NFL Week 21 - The Final Four

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 21 - The Final Four

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:02 pm That's crushing. What a dumb fucking penalty.
He was exhausted. No intent. Good call, but sometimes shit happens. Ossai is a really good dude and a good young player.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He’ll never win Father of the Year but Andy Reid is a hell of a coach.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

That late hit went from a prayer of a 60 yarder to an 85% success rate (Butker’s career).

Just backbreaking.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:18 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:02 pm That's crushing. What a dumb fucking penalty.
He was exhausted. No intent. Good call, but sometimes shit happens. Ossai is a really good dude and a good young player.
He was devastated on the sideline.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:15 pm
A_B wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:06 pm
EdRomero wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:54 pm "Yep it's intentional grounding because the receivers are both wide.." shows a replay with a running back right near where the ball was thrown. Former refs in the booth is such NFL propaganda
I disagree. He threw it at ol feet. Needed a bit more air to get that call.
I thought it was just getting past the line of scrimmage. Mahomes shorted a ball by 10 yards on the next possesion without comment. At the very least, acknowledge the player near the ball and don't act like an expert ref only talking about 2 of the elgible receivers on the play and ignoring the rest.
But mahonés had his arm hit I thought which gives you more leeway.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:21 pm
That was brutal to watch.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:23 pm
EdRomero wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:15 pm
A_B wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:06 pm
EdRomero wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:54 pm "Yep it's intentional grounding because the receivers are both wide.." shows a replay with a running back right near where the ball was thrown. Former refs in the booth is such NFL propaganda
I disagree. He threw it at ol feet. Needed a bit more air to get that call.
I thought it was just getting past the line of scrimmage. Mahomes shorted a ball by 10 yards on the next possesion without comment. At the very least, acknowledge the player near the ball and don't act like an expert ref only talking about 2 of the elgible receivers on the play and ignoring the rest.
But mahonés had his arm hit I thought which gives you more leeway.
Yeah, that's what twitter saying. Although Burrow is getting twisted but his throwing motioned looked more like a spike. I think if it's not called on Burrows, nobody would have mentioned it. And is the rule different for when QB's basically spike the ball on busted screen plays?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

To be fair officiating was pretty weird all night. But I get what you’re saying in the overall sense. If they called it real time Ande not after conferring I think it would be less of an issue.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jerloma wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:23 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:21 pm
That was brutal to watch.
I remember growing up my mom was always talking about this stuff after big games and now I’ve aged into it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I cried in my last senior league game because coach put me in at 3b instead of my natural 1b. And we won the league that year! just a pissboy. Not sure why I’ve told you all rhis
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

They've now changed to red for the Chiefs, but this seemed like an odd choice.

How do you all get your death notices since I left?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

EdRomero wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:30 pm Yeah, that's what twitter saying. Although Burrow is getting twisted but his throwing motioned looked more like a spike. I think if it's not called on Burrows, nobody would have mentioned it. And is the rule different for when QB's basically spike the ball on busted screen plays?
if the running back is behind the line of scrimmage and is thrown at his feet, then there's no call. but in that case, Perine was beyond the LOS and the ball didn't get past it. the LOS was the 19, the ball landed at the 15 and Perine was at the 22. Hurst was at the 20 and further to the right

it was absolutely the correct call that I think looks more controversial than it actually is because the officials took a while to make the call
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This was kinda funny. And then you realize this is what we'll be dealing with for 2 weeks.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I like Kelce, he brings some fun to the game. He is clearly trying to be a wrestling heal and if it doesn’t come with a 15 yard penalty, go nuts.

BTW, what did the mayor of Cincy say or do?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:38 am I like Kelce, he brings some fun to the game. He is clearly trying to be a wrestling heal and if it doesn’t come with a 15 yard penalty, go nuts.

Except I'm about 99 percent certain he's a Trumper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:54 pm I have grown very tired of Romo.
At one point during the review of a call to see if KC would have 3rd/short or first down (I think it was the stretch for the first, but I don't recall for certain), Romo was flippantly saying it wasn't a big deal because you could just run a quarterback sneak if it was short.

With Mahomes. When they're trying to protect his ankle. When he would need to push into the pile to gain the first.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:47 am
At one point during the review of a call to see if KC would have 3rd/short or first down (I think it was the stretch for the first, but I don't recall for certain), Romo was flippantly saying it wasn't a big deal because you could just run a quarterback sneak if it was short.

With Mahomes. When they're trying to protect his ankle. When he would need to push into the pile to gain the first.
He was also effusively praising that interception on the tip in the fourth quarter as well, without recognizing that it was third down and the INT resulted in a net of 50 yards of field position. I'm sure Cincy would have gladly taken a punt with a net of 50 yards on the ensuing 4th down. It was a nice play, but had zero effect on KC's chances of winning the game.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the ankle isn't even a factor in a potential QB sneak for Mahomes and the Chiefs because they literally have not run a quarterback sneak with him since the knee injury in Denver. given how many games that crew has called for KC over the past few years, you'd think that would have been more top of mind.
Last edited by Brontoburglar on Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:25 am This was kinda funny. And then you realize this is what we'll be dealing with for 2 weeks.
nah. fairly confident that won't be the case.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:38 am I like Kelce, he brings some fun to the game. He is clearly trying to be a wrestling heal and if it doesn’t come with a 15 yard penalty, go nuts.

He tried to make some joke on Twitter about Joe Burrow being Mahomes' daddy (hence Jerry Springer reference (even though that is more appropriate if it was Maury Povich)) which fell flat and major cringe. I believe the mayor apologized for it after a day or two. Kelce is also from Cleveland so there is that added factor to the persecution complex.

Mahomes also made a reference in the on field post game about going to smoke some cigars which was another shot at the Bengals. I know Eli Apple and his mom talked a bunch of trash but other than that and the mayor thing the Bengals have been pretty chirp-free so whatever slight the Chiefs need to feel to motivate themselves more power to them.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:45 am

Except I'm about 99 percent certain he's a Trumper.
Kelce?? You might be right but I wouldn't think he is.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:05 pm

He was also effusively praising that interception on the tip in the fourth quarter as well, without recognizing that it was third down and the INT resulted in a net of 50 yards of field position. I'm sure Cincy would have gladly taken a punt with a net of 50 yards on the ensuing 4th down. It was a nice play, but had zero effect on KC's chances of winning the game.
And only because Higgins made a really nice play to make the tackle.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:17 pm

To be sure, it was a great tackle as well, but it seems like these announcers are sometimes so caught up on a play-by-play basis they neglect to look at the big picture and that was about as "good" of an interception as you'll ever see from the perspective of how it changed Cinci's win expectation (I would guess -- almost not at all or certainly no less than the same net punt on 4th down.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:29 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:17 pm

To be sure, it was a great tackle as well, but it seems like these announcers are sometimes so caught up on a play-by-play basis they neglect to look at the big picture and that was about as "good" of an interception as you'll ever see from the perspective of how it changed Cinci's win expectation (I would guess -- almost not at all or certainly no less than the same net punt on 4th down.
Got it, I misunderstood your original statement.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian