Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:10 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:59 pm So in theory he'd be a constant hostage to over 200 idiots.
I'd say remove "In theory." It's insane. Look at Gym Jordan wrong in the hallway one day, and he is facing a vote. According to the Pod Save guys, McCarthy caved on a bunch of their terms after the first vote, and they just moved the goal posts and asked for more. You can't negotiate with those morons, and if you do, they will just ask for more. They have no end game in the negotiation other than to make a scene for their own personal glory. You invite seriously stupid, uneducated wingnuts into the party and you eventually pay the price.
IMO the jury's still out on that.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:23 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:59 pm So in theory he'd be a constant hostage to over 200 idiots.
I'd say remove "In theory." It's insane. Look at Gym Jordan wrong in the hallway one day, and he is facing a vote. According to the Pod Save guys, McCarthy caved on a bunch of their terms after the first vote, and they just moved the goal posts and asked for more. You can't negotiate with those morons, and if you do, they will just ask for more. They have no end game in the negotiation other than to make a scene for their own personal glory. You invite seriously stupid, uneducated wingnuts into the party and you eventually pay the price.
The Party as a whole hasn't paid the price yet, but McCarthy had to crawl back to Trump after rightfully being furious and publicly blaming Trump for putting his life at risk on 1/6. He debased and shamed himself, only to have the MAGAts turn on him anyways.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:55 pm
Reaper wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:47 pm What the fuck is the point of going to another vote at this point? Nothing is changing. Just why?
Also, the House can't do any business until a Speaker is elected. So if for that alone they have to keep going.
I didn't expect this to be their path to making sure the Democrats didn't accomplish anything, but it seems to be effective.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:26 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:23 pm
The Party as a whole hasn't paid the price yet, but McCarthy had to crawl back to Trump after rightfully being furious and publicly blaming Trump for putting his life at risk on 1/6. He debased and shamed himself, only to have the MAGAts turn on him anyways.
I promise not to keep harping on this, but I'd say the fact they really should've had a Gingrich-esque Red Wave and they spectacularly did NOT do that... That's paying the price.

Nominating election deniers and wingnut conspiracy theorists at the state level and having most of them lose... That's paying a price. Losing in 2018 and 2020... ditto.

Having this fucking massive embarrassment play out...

I mean, this hasn't happened for over 100 years for a reason. These fucking morons are their own worst enemies.

Sometimes I kind of wonder what some of you think is considered "winning" or what's considered an individual victory in the land of politics. This seems like a lot of pretty clear wins and losses, just looking at the big picture ledger.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:06 pm

Sometimes I kind of wonder what some of you think is considered "winning" or what's considered an individual victory in the land of politics. This seems like a lot of pretty clear wins and losses, just looking at the big picture ledger.
I mean, a lot of these clowns just won elections, and the House shifted back to GOP. I'm just wondering what price they're actually paying (yet).
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

No matter how bad your day has been, you've still had a better day than Kevin McCartney...
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:26 pm No matter how bad your day has been, you've still had a better day than Kevin McCartney...
Which is no less than that POS deserves.
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Did Paul cut him out of the will or something?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:59 pm Did Paul cut him out of the will or something?
🎼 Ahhhhh… look at all the racist people 🎵
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Reaper wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:31 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:40 pm I fucking love this guy:

Also: Fifth vote fails. Jesus, this is hysterical.
I was just getting off a Zoom call so I missed who it was, but the woman who nominated McCarthy this time said the Dems can have fun with their popcorn ... and their alcohol. That was a fun minute. She "jokingly" accused them of drinking on the House floor and then smiled and asked for order. These people are dumb as shit.
Who is presiding over the proceedings?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:27 pm
Reaper wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:11 pm Why is there a house chaplain only? Why isn't there a house rabbi or anything else? Why do they start off with a prayer at all?
I thought of Chaplains as non-denominational and capable of leading prayers for multiple faiths. That said, not sure why there is a House Chaplain at all.
Yea, this reminds me of a military commander's call. They call the room to attention, the commander and chief walk in, they play the national anthem, and then the chaplain does an invocation.

