2022/2023 MLB Offseason thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: 2022/2023 MLB Offseason thread

Post by A_B »

I am deeply sorry. I shall do penance and stand in the bathroom and kiss the mirror all day at work.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Correa back with the Twins. Supposedly six years and 200 million...

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Disappointed if this doesn't somehow end with him progressively agreeing and teams reneging with every team in MLB until he takes a league minimum deal for one year from the Rays.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Good news for Red Sox ownership is they made some cash having a hot stove event; bad news is ir didn't go so well https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/red ... dy-booing/
"Well hold on, hold on, hold on," a smiling Bloom told the booing crowd. "Let's talk about this. Last time I was sitting up here was three years ago. So where was the organization three years ago? The organization was coming off an 84-win season. That team had shown in 2019 [that it] had good players, but the team wasn't good enough. There wasn't a whole heck of a lot coming. You guys know that. You follow this organization? You know there wasn't a whole lot coming. So we had two choices, right? We could keep going. We could drive right off that cliff. You guys have seen big market teams do it before and end up rebuilding for half a decade. That's not acceptable. That's not acceptable to you guys. That can't happen in Boston. So what we had to do was find a way to turn that car around before we drove off the cliff."

The message was clear: Dave Dombrowski depleted the Red Sox' farm system, I was brought in to build it up, now all of my prospects will be coming up to save the day, you're welcome.

Considering the Red Sox are coming off a 78-win season (worse than 2019, for you mathematicians out there), and considering two of Boston's top three prospects joined the organization under Dombrowski's watch, it's a bold stance for Bloom to take.
--John Henry doesn't really care to answer questions. Multiple times, the team's principal owner was asked a question by either Tom Caron or Jared Carrabis. Multiple times, Henry would gesture, make a face, and then allow Kennedy to answer the question for him. Only when pushed by Caron to specifically answer a question on his own did Henry actually chime in.

It certainly won't help in building goodwill and trust among the fan base. While nobody denies the greatness of this ownership group delivering four World Series titles, there's still some genuine concern that Henry doesn't care about the Red Sox as much as he used to. With Liverpool, the Penguins, the racing team, and the desire to add an NBA team, the Fenway Sports Group is ever-growing. That has created the perception -- accurate, wrong, or somewhere in the middle -- that Henry is less focused on the Red Sox.

Yet when asked that question directly by Carrabis, Henry actually laughed, then faced the crowd while shrugging, then checked his watch.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't know Boston's prospects anymore, but this quote is a bit weird unless there's some absolute clear cut top 3: "... and considering two of Boston's top three prospects joined the organization under Dombrowski's watch, it's a bold stance for Bloom to take."

Much easier to take him to task for completely fucking up the prospects he got in return for future HoFer Mookie Betts.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Funny how Trevor Bauer and Mike Clevinger were two of the biggest loudmouths about the Astros. I guess I'll hold judgment until I hear Bregman didn't spit used chewing tobacco on his 10-month-old.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Dexter Fowler announces his retirement ...

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Rays are building a new domed stadium in St Pete?

What about the other 90% of Rays fans that don't live west of Tampa Bay?
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:09 pm The Rays are building a new domed stadium in St Pete?

What about the other 90% of Rays fans that don't live west of Tampa Bay?
Not final yet, but the Rays backed plan (this one) was selected by St. Pete's mayor.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

As impressive it is that Michael King woke up from his coma that made him miss the summer and fall, he should probably check what happened while he was obviously unconscious before running his mouth.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Actually, the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate how the Astros would have beaten the 2022 Yankees had they not suffered some injuries and if they weren't sad that they got a top half CF for a back-end starter.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.