The Weather

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

Re: The Weather

Post by Sabo »

Supposed to be 67 in Cleveland on Wednesday. I’m already planning to play golf.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

man i feel this. statistically WNY is something like 50+" over the historic average to this point in the year.

But for the most part it has only snowed 3 times all winter.

Granted 2 of the worst we've ever had but just one normal winter 5" drop - each time all the ground snow was gone within a week or so. it's definitely not right.

Pruitt IV wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:03 pm It's in the mid-40s today and it'll be in the mid-50s on Wednesday. It may go slightly below freezing one day in the next two weeks.

It just doesn't feel right.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

MaxWebster wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:52 am man i feel this. statistically WNY is something like 50+" over the historic average to this point in the year.

Granted 2 of the worst we've ever had but just one normal winter 5" drop - each time all the ground snow was gone within a week or so. it's definitely not right.
Three or so hours east of you, we are well below average.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:36 am
MaxWebster wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:52 am man i feel this. statistically WNY is something like 50+" over the historic average to this point in the year.

For the past 12 or so years, I’ve gotten significantly more snow in NJ than my parents in Binghamton, which was highly unusual, as Binghamton used to get hit with lake effect storms and was considered to be in the NY “snow belt.” This year, I haven’t even needed a shovel once. Had a dusting once, and a day or two with a dusting on the grass but nothing on the streets or driveway. Curious if my area has ever gone a full Winter without snow.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:48 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:36 am

For the past 12 or so years, I’ve gotten significantly more snow in NJ than my parents in Binghamton, which was highly unusual, as Binghamton used to get hit with lake effect storms and was considered to be in the NY “snow belt.” This year, I haven’t even needed a shovel once. Had a dusting once, and a day or two with a dusting on the grass but nothing on the streets or driveway. Curious if my area has ever gone a full Winter without snow.
I was just checking how long Philly's snowless streak was, but apparently we broke it on Feb 1st, with a whopping 0.3 inches of snow. First time in 325 days there was "measurable snow," where we got 0.4 inches in mid-March 2022. I can't find the last time we got a full 1 inch of snow. Oh, and it's going to be in the 60s the next three days here.

How do you all get your death notices since I left?
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

seems spot-on for today:

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

We never had a winter this year over here though
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:49 am We never had a winter this year over here though
Meanwhile, this is the first time in a long time that I am completely ready for winter to be over, and its only mid-February.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:09 am
tennbengal wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:49 am We never had a winter this year over here though
Meanwhile, this is the first time in a long time that I am completely ready for winter to be over, and its only mid-February.
Yeah - I a saw pic from one of the ski resorts on Twitter (Alta maybe) from the parking lot and…dayum.

I’ve literally only had T snowfalls here (trace). Nothing measurable.
Last edited by tennbengal on Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Woke up this morning to snow in my backyard. I think school and work had delayed reporting. People don't seem too peeved by it either.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

That's more snow than I've seen all year. Went out to get lunch, no jacket and very comfortable. Half the people on the street were in winter jackets. I would have grabbed a heavier coat if my wife didn't mention it's supposed to hit 60 today.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:21 pm That's more snow than I've seen all year. Went out to get lunch, no jacket and very comfortable. Half the people on the street were in winter jackets. I would have grabbed a heavier coat if my wife didn't mention it's supposed to hit 60 today.
Hit 70 here. Walked to the taco joint. Got a burrito, though. It was good.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:23 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:21 pm That's more snow than I've seen all year. Went out to get lunch, no jacket and very comfortable. Half the people on the street were in winter jackets. I would have grabbed a heavier coat if my wife didn't mention it's supposed to hit 60 today.
Hit 70 here. Walked to the taco joint. Got a burrito, though. It was good.
Take it to the lunch thread... (I got bao at the new Urban Space food hall. I love food halls, and my 'hood desperately needed one). Bao were great.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I love a good food hall too. Biggest traveling misstep of 2022 was eating lunch before we found out Harrisburg had a really good one.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Doesn't every city have some sort of food hall these days?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think its a semi-new trend? Like I don't recall one in Boston until after we moved unless you count Quincy Market.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It is a rapidly growing trend. Hell, Rockville has 2 of 'em. (One is Asian focused, the other is more general fare. Both quite good.)