When everyone would bow their heads, I'd look around and make eye contact with the other non-religious types. We'd nod to each in silent understanding. It was like the 'Jeep wave' for atheists.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:42 pm
Reaper wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:31 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:40 pm I fucking love this guy:

Also: Fifth vote fails. Jesus, this is hysterical.
I was just getting off a Zoom call so I missed who it was, but the woman who nominated McCarthy this time said the Dems can have fun with their popcorn ... and their alcohol. That was a fun minute. She "jokingly" accused them of drinking on the House floor and then smiled and asked for order. These people are dumb as shit.
Who is presiding over the proceedings?
The Clerk of the House, the Hon. Cheryl L. Johnson (D). She did ask all members-elect to follow decorum, before letting Rep. Kat Cammack to continue. Before that she said unity over division in the face of a liberal Senate and Obama's JV team in the White House. She said the Dems want the GOP divided. "That much is made clear by the popcorn, blankets and alcohol that has come from on over there."
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Reaper wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:11 pm Why is there a house chaplain only? Why isn't there a house rabbi or anything else? Why do they start off with a prayer at all?
Why is our motto IGWT? Why do our taxes fund private, religious schools? Why are religious corporations exempt from providing reproductive healthcare coverage? Why do we make public school children recite a loyalty oath with a hat tip to Sky Daddy every morning? Why do we have a National Fucking Prayer Breakfast? Why...

Because Christian Fascists have been chipping away at our secular government for the last 70 years in a way that most people won't notice until it's too late.

Or maybe if Roe ever got overturned. Who would ever see that coming?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:24 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:06 pm

I mean, a lot of these clowns just won elections, and the House shifted back to GOP. I'm just wondering what price they're actually paying (yet).

Gerrymandering is a bitch. It's also not a sustainable way to keep a majority. They are losing.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:11 pm
Why is our motto IGWT? Why do our taxes fund private, religious schools? Why are religious corporations exempt from providing reproductive healthcare coverage? Why do we make public school children recite a loyalty oath with a hat tip to Sky Daddy every morning? Why do we have a National Fucking Prayer Breakfast? Why...

Because Christian Fascists have been chipping away at our secular government for the last 70 years in a way that most people won't notice until it's too late.

Or maybe if Roe ever got overturned. Who would ever see that coming?
Every goddamned word of this!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) announces she won't run for re-election to the Senate in 2024. Michigan has had only 1 R Senator (for only one term) since 1978.

Likeliest candidate to run in her place is current MI governor Gretchen Whitmer. After that the bench gets fairly thin,
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Is this fucking guy really going to allow a single Rep to call a vote of no confidence and a snap election? Man, that's pathetic.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:04 am Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) announces she won't run for re-election to the Senate in 2024. Michigan has had only 1 R Senator (for only one term) since 1978.

Likeliest candidate to run in her place is current MI governor Gretchen Whitmer. After that the bench gets fairly thin,
Someone on Twitter pointed out that Pete Buttigieg moved to Michigan a couple years ago.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:19 am
brian wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:04 am Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) announces she won't run for re-election to the Senate in 2024. Michigan has had only 1 R Senator (for only one term) since 1978.

Someone on Twitter pointed out that Pete Buttigieg moved to Michigan a couple years ago.
Oh shit. Totally forgot about that. True, him and his husband have a place near Traverse City. That would be interesting. Whitmer's aspirations might be to run for President in 2028, so Buttigieg running for that Senate seat makes a lot of sense. Wouldn't surprising me if Stabenow's retirement was all orchestrated for that purpose (though she'll be in 74 in 2024).
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Slotkin makes a ton of sense
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:22 am Slotkin makes a ton of sense
Yes, she would be another candidate though her state-wide name recognition isn't the greatest. Known commodity in metro Detroit, but not as much elsewhere.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Forgot that this social media presence existed completely:

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:46 am Image
"So you see, in summation, I don't put raisins in my potato salad and I did play spades - joker, joker, deuce! - Uno, and domin...uh, bones on my one deployment. I even listened to the hip hop music too! Gang gang."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[Obama impersonation voice] "Ha ha, no I love spicy foods. I put hot sauce on everything."
*Grabs slice of detroit style pizza*
*Pulls out bottle of sriracha*
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Here's the thing about Mayor Pete. He routinely goes on Fox and absolutely hands those people their lunch. He may be a robot baby born in the bowels of the Brookings Institute, but he's a pretty gifted politician.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm sure that's fun, but what about his work in actual government roles? How have those gone?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:08 am I'm sure that's fun, but what about his work in actual government roles? How have those gone?
He's soaring high in the sky from what I can tell.

(Honestly, I have no idea. Secretaries of Transportation never seem to ever have a public presence. Like Mitch McConnell's wife. And really, every other person before her. A Senate run makes sense once he's done with whatever he does all day. He's just built for this. /Beto'd)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Fine, I guess? I don't really know, I'm talking about his viability as a candidate. He's good at that.

I'm not some stan.

I got a bunch of shit back in the day for saying he was a pure politician during the very early days (dem primary). I took shots at his military background and didn't like that he was out of McKinsey.

So, I'm a hipster, I guess? I was saying the stuff you are saying many moons ago. I just don't really care enough to keep harping on it, and I feel like he's slotted into a role that typically gets very little coverage and he's turned it into a fairly positive platform.

(I don't remember who took issue what I was saying back then, and it's not that important, I just find it funny that my early shots were an issue back then, and many of those points have been cemented by folks on the board.)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:38 am
mister d wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:08 am I'm sure that's fun, but what about his work in actual government roles? How have those gone?
He's soaring high in the sky from what I can tell.

(Honestly, I have no idea. Secretaries of Transportation never seem to ever have a public presence. Like Mitch McConnell's wife. And really, every other person before her. A Senate run makes sense once he's done with whatever he does all day. He's just built for this. /Beto'd)
Right. This.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He's in (or should be in?) a pretty prominent mess the first time his role has been noticed and has never actually won an election bigger than mid-town mayor in a different state altogether. Dems aren't great at "this guy is PERFECT for the job" when there's nothing believable behind it. It feels very Hillary-ish, where its her turn to do something and the voters are supposed to just agree.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Mr. D(avid Sirota)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't really have the energy to defend the guy. The farthest I will go is that blaming him for supply chain issues and Southwest shitting the bed seems a little Fox News adjacent. I'm probably missing something, because I'm honest when I say I'm not paying him much attention.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think running a Cabinet department for four years probably qualifies you for a job that Tommy Fucking Tuberville holds, but maybe that's just me.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Excited to get dubbed "DavidSirotaGuy" in the future.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:03 pm I don't really have the energy to defend the guy. The farthest I will go is that blaming him for supply chain issues and Southwest shitting the bed seems a little Fox News adjacent. I'm probably missing something, because I'm honest when I say I'm not paying him much attention.
I don't know anyone is blaming him for it happening, just for the corporate-side response which helps ensure it can happen again.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:03 pm I think running a Cabinet department for four years probably qualifies you for a job that Tommy Fucking Tuberville holds, but maybe that's just me.
C'mon, this is "if Harold Baines is in then this guy who also shouldn't be in should be in". Should we go through Trump's cabinet or can we agree that's not some inarguable threshold to auto-qualifying in a new state?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:03 pm I don't really have the energy to defend the guy. The farthest I will go is that blaming him for supply chain issues and Southwest shitting the bed seems a little Fox News adjacent. I'm probably missing something, because I'm honest when I say I'm not paying him much attention.
He's doing fine. Some good initiatives that got coverage a while back. The folks who want to blame him for Southwest's pilot scheduling programs are mostly people who oppose him and are looking for things to blame him for.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:18 pm
I don't know anyone is blaming him for it happening, just for the corporate-side response which helps ensure it can happen again.
it may be far more reasonable to believe that the quickest way change will happen in this case is from the consumer and workers' union sides and not the department of transportation side