Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thank you for your service.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

degenerasian wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:18 pm Velma has literally hit so low that its now IMDB's lowest rated television show in history. And they're still talking about a second season. I had to jump in and watch the first two episodes and I can agree, its truly awful.

I can't even describe how awful the characters are, how outright mean the scripting is, especially Velma who is amazingly one of the most unlikeable characters that I've ever seen. The animation is terrible except for these brilliant I guess you'd call them dream sequences.

On top of it, its not really Scooby Doo, there's no dog
I had no interest in watching Velma, but suddenly I am tempted to watch to see how bad it is.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Started Fleishman is in Trouble. First two episodes were ok, showed how horrible going through a divorce with kids can be, while also showing a girtty, graphic portrayal of constant sexual encounters through dating apps for a doctor in NYC who never had much luck dating prior to his 15 year marriage. That was intriguing. But man, episode 3 they weaved in a lot of flashbacks to how they met and going through their dating and early marriage, and it was just so realistic and well done. Episode 4 was particularly relatable for me, seeing a NYC guy living a suburban NJ day at the community pool. Somehow I didn't notice that Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) was playing Lizzy Caplan's husband.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:41 pmseeing a NYC guy living a suburban NJ day at the community pool.
I bet if I wrote this scene it would match up ~90% with how the show did it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:41 pm Started Fleishman is in Trouble. First two episodes were ok, showed how horrible going through a divorce with kids can be, while also showing a girtty, graphic portrayal of constant sexual encounters through dating apps for a doctor in NYC who never had much luck dating prior to his 15 year marriage. That was intriguing. But man, episode 3 they weaved in a lot of flashbacks to how they met and going through their dating and early marriage, and it was just so realistic and well done. Episode 4 was particularly relatable for me, seeing a NYC guy living a suburban NJ day at the community pool. Somehow I didn't notice that Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) was playing Lizzy Caplan's husband.
Wife and I listened to the book on a road trip and... By the end of it we just didn't like anyone involved. We were so annoyed by the end.

I kind of want to check into the show, because sometimes it's just that the narrator starts to wear on you.

The doc getting all that tail was pretty funny in the book... until it was kind of just a bit much.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:47 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:41 pm Started Fleishman is in Trouble. First two episodes were ok, showed how horrible going through a divorce with kids can be, while also showing a girtty, graphic portrayal of constant sexual encounters through dating apps for a doctor in NYC who never had much luck dating prior to his 15 year marriage. That was intriguing. But man, episode 3 they weaved in a lot of flashbacks to how they met and going through their dating and early marriage, and it was just so realistic and well done. Episode 4 was particularly relatable for me, seeing a NYC guy living a suburban NJ day at the community pool. Somehow I didn't notice that Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) was playing Lizzy Caplan's husband.
Wife and I listened to the book on a road trip and... By the end of it we just didn't like anyone involved. We were so annoyed by the end.

I kind of want to check into the show, because sometimes it's just that the narrator starts to wear on you.

The doc getting all that tail was pretty funny in the book... until it was kind of just a bit much.
The 11 yo daughter being an enormous bitch, hating everything he says or does and being obsessed with how her friends will perceive everything makes me fee so much better as my daughter is going through a similar stage, but way watered down in comparison. I loved the line, "I know you think you hate me and everything I do right now, but I know you really don't." That, and the responding eye roll from the daughter as she walks away and refuses to hug him as she goes off the camp was perfect.

I try not to react to the eye rolls, and my daughter doesn't even realize she is doing it half the time. Fucking drives me nuts.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This was all I needed to see.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I read the book a while back and had a real hard time keeping going with the viciousness the narrator used to describe his wife and their interactions. Is the show like that, or is it toned down?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:38 pm

I read the book a while back and had a real hard time keeping going with the viciousness the narrator used to describe his wife and their interactions. Is the show like that, or is it toned down?
I'm probably too early on to comment, but at the halfway mark, he doesn't so much describe her viciously, but episode 4 showed a lot of scenes where she put her career before the kids or her husband, and she is pretty horrible about not respecting his profession (doctor) or salary (he once mentioned he makes over $300,000). Actually, everyone in his wife's orbit patronizes him for having such a frivolous low paying career. Her actions are pretty horrible and you make your own determination, so I could see that as being less tiresome in the show.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Oh, YEAH... Oh that shit was so annoying about the salaries. Like, c'mon. I get that is part of why they were so dysfunctional and off-kilter. And I'm sure that exists in the world.

But it seemed really hard to believe or take seriously.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I read the book, and something about it just struck me as "wrong", and I didn't really like it. So I've taken a pass on the TV show.
[+] spoiler
In the book, he decides that he should be with one of the younger doctors he works with. Classic definition of sexual harassment in the workplace...and it just passes without any consequences.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

How they doing Rick and Morty and dissociating with its creator and one of its voices exactly?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:03 pm How they doing Rick and Morty and dissociating with its creator and one of its voices exactly?
Same way they do Disney toys and tv shows expansion after the hit movie. Get someone who sounds a whole lot like him (Learned last week that Tom Hank's brother does lots of voice work for Woody).

My question is if (per his attorney) this is a big mistake and misunderstanding, would they let him back?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Catching up on What We Do In The Shadows and I did not have…..
[+] spoiler
Vampires beheading Sofia Coppola
…on my TV bingo card from last year.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My wife is a fan of author Louise Penny and her series of Inspector Gamache mysteries. So, we just got Prime, primarily so we can watch Three Pines, which is based on the books. Saw the first two episodes tonight and I might be hooked. Alfred Molina is great in the lead role.

(Now that we have Amazon Prime video, I’ll also watch Vengeance. Other recs?)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:23 am My wife is a fan of author Louise Penny and her series of Inspector Gamache mysteries. So, we just got Prime, primarily so we can watch Three Pines, which is based on the books. Saw the first two episodes tonight and I might be hooked. Alfred Molina is great in the lead role.

There's an absolutely hilarious English comedy "Friday Night Dinners"
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:23 am My wife is a fan of author Louise Penny and her series of Inspector Gamache mysteries. So, we just got Prime, primarily so we can watch Three Pines, which is based on the books. Saw the first two episodes tonight and I might be hooked. Alfred Molina is great in the lead role.

I read the first book last year and I enjoyed it. Will have to check this out.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Prime recs off the top of my head: The Boys, The Expanse, Fleabag, Good Omens, The Devil’s Hour
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:44 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:03 pm How they doing Rick and Morty and dissociating with its creator and one of its voices exactly?
Same way they do Disney toys and tv shows expansion after the hit movie. Get someone who sounds a whole lot like him (Learned last week that Tom Hank's brother does lots of voice work for Woody).

My question is if (per his attorney) this is a big mistake and misunderstanding, would they let him back?
This is a rabbit hole, but the podcast I listen to with David Spade and Dana Carvey did a whole Chris Farley Remembrance thing (2 parts... interviews were mostly good, got a little repetitive.)

Anyways, they had one of his brothers on and when he did some of Chris' bits, it was uncanny... And I forgot that Farley was originally going to be Shrek. He passed away 5 days from them wrapping the voice work. They asked this guy to finish it, but he was too distraught and I guess they went with Plan B (mike meyers - Scottish... Hard to think of the movie without Meyer and that accent.)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:44 am

I read the first book last year and I enjoyed it. Will have to check this out.
My wife hooked me into this one also. Good show.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

phxgators wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:01 am

Prime recs off the top of my head: The Boys, The Expanse, Fleabag, Good Omens, The Devil’s Hour
I can wholeheartedly endorse Fleabag and The Boys. The others get high ratings/are well regarded, I just haven't gotten to them or they don't really interest me.