We loved the one in Boston. And it's right next to Trillium, so that was an added bonus.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah definitely pushing toward more bad ones than good. Seems like many new developments have some sort of food hall concept. And many/all of the establishments are of the same ownership or run by landlord/owner which defeats some of the variety.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

They've def been around long enough that the restauranteurs in them know that they can now charge sit-down-restaurant prices. (Like food trucks, they used to be a 'deal'.)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:18 pmYeah - I a saw pic from one of the ski resorts on Twitter (Alta maybe) from the parking lot and…dayum.
This one?

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:32 pm
tennbengal wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:18 pmYeah - I a saw pic from one of the ski resorts on Twitter (Alta maybe) from the parking lot and…dayum.
This one?

I feel like I've seen this somewhere....
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Dammit. I was thinking maybe I'd tweeted it.

Embarassing.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

As noted it's been a mild winter around here, and it's been in the 60s all week. But it's supposed to hit the 20s tonight and tomorrow night and from what I've seen in my backyard some spring plants and baby slugs are going to regret waking up early.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its kind of a segue so I'm going to admit here that my oldest asked me how flies came back when the weather gets warmer and I had to admit I didn't know if it was hibernation, legacy eggs, migration, whatever.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:24 pm Its kind of a segue so I'm going to admit here that my oldest asked me how flies came back when the weather gets warmer and I had to admit I didn't know if it was hibernation, legacy eggs, migration, whatever.
It's shit.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's snowing here again.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My sister in Santa Cruz got snow last week. Crazy shit.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jesus fucking Christ.

At least 4 inches of snow overnight here.

This is nuts.

(The post won't let me add attachments, so I can't show you.)
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I got you

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It really is nuts. This is not CGI of the hollywood hills from yesterday...

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Forecast here is for 10-12 inches of snow between 7pm and 6 am, 40 mph winds and potential thunder snow (which I've never seen).

Should be a fun evening
Canadian International
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I got stuck for two hours Wednesday in an honest-to-goodness whiteout while driving up to Tahoe which I had never seen before, not even after 35 years of living in Michigan. Trying to drive was impossible so traffic on the highway just essentially stopped.

Tahoe got two feet of snow from the same storm and is supposed to get another two feet (with 8 to 10 feet forecasted for the mountains which will lead to serious avalanche possibilities) starting later tomorrow, so I'm getting the fuck out of here tomorrow morning.

Going to Death Valley on Sunday which is experiencing a wildflower superbloom which only happens once every two decades or so, so there's one good thing about this fucked up winter.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We’ve had more rain this winter here in the bay area than we’ve had in decades. And now an atmospheric river full of rain (and feet of snow in the Sierras) is on the way for Thursday and Friday. If this keeps up, somebody is gonna have to build an ark.

Could put this map in the cock-and-balls thread.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, rain and high winds yesterday and today. A tree branch smacked a power line up the street and we were without power for about 15 hours. Just got restored. Man, you just don’t appreciate modern convenience like electricity until it’s denied to you.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:08 pm So, rain and high winds yesterday and today. A tree branch smacked a power line up the street and we were without power for about 15 hours. Just got restored. Man, you just don’t appreciate modern convenience like electricity until it’s denied to you.
While i was in CA, we had a pretty bad windstorm. Our house lost power for about 30 hours. Had some friends who were without for over 4 days. It was pretty weird for people here, for me not so much!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Sounds like good oranges. Hard to feel but so bad since the farmers in the sierra foothills have been waiting on rain for years seemingly
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:39 pm Sounds like good oranges. Hard to feel but so bad since the farmers in the sierra foothills have been waiting on rain for years seemingly
Yeah, we keep saying. “We need this rain”, but I am getting pretty tired of it.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »