Twitter:The New Batch

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Twitter:The New Batch

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:39 pm Things can be three things
Please explain the benefit to Musk’s financial backers of Twitter going bankrupt. I don’t see it.

I assume Musk would still owe them his debt. But that’s true regardless.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:52 pm
Please explain the benefit to Musk’s financial backers of Twitter going bankrupt. I don’t see it.

Presumably the benefit is from stopping liberals from using Twitter to organize/rally etc. But I’m skeptical. 44 billion is a shitload of money.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I don't think he's intentionally trying to destroy Twitter...I think it's driven by ego/a vanity project. The "move fast break things" slogan is correct...his actions this week were attempts to "weed out" what he perceives as subpar employees and do what he wants with only the most loyal people (ironically, same concept as running a cult). He's thinks getting lean will increase profitability.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

My coworker is an Elon-stan and thinks Elon has a plan for all this. Like GK mentioned about weeding out, he was sporting off about Musk working 24 hours. I called BS. He couldn't believe I wasn't on board. I told him that Musk was an idiot and had no plan. I also told him to lay off the Rogan.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:15 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:52 pm

Presumably the benefit is from stopping liberals from using Twitter to organize/rally etc. But I’m skeptical. 44 billion is a shitload of money.
Chump change to the Saudis
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Oh no, he definitely just thinks he knows better than everyone else. And since he's a workaholic, he thinks everyone else should be too. He hasn't been at a software company since PayPal, and I think he fondly thinks back on the startup days. But times have changed and Twitter isn't a startup. Nobody wants to sleep in their office unless they have a lot of equity and a good shot at becoming rich. Twitter engineers are already well-paid and have plenty of opportunity to go elsewhere.

Essentially, he thinks he's driving out the weak, but he's really driving out those with other options. He's just going to be left with employees on visas who can't easily leave. And hiring new folks is going to be brutal. Who would choose to start at Twitter now?
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:20 pm Oh no, he definitely just thinks he knows better than everyone else. And since he's a workaholic, he thinks everyone else should be too. He hasn't been at a software company since PayPal, and I think he fondly thinks back on the startup days. But times have changed and Twitter isn't a startup. Nobody wants to sleep in their office unless they have a lot of equity and a good shot at becoming rich. Twitter engineers are already well-paid and have plenty of opportunity to go elsewhere.

Essentially, he thinks he's driving out the weak, but he's really driving out those with other options. He's just going to be left with employees on visas who can't easily leave. And hiring new folks is going to be brutal. Who would choose to start at Twitter now?
Great analysis.

You should post this on Twitter.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:00 pm
Shirley wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:20 pm Oh no, he definitely just thinks he knows better than everyone else. And since he's a workaholic, he thinks everyone else should be too. He hasn't been at a software company since PayPal, and I think he fondly thinks back on the startup days. But times have changed and Twitter isn't a startup. Nobody wants to sleep in their office unless they have a lot of equity and a good shot at becoming rich. Twitter engineers are already well-paid and have plenty of opportunity to go elsewhere.

Great analysis.

You should post this on Twitter.
Elon would try to fire me.

BTW, my company had our yearly conference this past week (why I was slow to fix the Swamp). We had a mix of internal and external speakers on the main stage. At least 4 or 5 of them made explicit cracks about Elon and the mess at Twitter. Including Malcolm Gladwell, who was the key speaker on the last day.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

That's phenomenal.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Uhhhh, kinda NSFW.
[+] spoiler
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It’s hard to watch someone so unfunny desperately trying to be funny.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:23 am It’s hard to watch someone so unfunny desperately trying to be funny.
Now you understand!
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

☹️
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I can’t see what sancarlos posted but this is as good as it gets as a lawyer. I am exhilarated. Read the letter. Writing that must have been a career highlight for that guy. A work of art.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:57 am I can’t see what sancarlos posted but this is as good as it gets as a lawyer. I am exhilarated. Read the letter. Writing that must have been a career highlight for that guy. A work of art.

Just a beautiful demand letter. No notes.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Not taking any fees unless there’s litigation is a true attorney flex.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:46 am Not taking any fees unless there’s litigation is a true attorney flex.
The publicity is worth it. And yes, a huge flex.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:57 am I can’t see what sancarlos posted but…
Here is a different tweet that includes a screenshot of the image in Kanye’s tweet that I posted.

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Okay, am I the only grumpy old man who thinks that the guy's grandstanding cannot help - but might hurt - the clients whose interests he's supposedly putting ahead of his own?

Plus, is it really a good idea to put in writing that "you need to pay what we are demanding because otherwise we'll make sure you pay more in defense costs"? Not only does that border on extortion, but you're basically making a record that will be thrown back in your face in any discovery dispute - and the threat of defense costs isn't going to scare the guy who paid $44 billion for Twitter in the first place. (If you want to make defense costs part of your demand, don't do it in writing for fucks sake.)

[/Grumpy Old Man]
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:42 pm Okay, am I the only grumpy old man who thinks that the guy's grandstanding cannot help - but might hurt - the clients whose interests he's supposedly putting ahead of his own?

Plus, is it really a good idea to put in writing that "you need to pay what we are demanding because otherwise we'll make sure you pay more in defense costs"? Not only does that border on extortion, but you're basically making a record that will be thrown back in your face in any discovery dispute - and the threat of defense costs isn't going to scare the guy who paid $44 billion for Twitter in the first place. (If you want to make defense costs part of your demand, don't do it in writing for fucks sake.)

[/Grumpy Old Man]
I had the same take, immature and emotional. Sure, all lawyers want to do that at times, but it’s extremely unprofessional. Fun to read as a neutral, though. Also agree the attorney feels like he is doing this as a publicity stunt for himself, not his clients’ interest. Cant believe he used language like “you will lose.” But, it amused me.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Helpful note for room: Syb and Steve are or align with defense in civil matters re: their take
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:02 pm Helpful note for room: Syb and Steve are or align with defense in civil matters re: their take
Lol.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:46 pm
tennbengal wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:02 pm Helpful note for room: Syb and Steve are or align with defense in civil matters re: their take
Lol.
Great point. I didn’t consider my bias in reading the letter.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I have all kinds of biases, but I don’t think pro-defense is one of them. My work is pretty varied, but I’ve written more demand letters than I’ve responded to.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I was (mostly) joking.

I did read that with a Plaintiff's attorney eye though and had a fully opposite reaction to you two. Basically, the people that Musk is fucking over need money NOW - so a normal more measured demand letter has no chance at moving the needle. If writing one plainly with some flair laying out the position has any chance at cutting through the layers surrounding Musk on this point, then by all means. I think the approach taken makes more sense here than the normal dry demand letter. Anything that helps head off protracted litigation is worth a shot. I happen to think that the letter we are discussing has more of a chance at that than the more typical staid one might. Probably won't matter in any event, no matter what tone it was written in likely they will have to fight to get their money. Which sucks.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:18 pm I was (mostly) joking.

I did read that with a Plaintiff's attorney eye though and had a fully opposite reaction to you two. Basically, the people that Musk is fucking over need money NOW - so a normal more measured demand letter has no chance at moving the needle. If writing one plainly with some flair laying out the position has any chance at cutting through the layers surrounding Musk on this point, then by all means. I think the approach taken makes more sense here than the normal dry demand letter. Anything that helps head off protracted litigation is worth a shot. I happen to think that the letter we are discussing has more of a chance at that than the more typical staid one might. Probably won't matter in any event, no matter what tone it was written in likely they will have to fight to get their money. Which sucks.
If the letter was going to stay private, I’d probably only have a problem with the defense cost part I mentioned before. But it’s so obviously written for Twitter. Publicly bullying Musk is almost guaranteed to be counterproductive.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Not sure where to put this, but since I found it on Twitter, I’ll put it here.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Spicer did finally delete this...

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:16 pm Not sure where to put this, but since I found it on Twitter, I’ll put it here.

I love that so hard. I got some texts to send now.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm starting to think this Elon Musk guy isn't as smart as people make him out to be.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:44 am I'm starting to think this Elon Musk guy isn't as smart as people make him out to be.
Who cares what you think! He has more money than you could ever dream of. Has to be a genius to do that. /s
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I just had this realization on the toilet. Success requires talent, hard work, and luck, and the order I just put them is the order necessary from low to high.

ETA: Sure, I guess everyone realizes this and I'm probably late to the party on this than most. It's just how TFG, Musk, and reality "stars" show how much this is true.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I assume "born into a rich family" falls under luck?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If emerging from the uterus of someone married to a rich guy isn't luck then I don't know what is.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:53 am I just had this realization on the toilet. Success requires talent, hard work, and luck, and the order I just put them is the order necessary from low to high.

ETA: Sure, I guess everyone realizes this and I'm probably late to the party on this than most. It's just how TFG, Musk, and reality "stars" show how much this is true.
Trump's key to success was inheriting a company from a father who knew how to buy politicians during a time of extreme corruption coupled with an unchecked raging personality disorder.

Speaking of Trump, someone mentioned how Season 3 of the Boys had Homelander essentially turn into Trump, heavily borrowing Trump's style and even his words when Homelander held rallies. Partnering with a Nazi was prescient. Today Trump is teasing an announcement tonight that "America needs a Superhero." With imagery of Trump opening his shirt to reveal a superhero costume and lasers shooting out of his eyes. the levels of his mental illness know no bounds.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:06 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:53 am I just had this realization on the toilet. Success requires talent, hard work, and luck, and the order I just put them is the order necessary from low to high.

Trump's key to success was inheriting a company from a father who knew how to buy politicians during a time of extreme corruption coupled with an unchecked raging personality disorder.

Speaking of Trump, someone mentioned how Season 3 of the Boys had Homelander essentially turn into Trump, heavily borrowing Trump's style and even his words when Homelander held rallies. Partnering with a Nazi was prescient. Today Trump is teasing an announcement tonight that "America needs a Superhero." With imagery of Trump opening his shirt to reveal a superhero costume and lasers shooting out of his eyes. the levels of his mental illness know no bounds.
That major announcement was that he's selling digital trading cards of his "life and career"...for the low low price of $99.