Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:55 am Exactly right. I was really just reacting to the folks that were incredulous that there is wilderness and mountainous terrain 40 miles outside of Boston. As with most cities, 40 miles is a long fucking way and things get pretty rural/country pretty damn fast.

But, yeah, 10 miles is a stretch.
At ten miles outside of Boston they still had five hours of hike ahead of them - so ended up about 30-40 miles west of Boston to Bill and Frank Ville.

2023 is 20 years after the world ended, so things going back to forest not crazy - even 10 miles from Boston. As for types of trees, dunno, but I am reasonably certain pine forests abound not too far north of Boston into Maine. In any event, was kind of a weird thing to get hung up on, but then again I have been used to seeing shows shot in Memphis and Baltimore during the years I lived there and am pretty laid back with the liberties crews take to show surrounding vistas being completely accurate.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:20 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:49 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:45 am
Ryan wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:55 am Sorry to be a complete asshole but did someone attempt to rationalize a picture of an alpine forest as eastern Massachusetts because parts of Massachusetts aren't flat?
No, but a lot of the comments were basically acting like the scene is crazy unrealistic because they were in mountainous terrain.

The overall point is valid, but when I scrolled through a lot of the comments it was very ignorant of what it looks like 40 miles outside of Boston.
For me it was that the opening chryon said "10 miles outside of Boston" and they were in a forest, with no buildings around. That's what threw me off.

But its just a zombie apocalypse show...so no need to get worked up about little details like that.
Not gonna overcomplicate this but they were kinda damned if they do and damned if they don't because if they say "40 miles outside of Boston" the question becomes how did they traverse that distance so quickly on foot.

Better to just let the suspension of disbelief wash over you, as noted by someone else especially in a show about a zombie apocalypse.
15 minutes a mile is probably average and they had five hours of hiking ahead of them per Joel at the 10 mile from Boston mark. So a conservative 20 miles on top of the 10 they had already gone - if they move a bit quicker maybe 25 miles.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:09 am When I see shit like this I just think it's all a game and the joke's on us.

It took me a couple minutes to allow myself to believe it was the real Mike Lindell. I kept thinking it's gotta be the the actor, but it seemed like a better impersonation than normal. In one sense I respect someone who doesn't take themselves too seriously, but fuck, he ran for GOP Chair and the knock on him is that he is a fucking clown, and then he goes and proves it. Is he just that desperate for attention?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Isn't the better question why is Kimmel normalizing an active participant/funder of an insurrection?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:18 pm Isn't the better question why is Kimmel normalizing an active participant/funder of an insurrection?
Haven't watched, but that was certainly my take away from seeing that he was on the show. Did Kimmel eviscerate him?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:28 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:18 pm Isn't the better question why is Kimmel normalizing an active participant/funder of an insurrection?
Haven't watched, but that was certainly my take away from seeing that he was on the show. Did Kimmel eviscerate him?
Kimmel made him sit inside a crane machine and make fun of himself for not trusting machines for 9 minutes. I don't think he normalized Lindell, but made him look like a complete clown. How can anyone take him seriously? I think Kimmel delegitimizes Lindell's arguments by making him seem as moronic as he really is.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sitting in a stuffed animal crane machine on Jimmy Kimmel is akin to letting Jimmy Fallon play with your weird hair. It's normalizing and humanizing.

In order for someone to feel like they've been clowned they'd have to have an ultra defensive reaction to their 'clowning'. When you can play along, it completely disarms the clowning and shows you have a sense of humor.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think Kimmel thought he was pulling a Daily Show type move... It is not.

I agree those saying this was poorly executed by Kimmel. Not worth giving this guy what he craves.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:39 pmKimmel made him sit inside a crane machine and make fun of himself for not trusting machines for 9 minutes. I don't think he normalized Lindell, but made him look like a complete clown. How can anyone take him seriously? I think Kimmel delegitimizes Lindell's arguments by making him seem as moronic as he really is.
Again, think about this guy's societal role over the last ~2 years.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:39 pm
Kimmel made him sit inside a crane machine and make fun of himself for not trusting machines for 9 minutes. I don't think he normalized Lindell, but made him look like a complete clown. How can anyone take him seriously? I think Kimmel delegitimizes Lindell's arguments by making him seem as moronic as he really is.
Nah. It's like when Sean Spicer went on dancing with the stars or something stupid like that. It puts a human face malevolence.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:21 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:39 pm
Nah. It's like when Sean Spicer went on dancing with the stars or something stupid like that. It puts a human face malevolence.
I was going to mention Spicer and Rudy on the Masked Singer as being different. That normalized them, to me this is humiliating him and after seeing that, makes anything he says seem weaker. But whatever, not worth arguing, I totally understand where you guys are coming from and I was pissed when Spicer was on Dancing with the Stars, not that I've ever seen the show or care about it, but giving him a place in pop culture and treating him like a celebrity was normalizing Trump's liar in chief.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I dunno - the thing about Trump was that he was running for office. So Kimmel humanizing him mattered.

Mike Lindell isn't running for office. I'd be surprised if even half the country knows that he's so tied in with right wing nutjobbery. So I don't think it matters very much if Kimmel had him on the show.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:37 pm I dunno - the thing about Trump was that he was running for office. So Kimmel humanizing him mattered.

Mike Lindell isn't running for office. I'd be surprised if even half the country knows that he's so tied in with right wing nutjobbery. So I don't think it matters very much if Kimmel had him on the show.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:37 pm I dunno - the thing about Trump was that he was running for office. So Kimmel humanizing him mattered.

And I have a feeling that 80%+ of Kimmel's audience is in on the joke.
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Y’all see Ron Swanson and I see Armond, the suitcase shitter. We are not the same.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt IV wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:43 pm

There's no way this is true. I'm curious as to whether or not it's even 25%. Frankly, this is the mistake Democrats make time and time again. People tend to not give a crap. They want a way out of difficult situations, and putting Lindell in a dunk tank is just the way to rationalize things for them.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:50 pm
rass wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:32 am Paul T. Goldman on the 'cock is...something. I enjoyed it, but I'm going to do some reading to figure out what was real and what wasn't.
I hadn't heard of it until I heard an interview with the Director the other day. Just watched the first couple of episodes, and it's one of the best things I have seen in a long time.
There’s some amazingly good actors associated with this. It’s a bizarre show.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:45 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:50 pm
rass wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:32 am Paul T. Goldman on the 'cock is...something. I enjoyed it, but I'm going to do some reading to figure out what was real and what wasn't.
I hadn't heard of it until I heard an interview with the Director the other day. Just watched the first couple of episodes, and it's one of the best things I have seen in a long time.
There’s some amazingly good actors associated with this. It’s a bizarre show.
This guy is so obviously on the spectrum I have no idea until I watch this final episode if I should ultimately find this funny or not.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Goddamn if they don’t bring it home in the final episode. Well done.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:11 pm

There's no way this is true. I'm curious as to whether or not it's even 25%. Frankly, this is the mistake Democrats make time and time again. People tend to not give a crap. They want a way out of difficult situations, and putting Lindell in a dunk tank is just the way to rationalize things for them.
Kimmell's been ripping Trump, Lindell and all their acolytes for years. I'll stand by my original statement, but will add that I think the problem lies with the people and pundits who believe that the audiences for the talk shows is large enough to make an impact on elections.
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:04 am
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:11 pm

Kimmell's been ripping Trump, Lindell and all their acolytes for years. I'll stand by my original statement, but will add that I think the problem lies with the people and pundits who believe that the audiences for the talk shows is large enough to make an impact on elections.
Seriously, the ratings for late night shows are shockingly low. I don’t know how or why the networks continue paying the hosts’ salaries. I used to watch Seth Meyers’ clips regularly, his “Closer Look” was brilliant. This brought Kimmel clips to my YouTube feed, and he had the Lindell impersonator on a lot. If anyone watched Kimmel regularly, they probably know the fake Lindell more than the real one. My parents record Kimmel, Fallon and Meyers and just watch a few segments. They love the Lindell impersonator. They somehow make Lindell look even more insane and ridiculous than he is in real life.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'd imagine they get so much run from social media ads that the networks are still making decent money. Every week you have a Fallon or Kimmel or Daily Show gag show up in the feeds it seems.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Kimmel goes after Trump and his acolytes like Lindell every week. I would find it truly bizarre if someone tuned into that show, or watched any of his monologues on social, and didn't know how ardent he is about it.

And, yes, social media is taking up the slack. Those numbers are way up. But ppl are still watching stuff late at night.

