The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:Whenever I see Rush's new avatar, ,I think that Ed Romero has returned to the Swamp.
And then you are disappointed that it is just Rush.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Whenever I see Rush's new avatar, ,I think that Ed Romero has returned to the Swamp.
So am I.

(Ed told me he's staying away because every time he leaves the Swamp the Sox win the Series.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rush2112 wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
So am I.

(Ed told me he's staying away because every time he leaves the Swamp the Sox win the Series.)
I hereby announce my retirement in April 2018.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giddy up! I may have to make my way over there on Sunday. Sounds like a nice reward for putting up with the inlaws on Easter.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Got back to the apparently shitty BuyRite with a bottle and filled up on the Kane Head High. It is pretty good. My dad got the Captain Lawrence IPA. I'll try that tomorrow.

Went out to dinner tonight and had Ommegang Hop House on tap. They also had SN Ruthless Rye, which I really like. Plus great fucking burgers.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I really like the Captain Lawrence pale and whatever their bomber DIPA is, but I do not like the IPA. And I've tried, because I like them and the idea of them as a great NY area local.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also, I think my first trip was during my "absence", Peekskill Brewery in NY is amazing. Either they're going to be a major player down the road or the head brewer (formerly of Ithaca, who I don't believe has ownership stake in Peekskill) is going to break off and make something else big. They have a coffee pale ale which shouldn't work and does tremendously, plus easily the best IPA I've had in the state (and top 5 overall) in Higher Standard. As of right now they don't bottle and only ship to a select few bars in NYC so you have to seek them out hard to find them, but totally worth it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

I haven't had Capt Lawrence's IPA, but their triple IPA(seeking alpha) is outstanding.

I had a second bottle of Maine's Another One tonight. I seriously under rated it the first time. It is fantastic. Totally worth the price of admission.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

devilfluff wrote:I haven't had Capt Lawrence's IPA, but their triple IPA(seeking alpha) is outstanding.

I had a second bottle of Maine's Another One tonight. I seriously under rated it the first time. It is fantastic. Totally worth the price of admission.
Hey Fluff, you're on the clock for the mock NFL draft ...
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I got a four-pack of Stone at Costoco. Loved the Black IPA but not a fan of the Arrogant Bastard. It was a good beer, I could tell that, but it just didn't resonate with me. Still have the IPA and Russian Imperial to go.

Got a sixer of the Bell's Oberon tonight. Looking forward to trying that. It may be a party beer for two weeks from now. I'm going to want good beers that I can drink multiples of.

My buddy found a Founder's KBS four-pack tonight. Apparently the cashier told him to age the crap out of it. I've never seen it around here and I really want to find it. Looks incredible.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Sabo wrote:
devilfluff wrote:I haven't had Capt Lawrence's IPA, but their triple IPA(seeking alpha) is outstanding.

Hey Fluff, you're on the clock for the mock NFL draft ...
My pick will be in shortly.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Brontoburglar wrote:My buddy found a Founder's KBS four-pack tonight. Apparently the cashier told him to age the crap out of it. I've never seen it around here and I really want to find it. Looks incredible.
I hunted the hell out of my area to score 1 bottle. It pretty much sells out the day shops release it. It is very good. Sometimes I question if it is worth the chase, though.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:My buddy found a Founder's KBS four-pack tonight. Apparently the cashier told him to age the crap out of it. I've never seen it around here and I really want to find it. Looks incredible.
I hunted the hell out of my area to score 1 bottle. It pretty much sells out the day shops release it. It is very good. Sometimes I question if it is worth the chase, though.

I talked to sales guys in 2 stores that had it. They both said it never touched the shelves. They were held for a people on a waiting list. However good the beer is, nothing could match the hype.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I always hate those "I found this rare and awesome beer on the goddamn shelf" stories unless I'm the one telling it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

So the wife is down for the Garden State Beer Fest. Who is with me? Cerrano? Rass? Any of you South Jersyites or New Yorkers?
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

The Sybian wrote:So the wife is down for the Garden State Beer Fest. Who is with me? Cerrano? Rass? Any of you South Jersyites or New Yorkers?
i wish. mrs. cerrano bought (off) broadway tix to celebrate her best friend's bday, so i'm as happy as joe biden at church*.

* i just feel like he'd be dying to get out of there so he could race his hotwheels and watch "the baseball bunch"
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

The Sybian wrote:So the wife is down for the Garden State Beer Fest. Who is with me? Cerrano? Rass? Any of you South Jersyites or New Yorkers?
It's the 10th, right? I'll check with the wife if we have plans. She is usually down for a beerfest, though.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote:
It's the 10th, right? I'll check with the wife if we have plans. She is usually down for a beerfest, though.

Yep. Here is a link to the site. In the last week or so, they greatly increased the list of breweries from 10 or 12 to over 50.

http://gardenstatebrewfest.com/
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You can park in our driveway. Its a nice driveway.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:You can park in our driveway. Its a nice driveway.
Park? That car ain't driving itself home. I walked home last time, 3 miles iirc, but it was nice to walk off the drunk a bit before going home to child rearing duties. "Marge, send the kids to the neighbors, I'm coming home loaded." My wife didn't find that funny the first time I said it during that walk, but I think she found it funny the 30th time. I could tell by her stopping her persistent drone of telling me to shut up.

