Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie »

I think I might actually know this guy.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

A good man.
Canadian International
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Not that this will actually accomplish anything, but I can't wait for the finished product.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... -sundance/
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Put me in the camp that if the Biden classified docs story hurts his chances of running again it’s a good thing.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The improbability of George Santos’ $199 expenses

$199.99 is the threshold beyond which a campaign has to show receipts or invoices.
FEC data shows more than 90 percent of House and Senate campaign committees around the country did not report a single transaction valued between $199 and $199.99 during the 2022 election cycle.

Santos reported 40 of them.

In fact, his campaign accounted for roughly half of all expenses by all campaigns that cost exactly $199.99 — a statistical improbability.
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:42 am The improbability of George Santos’ $199 expenses

$199.99 is the threshold beyond which a campaign has to show receipts or invoices.
FEC data shows more than 90 percent of House and Senate campaign committees around the country did not report a single transaction valued between $199 and $199.99 during the 2022 election cycle.

Santos reported 40 of them.

In fact, his campaign accounted for roughly half of all expenses by all campaigns that cost exactly $199.99 — a statistical improbability.
Maybe he is just an incredibly gifted shopper. I heard he won the Showcase Showdown on Price is Right a record 47 times.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If my taxes weren't literally paying his salary I would probably have the tiniest bit of empathy for him, as he's clearly dealing with some significant self-loathing. No one who truly believes and has confidence in himself would fabricate so many easily disprovable details.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm imagining a money launderer who thinks they've beaten the system with 100 deposits of $9,999.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

These people, man. This is analogous to "stop testing and there won't be as many cases of covid!"
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:32 pm

These people, man. This is analogous to "stop testing and there won't be as many cases of covid!"
Yeah, how is this an indictment of Biden? I don’t get that line of thinking at all. :lol:
Noli Timere Messorem
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I mean if they were being seized somewhere other than the border, it sort of works?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

In this specific case I’m wondering whether it’s Blackburn (or her social media team) that’s being dumb, or whether she (they) know it’s logically wrong but are throwing it out as red meat to her dumb voters.

I’m not sure which one is worse.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:09 pm In this specific case I’m wondering whether it’s Blackburn (or her social media team) that’s being dumb, or whether she (they) know it’s logically wrong but are throwing it out as red meat to her dumb voters.

It has to be the second one, because this is far from the first time Blackburn has posted about how many people/drugs/whatever were seized at the supposedly open border.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:09 pm In this specific case I’m wondering whether it’s Blackburn (or her social media team) that’s being dumb, or whether she (they) know it’s logically wrong but are throwing it out as red meat to her dumb voters.

Heard a term used on a podcast recently ("American Hysteria") for the way the conspiracy-minded think - "Idiot's Razor"
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:49 pm I mean if they were being seized somewhere other than the border, it sort of works?
Then say that and don't word it like they did. If that's what they meant then the fear mongering would have been more effective to say it came across the border and was seized in, say, Tennessee. I happen to think that isn't what they mean, though, because they lose the benefit of the doubt from past comments.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its not supposed to be logical, its just supposed to link fentanyl to immigrants and to Biden in people's brains and I'm sure it'll work. Drug corporations can't be at fault here.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:00 pm Its not supposed to be logical, its just supposed to link fentanyl to immigrants and to Biden in people's brains and I'm sure it'll work. Drug corporations can't be at fault here.
Meanwhile, if the same numbers came out with Trump in office, she'd be touting the amazing job Trump did in policing the border.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This commercial just came on the PGA tourney. It's apparently 5 years old. Seems like a questionable pitch given that Conservatives fucking love government money.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So wait...Desantis is really removing ALL books until they can be vetted by censors? What the everloving fuck?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:48 am So wait...Desantis is really removing ALL books until they can be vetted by censors? What the everloving fuck?
Not really DeSantis removing them, but signing laws that are so vague and penal that no one wants to run afoul of possible punishment. Or the laws are written so that local libraries, school districts, etc. are his henchmen of enforcement and allowed to run as roughshod as they choose. It fucking sucks here. I can't wait to get out.

