CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

duff
Donny

Re: CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Post by duff »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:44 am got a call from one of my managers.. advising me of the impending email to HR... staff taking smoke breaks and getting the munchies later and stinking up the joint.
very vague language in the employee manual...and its now 'legal' in that state.

waiting to see what happens..
They can't drink on the job can they?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:44 am got a call from one of my managers.. advising me of the impending email to HR... staff taking smoke breaks and getting the munchies later and stinking up the joint.
very vague language in the employee manual...and its now 'legal' in that state.

waiting to see what happens..
Yikes. Interested to hear the outcome on this as I've had some suspicions myself, but I'm not really a snitch if it's not completely obvious and work isn't being affected.

We had our holiday party (happy hour) and they were originally going to have games where people would win tokens and then put their tokens in a box representing a specific charity. Whichever charity received the most tokens was going to receive a donation from the company. However, they scratched that and donated all the money to the family of my employee who passed away.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

HR sharing the document
regardless of legality, treated like drinking -- don't drink on your lunch hour, don't smoke up during smoke break.
it was raised by multiple team members to the managers on site. work has not been affected.. then again rejections from the jurisdictions are on a 60 realy so won't really know until q1

we did have an on-site team happy hours a couple of weeks back -- but no doobies in sight.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

That was a good gesture, Giff.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Even in states where pot is legal, companies can have zero tolerance policies for marijuana use, as it is still illegal federally. Even if the employee has a legit prescription and is only using medically, they can be disciplined for failing a drug test. A couple states, like Nevada and NJ are passing laws that prohibit employers from disciplining employees for off-duty usage and I expect more states to follow suit. As for on-duty use or intoxication, other than California, you can discipline or terminate for use or intoxication on duty. California requires a connection to safety, so a driver or someone operating heavy machinery could be disciplined, but an office worker... maybe not. I think that will change as some additional lawsuits go through the court system.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Tech bros straight microdose while working these days.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is microdose an actual measurement or simply a fraction of what an individual needs to get HIGH high?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Our new product officially hits the market today:

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Just in time for Christmas!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Fool me once, blonde haired deep voiced leader in biotech, shame on you. Fool me twice, blond haired deep voiced leader in biotech, shame on me.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:07 am Just in time for Christmas!
All yours for the low-low price of ~$300K...with about $100K of consumables a year.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Finally! My single-cell segmentation has been all over the place lately. This will tighten up my game for sure.

Sounds really cool, but man, I have no idea WTF that product is. It’s almost like I’m not the target audience for the ad.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:47 am Our new product officially hits the market today:

Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:47 am Our new product officially hits the market today:

1. That's cool. Congrats.

2. I understand like five words in that whole announcement.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

More than me!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:09 am Finally! My single-cell segmentation has been all over the place lately. This will tighten up my game for sure.

Sounds really cool, but man, I have no idea WTF that product is. It’s almost like I’m not the target audience for the ad.
I'll be honest with you...I don't really know what the damn thing does either. I mean...I know all the components and whatnot, and the data that's collected, but how that data is analyzed, and what it means? No idea...we have PhD level scientists for doing all that.

The super cool thing about this box is that it pipes all the data (and its a metric fuckton of it...the typical use case runs currently take about 9 days) up into our brand new cloud environment for doing offline data analysis. That's a huge deal for us.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

My wife hung up Christmas lights in my office at the house because it faces the street.

They're on a timer.

So, it sounds like a CD-ROM loading 24 hours a day.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:55 pm My wife hung up Christmas lights in my office at the house because it faces the street.

They're on a timer.

Just me, but I’d unplug the lights during office hours.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:39 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:55 pm My wife hung up Christmas lights in my office at the house because it faces the street.

They're on a timer.

That would screw up the timer though so he'd have to be constantly fiddling with that.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:36 am

They're on a timer.

That would screw up the timer though so he'd have to be constantly fiddling with that.
It sounds like it's an anlaog timer. I have two that I use(d) for the lizards. They just have a mechanism on a dial that lets you set a standard schedule for on/off. I guess the one thing you'd have to do is just roll the dial to the right time each day when you plug it back in, which kinda defeats the purpose of a timer, so yeah, there is more than just pluggin it back in at the end of the day.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just get a smart plug?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:47 am
brian wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:36 am

They're on a timer.