Thanks for the offer, I may come back later that day and park in your front yard or living room, depending on how much later I it is.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

For whatever reason Deschutes Brewery now has a huge presence in Lexington. Got a big bottle of Stonehenge Emperimental IPA saturday and really liked it.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

AB_skin_test wrote:For whatever reason Deschutes Brewery now has a huge presence in Lexington. Got a big bottle of Stonehenge Emperimental IPA saturday and really liked it.
Yeah, my store had about 5 different types of it when I was there Friday. It seemed like more than before.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't think I could walk 3 miles post-beerfest without peeing.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:I don't think I could walk 3 miles post-beerfest without peeing.
Permission to use your driveway?
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Didn't you start a separate thread already? And why do they keep scheduling this on Mother's Day weekend? How about we just get a couple of beers at some point without the trappings of a festival?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

They have a big indoor/outdoor higher-end food court in downtown San Jose with a variety of bars and good food vendors. Great place to go before a Sharks' game. But, among many food and drink choices, the vendor that caught my eye was this: I saw a long lineup of guys alongside a huge wall of refrigerated craft beer selections. You get in line, and grab a big bottle of beer from the wall fridge as the line takes you past the selection you choose. At the front of the line, you pay and they give you a pint beer glass and open your bottle for you (You are required to drink it on-premises). What a great business. They quickly sell tons of great beer, with almost no overhead or labor - just one guy at the register, and a helper to open bottles and occasionally re-stock.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

AB_skin_test wrote:For whatever reason Deschutes Brewery now has a huge presence in Lexington. Got a big bottle of Stonehenge Emperimental IPA saturday and really liked it.
Is that the Hophenge?

I really like that and the Chasin' Freshies IPA. Really solid IPAs.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
Didn't you start a separate thread already? And why do they keep scheduling this on Mother's Day weekend? How about we just get a couple of beers at some point without the trappings of a festival?
Sorry, Surly. I was going to suggest a Trap Rock meet up. Convenient for everyone except you and Cerrano.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote:
Is that the Hophenge?

I really like that and the Chasin' Freshies IPA. Really solid IPAs.

yes..Hop Henge..that was it.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I really like Deschutes. Their shelf beers are all good and reasonably priced, then the Abyss, Dissident, Black Butte anniversary, and Green Monster whales are all fantastic.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Trap Rock just put a relatively solid IPA on (Desperado) after having relatively terrible ones. Lack of high chairs costs them Mister D business.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Trap Rock just put a relatively solid IPA on (Desperado) after having relatively terrible ones. Lack of high chairs costs them Mister D business.
How short are you? Does Trap Rock still have their Scotch Ale on tap? Really wanted to try that.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No idea. Scotch ale is an always pass for me.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:
mister d wrote:Trap Rock just put a relatively solid IPA on (Desperado) after having relatively terrible ones. Lack of high chairs costs them Mister D business.
How short are you? Does Trap Rock still have their Scotch Ale on tap? Really wanted to try that.
I honestly read that as him bitching about short barstools (at first).

It's only 20 minutes away for me. Mondays and Wednesdays are no good for me, but otherwise I'm good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You guys go to the beer fest?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Lord have mercy - smooth and 11%. Every once in a while our provincial booze monopoly picks a winner.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:You guys go to the beer fest?
Sure did. My wife had several friends that were supposed to meet us there, and every one of them bailed last minute. One's kids was in a car accident (no excuse), one's dog got sick and had to go to vet, one went on meds for severe migraines, and one went AWOL. I was hoping she would have friends to entertain her. Kane won the Sybian's choice award, and it wasn't even close. They had a coffee milk porter that was absolutely amazing. Their Overhead DIPA was fantastic, 2. Brooklyn Brewery had a really nice beer called Cuvee Noir (I think). Highly unusual. Founders Elysian was fuckawful. Blood Orange mixed in. I was burping blood orange flavor 5 hours later. Carton's Boat session beer tasted like Coors Light. Super watery, no flavor. My wife even found it too watery and Amstel is her favorite beer. She really liked the Brooklyn Summer. It was OK, but not my taste at all.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Drank the shite out of MI beers last week.

Really hate not being able to get Bell's Two Hearted on a regular basis. Also stay the hell away from DragonMead's "Trippel." They call it Final Absolution and it's a sugar bomb. I had one and while at 10% it packs a punch one should not have a wicked hangover after 4 beers, this is not an isolated incident...two colleagues at the conference had the same problem after a just a few others and one Final Absolution.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Boat beer actually isn't that bad *if* you drink it as your first beer of the night. Can't go to it after a DIPA or even a legit IPA, but if you started with that and then had Coors Light, you'd notice the difference big time.

I nearly got that Elysian (not Founders, they're a usually solid Seattle brewery) at Wine Library yesterday but passed out of the exact fear you just confirmed.