Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by tennbengal »

Just re-watched it.

Yeah. that was almost literally perfect. Not sure I've ever seen a better episode of any tv show.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:21 pm Just re-watched it.

Yeah. that was almost literally perfect. Not sure I've ever seen a better episode of any tv show.
Fuck, now I have to watch the show. My parents were pushing it on me, too. So much to watch!!!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:32 am Paul T. Goldman on the 'cock is...something. I enjoyed it, but I'm going to do some reading to figure out what was real and what wasn't.
I hadn't heard of it until I heard an interview with the Director the other day. Just watched the first couple of episodes, and it's one of the best things I have seen in a long time.
Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Dammit Nick Offerman
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:50 pm
rass wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:32 am Paul T. Goldman on the 'cock is...something. I enjoyed it, but I'm going to do some reading to figure out what was real and what wasn't.
I hadn't heard of it until I heard an interview with the Director the other day. Just watched the first couple of episodes, and it's one of the best things I have seen in a long time.
It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize how much was real. Like the flashbacks to 2012 or something were really footage from 2012!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Re: The Last of Us.

Watched episodes 2 and 3 back to back with my wife. (It's our new show to watch together.)

She was absolutely bawling during episode 3. And holy shit what a fucking episode. If that doesn't win some type of award the award givers are fucking up. It was outstanding. I just did not expect an episode like that.

Man.

Edit:

Lol.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I have made that drive many a time, and yeah, I said...that doesn't look like Boston's outskirts to me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:16 pm
tennbengal wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:07 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:07 am The 3rd episode of "The Last Of Us"....wow....just wow. Stellar TV. Never imagined I'd get choked up (and the GF was in full on tears) watching a zombie apocalypse show. And Nick Offerman....just give him an Emmy now.

And be ready for the Linda Ronstadt "Kate Bush-Running Up That Hill" resurrection. Because its coming...and I'm 100% onboard for it.
Agreed all around. That might have been one of the best hours of TV I've ever seen. Also, a revival of that particular song would be most welcome.
Total agreement. It was a very interesting choice to take Ep 3 of a major show and make it mostly about two completely new characters, but it totally worked. I'm loving this show. I've found myself trolling eBay for an old Playstation and copy of that game...
If I can dig out my old PS3 and verify that it works (after it got moved upstairs it mysteriously had more problems!) I'd send it to you. But I think I played the game on PS4 as a preinstall so I don't have a disc.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Wow, yeah, that was fucking intense.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I hadn't heard of it until I heard an interview with the Director the other day.
This interview is pretty good.

I was trying to avoid reading anything while watching and I think a little more background (just knowing this was really the result of a 10+ year project) would have helped.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:32 am
I hadn't heard of it until I heard an interview with the Director the other day.
This interview is pretty good.

I was trying to avoid reading anything while watching and I think a little more background (just knowing this was really the result of a 10+ year project) would have helped.
What a bizarre concept, I need to check this out now.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Watched the first episode of Cunk on Earth last night. Did have a number of laugh-out-loud moments, but not sure if her schtick will get old over a series (though it's only like 6 episodes.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:04 am I have made that drive many a time, and yeah, I said...that doesn't look like Boston's outskirts to me.
I saw Stephen King tweet something about that.

Given the geographic crimes he committed writing The Stand, he doesn't get to bitch.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Maybe it's set in an alternate timeline where Dunkins doesn't exist, making that a perfectly accurate view.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:53 pm Maybe it's set in an alternate timeline where Dunkins doesn't exist, making that a perfectly accurate view.
Is their secret ingredient mountains?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

There's also not an interstate 183 in Austin, or anywhere else. It's a U.S. highway with different signage.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Appalachian Trail runs through the Berkshires and is about 140 miles from Boston. With that said, a very quick search found a number of "mountains' that are typical of the NE easily within 40

They aren't going to be snowcapped, but it's not like MASS is some kind of flat plainlands. Mt. Pisgah (the most Masshole name I could find) is about 40 miles west of the city. And that's the city center out, so... Easily within range.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:26 pm The Appalachian Trail runs through the Berkshires and is about 140 miles from Boston. With that said, a very quick search found a number of "mountains' that are typical of the NE easily within 40

They aren't going to be snowcapped, but it's not like MASS is some kind of flat plainlands. Mt. Pisgah (the most Masshole name I could find) is about 40 miles west of the city. And that's the city center out, so... Easily within range.
Am I missing what you're seeing? Mt. Pisgah is in Vermont and 170+ miles away (as the crow flies).

Do you mean Waaaaa-waaaaaa-Wa-Chu-Sett Mountain? That's 40+ miles away (as the crow flies).
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm looking at a Berlin, MA which is about 40 miles west of Boston and is right next to a Mt. Pisgah.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Boston, ... 653708!3e0

Weirdly, there at least 3 Mt. Pisgah's. One in Oregon, one in NC and this one.

It's actually very close to the MT (and lake) that you posted. Just due east by looks like 10 miles maybe?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:15 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:16 pm
tennbengal wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:07 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:07 am The 3rd episode of "The Last Of Us"....wow....just wow. Stellar TV. Never imagined I'd get choked up (and the GF was in full on tears) watching a zombie apocalypse show. And Nick Offerman....just give him an Emmy now.

And be ready for the Linda Ronstadt "Kate Bush-Running Up That Hill" resurrection. Because its coming...and I'm 100% onboard for it.
Agreed all around. That might have been one of the best hours of TV I've ever seen. Also, a revival of that particular song would be most welcome.
Total agreement. It was a very interesting choice to take Ep 3 of a major show and make it mostly about two completely new characters, but it totally worked. I'm loving this show. I've found myself trolling eBay for an old Playstation and copy of that game...
If I can dig out my old PS3 and verify that it works (after it got moved upstairs it mysteriously had more problems!) I'd send it to you. But I think I played the game on PS4 as a preinstall so I don't have a disc.
Oooh. I'm pretty sure I had a PlayStation back in the day. We bought it just for the BluRay player. But it got the dreaded circle of death.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:08 pm I'm looking at a Berlin, MA which is about 40 miles west of Boston and is right next to a Mt. Pisgah.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Boston, ... 653708!3e0

Weirdly, there at least 3 Mt. Pisgah's. One in Oregon, one in NC and this one.

It's actually very close to the MT (and lake) that you posted. Just due east by looks like 10 miles maybe?
Gotcha. Unfortunately it's only 715' tall.

But yea, Google says 5 miles from my location to yours, actually.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

:D

Point is, damn state aint flat.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Well this sucks.
Hi Keith,

We have been working hard to renew our deal with the MLB Network to continue carrying their content on YouTube TV. However, we have been unable to reach an agreement, and starting today, January 31, 2023, MLB Network content will no longer be available on YouTube TV. You will also lose access to any previous Library recordings from this channel. Members will be able to continue watching select national MLB games via coverage on FOX, ESPN, and TBS through our Base Plan. We also provide the flexibility to pause or cancel your membership anytime.

We apologize for the news and will continue conversations with the MLB to advocate on your behalf, in the hope of restoring their content on YouTube TV.

As always, thank you for being a YouTube TV member, and for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,
The YouTube TV team
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

One episode in and Poker Face is pretty great.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:02 pm One episode in and Poker Face is pretty great.
Co-sign. I’ve seen three and it is excellent.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:07 pm
Edit:

Lol.

I figured it out...Bill and Frank were living in the small town that Vito (and JohnnyCakes) were in on that run of "Sopranos" episodes.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That sounds right. North Orange, NJ if I recall.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

[+] spoiler
The Last Of Us pissing off all the right people -- homophobes, Gamer Gaters, etc -- is an added bonus.

Finally caught up with the first three eps of The Last Of Us and it is great so far.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:12 am
[+] spoiler
The Last Of Us pissing off all the right people -- homophobes, Gamer Gaters, etc -- is an added bonus.

[+] spoiler
I'm sure the RightWing types that view the "Ron Swanson" as the patron saint of libertarianism were shocked and dismayed to discover that "Swanson" is just a character played by Nick Offerman.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Sorry to be a complete asshole but did someone attempt to rationalize a picture of an alpine forest as eastern Massachusetts because parts of Massachusetts aren't flat?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:07 pm Watched the first episode of Cunk on Earth last night. Did have a number of laugh-out-loud moments, but not sure if her schtick will get old over a series (though it's only like 6 episodes.)
Looking forward to that one.

Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

When I see shit like this I just think it's all a game and the joke's on us.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Capitalism, baby.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:07 pm Watched the first episode of Cunk on Earth last night. Did have a number of laugh-out-loud moments, but not sure if her schtick will get old over a series (though it's only like 6 episodes.)
Watched the first tw episodes of Cunk on Earth last evening and had the same reaction. Laugh out loud funny at times, but it wears on you after a while. The reactions from the expert nterviewees are great.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ryan wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:55 am Sorry to be a complete asshole but did someone attempt to rationalize a picture of an alpine forest as eastern Massachusetts because parts of Massachusetts aren't flat?
No, but a lot of the comments were basically acting like the scene is crazy unrealistic because they were in mountainous terrain.

The overall point is valid, but when I scrolled through a lot of the comments it was very ignorant of what it looks like 40 miles outside of Boston.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:45 am
Ryan wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:55 am Sorry to be a complete asshole but did someone attempt to rationalize a picture of an alpine forest as eastern Massachusetts because parts of Massachusetts aren't flat?
No, but a lot of the comments were basically acting like the scene is crazy unrealistic because they were in mountainous terrain.

The overall point is valid, but when I scrolled through a lot of the comments it was very ignorant of what it looks like 40 miles outside of Boston.
For me it was that the opening chryon said "10 miles outside of Boston" and they were in a forest, with no buildings around. That's what threw me off.

But its just a zombie apocalypse show...so no need to get worked up about little details like that.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Exactly right. I was really just reacting to the folks that were incredulous that there is wilderness and mountainous terrain 40 miles outside of Boston. As with most cities, 40 miles is a long fucking way and things get pretty rural/country pretty damn fast.

But, yeah, 10 miles is a stretch.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:49 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:45 am

For me it was that the opening chryon said "10 miles outside of Boston" and they were in a forest, with no buildings around. That's what threw me off.

But its just a zombie apocalypse show...so no need to get worked up about little details like that.
Not gonna overcomplicate this but they were kinda damned if they do and damned if they don't because if they say "40 miles outside of Boston" the question becomes how did they traverse that distance so quickly on foot.

Better to just let the suspension of disbelief wash over you, as noted by someone else especially in a show about a zombie apocalypse.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

They could have also just filmed in the regular woods and not Lake Damn Louise. I gotta go back and watch the Parks & Rec finale to see how Pawnee National Park looked
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm definitely someone that has trouble with this stuff, usually.

I can't remember what movie it was (one of the early Tom Clancy's?) but they had this elaborate chase scene through DC and at one point the protagonist ducked into the Georgetown metro station.

Like. C'mon.