It sounds like it's an anlaog timer. I have two that I use(d) for the lizards. They just have a mechanism on a dial that lets you set a standard schedule for on/off. I guess the one thing you'd have to do is just roll the dial to the right time each day when you plug it back in, which kinda defeats the purpose of a timer, so yeah, there is more than just pluggin it back in at the end of the day.
You can get a smart plug for less than $10. I have a bunch of them so I can speak to a device and turn things on/off (example: turbo trainer for my bike and the big fan i use when riding inside) and have lights turn on/off on a schedule. Have not found many other cases, but whenever Woot or Amazon discounts the plugs, I consider buying a few more.

example
https://electronics.woot.com/offers/ama ... cnt_wp_1_4
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Can I just take the fucking lights down?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:29 pm Can I just take the fucking lights down?
I’ll allow it.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:41 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:29 pm Can I just take the fucking lights down?
I’ll allow it.
Our outdoor lights are plugged into a kind of a timer that turns on at dusk and then goes for six hours (or whatever we set). Can you plug it in outside and do it that way?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:46 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:41 pm
I’ll allow it.
Our outdoor lights are plugged into a kind of a timer that turns on at dusk and then goes for six hours (or whatever we set). Can you plug it in outside and do it that way?
Not climbing out onto the roof of our porch for this.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Strong request from my company to not go to the office this week. One of those non-covid abundance of caution things.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So for basically the first time ever I have to actually hire people to work for me and I have to admire the chutzpah of some of these people. I don't know whether to pat someone on the back for applying for a technical customer service position with a work history of being a server at Olive Garden (and no college education) or suggest they seek some kind of mental help.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Not quite the same thing, but someone in our IT dept got shit-canned for putting her thumb on the scales for certain folks that had zero IT experience.

They created something called a Project Management Office, which allowed this woman to hire people to "move projects along expeditiously" who knew absolutely nothing about the actual technology involved with the respective projects.

Idiocy in action.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

These applicants probably saw that British TV show, The IT crowd, and figured that they could do the job by just telling people to turn it off and on again, or to read the fucking manual.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

They’re doing a book swap at our company holiday party (I forgot so I’m not participating) and someone brought in The Road so someone is about to take that home and be fucked up.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:44 pm They’re doing a book swap at our company holiday party (I forgot so I’m not participating) and someone brought in The Road so someone is about to take that home and be fucked up.
One of my all-time favorites and you are absolutely right. At least it wasn't Child of God, I guess.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:44 pm They’re doing a book swap at our company holiday party (I forgot so I’m not participating) and someone brought in The Road so someone is about to take that home and be fucked up.
My daughter recently told me she was going to read that book. I need to check in with her and see how she liked it. I did warn her.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

One thing I miss about going into an office every day are the little things that you can't replicate in working from home.

Like right now, was talking to a co-worker and listening to our CTO talk to someone and realizing his voice sounds EXACTLY like Bill Hader and sending a Slack message to the rest of the team and everyone realizing it at the same time and bursting out laughing out loud.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Didn't anticipate I'd end up hating the country of Belgium before taking my first sip of coffee this morning, but here we are.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:50 am Didn't anticipate I'd end up hating the country of Belgium before taking my first sip of coffee this morning, but here we are.
What?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:25 pm
Giff wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:50 am Didn't anticipate I'd end up hating the country of Belgium before taking my first sip of coffee this morning, but here we are.
What?
Somehow this person who works at in a different business unit than the one I'm in was contacted by a customer we are trying to onboard at the request of our client. The customer never responded to my team's e-mails and instead went to this guy. After I explained what the e-mails were for, this was his response:
I'm afraid with confirmation from my manager we will notify the customer to not move forward with these mails and reply to the sender that they will need context to move forward. Our customer has no idea what "Sasol" is, and our Belgium customers don't know what "ELM solutions" is.

We are willing to intermediate with our customers to support our collegeaus in other countries. But this way of communicating does not support the professional image of standard we uphold in Belgium.
This is after the jerk calls me on Teams literally 5 seconds after I logged-in this morning. Never heard of him in my life.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Remind them they’d still be speaking German if it wasn’t for us.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I just said sorry your soccer team sucks.