And, oh hey, the newest proposed bill (which will pass because Fla GOP has supermajority) is for permitless concealed carry. IT.FUCKING.SUCKS.HERE.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Bugs Bunny had it right all along.

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I bet she doesn't make it to New Hampshire.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

She’ll drop out, endorse Trump, then hope to be in his cabinet (or VP) if he wins.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:16 am She’ll drop out, endorse Trump, then hope to be in his cabinet (or VP) if he wins.
I thought she'd already burned her bridges with Trump (she did promise not to run if he ran again).

I'd say she's more likely setting herself up to be DeSantis' VP choice.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I've said this before, but DiSantis is especially repugnant, because he knows that his anti-trans, anti-health, and anti-woke stances are just an act, and is simply doing this to appeal to TFG's voters. The blood from every LGBT teenager who takes their own life should be sprayed all over his hands.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:09 am I've said this before, but DiSantis is especially repugnant, because he knows that his anti-trans, anti-health, and anti-woke stances are just an act, and is simply doing this to appeal to TFG's voters. The blood from every LGBT teenager who takes their own life should be sprayed all over his hands.
No offense but a lot of democrats think these guys are merely cosplaying, and that many of those who showed up on January 6th, deep down didn’t think they were actually overthrowing the government.

To that, I say, so what if DeSantis is just acting? His intent was already established. If DeSantis’ “reforms” on higher education wind up driving out hundreds of well qualified professors from the state of Florida, who do you think he replaces them with?
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That's not exactly what I mean. I agree that DiSantis's would replace teachers who teach the spotted history of America with those who promote the Lost Cause. My thoughts are more that he's choosing to do this harm because he believes it will lead him to higher office.

As much as I hate Marjorie Taylor Greene or Boebert or TFG, I think they really believe their regressive views, mainly because they're too dumb/ignorant to see that they're wrong. DiSantis knows better. He knows his anti-trans policies will result in more LGBT teens to attempt suicide. He knew that opening up Florida during the ravages of COVID would cause more of his elderly residents to die from lungs flooded with mucus. He knows that by hiding the racist history of America will dumb down his state's residents and result in more black men getting shot by police. He simply views that dead LGBT teens, dead grandmothers, and dead young black men as an agreeable trade-off for his ambitions for the White House. That's much more sinister than the GOP idiots we vilify on the regular.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:11 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:09 am I've said this before, but DiSantis is especially repugnant, because he knows that his anti-trans, anti-health, and anti-woke stances are just an act, and is simply doing this to appeal to TFG's voters. The blood from every LGBT teenager who takes their own life should be sprayed all over his hands.
No offense but a lot of democrats think these guys are merely cosplaying, and that many of those who showed up on January 6th, deep down didn’t think they were actually overthrowing the government.

To that, I say, so what if DeSantis is just acting? His intent was already established. If DeSantis’ “reforms” on higher education wind up driving out hundreds of well qualified professors from the state of Florida, who do you think he replaces them with?
There are a lot of likely candidates. I think of grads of Bob Jones, Oral Roberts and Liberty Universities.

Politicizing schools and universities will surely appeal to voters who've never been...
DeSantis was joined at his news conference Tuesday by Ray Rodrigues, chancellor of the State University System of Florida and a former Republican state senator. As a lawmaker, Rodrigues sponsored legislation requiring universities to survey students about the level of “intellectual diversity” on their campuses.
Canadian International
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:38 am
sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:16 am She’ll drop out, endorse Trump, then hope to be in his cabinet (or VP) if he wins.
I thought she'd already burned her bridges with Trump (she did promise not to run if he ran again).

I'd say she's more likely setting herself up to be DeSantis' VP choice.
Trump (or Trump's people) probably realize the only chance for him to win the nomination again is as big a field as possible, so he seems to be taking a more conciliatory tone with everyone other than DeSantis. He seems to understand that as of right now that's his only real competition.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

It's amazing how much they speak about CRT and have no fucking clue what it is. I actually had a class in college that would qualify as CRT, I gotta say, I came away with the exact opposite opinion than MTG's "it teaches that white skin is inferior." The entire point is teaching how systemic racism works against minorities, and I really don't see how anyone can argue that isn't true. Refusing to sell homes to black people in certain neighborhoods 100% happened, and not allowing them into better school districts hurt their education. Sure, there are lots of minorities who succeeded in spite of this, but many more were harmed, and that effected their incomes, and where they could raise their children, and it spirals. Not too fucking complicated. And CRT is not taught in elementary schools like these assholes preach, and it doesn't teach "all white people are inherently bad." These assholes are so infuriating.