Tales from the Loop is a trippy, quasi-Sci Fi type deal. Kind of hard to describe. It's kind of like a series of short stories that all kind of tie together. It's set in the near future, but has funky mix of retrograde technology in place, so almost like an alternate plane type thing.

Red Oaks is a pretty good coming of age, comedy set at a CC in Jersey. Charming, but with kind of an edge. Kind of starts to peter out in S2, but if you just watch S1 it's worth it.

The Wilds feels like it's going to be a Lost retread... But it's not. Very good plane crash on island... Wait, wtf is going on type deal.

The Man in the High Castle has an amazing S1, but I lost steam somewhere in S2.

Mozart in the Jungle is mostly charming and will likely make your wife happy that you put it on.

The Wheel of Time is a fantasy thriller type thing that I enjoyed (the wife bailed).

This is a pretty good list: https://www.pastemagazine.com/tv/amazon ... me-series/
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I almost completely neglect Amazon Prime. Early on, my wife started watching a lot on Prime without creating a separate user profile, so it's completely inundated with her shit. I had a lot in the queue and I was too lazy to create a second profile and rebuild my queue. That said, I really enjoyed The Boys, and I very rarely enjoy comic book shows. It's kind of the anti-super hero show. The violence is so over-the-top that it's comical. There is a fair amount of humor thrown in at odd times, which keeps you off balance. Pure evil corporation, Giancarlo Esposito, and a ton of shots at Trump (the main super hero clearly borrows heavily from Trump's personality and political rallies). Great show.

I want to love Man in the High Castle, but it got super weird with the Sci-Fi aspects. I absolutely loved the alternate history aspect, and they create a very real and detailed world in the show. It's very cool how they had the Nazi's control the Eastern US, the Japanese controlling the West, and a Wild West central zone. So cool how they depicted Germany as a utopian society filled with peace and love in some ways technologically more advanced than the US today (It took place in 1962). I thought it jumped the shark around the 3rd season, but I accepted the premise and went back to enjoying it. Some of the Sci-Fi stuff in the final few episodes didn't do it for me, but overall, it's an incredibly well made show and worth watching, if you are into WWII history and politics and alternative histories.

ETA: Forgot to add Zero Zero Zero, and Italian crime series involving Mexican cartels, and US shipping magnates. It jumps around essentially between three different shows related to the the same cocaine shipment. Only 8 episodes and not brought back for a second season.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:03 am
phxgators wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:01 am

I can wholeheartedly endorse Fleabag and The Boys. The others get high ratings/are well regarded, I just haven't gotten to them or they don't really interest me.

Tales from the Loop is a trippy, quasi-Sci Fi type deal. Kind of hard to describe. It's kind of like a series of short stories that all kind of tie together. It's set in the near future, but has funky mix of retrograde technology in place, so almost like an alternate plane type thing.

Red Oaks is a pretty good coming of age, comedy set at a CC in Jersey. Charming, but with kind of an edge. Kind of starts to peter out in S2, but if you just watch S1 it's worth it.

The Wilds feels like it's going to be a Lost retread... But it's not. Very good plane crash on island... Wait, wtf is going on type deal.

The Man in the High Castle has an amazing S1, but I lost steam somewhere in S2.

Mozart in the Jungle is mostly charming and will likely make your wife happy that you put it on.

The Wheel of Time is a fantasy thriller type thing that I enjoyed (the wife bailed).

This is a pretty good list: https://www.pastemagazine.com/tv/amazon ... me-series/
Alpha House. One of the first series Amazon did is fantastic. Done by Doonesbury's creator about 4 republican senators sharing a house (based on a true story). John Goodman, Wanda S., Bill Murray appearances. Only 2 seasons but basically was just ahead of its time.

Also Tales from the Loop was based on a book/art.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Seconding "Fleabag."

Just a great show.
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:20 pm I don't remember his Seinfeld appearance but for some reason Night Court is the second thing I associate with him after a couple of Christmas songs.
Comedy Central RIGHT NOW!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:04 pm Seconding "Fleabag."

