will connect to it for it to play a sound. but I couldn't hear the sound -- at least at 11:30 in the dark, anyway.

it makes sense that he didn't eat the airtag. he's 45 lbs and that would have been a sizeable thing to swallow even if he's a flip flop eater (among other things). but I can't figure out why the tag was moving around with him on my phone if it wasn't in him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Maybe it was caught in his collar?? Or, he had in the jowls of his mouth?? Weird.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

found it this am in the back yard. he definitely chewed it as it has a ton of teeth marks, but is otherwise intact. it doesn't make noise but was trackable.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Our dummy loves picking things up with his mouth but thankfully either realizes not everything is good or just likes chewing and doesn't swallow everything. But not sure how puking wouldn't have emptied his mouth, too. Weird. Any chance one of you stepped on it and dragged it around for a bit that way?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:31 am this is a new one ...

both dogs have airtags with their tags in case something ever happens. last night about 8:30 we notice that stout has chewed his airtag holder open and there is no airtag. so I fire up the find my app and try to locate it and it becomes apparent that the airtag is following me throughout the house as stout is following me. well shit, he ate his airtag.

so we do the peroxide trick and wait for him to puke. in the meantime we play ball in the back yard and you can see the airtag go back and forth towards the fence as he chases the ball. he pukes after about 15 minutes. no airtag. we bring him inside before cleaning up the puke just in case. airtag shows it is back inside.

well shit again. so we call the emergency vet and ask if this is something we can wait out or not. because of the battery they want to get it out of him. no problem. they have to deal with a poison control database because airtag eating is a relatively new thing and the first thing to do is to do x-rays to see where it is.

after we get to the vet I checked where the airtag was and it showed our three other ones at home but was unable to make a connection with his airtag. kind of weird, but made me wonder if it started to break in his stomach. we wait around (and overhear a horrible story about a woman's cat, ugh) and he goes back for x-rays. 15-20 minutes later we overhear them say "no tag."

what??? I fire up the app again and sure enough, it says as of 20 minutes ago his airtag is at home. they bring him back out, say they can't find anything but want the doc to look and we'll go from there. doc can't find anything. $500 later, the dog is fine (albeit a tad traumatized).

but we still have no idea where the airtag is. it wasn't in his kennel and it appears to be somewhere in the back yard, as that's the only place where my phone will connect to it for it to play a sound. but I couldn't hear the sound -- at least at 11:30 in the dark, anyway.

it makes sense that he didn't eat the airtag. he's 45 lbs and that would have been a sizeable thing to swallow even if he's a flip flop eater (among other things). but I can't figure out why the tag was moving around with him on my phone if it wasn't in him.
This whole experience just sounds so stressful. I'm glad the dog is okay.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

same

the frustrating thing in hindsight was that my phone wouldn't connect with the airtag after we got to the e-vet while it was able to establish contact with our three other airtags at home. if it had been able to do that while we were standing at the counter, the night looks a lot different.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

This looks hilarious.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Biz Markie
Mixed Breed
35.2% Australian Cattle Dog
26.0% American Pit Bull Terrier
15.8% Border Collie
12.3% Catahoula Leopard Dog
6.6% Labrador Retriever
4.1% Australian Kelpie
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:48 pm Biz Markie
Mixed Breed
15.8% Border Collie
6.6% Labrador Retriever
4.1% Australian Kelpie
Prior to volunteering at a rescue, I had never heard of a Catahoula leopard dog, but we rescue a ton of them from Georgia. They are weird looking dogs, and a lot of them have one blue eye, one brown eye. My next door neighbor adopted a fullbred Catahoula that had one blue eye and some crazy spots on his face. Dog had a ton of energy and loved playing with my daughter, but wasn't all that interested in being pet.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My sister has a mutt who is predominantly Catahoula. He's the best.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:32 pm
rass wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:48 pm Biz Markie
Mixed Breed
15.8% Border Collie
6.6% Labrador Retriever
4.1% Australian Kelpie
Prior to volunteering at a rescue, I had never heard of a Catahoula leopard dog, but we rescue a ton of them from Georgia. They are weird looking dogs, and a lot of them have one blue eye, one brown eye. My next door neighbor adopted a fullbred Catahoula that had one blue eye and some crazy spots on his face. Dog had a ton of energy and loved playing with my daughter, but wasn't all that interested in being pet.
My ex-wife and I had one. Mutherfucker ate the only VHS tape I had of what was heralded in high school as the funniest Spanish class fake commercial our teacher had ever seen.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:32 pm
My Potcake rescue is a sweet dog who loves long walks and playtime, but is definitely not very affectionate. Not much for cuddling. My son just got home after 3 months in Europe (and she loves the boy) and her response on seeing him was 10 seconds of intense tail wagging, a shocked look on her face, a few pets and then she went outside to pee. That was pretty much it.

I'm guessing it's something to do with her street dog early puppy days?
Canadian International
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Need Advice:

The rescue organization where we got our Izzy (7 year old mutt) has a 3 year old dog that is currently being fostered. Smaller, but a similar mix.

Our idiot next door neighbours had it over to see if it was a fit with their 8 year old standard poodle and the two of them got along, but the nebbishkeit husband said that he only wanted a poodle.

That was three weeks ago. The rescue place had posted videos of this really sweet looking pup and my wife has fallen in love.

I am worried about how Izzy will react. She's social, but sometimes ignores other dogs.

Bottom Line: Have any of you guys adopted a second dog? And how did your first dog react?
Canadian International
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I have never adopted a second dog, but could you do what the neighbor did - have it over for a play date, and see how it goes?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

What SC said, as long as you and your wife are on the same page as far as Izzy needing to be cool with it.

We plan on getting a second when the new dummy is a little older and calmer. Never getting a puppy again.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

#teamnopuppieseveragain
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:35 pm #teamnopuppieseveragain
Nope, not a chance.

Still discussing things. I love the idea, but I know that the reality could be less than ideal.
Canadian International
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

My dog just farted himself awake. Always a classic moment.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Happy National Puppy Day!

Ours celebrated by deciding to dig into a potted plant that's been here longer than he has, and he managed to find a shard of glass from a lamp sconce that he shattered a couple of months ago jumping on a chair which slammed into the lamp and knocked it into the wall. I came upstairs this afternoon just in time to hear a piece of glass hit the floor in the living room and walked in to see only him on the couch. There was a piece of glass on the floor right below him, and then I noticed the dirt on the floor on the other side of the room.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Not sure why this thread, but that video was awesome.
Totally Kafkaesque