ETA: And I would love to see the elementary school in Illinois that received $5.1 Billion for Equity and Diversity. They must throw the greatest Cinco de Mayo and Kwanza parties EVAR!
Last edited by The Sybian on Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Beyond the surface level idiocy, check how she uses "children" versus "black children" there.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

This is funny and it just shows that parody might as well be dead, because reality is so nuts sometimes. This great twitter thread is parody, but because it sounds like something DeSantis would actually do, it’s getting retweeted as fact. Read the whole thread.

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:43 pm
Founding Fathers are rolling in their graves.
Canadian International
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:03 pm This is funny and it just shows that parody might as well be dead, because reality is so nuts sometimes. This great twitter thread is parody, but because it sounds like something DeSantis would actually do, it’s getting retweeted as fact. Read the whole thread.

It fooled Oiler, the Floridian!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

nice
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt IV wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:03 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:43 pm
Founding Fathers are rolling in their graves.
Yup.

I mean, women serving in government AND being allowed to vote? And she's allowed to own land too?

Fucking wokeness run amok.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:52 pm It's amazing how much they speak about CRT and have no fucking clue what it is. I actually had a class in college that would qualify as CRT, I gotta say, I came away with the exact opposite opinion than MTG's "it teaches that white skin is inferior." The entire point is teaching how systemic racism works against minorities, and I really don't see how anyone can argue that isn't true. Refusing to sell homes to black people in certain neighborhoods 100% happened, and not allowing them into better school districts hurt their education. Sure, there are lots of minorities who succeeded in spite of this, but many more were harmed, and that effected their incomes, and where they could raise their children, and it spirals. Not too fucking complicated. And CRT is not taught in elementary schools like these assholes preach, and it doesn't teach "all white people are inherently bad." These assholes are so infuriating.

ETA: And I would love to see the elementary school in Illinois that received $5.1 Billion for Equity and Diversity. They must throw the greatest Cinco de Mayo and Kwanza parties EVAR!
Nuanced conversation has no place in conservative politics. Zero. They need to maintain ragevotes from the white grievance community. Honest discussion kills this.

One of the classes in my master's program (organizational behavior) required that I read chapters from the book What If I Say The Wrong Thing by Verna Myers.

It lays out moments in time where our inherent biases have been conditioned by society to lean in certain ways and we don't realize it until it's pointed out. You can kinda pin this in the realm of CRT.

And it beautifully lays out a non-racial example of this to show the reader that it isn't wrong that you thought a certain way, but more that you have to be aware (ya know, the original meaning of 'woke') of yourself in other areas too. And to not be afraid of changing yourself to be better.

The example, paraphrased: You're a city planner. You're part of a team that designs the locations of buildings, streets, parks, parking lots, etc...But at the end of the project you missed some things: accessibility for disabled people. No ramps at the corners of intersections. No bolded lines in the ground to assist the blind with walking sticks. No extra wide toilet stalls. No wide elevator openings. Etc. How did that happen? Are you discriminatory against disabled folks? Nope. Everyone throughout the planning team was able bodied and you operated in an environment full of groupthink. It didn't even cross your mind that people who aren't like you were also going to use this city so it didn't accommodate them.

Now, if you substitute 'black' examples (or women, or LGBTQ, etc..) for the 'disabled' ones in that scenario, it makes the point. The system itself was designed in a way to not be inclusive to all - right, wrong, or indifferent. It had a blind spot (or several of them) and since it was never corrected, pointing out the necessary change to make it better is important.

But now the perception is favoritism or special privilege. Conservatives double down on the perception because they know - they all went to the Ivy League schools where this shit is taught - it's all bullshit. They only care about power and nothing else. They have to keep the poor, white rubes in a perpetual state of paranoia because 'The Other' trying to change their country.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ilhan Omar was removed from her committee assignment today. AOC was pissed.