Just a great show.
Thirded.

I'll also echo support for The Boys and The Expanse.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I need to circle back on The Expanse. Not sure why that one fell off...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:39 pm I need to circle back on The Expanse. Not sure why that one fell off...
My wife and I were lamenting that the Expanse is over. Such a great TV and book series.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Paul T. Goldman on the 'cock is...something. I enjoyed it, but I'm going to do some reading to figure out what was real and what wasn't.

We're going to give Poker Face a try, too. So lots of 'cock this week.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So exactly opposite of all Swampers’ wives?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I should have also mentioned I also watched some PL matches this week. Neglecting the balls definitely sounds like Swamp wives.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

You have to mind the stepchildren!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Finished the latest "Jack Ryan" on Amazon yesterday morning (yay for insomnia). Pretty standard fare, but really nice looking and well made, and I'd watch Wendell Pierce ("Bunk" from The Wire) in just about anything.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:34 pm
I read the book, and something about it just struck me as "wrong", and I didn't really like it. So I've taken a pass on the TV show.
[+] spoiler
In the book, he decides that he should be with one of the younger doctors he works with. Classic definition of sexual harassment in the workplace...and it just passes without any consequences.
[+] spoiler
I thought the show did a great job with that scene. Sounds like it was a bigger deal in the book, but like one minute in the show. The younger doctor was praising him for being such a great teacher and consoling him for not getting the promotion. He just asked if he could take her to dinner and realized what a bad idea that was when she was visibly uncomfortable, said no and walked out. He was sputtering to apologize.
I finished the series, it had some incredibly gripping moments. At times it was great, at times it was just ok. I did love the episode where they showed everything from Claire Danes' character's POV, and you realized maybe she wasn't a horrible person, just deeply wounded as a child and had a mental breakdown. I like how they made it seem like maybe it was Toby's fault, at least in part, as he was a heartless prick. Anyways, so many moments in this show resonated, particularly as I am working in NYC for the first time in 15 years, and being in the City reminds me so much of my glorious single days and dating my wife. While I didn't ever have the thought that I lost myself in my marriage or being a father, I do relate to the characters feeling that way, I just never had the time to think about it, because between work and the kids' shit, there is always something going on.
[+] spoiler
I wasn't a fan of how it ended, where it seemed like the entire show was Libby's book and not real. Especially didn't like how she told Toby how the book would end, and then that was the last scene of the show. Sort of made the entire series seem pointless in a way.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The 3rd episode of "The Last Of Us"....wow....just wow. Stellar TV. Never imagined I'd get choked up (and the GF was in full on tears) watching a zombie apocalypse show. And Nick Offerman....just give him an Emmy now.

And be ready for the Linda Ronstadt "Kate Bush-Running Up That Hill" resurrection. Because its coming...and I'm 100% onboard for it.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:07 am The 3rd episode of "The Last Of Us"....wow....just wow. Stellar TV. Never imagined I'd get choked up (and the GF was in full on tears) watching a zombie apocalypse show. And Nick Offerman....just give him an Emmy now.

And be ready for the Linda Ronstadt "Kate Bush-Running Up That Hill" resurrection. Because its coming...and I'm 100% onboard for it.
Agreed all around. That might have been one of the best hours of TV I've ever seen. Also, a revival of that particular song would be most welcome.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:07 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:07 am The 3rd episode of "The Last Of Us"....wow....just wow. Stellar TV. Never imagined I'd get choked up (and the GF was in full on tears) watching a zombie apocalypse show. And Nick Offerman....just give him an Emmy now.

Agreed all around. That might have been one of the best hours of TV I've ever seen. Also, a revival of that particular song would be most welcome.
Total agreement. It was a very interesting choice to take Ep 3 of a major show and make it mostly about two completely new characters, but it totally worked. I'm loving this show. I've found myself trolling eBay for an old Playstation and copy of that game...
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It’s free to download if you have ps plus I think. Will work on 4 or 5
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.