Here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... y-1263679/
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:31 am Kimmel goes after Trump and his acolytes like Lindell every week. I would find it truly bizarre if someone tuned into that show, or watched any of his monologues on social, and didn't know how ardent he is about it.

And, yes, social media is taking up the slack. Those numbers are way up. But ppl are still watching stuff late at night.

Here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... y-1263679/
I am shocked by those numbers.
NBC’s late night lineup pulled in $334 million in TV ad revenue in 2018...
Canadian International
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:41 am Goddamn if they don’t bring it home in the final episode. Well done.
"Paul T. Goldman" was absolutely amazing from start to finish.
Canadian International
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Poker Face on Peacock (Natasha Lyonne in a Rian Johnson developed murder serial) is absolutely excellent.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:42 pm Poker Face on Peacock (Natasha Lyonne in a Rian Johnson developed murder serial) is absolutely excellent.
Yep. Watched the first episode last night, before realizing I needed to upgrade to some premium 'cock to watch the rest of them.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

By now you might've seen it in your social media feeds, but the last skit on SNL this weekend was absolute gold. Very silly premise, but the entire crew lost their shit and it was a lot like Debbie Downer... Skit wasn't all that hilarious, but the actors losing it so completely made it hysterical.

I haven't seen the Michael B. Jordan episode, but btwn Aubrey Plaza and this last weekend... show is on fire right now.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Reaper wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:25 pm
tennbengal wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:42 pm Poker Face on Peacock (Natasha Lyonne in a Rian Johnson developed murder serial) is absolutely excellent.
Yep. Watched the first episode last night, before realizing I needed to upgrade to some premium 'cock to watch the rest of them.
It's really enjoyable. I keep hearing the Columbo comparison, but I never watched Columbo. Reminds me of Magnum P.I. or Knight Rider or the A-Team. Solve a caper in an hour with winks at the camera and great guest stars.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I doubt Columbo holds up, but it sure was great to watch when I was a kid.

His trademark "just one more thing" after the suspect thinks they've cleared his interrogation is so copied it's comical.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Kind of feels like The Last of Us might warrant its own thread. Maybe an automatic thing for HBO Sunday night at 9 shows?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I've almost never been this guy before, but...

SNL stinks right now. They can't even write a good game show sketch and there's one every show.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I thought the Jake from State Farm/Toyota skits from the Michael B. Jordan episode were hilarious.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:47 am Kind of feels like The Last of Us might warrant its own thread. Maybe an automatic thing for HBO Sunday night at 9 shows?
Agreed.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Didn't we have a thread at one time where there was a discussion about how good of an actor Michael Keaton is?

I'm watching the Hulu show "Dopesick" (about OxyContin, the Sackler family, and the opiod crisis) and he plays a doctor in Appalachia who gets addicted to Oxy, and its really good. Grim as hell, but still interesting, and he's really good in it.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:52 am Didn't we have a thread at one time where there was a discussion about how good of an actor Michael Keaton is?

I'm watching the Hulu show "Dopesick" (about OxyContin, the Sackler family, and the opiod crisis) and he plays a doctor in Appalachia who gets addicted to Oxy, and its really good. Grim as hell, but still interesting, and he's really good in it.
I will forever be remembered as the guy who doesn't think Michael Keaton is funny at all.

I have on several occasions however said that i think he's a really good actor.
Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:52 am Didn't we have a thread at one time where there was a discussion about how good of an actor Michael Keaton is?
Started with Pruitt shitting on him

And then going here when defending himself:
Pruitt wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:39 am Sorry I touched a nerve with the Michael Keaton comment, but it's one that I will not retract.

Personal taste of course, but Mr. Mom?, Multiplicity? surprised that his star turn in Herbie Fully Loaded wasn't trotted out.

We'll agree to disagree, but (in my mind) he is to comedy what Billy Joel is to rock music.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:58 am

I will forever be remembered as the guy who doesn't think Michael Keaton is funny at all.
That's what it was. Well, then this is perfect casting, because this show isn't funny at all.
He's really good in this.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

How the fuck did I miss Mr. Mom disparagement? That is unacceptable.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:59 am
Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:58 am

That's what it was. Well, then this is perfect casting, because this show isn't funny at all.
He's really good in this.
It's so well done and you'll get madder as you get through every episode. Kaitlyn Dever is so good as well. You could tell she was going to be great all the way back from Justified.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?